Vehicle tint laws for civilians vs government vehicles

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • MOTOR51

Rating - 100%
    72   0   0
    Dec 23, 2008
    here
    giphy.gif

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Jstudz220

Rating - 100%
    27   0   0
    Oct 14, 2020
    Harvey Louisiana
    Is it really legal to drive completely naked in your car? I can’t imagine that playing out well at all if someone decides to drive around butt naked and they are spotted by someone driving a higher sitting vehicle such as an 18 wheeler or maybe pulled over for a minor traffic infraction. I just can’t imagine that being legal without covering yourself in some manner but hey maybe I’m wrong.

MOTOR51

Rating - 100%
    72   0   0
    Dec 23, 2008
    here
    Is it really legal to drive completely naked in your car? I can’t imagine that playing out well at all if someone decides to drive around butt naked and they are spotted by someone driving a higher sitting vehicle such as an 18 wheeler or maybe pulled over for a minor traffic infraction. I just can’t imagine that being legal without covering yourself in some manner but hey maybe I’m wrong.

No it’s not. I didn’t want to ruin the surprise if he actually did it.

Manimal

Get'n Duffy!
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    May 27, 2007
    Louisiana

Actually YES, it is completely legal to drive naked in most jurisdictions. It is *not legal to expose yourself to others*. That cited law does not restrict nudity or sex in a vehicle, and such a law is almost entirely unheard of throughout the nation.

---
    To expand on my argument:
    On April 6, 2020, the United States Supreme Court decided Kansas v. Glover. This ruling stated that is it reasonable to pull a vehicle over when running the plates reveals that the Owner's Driver's license is revoked, because it is "Clearly reasonable to assume that the Owner of a vehicle is the Driver of that vehicle, and people make that assumption every day."
    ~This negates the argument that "The driver with tinted windows may be a criminal", because the USSC concluded that it is safe to assume that the owner of a vehicle is the driver. If the plates do not come up with a criminal record there is no reason to assume that the person is a criminal, unless their behavior shows otherwise. Speeding may be considered criminal but, if it is then morally/ethically all cases of speeding are criminal, just look at the trouble that High Speed Chases cause...and we know that almost EVERY cop wants in on those. People are killed or injured as a result of High Speed Chases regularly, just look at BR this year as evidence.
    ~The Louisiana Law regarding tint states that "No person convicted of a violent crime or drug offense shall be permitted to have tint", and "Anyone with a tint exemption shall place a tag on their vehicle." This punishes ALL Louisiana residents, implying that they are not the vehicle owner, or that they are criminals, rather than forcing people convicted of violent crime and drug offenses to have a tag on their vehicle. They require an INNOCENT public to have the tag and go through hoops to get it. Are people OK with this also OK with having a "Gun owner", "Low IQ", "CHP Holder", "Off-duty officer", "Officer's Personal Vehicle" tag on their vehicle? You cant see those things when a person is in a vehicle, but they all can impact your safety. Not even 24hrs ago an Off Duty NYPD officer pulled a gun on someone as the officer suffered from a bout of Road Rage, and this is also not uncommon because *news flash* cops arent inherently good people, they are just people doing a job. I'm not OK with it, it's a bad law. Most people are not OK with things like this because they know it's actually wrong.
    Cops who are OK with laws like this are the "constitutional conservative" and democrat cops that keep voting against Constitutional Carry, and of course they are often police union members. Their own "safety" above all...re Uvalde, plus they can teach CHP classes for profit and feel the privilege of carrying across the nation when we have to jump through hoops to never receive equal recognition of our Right to do so, even though the 2nd Amendment is so very clear.
    There are a lot of laws that need to be eliminated or changed because they are based on cowardice and control, Tint laws are one example and CCW laws are another.

GunRelated

Rating - 100%
    41   0   0
    Feb 22, 2012
    Walker, La
    Interesting. People are inherently good and shouldn't be assumed to be a criminal. Unless that person is a cop. Then they aren't inherently good.

I didn't gather this from his post. What I gathered is cops are people, just as citizens are people. Neither cops nor citizens are inherently good nor bad, it is the actions of people that determine these values and we are not to place anyone into a certain category before given proper reason.

MOTOR51

Rating - 100%
    72   0   0
    Dec 23, 2008
    here
    Actually YES, it is completely legal to drive naked in most jurisdictions. It is *not legal to expose yourself to others*. That cited law does not restrict nudity or sex in a vehicle, and such a law is almost entirely unheard of throughout the nation.

