Vehicle tint laws for civilians vs government vehicles

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • thperez1972

ESSAYONS
    Staff member
    Gold Member
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 28, 2015
    Baton Rouge, LA
    I’m not ‘exceptionally familiar’ with window tint laws. I feel tinting the windshield is a bit much. I do think tinting the upper border has a true benefit FOR safety in that if dark enough, it can cover the gap left by visors when driving directly into blinding sunlight in the morning or evening.

This should be an option from the factory.

Bigchillin83

Rating - 100%
    96   0   1
    Feb 27, 2012
    Livingston
    1658807425992.png

1658807444951.png

charlie12

Not a Fed.
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 21, 2008
    Pride
    I know the tint laws and how LE units are exempt. I have one Trooper friend that worked for a small PD before going to LSP. He said he had to put his window down in unit at night to see in his small town PD unit

I do notice LE units with no MVI stickers and I've never found an exemption for that.

Magdump

Don’t troll me bro!
    Rating - 100%
    163   0   0
    Dec 31, 2013
    Hammond, Louisiana
    "Immoral" and "danger to anyone" are rather subjective terms, wouldn't you agree? What would work better than to rely on individual morality would be some sort of agreed upon morality. In general, that is what laws are supposed to be.

I can't tell you that you are wrong. And I can't tell you that you are right. I will confess that I do not know the history behind the tint law.

With respect to privacy, a car is not an extension of your house. You have a much lower expectation of privacy in your car than you do in your house. The supreme court has repeatedly affirmed that.
    I do not agree. Immoral/indecent.
    Danger? Come on man. I had to make the call whether or not someone was a danger to themself or others for 15 years. If by ‘subjective’ you mean ‘open for interpretation’, well then, you just described a very large chunk of our laws. Aspiring attorney? I heard that BAR exam is a bitch.
    Wouldn’t you agree…hmmm

Manimal

Get'n Duffy!
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    May 27, 2007
    Louisiana
    Nothing says, "Community servant", or, "Here to protect the community", like a cop car with blacked out windows so you cant even see the shape of a person in the vehicle...looks shady af and just like every other gang banger with a ride and welfare money. It has gotten out of hand, so impersonal and detached from communities now.
    People acting like, "You're jealous because cops can have it and you cant LOL" are the same people who pretend to be for the Bill of Rights/Constitution, but they really aren't unless it's convenient for them or as long as you believe that same things at them...aka hypocrites. That's the same kind of argument that liberals make about guns, and you need to get your stuff straight with that kind of mentality.

Here's some info.
    ---

Louisiana Window Tint Law Medical Exemption <--click for article.​

Louisiana permits operating a vehicle with darker tint for the registered vehicle owner, spouse, or family member of a person who received a medical exemption. Medical conditions you can get exemptions for include World Health Organization International Classification of Disease ICD- 9-CM conditions albinoism, lupus, porphyria, or other conditions such as photophobia.
    Department of Public Safety and Corrections issues a special decal that must be prominently displayed on vehicles at all times indicating tinted windows for medical reasons. A medical exemption affidavit must also always be carried in the vehicle.
    If you received an exemption and installed a darker tint on your vehicle, you are obligated to remove it in case of sale or transfer of the vehicle.
    Any exemptions granted in Louisiana are subject to review every three years. Persons convicted of violent crimes or drug offenses are not eligible for medical exemptions.
    ---

GunRelated

Rating - 100%
    41   0   0
    Feb 22, 2012
    Walker, La
    Danger? Come on man. I had to make the call whether or not someone was a danger to themself or others for 15 years. If by ‘subjective’ you mean ‘open for interpretation’, well then, you just described a very large chunk of our laws. Aspiring attorney? I heard that BAR exam is a bitch.
    Wouldn’t you agree…hmmm
    He definitely likes the word play, just isn't very good at it. Then again, it's hard to make a good argument against this particular subject, no matter how good you are at pretending to be Jonnie Cochran.

thperez1972

ESSAYONS
    Staff member
    Gold Member
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 28, 2015
    Baton Rouge, LA
    Wouldn’t you agree…hmmm
    How fast can someone drive on the interstate before they are a danger to others?

thperez1972

ESSAYONS
    Staff member
    Gold Member
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 28, 2015
    Baton Rouge, LA
    Nothing says, "Community servant", or, "Here to protect the community", like a cop car with blacked out windows so you cant even see the shape of a person in the vehicle...looks shady af and just like every other gang banger with a ride and welfare money. It has gotten out of hand, so impersonal and detached from communities now.
    People acting like, "You're jealous because cops can have it and you cant LOL" are the same people who pretend to be for the Bill of Rights/Constitution, but they really aren't unless it's convenient for them or as long as you believe that same things at them...aka hypocrites. That's the same kind of argument that liberals make about guns, and you need to get your stuff straight with that kind of mentality.

