Truck/van/car gun

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • CUJOHUNTER

EARPLUGS??
    Rating - 100%
    156   0   0
    May 19, 2009
    New Orleans
    In less than a year I've been a victim of theft twice in which both times guns were taken. My van was broken into thanksgiving night and a Smith 638 was taken. Just recently,my house was burglarized about a month ago and several guns were taken...only one was recovered and given back to me by NOPD.

So,my question is...does anyone feel comfortable leaving a gun locked in a truck,van or car? I used to leave one in my van for "just in case" I loose my primary or forget it at home. Thankfully I've never lost a gun but I have forgotten to bring one in a rush. Since my van was broken into and working in the french quarter,I've stopped leaving a gun in the glove box...even a cheap derringer.

Any thoughts on this? Like to hear what ya'll think and get a concensus on this topic. gun in vehicle or no gun in vehicle. Thanks.

Nolacopusmc

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Oct 22, 2008
    New Orleans, LA
    1. if you had a gun stolen, and it was recovered and RETURNED by NOPD, then you cheated death one time more than most.

2. Not trying to be a ****, but if you need to keep a gun in your truck "in case" you forget your primary, then you are not taking your personal protection serious enough.

Just saying. Whether or not one feels comfortable leaving a firearm in their vehicle will depend most likely on their perception of the relative safety of their neighborhood...as if such things exist.

You have already been burned twice. I would learn from that and invest in a quality daily carry gun and carry daily.

Good luck. Where in NOLA are you?

CUJOHUNTER

EARPLUGS??
    Rating - 100%
    156   0   0
    May 19, 2009
    New Orleans
    I've stopped leaving a gun in the van since thanksgiving. I do have quality carry guns and always concious about carrying it everywhere. I've only forgotten to take it one time and that resulted in my decision to leave one in the van. Not the smartest thing to do but I've learned my lesson on that. I am always aware of my sorroundings and avoid places that are suspect. Living in the city can teach you some valuable life lessons. I do take my personal protection quite seriously...that was my only bad decision on that issue which will never happen again. Nowadays,I'd much rather carry 2 guns than leave one in my vehicle.

On another note,what about ammo? Would it be not advisable to leave spare ammo in a hot vehicle or does it really matter. I've never left ammo in my van and always carry my reloads. I'm assuming extreme heat is not good for stored ammo,is this true?

I've been a CCL holder for years now and this is the first time I've ever had an issue about any of this.

Last edited:

f350drvr

Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Jun 16, 2008
    NOLA
    Curious about how the NOPD returned the gun. How long afterwards did they return it? Where did they find it? Did they call you, or did you have to call them for a followup?

I am curious, I had a G27 stolen out of my truck about a year ago, and haven't heard anything else about it.

lsu fan

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Dec 9, 2008
    Metry
    I don't leave my gun in my truck overnight because it always stays with me.

However, when I go somewhere that I cannot carry... I bought a gunvault microvault that I keep under my seat. It has a small cable that connects it to the seat... which wouldn't really stop a determined criminal with a little bit of time, but I think it would possibly save me in a smash and grab job.. which is more likely to happen if I get broken into during the day. The microvault is also a nice place to store my GPS when I'm not using it, as my gun fits in there along with it.

XD-GEM

XD-GEM
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jun 8, 2008
    New Orleans

charlie12

Not a Fed.
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 21, 2008
    Pride
    True. High heat degrades the graphite coating on the powder grains. This coating is what controls the burn rate. As it degrades, it loses its ability to impede the burn rate; which translates into higher pressures.

Not that big of a problem with most handgun ammunition, which is relatively low pressure for the most part.

But I would be concerned about some calibers- such as .40 S&W- which are at the upper end of acceptable pressures when they come off the production line.

I made it a habit to replace my carry ammunition- both carried in my weapons on me and stored in the unit- every six months. I never had any ammo failures. I know, however, of numerous others who were not so fortunate.

So what about a 357Sig. Really bad for it too?

CUJOHUNTER

EARPLUGS??
    Rating - 100%
    156   0   0
    May 19, 2009
    New Orleans
    Curious about how the NOPD returned the gun. How long afterwards did they return it? Where did they find it? Did they call you, or did you have to call them for a followup?

I am curious, I had a G27 stolen out of my truck about a year ago, and haven't heard anything else about it.

Gun was siezed in a traffic stop that resulted in a felony drug arrest. Upon search of the vehicle,several bags of marijuana were found along with my xd9 still in perfect condition and unfired. As a matter of fact,all 16 rounds of Hydrashoks were still in the mag. NOPD held it for a week until they called me and cleared the flag with ATF.

