Vehicle tint laws for civilians vs government vehicles

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Jstudz220

Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Oct 14, 2020
    Harvey Louisiana
    I can’t imagine them turning anyone half decent away today. Maybe and hopefully I’m wrong but I’ve heard the standards were lowered to help with numbers for recruiting. I have no clue if that’s actually true or not, just something I heard mentioned in conversation.

bigtattoo79

Rating - 100%
    94   0   0
    Sep 12, 2009
    LA
    Actually I'm kind of happy I got turned down now that I've had time to think about it Made me realize it would've been a mistake. I do however associate with a few people that are officers, and I do respect them, as associates. I'm sorry. They aren't special. They **** like anyone else. They are just doing a job. I'm a automotive technician that works on race cars on a regular basis, but I don't get special treatment when I go to the track. Because I'm not special. Same goes for LEO.
    I’m happy you found a job you love that’s a hard thing to do now days. The LEOs I know love the path they took and never complain. I’m just amazed they stay so positive with the BS they deal with. I’m blessed to have a boss that always tells me family 1st and allows me to take off when my family needs me. My LEO friends never get that perk! the job comes 1st, storm in the gulf they are lucky to have time to pickup anything at their homes before they get stuck in some school gym or hotel while their spouse and children evacuate without them, just the amount of time some officers spend doing reports on personal time for free is mind blowing, thinking officers break traffic laws as they please is funny “I know a few LEOs units that automatically turn on camera when the lights are activated so no lights to blow red lights / forgot to buckle seatbelt the car sends a message to a supervisor / GPS keeps a log of speed / etc”, shift ends at 5 kids got baseball at 6 and someone texting and driving causes a minor accident and all officers are on calls guess what you get to miss the baseball game, I could go on and on for days with examples of things LEOs deal with that most private sector employees would quit if they had to deal with.

But like my LEO friends say it’s all part of the job and not for everyone.

KDerekT83

Hobbyist
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    I’m happy you found a job you love that’s a hard thing to do now days. The LEOs I know love the path they took and never complain. I’m just amazed they stay so positive with the BS they deal with. I’m blessed to have a boss that always tells me family 1st and allows me to take off when my family needs me. My LEO friends never get that perk! the job comes 1st, storm in the gulf they are lucky to have time to pickup anything at their homes before they get stuck in some school gym or hotel while their spouse and children evacuate without them, just the amount of time some officers spend doing reports on personal time for free is mind blowing, thinking officers break traffic laws as they please is funny “I know a few LEOs units that automatically turn on camera when the lights are activated so no lights to blow red lights / forgot to buckle seatbelt the car sends a message to a supervisor / GPS keeps a log of speed / etc”, shift ends at 5 kids got baseball at 6 and someone texting and driving causes a minor accident and all officers are on calls guess what you get to miss the baseball game, I could go on and on for days with examples of things LEOs deal with that most private sector employees would quit if they had to deal with.

But like my LEO friends say it’s all part of the job and not for everyone.
    Considering the pay, they have to love their job. They surely ain't doing it for the money. The couple I associate with do enjoy their jobs. I have to give them that. I've been an automotive tech for 20yrs now and was trying to get away from it during the period of time previously mentioned. Maybe just the as t light hearted attempt was enough to make me realize/come to terms with the fact that I do still have some passion for what I do.. Besides all that, I did notice a long time ago, a LEO in some cases can be a completely different person when in uniform than on their personal time. They kind of have to be. I get it. I've told one them outright, when he's off, I have no issues and love him to death. But "on the clock", I don't want anything to do with him and he doesn't need to contact me for anything until he gets off work. Lol. I guess it's the understanding that keeps our friendship going.

Jstudz220

Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Oct 14, 2020
    Harvey Louisiana
    Speaking of officer pay that’s something that’s always blown my mind. With the amount of money wasted in Government I think it’s time to start paying LEO, Fire fighters, first responders, and teachers a decent salary. These are literally some of the most important jobs in our society and they are towards the bottom of the totem pole on the pay scale. The benefits may be good for some but so are other jobs. They should have good benefits and good pay imo and I wouldn’t mind seeing my tax money going towards that cause.

