UPDATE: Cannizarro Refuses to Charge; A friend was involved in a shooting

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Hitman

® ™
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Sep 4, 2008
    Lake Charles
    The shooting being discussed took place at 2:30AM.

Well there you go. To add to Piper's description of possible things that go on through a civilians mind during a possible 'Life in Danger' scenario,
    adding DARKNESS into the equation definitely raises the reasonable fear level, even if slightly.

side note....14 year old? 0230? :nono:

oleheat

Professional Amateur
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    May 18, 2009
    Oh, I'm sure he's been added to the list of "children" touched by gun violence. :rolleyes:

I doubt this was his first rodeo- caught before, or not.

That's one assumption I'm willing to make.

Vermiform

Free Candy!
    Gold Member
    Marketplace Mod
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Sep 18, 2006
    Shreveport - or therebouts
    ok. ill defer to your training and experience in armed encounters, i dont have any. i give.

morganfreemanhemad.jpg

Leonidas

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Mar 4, 2010
    Slidell
    The shooting being discussed took place at 2:30AM.

So you should wait until you see a gun or knife pointed at you to verify that the criminal has a weapon? There's still some room for error there, perhaps wait until they fire a shot or get a stab or two in to be really, really sure?

There's many stories where law enforcement officers have shot suspects that they believed to be armed that were later found out not to be. Could have been a cell phone, sudden movement, whatever. Fact is they don't wait around to find out for sure. And virtually every time it can be attributed to the suspect playing stupid games and winning stupid prizes. Could very well be the same deal here. 2:30AM, you are woken in the middle of the night, you're groggy, your adrenal is pumping, you walk outside to see what's going on (you can't assume he could see from inside), and there's a guy that has climbed your gate and is attempting to break into your car. What do you do then? Throw the gun down and call the police? Call NOPD before you go outside and tell them your dog is barking? How fast do you think they would show up for that? Or do you point your gun at them, give them commands to get them under control and then call police? What if they don't comply and make a movement leading you to believe they have a weapon?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 2

Or a garden hose nozzle.

oleheat

Professional Amateur
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    May 18, 2009
    Serious question. In your opinion, are the rules regarding protection of property in places like Texas immoral?

Hitman

® ™
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Sep 4, 2008
    Lake Charles
    Serious question. In your opinion, are the rules regarding protection of property in places like Texas immoral?

I don't think they are immoral. However, and oddly enough, I think someone who would kill someone else over material property, could be,
    considering all other laws for prosecuting criminals still do apply.

Like Joe Horn. Shooting people in the back as they run away with scrap metal?
    I find it hard to consider, 'that shoot' a proper moral judgement and action.

Now, do I condone such a law, no. Would I rally against it if it were going to be passed here, no.

But to be honest, if it were such an open ended immoral law,
    it seems like a **** load of people would be getting shot in Texas all the time
    .....but that's not what we see :dunno:

So clearly the law holds proper respect.

All that said,
    I'm a subscriber to the idea of
    preferring dangerous freedom,
    over peaceful slavery.

oleheat

Professional Amateur
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    May 18, 2009
    I certainly do not wish to be involved in something like that. No normal person would.

It does, however, sicken me knowing that we are at the point in many ways of "obligating" ourselves- and the possessions we have scratched and clawed for over the years (see: WORKED FOR)- to the criminal element.

There is something fundamentally wrong with that. Criminals obviously do not fear nor respect the rule of law. Jail time doesn't impress them. I believe it could be argued laws that prohibit protection of property leave them with little or nothing at all to at least make them think twice about it.

Rant over.

Cat

*Banned*
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 5, 2009
    NE of Alexandria, Cenla
    I don't think it's an immoral law. I personally feel that some use the fear excuse as that, an excuse. Since we can't prove he was afraid and we can't disprove it... We end up with something similar to the Zimmerman case.

And I really hate pointing to that case again. It's been used too much.

In Texas a person can defend property. And they can defend life. It feels to me being able to closer admit the truth to exactly why you shot someone clears the courtroom of some of this debate.

Speedracer's buddy certainly didn't intend over shooting to kill in his detached garage. But it happened and in Texas perhaps he would have been avoided arrest. I see the value of its possibilities.

But... Would I shoot someone running away over property? Honestly? Not over scrap metal. But if they killed my dog, yup.

JR1572

Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Nov 30, 2008
    Madisonville, LA
    Just in case anyone is wondering...

JR1572

§30.1. Second degree murder

A. Second degree murder is the killing of a human being:

(1) When the offender has a specific intent to kill or to inflict great bodily harm; or

(2) When the offender is engaged in the perpetration or attempted perpetration of aggravated rape, forcible rape, aggravated arson, aggravated burglary, aggravated kidnapping, second degree kidnapping, aggravated escape, assault by drive-by shooting, armed robbery, first degree robbery, second degree robbery, simple robbery, cruelty to juveniles, second degree cruelty to juveniles, or terrorism, even though he has no intent to kill or to inflict great bodily harm.

(3) When the offender unlawfully distributes or dispenses a controlled dangerous substance listed in Schedules I through V of the Uniform Controlled Dangerous Substances Law*, or any combination thereof, which is the direct cause of the death of the recipient who ingested or consumed the controlled dangerous substance.

(4) When the offender unlawfully distributes or dispenses a controlled dangerous substance listed in Schedules I through V of the Uniform Controlled Dangerous Substances Law*, or any combination thereof, to another who subsequently distributes or dispenses such controlled dangerous substance which is the direct cause of the death of the person who ingested or consumed the controlled dangerous substance.

B. Whoever commits the crime of second degree murder shall be punished by life imprisonment at hard labor without benefit of parole, probation, or suspension of sentence.

Added by Acts 1973, No. 111, §1. Amended by Acts 1975, No. 380, §1; Acts 1976, No. 657, §2; Acts 1977, No. 121, §1; Acts 1978, No. 796, §1; Acts 1979, No. 74, §1, eff. June 29, 1979; Acts 1987, No. 465, §1; Acts 1987, No. 653, §1; Acts 1993, No. 496, §1; Acts 1997, No. 563, §1; Acts 1997, No. 899, §1; Acts 2006, No. 53, §1; Acts 2008, No. 451, §2, eff. June 25, 2008; Acts 2009, No. 155, §1.

*NOTE: R.S. 40:961 et seq.

oleheat

Professional Amateur
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    May 18, 2009
    Seriously- thanks for your input, guys. :)

I don't think it hurts to sometimes actually talk about things we really wish we wouldn't have to even consider.

JR1572

Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Nov 30, 2008
    Madisonville, LA
    Damn you're right. I need to order a thin blue line sticker for my ride.

I'll have to google it. I'm sure there is a thin line color and specific stickers for forum administrators and moderators.

If I can't find one, just make one up.

JR1572

SpeedRacer

Rating - 100%
    92   0   0
    Feb 23, 2007
    Mandeville, LA
    I'll have to google it. I'm sure there is a thin line color and specific stickers for forum administrators and moderators.

If I can't find one, just make one up.

JR1572

Black is the only color that isn't taken, but it looks kinda dumb.

bedu8y6y.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Bruce robison
    Top Bottom