---
    On April 6, 2020, the United States Supreme Court decided Kansas v. Glover. This ruling stated that is it reasonable to pull a vehicle over when running the plates reveals that the Owner's Driver's license is revoked, because it is "Clearly reasonable to assume that the Owner of a vehicle is the Driver of that vehicle, and people make that assumption every day."
    ~This negates the argument that "The driver with tinted windows may be a criminal", because the USSC concluded that it is safe to assume that the owner of a vehicle is the driver. If the plates do not come up with a criminal record there is no reason to assume that the person is a criminal, unless their behavior shows otherwise. Speeding may be considered criminal but, if it is then morally/ethically all cases of speeding are criminal, just look at the trouble that High Speed Chases cause...and we know that almost EVERY cop wants in on those. People are killed or injured as a result of High Speed Chases regularly, just look at BR this year as evidence.
    ~The Louisiana Law regarding tint states that "No person convicted of a violent crime or drug offense shall be permitted to have tint", and "Anyone with a tint exemption shall place a tag on their vehicle." This punishes ALL Louisiana residents, implying that they are not the vehicle owner, or that they are criminals, rather than forcing people convicted of violent crime and drug offenses to have a tag on their vehicle. They require an INNOCENT public to have the tag and go through hoops to get it. Are people OK with this also OK with having a "Gun owner", "Low IQ", "CHP Holder", "Off-duty officer", "Officer's Personal Vehicle" tag on their vehicle? You cant see those things when a person is in a vehicle, but they all can impact your safety. Not even 24hrs ago an Off Duty NYPD officer pulled a gun on someone as the officer suffered from a bout of Road Rage, and this is also not uncommon because *news flash* cops arent inherently good people, they are just people doing a job. I'm not OK with it, it's a bad law. Most people are not OK with things like this because they know it's actually wrong.
    Cops who are OK with laws like this are the "constitutional conservative" and democrat cops that keep voting against Constitutional Carry, and of course they are often police union members. Their own "safety" above all...re Uvalde, plus they can teach CHP classes for profit and feel the privilege of carrying across the nation when we have to jump through hoops to never receive equal recognition of our Right to do so, even though the 2nd Amendment is so very clear.
    There are a lot of laws that need to be eliminated or changed because they are based on cowardice and control, Tint laws are one example and CCW laws are another.

Lol, if I see someone driving down I-12 naked I’m going to put them in jail. Your argument is silly but nice try. Please consult with an attorney.

MOTOR51

Rating - 100%
    72   0   0
    Dec 23, 2008
    here

---

You make a lot of assumptions about LEOs. You are wrong to think that cops love pursuits but you would know more about it that me I guess.

AustinBR

Make your own luck
    Staff member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Oct 22, 2012
    *In theory a car is an extension of your home, general so legally, and people are certainly allowed privacy in their own home. A person can drive naked lawfully on a public road, but they cannot lawfully show their naked bodies off to people without consent or "disturb the peace". If a person wanted to lawfully drive naked on public roads they would need window tint, to lawfully live freely and in the pursuit of their happiness. That likewise applies to having sex in a vehicle, where the act is not illegal but the right to engage in it is hindered by laws that restrict access to privacy or otherwise put limitations on the right.

Even though I wasn't actually saying it was unconstitutional, it is or would be found to be if pressed and in a just world.
    What I was really saying is that liberals say that "No one needs an assault weapon...except for the police and military!", and that is no different than someone saying, "Law enforcement needs tint, but the public does not." The only way we can get rid of this liberal and woke ideology, and repair the Nation, is if we are philosophically sound and sincere, even when we may not like or agree with some things. I hate window tint 99% of the time, but using it as an excuse to probe people is weak sauce and so is making someone jump through hoops to have it lawfully.
    The above is completely and utterly false. Your vehicle is not an extension of your home. Hard stop.

Fordfella

Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 8, 2018
    Lafayette, Louisiana
    Farmers are generally exempt as well. Which I'm opposed to. If I have to wear a seatbelt in my car, those farmers should have to wear one on their tractors. What makes them such a special class? Talk about rules for thee but not for me.
    Don't have to wear a seatbelt in the pasture, whether on a tractor or in my truck. Tractors don't have turn signals, brake lights, inspection stickers, don't have to pass crash tests. I've operated farm equipment with tires in such bad shape that it wouldn't be allowed on the road. I've operated farm equipment you couldn't drive on the road (Dad had a Farmall F-12 on dual steel wheels). Cars before the 60's or so didn't even have seat belts. You're argument isn't valid.

thperez1972

ESSAYONS
    Staff member
    Gold Member
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 28, 2015
    Baton Rouge, LA
    I didn't gather this from his post. What I gathered is cops are people, just as citizens are people. Neither cops nor citizens are inherently good nor bad, it is the actions of people that determine these values and we are not to place anyone into a certain category before given proper reason.
    Really? Is that what you got from his post? That he's not placing all cops in a certain category?

"just look at the trouble that High Speed Chases cause...and we know that almost EVERY cop wants in on those."

Saying EVERY cop (or even the majority of cops) isn't placing cops in a certain category? I doubt he has seen the actions of EVERY cop.

"Not even 24hrs ago an Off Duty NYPD officer pulled a gun on someone as the officer suffered from a bout of Road Rage, and this is also not uncommon because *news flash* cops arent inherently good people, they are just people doing a job. "

Saying it's common for cops to pull guns on people because of road rage? Unless those same numbers can be translated to all people doing their job, he's again putting cops in a certain category.

thperez1972

ESSAYONS
    Staff member
    Gold Member
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 28, 2015
    Baton Rouge, LA
    Don't have to wear a seatbelt in the pasture, whether on a tractor or in my truck.