Jstudz220

Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Oct 14, 2020
    Harvey Louisiana
    Considering the pay, they have to love their job. They surely ain't doing it for the money. The couple I associate with do enjoy their jobs. I have to give them that. I've been an automotive tech for 20yrs now and was trying to get away from it during the period of time previously mentioned. Maybe just the as t light hearted attempt was enough to make me realize/come to terms with the fact that I do still have some passion for what I do.. Besides all that, I did notice a long time ago, a LEO in some cases can be a completely different person when in uniform than on their personal time. They kind of have to be. I get it. I've told one them outright, when he's off, I have no issues and love him to death. But "on the clock", I don't want anything to do with him and he doesn't need to contact me for anything until he gets off work. Lol. I guess it's the understanding that keeps our friendship going.
    It’s the handful of bad apples that ruin it for the rest of them. I’d like to believe the majority of LEO are really good people but like most professions people see the bad and cling to it.

As far as being an automotive tech that’s got to be a job that pays off for you when your personal vehicles need maintenance or repairs. I’m just about special when it comes to working on a vehicle lol. Outside of pumping gas or doing very basic maintenance I’m spending money at a shop. It’s one thing I’ve always wished I was more knowledgeable in for sure especially thinking of all of the money spent over time that could have easily been saved if I had the knowledge.

KDerekT83

Hobbyist
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    It’s the handful of bad apples that ruin it for the rest of them. I’d like to believe the majority of LEO are really good people but like most professions people see the bad and cling to it.

As far as being an automotive tech that’s got to be a job that pays off for you when your personal vehicles need maintenance or repairs. I’m just about special when it comes to working on a vehicle lol. Outside of pumping gas or doing very basic maintenance I’m spending money at a shop. It’s one thing I’ve always wished I was more knowledgeable in for sure especially thinking of all of the money spent over time that could have easily been saved if I had the knowledge.
    Yeah, it's nice being able to keep my own cars running but there is a bad side. After spending all week fixing other people stuff, the last thing I want to do on my time off is touch a car. (Hence my racecar/truck sitting behind house with a split block). And once you help someone out one time, the phone never stops cause of people constantly asking you for advice, to help with their cars, etc....

AustinBR

Make your own luck
    Staff member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Oct 22, 2012
    I'm sorry. I'm gonna call it like it see it since nobody else will. I've noticed just by posts on this site, your **** don't stink, you know everything, and you're a general arrogant ass. Yes, alot of times you are right about a few different things, yet I've noticed you've been completely off base about alot too. It irks my damn nerves, but are you really trying to say that just because a cop is a cop, thats it ok for him to break laws that he can't ticket or arrest us for? Your little comparison was a little extreme. I mean really? What do you do for a living that you're such a kiss ass to others?
    Well, that's sweet. I didn't get the box of chocolates in the mail that accompanied this post. Must have been delayed by the postal service.

I never once said that "because a cop is a cop that it's okay for him to break laws." Ever.

I said that there are intentional exceptions written to laws that allow LE to do their job. These exceptions allow them to take risks and do things, legally, that the general public cannot.

I'm not a kiss ass to anyone. I just understand how the law is written. You should give it a shot.

AustinBR

Make your own luck
    Staff member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Oct 22, 2012
    Sorry. Perks are one thing, but getting treated completely different about abiding by or breaking a law, whether it be speeding or otherwise is not acceptable. Do I respect cops, for the most part, yes... But I don't accept that they can break traffic laws when not in pursuit of a suspect/criminal. **** that. A cops fart stinks just like mine. Cops are nothing effin special at the end of the day. I talk to them like anyone other swingin cok. Talk to me with respect, I'll do the same, you turn into a coky prick, it's time to start a measuring contest, cause I'ma make your day as rough as I can within legal limits.
    Well, there are a few other exceptions to the "break traffic laws" section of the law aside from pursuit of a suspect/criminal, but I agree with you.

LE cannot break any laws. That would be illegal. They shouldn't do illegal things.

That being said: I speed, you speed, we all speed. I've gotten out of every speeding ticket I've ever been pulled over for by just being a nice, decent person. I've also gotten out of a "California stop" stop sign ticket in the same manner.

Go peruse Youtube - You'll find plenty of cases where LEOs are ticketed or arrested for breaking laws.

Sure, most cops probably won't give other cops tickets for petty traffic offenses. But most cops are also fairly leniant with handing out petty traffic offenses anyway. Most of the folks I know in LE absolutely hate handing out tickets and only will do it if the guy is being a total asshat.