Unit505

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 2, 2010
    I bought a fireproof safe to lock my gun in and mounted it in my truck. Gun gets locked up while I'm at work. If they want it, they'll have to break into the truck, find the safe, break into it or try to rip it from the 4 bolts mounting it to the truck and all while they chance it sitting right outside the office doors. I put foam rubber in the top and bottom of the safe and I can lock it up while it's cold out at night and when I retrieve it after sitting in the hot sun all day, it's still cold. Kind of like an insulated cooler.

Leadslugga

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 14, 2009
    Baton Rouge,LA
    I usually keep a S&W snubbie .38 under the seat of my 4-runner. I'm not too worried about my car being broken into. It doesn't seem to happen that often around here, and my vehicle is 15 years old and does not look like it has anything valuable in it. I keep the gun under the seat because since I am a student I cannot carry on campus, so I like to have something for the to-and-from trips to school, especially something I can easily tuck in my waistband if I stop at the grocery on the way home or something. Also, I think it is easier to access the gun while driving than to draw the gun in my waistband while seated with a seatbelt.

That being said, if your vehicle has been burglarized, it really comes down to a risk analysis. For me, I don't think the risk that my gun will get stolen outweighs the benefits of leaving it in the car. For you however, that may not be the case.

Still, I would one day like to get a cheap-o revolver like a charter arms .44 special to always keep in the car, since if my gun is stolen I would rather it be one I'm not particularly fond of, unlike the S&W m36 I have now.

Snookie

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    42   0   0
    May 24, 2009
    Lizzard Creek/ Springfield,La.
    PRO tection!

When I leave my gun in my truck I leave this with also it as a precaution!

viciousdog2.jpg
    :

jdindadell

Not Banned!!!
    Rating - 100%
    269   0   1
    Feb 14, 2010
    Slidell
    Since you have a mini van I would get some sort of safe and bolt it to the floor in the back... That way you can have a backup and not have to worry about it. If you carry you will have a gun on you so the spare locked in the safe will not cause any delay if you need to use a firearm. And if you forget your primary you can always get the safe gun out, and will most likely do that at a time when speed is not a necessity. Plus you will have a spare gun in case a friend needs one (better to have 2 armed people than 1). Something cheaper like a sigma or charter arms revo would do, alon with spare ammo and mags, possibly keep some mags that work with your primary as well. Or have matching guns for 100% compatibility?

homeslice

Be honest.
    Rating - 100%
    87   0   0
    Mar 13, 2009
    St. Charles Parish
    While I understand/agree with the logic, reasoning, and unfortunately being forced to leave a firearm in your vehicle.... And would also like to say that one more gun on the streets is like taking a **** in the Ocean. I would NEVER make the choice to have a "car gun." I could never live with myself if that gun was stolen and used in a murder later. It would be my fault due to my irresponsibility for not keeping it locked securely or on me. Remember: If a thief wants something bad enough, it's theirs. Don't give them a chance if you don't have to.

EJAIII

Rating - 100%
    69   0   0
    Mar 18, 2010
    Baton Rouge
    Gun in vehicle

I travel a lot. I do carry a gun in my vehicle. However, I take it out at night so that it never stays in the vehicle overnight. There's not a lot you can do if your vehicle gets broken into while you're out of it for a few hours. But keeping it in overnight is asking for trouble. It's a numbers game, and sooner or later everyone's number gets turned up.

kpm1234

Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Mar 5, 2010
    Lafayette
    While I understand/agree with the logic, reasoning, and unfortunately being forced to leave a firearm in your vehicle.... And would also like to say that one more gun on the streets is like taking a **** in the Ocean. I would NEVER make the choice to have a "car gun." I could never live with myself if that gun was stolen and used in a murder later. It would be my fault due to my irresponsibility for not keeping it locked securely or on me. Remember: If a thief wants something bad enough, it's theirs. Don't give them a chance if you don't have to.

Remember, you said it was recovered on a felony stop. 16 hydra shocks and a means of delivery in the hands of a not so nice person.

Sorry if this sounds rude, but I believe that leaving a unattended firearm in the quarter is a rather irresponsible, if not criminal in it's own right.
    Just sayin.

madmax4x4

HONKY
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    May 31, 2009
    New Orleans
    Remember, you said it was recovered on a felony stop. 16 hydra shocks and a means of delivery in the hands of a not so nice person.

Sorry if this sounds rude, but I believe that leaving a unattended firearm in the quarter is a rather irresponsible, if not criminal in it's own right.
    Just sayin.

I hate it when people keep guns in vehicles to get stolen and no one wants to help arm a thug, but keep in mind in this state the government doesn't trust it's citizen to CCW in bars. So it is, break the law or put your life and others at risk by going unarmed or keep it in your car to get to possibly get stolen by some criminal.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Bruce robison
    Top Bottom