Things to Avoid Saying in a Gun Store.

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Bolt Head

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 12, 2023
    Alexandria
    At Academy Sports, the caliber is listed on the tag in the show case. 9x19 pistol's caliber is listed as '9mm Luger', which is one of many correct descriptions.
    1000002327.gif

The 9mm Luger is a .35-caliber pistol cartridge. Bullet diameter (caliber) is .355".

Bolt Head

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 12, 2023
    Alexandria
    I completely understand that companies/manufacturers are perpetuating the use of the slang term "caliber" when referring to a cartridge, chambering, which makes it that much more sad.

I also believe there is potential for DBMJR1 to just be pulling my chain. LOL

However, I'll take this opportunity to back up my claim for edumakashinal purposes :exnbp:

1000002328.jpg
    1000002329.jpg
    1000002330.jpg

Abby Normal

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 16, 2014
    Metry
    A customer told me he got a Walther PPK from a relative & needed to get some 9mm for it. I told him to check it before buying ammo. “I bet it says 9mm Kurz, that’s a .380.” I think he was disappointed when I told him it wasn’t a 9 mill.

Jstudz220

Rating - 100%
    27   0   0
    Oct 14, 2020
    Harvey Louisiana
    Some of the wildest most uninformed $hit I have ever heard is when, for amusement, I stand near the gun counter at Academy Sports. I love the absurdity that comes out of the gun clerks mouths to customers. If you just stand there looking at binoculars long enough you get to hear some fun stuff. I swear they intentionally hire people with the most retarded gun knowledge possible. There is no other explanation.
    I have to agree with this. I’ve heard some of the most absurd things imaginable coming from Academy employees working the gun counter.

AdvancedLaser

Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 15, 2021
    Covington, Louisiana
    I have to agree with this. I’ve heard some of the most absurd things imaginable coming from Academy employees working the gun counter.
    My fav was "Oh 10mm makes a much bigger hole than 9mm, its a one shot stopping round."
    <Dial calipers has entered the chat>
    (0.400in vs 0.355in)

Took everything I had not to ask....If it was a one shot stop, then why doesn't every agency in the country use it.

AustinBR

Make your own luck
    Staff member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Oct 22, 2012
    My fav was "Oh 10mm makes a much bigger hole than 9mm, its a one shot stopping round."
    (0.400in vs 0.355in)

Took everything I had not to ask....If it was a one shot stop, then why doesn't every agency in the country use it.
    Because they use 45...duh!

Jstudz220

Rating - 100%
    27   0   0
    Oct 14, 2020
    Harvey Louisiana
    (0.400in vs 0.355in)

One I’ll never forget was an older gentleman and his wife were shopping at academy to buy her a handgun for when he wasn’t around. They wanted a Glock specifically and something chambered in 9mm. After handling a few different variants of double stack 9mm Glocks the guy behind the gun counter recommended a Glock 23 instead. His reasoning for this was since it’s a slightly smaller gun than the full size variants the felt recoil would be lighter and since the lady was not interested in training much with the firearm 40 would be a better choice because it’s much stronger than 9mm and would probably only take one hit to an intruder because of it’s stopping power. I don’t like being that guy but I couldn’t help but chime in and recommend they go to a local range and rent out a few guns to shoot before making the decision.

AdvancedLaser

Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 15, 2021
    Covington, Louisiana
    One I’ll never forget was an older gentleman and his wife were shopping at academy to buy her a handgun for when he wasn’t around. They wanted a Glock specifically and something chambered in 9mm. After handling a few different variants of double stack 9mm Glocks the guy behind the gun counter recommended a Glock 23 instead. His reasoning for this was since it’s a slightly smaller gun than the full size variants the felt recoil would be lighter and since the lady was not interested in training much with the firearm 40 would be a better choice because it’s much stronger than 9mm and would probably only take one hit to an intruder because of it’s stopping power. I don’t like being that guy but I couldn’t help but chime in and recommend they go to a local range and rent out a few guns to shoot before making the decision.
    Well at least we evolved from "give her a revolver, that's all she needs" to "give her a .40"

And of course the obvious lack of understanding of mass vs. felt recoil.

Magdump

Don’t troll me bro!
    Rating - 100%
    166   0   0
    Dec 31, 2013
    Hammond, Louisiana
    Only if your hands are made of chedder.
    Well all I can say is, better quarantine that one from the rest of your rifles. Every one it touches will have a little memento to remember that contact. In fact, pretty much everything you set it on too. Truck seat, counter top, you name it. Not a wonder people welcomed the key mod and M-lock rails after those quad rails lived their short life span, lol.

Top Bottom