TickleChain

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 16, 2022
    Castle Doctrine
    I will say that I HATE being pulled over because I don't want to have to turn my music down.
    So, the only time I speed is to finish overtaking someone to let the speeders riding my rump pass me when I get back over. Other than that it's the speed limit, cruise control, in my own usually-loud world.
    People have told me I drive like an old man LOL

GunRelated

Rating - 100%
    41   0   0
    Feb 22, 2012
    Walker, La
    I will say that I HATE being pulled over because I don't want to have to turn my music down.
    So, the only time I speed is to finish overtaking someone to let the speeders riding my rump pass me when I get back over. Other than that it's the speed limit, cruise control, in my own usually-loud world.
    People have told me I drive like an old man LOL
    Same. Outside of a family emergency, there's not much in this world that care about enough to get in a hurry for.

AustinBR

Make your own luck
    Staff member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Oct 22, 2012
    Same. Outside of a family emergency, there's not much in this world that care about enough to get in a hurry for.
    I'm in the same boat nowadays. I'll go 9-14 over on long road trips on the interstate, but in normal life I rarely speed more than 9mph over the speed limit.

I much prefer to just leave 5-10 minutes early and to never have to worry about catching lights, slow traffic, trains, or whatever. Plus, getting to most things five minutes early has added benefits....now if only I could convince the wife of the same LOL.

Jstudz220

Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Oct 14, 2020
    Harvey Louisiana
    Well, there are a few other exceptions to the "break traffic laws" section of the law aside from pursuit of a suspect/criminal, but I agree with you.

LE cannot break any laws. That would be illegal. They shouldn't do illegal things.

That being said: I speed, you speed, we all speed. I've gotten out of every speeding ticket I've ever been pulled over for by just being a nice, decent person. I've also gotten out of a "California stop" stop sign ticket in the same manner.

Go peruse Youtube - You'll find plenty of cases where LEOs are ticketed or arrested for breaking laws.

Sure, most cops probably won't give other cops tickets for petty traffic offenses. But most cops are also fairly leniant with handing out petty traffic offenses anyway. Most of the folks I know in LE absolutely hate handing out tickets and only will do it if the guy is being a total asshat.
    I have to agree. I’ve been pulled over several times over the years for speeding especially when I was in my 20’s. Every time except once I was let off with a warning simply from being friendly kind to deal with. I even remember being pulled over by a cop in Slidell that was being a total dick to me from the second he walked up. I kept cool and treated him with respect even though he wasn’t returning the favor. When it was all said and done he let me off with a warning and sent me on my way.

The only ticket I ever received I was spending on my way to work one morning. The “lady” cop was as butch as they come and I just had a feeling she was going to write me a ticket lol. Sure enough she did but good ol NOPD dropped it down to a non moving violation and I only had to pay something like $25. I was speeding and admitted I was spending because I knew I was in the wrong. It’s hard to be upset when you get caught doing something you are well aware you’re not supposed to be doing.

I’ve since realized speeding doesn’t pay off. In all reality you can do 20mph or more over and you’ll still see the same cars you passed up when stopping at a red light. I do about 5 maybe at most now and I always set my cruise control when traveling highways. It seems like for most doing at least 10mph over the speed limit is the norm when traveling highways. I’ll set my speed control 5mph over and drive in the middle or right lane and still have cars flying past me the entire time. It’s much easier to just leave 15-20 minutes early and much more efficient for showing up on time at that.

GunRelated

Rating - 100%
    41   0   0
    Feb 22, 2012
    Walker, La

A lot of people have likely been given a pass on violations for one reason or another. This is not reason enough to be ok with certain terms.
    One should not have to rely on an officer's mood or lack of willingness to do paperwork to prevent him from being cited in violation of a law, when he harms no one any more or less than when a government employee does the same thing.
    Either it's dangerous, or it is not. Either it's beneficial, or it is not. There should be no hypocrisy in law. We are all human, no one of us is more special than the next, and the laws should reflect that.

AustinBR

Make your own luck
    Staff member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Oct 22, 2012
    A lot of people have likely been given a pass on violations for one reason or another. This is not reason enough to be ok with certain terms.
    One should not have to rely on an officer's mood or lack of willingness to do paperwork to prevent him from being cited in violation of a law, when he harms no one any more or less than when a government employee does the same thing.
    Either it's dangerous, or it is not. Either it's beneficial, or it is not. There should be no hypocrisy in law. We are all human, no one of us is more special than the next, and the laws should reflect that.
    Agreed 100%, but it's just not feasible or realistic.