Here's some info.
    ---

Louisiana Window Tint Law Medical Exemption <--click for article.​

Louisiana permits operating a vehicle with darker tint for the registered vehicle owner, spouse, or family member of a person who received a medical exemption. Medical conditions you can get exemptions for include World Health Organization International Classification of Disease ICD- 9-CM conditions albinoism, lupus, porphyria, or other conditions such as photophobia.
    Department of Public Safety and Corrections issues a special decal that must be prominently displayed on vehicles at all times indicating tinted windows for medical reasons. A medical exemption affidavit must also always be carried in the vehicle.
    If you received an exemption and installed a darker tint on your vehicle, you are obligated to remove it in case of sale or transfer of the vehicle.
    Any exemptions granted in Louisiana are subject to review every three years. Persons convicted of violent crimes or drug offenses are not eligible for medical exemptions.
    ---
    Are you trying to say the window tint laws are unconstitutional?

Manimal

Get'n Duffy!
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    May 27, 2007
    Louisiana
    Are you trying to say the window tint laws are unconstitutional?
    *In theory a car is an extension of your home, general so legally, and people are certainly allowed privacy in their own home. A person can drive naked lawfully on a public road, but they cannot lawfully show their naked bodies off to people without consent or "disturb the peace". If a person wanted to lawfully drive naked on public roads they would need window tint, to lawfully live freely and in the pursuit of their happiness. That likewise applies to having sex in a vehicle, where the act is not illegal but the right to engage in it is hindered by laws that restrict access to privacy or otherwise put limitations on the right.

Even though I wasn't actually saying it was unconstitutional, it is or would be found to be if pressed and in a just world.
    What I was really saying is that liberals say that "No one needs an assault weapon...except for the police and military!", and that is no different than someone saying, "Law enforcement needs tint, but the public does not." The only way we can get rid of this liberal and woke ideology, and repair the Nation, is if we are philosophically sound and sincere, even when we may not like or agree with some things. I hate window tint 99% of the time, but using it as an excuse to probe people is weak sauce and so is making someone jump through hoops to have it lawfully.

thperez1972

ESSAYONS
    Staff member
    Gold Member
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 28, 2015
    Baton Rouge, LA
    *In theory a car is an extension of your home,

If everything else you posted was based on this theory, there's no point in reading it. Your car is not an extension of your home. The supreme court has repeatedly confirmed your rights in your car are not close to the level of your rights in your home.

thperez1972

ESSAYONS
    Staff member
    Gold Member
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 28, 2015
    Baton Rouge, LA
    What I was really saying is that liberals say that "No one needs an assault weapon...except for the police and military!", and that is no different than someone saying, "Law enforcement needs tint, but the public does not." The only way we can get rid of this liberal and woke ideology, and repair the Nation, is if we are philosophically sound and sincere, even when we may not like or agree with some things. I hate window tint 99% of the time, but using it as an excuse to probe people is weak sauce and so is making someone jump through hoops to have it lawfully.
    The public has the same need for tint as law enforcement. The law allows for a security exception. Anyone who has a legitimate need for tint under that exception can submit an application for an exception to the law. Law enforcement gets an automatic exemption, presumably because any application they would submit would be approved due to the nature of their work.

You can apply for the same exemption the police get. If you meet the requirements, you will be granted the exemption. Otherwise, you are left with a few option. You can suck it up and drive on. You can appeal the decision, although I do not know the process. Or you can get the tint anyway. If you choose the latter, you may get a ticket, you may not. If you do, you can fight it. Maybe your case will set a precedent. Although I would suggest you don't use "my car is an extension of my house" as the basis of your argument.

Manimal

Get'n Duffy!
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    May 27, 2007
    Louisiana
    If everything else you posted was based on this theory, there's no point in reading it. Your car is not an extension of your home. The supreme court has repeatedly confirmed your rights in your car are not close to the level of your rights in your home.
    great argument bro.

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    rmsize
    Top Bottom