It has repeatedly been stated that traffic laws don't generally apply to vehicles driven on private property.

Tractors don't have turn signals, brake lights, inspection stickers, don't have to pass crash tests. I've operated farm equipment with tires in such bad shape that it wouldn't be allowed on the road. I've operated farm equipment you couldn't drive on the road (Dad had a Farmall F-12 on dual steel wheels). Cars before the 60's or so didn't even have seat belts. You're argument isn't valid.
    It wasn't meant to be valid. It was meant to be hyperbole.

GunRelated

Rating - 100%
    41   0   0
    Feb 22, 2012
    Walker, La
    Really? Is that what you got from his post? That he's not placing all cops in a certain category?

"just look at the trouble that High Speed Chases cause...and we know that almost EVERY cop wants in on those."

Saying EVERY cop (or even the majority of cops) isn't placing cops in a certain category? I doubt he has seen the actions of EVERY cop.

"Not even 24hrs ago an Off Duty NYPD officer pulled a gun on someone as the officer suffered from a bout of Road Rage, and this is also not uncommon because *news flash* cops arent inherently good people, they are just people doing a job. "

Saying it's common for cops to pull guns on people because of road rage? Unless those same numbers can be translated to all people doing their job, he's again putting cops in a certain category.

Saying that most cops enjoy participating in high speed chases is not saying they are good or bad. I'm sure there is quite the adrenaline rush that accompanies a high speed chase, so I honestly don't disagree with this statement.

I'm not aware of any specific statistics relating to the second statement but I will comment on my perceived intention of it. While saying something is 'not uncommon' would technically have it viewed as being 'common', context is important. When context is taken into account, I personally view it as saying "these things happen more often than most may be aware of".

Also, I don't believe that statement was tethered to that specific road rage incident but more of a blanket statement, covering various criminal assault and other crimes committed by LEOs.

Last edited:

thperez1972

ESSAYONS
    Staff member
    Gold Member
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 28, 2015
    Baton Rouge, LA
    Saying that most cops enjoy participating in high speed chases is not saying they are good or bad. I'm sure there is quite the adrenaline rush that accompanies a high speed chase, so I honestly don't disagree with this statement.

"Speeding may be considered criminal but, if it is then morally/ethically all cases of speeding are criminal, just look at the trouble that High Speed Chases cause...and we know that almost EVERY cop wants in on those. People are killed or injured as a result of High Speed Chases regularly, just look at BR this year as evidence."

I would have to respectfully disagree. Saying that EVERY cop wants to be in on a criminal act that leads to death or injury isn't a neutral statement.

I'm not aware of any specific statistics relating to the second statement but I will comment on my perceived intention of it. While saying something is 'not uncommon' would technically have it viewed as being 'common', context is important. When context is taken into account, I personally view it as saying "these things happen more often than most may be aware of".

Also, I don't believe that statement was tethered to that specific road rage incident but more of a blanket statement, covering various criminal assault and other crimes committed by LEOs.

So various criminal assaults and other crimes committed by LEO is common? And that's a neutral statement?

GunRelated

Rating - 100%
    41   0   0
    Feb 22, 2012
    Walker, La
    "Speeding may be considered criminal but, if it is then morally/ethically all cases of speeding are criminal, just look at the trouble that High Speed Chases cause...and we know that almost EVERY cop wants in on those. People are killed or injured as a result of High Speed Chases regularly, just look at BR this year as evidence."

I would have to respectfully disagree. Saying that EVERY cop wants to be in on a criminal act that leads to death or injury isn't a neutral statement.

So various criminal assaults and other crimes committed by LEO is common? And that's a neutral statement?

"almost every" is not "every"

In general, crimes committed by LEOs are not uncommon and surely there are many that go unreported or that don't get caught.
    I thought I clarified my perception of his statement fairly well. Maybe he could have used different wording but the message, the way I perceived it, does not group all cops as good or bad.

M_Lee

Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Mar 2, 2021
    Metairie, LA

---
    Not true. I speak from experience.
    I was a cop in south Texas, municipal and county deputy. Two major highways ran through the county. Pipelines of drugs, money and human trafficking. Needless to say pursuits were fairly commonplace and I was in on a my share of them, whether ones that started from a stop I was trying to make or me assisting another cop/agency. I didn't like them. They can be downright scary a** madness to be a part of, but there was a bad dude on the other end of it and they needed to be stopped, and on a couple of occasions the bad guy got away because they just plain didn't give a damn if they killed somebody and we had to cut it off to avoid a wreck. Yeah, your adrenaline is off the hook when you do it and I remember sometimes shaking like I had buck fever when they were over. I recall one I assisted in, in a neighboring county where the deputy pulled alongside the car and a deputy riding shotgun shot out the tires with buckshot. Sam Pekinpah movie style stuff, though they don't fragment and such like in the movies. The tires just went flat. Looked surreal, but it ended the pursuit and a violent wanted felony suspect went to jail.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Matthew Nodier
    Top Bottom