Speed limits are put in place as an average safe speed (or they're intended to do so). But average is based on all of the drivers and all of the vehicles.

A Porshe 911 handles 120mph significantly better than a jacked up F150. But we can't say that all of the Porshes can go 100 mph and all of the F150s can go up to 70 mph.

Also, it'd be fairly easy to strictly enforce speed limits. Put cameras everywhere and anyone who goes one mile over gets a ticket that is enforcable. Eventually, people will stop speeding.

But that won't happen just as most cops won't write a ticket for 71 in a 70.

As for your last statement: Some people are special. It is what it is.
    If a doctor needs to go 90mph down a deserted highway to get to a hospital so he can perform an emergency surgery, I say so what. Let him.

Just as it's okay for a cop to do 90 down the same highway to quickly get to a house top stop a daughter being raped by some low life.

Or as it's okay for a firefighter in a fire truck to speed and blow through stop signs so they can get to a fire and possibly save lives or belongings.

None of these are hypocrisy in law - they're exceptions to law. It can be dangerous and beneficial, where the benefit outweighs the danger.

GunRelated

Rating - 100%
    41   0   0
    Feb 22, 2012
    Walker, La
    Agreed 100%, but it's just not feasible or realistic.

Speed limits are put in place as an average safe speed (or they're intended to do so). But average is based on all of the drivers and all of the vehicles.

A Porshe 911 handles 120mph significantly better than a jacked up F150. But we can't say that all of the Porshes can go 100 mph and all of the F150s can go up to 70 mph.

Also, it'd be fairly easy to strictly enforce speed limits. Put cameras everywhere and anyone who goes one mile over gets a ticket that is enforcable. Eventually, people will stop speeding.

But that won't happen just as most cops won't write a ticket for 71 in a 70.

As for your last statement: Some people are special. It is what it is.
    If a doctor needs to go 90mph down a deserted highway to get to a hospital so he can perform an emergency surgery, I say so what. Let him.

Just as it's okay for a cop to do 90 down the same highway to quickly get to a house top stop a daughter being raped by some low life.

Or as it's okay for a firefighter in a fire truck to speed and blow through stop signs so they can get to a fire and possibly save lives or belongings.

None of these are hypocrisy in law - they're exceptions to law. It can be dangerous and beneficial, where the benefit outweighs the danger.
    The examples you give are only used at specific times, when the benefits outweigh the risks.

Window tint cannot fall under that same umbrella because it cannot be used only when benefits outweigh the risk scenarios come into play.

AustinBR

Make your own luck
    Staff member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Oct 22, 2012
    The examples you give are only used at specific times, when the benefits outweigh the risks.

Window tint cannot fall under that same umbrella because it cannot be used only when benefits outweigh the risk scenarios come into play.
    Window tint can't easily come on or off. I'm sure a lot of the folks who actually have a need for the tint would prefer to be able to take it off when the need isn't currently happening.

Again, most departments don't do super dark wraparound tint on the majority of their cars. It's mostly the unmarked cars or a few select units that have the tinting we speak of.

GunRelated

Rating - 100%
    41   0   0
    Feb 22, 2012
    Walker, La
    Window tint can't easily come on or off. I'm sure a lot of the folks who actually have a need for the tint would prefer to be able to take it off when the need isn't currently happening.

Again, most departments don't do super dark wraparound tint on the majority of their cars. It's mostly the unmarked cars or a few select units that have the tinting we speak of.
    I speak of any tint that is darker than legal. Not all cruisers have it, but a lot of them do. Most of the ones I see in my area do.

2d51b4467f52725575e88bc206969ce9.jpg
    ba4efdf86060e87a5c4967868111b566.jpg
    8c78a13ca7499fe3e482426422475e28.jpg
    5a378f4773e331451360ce00f2a09417.jpg
    b03c195f92e1351387f60b485e04d366.jpg
    6718249e31379a9035b5456a505de708.jpg
    eed602bce9a26073ec61e345957e6d39.jpg
    83310c135ae750a2ec7342ed048c84cf.jpg
    b332c13bb069f5940e98fa394b876d6e.jpg

GunRelated

Rating - 100%
    41   0   0
    Feb 22, 2012
    Walker, La
    You know, it's a little insulting, if I'm honest. If you look up nearly any department's Facebook page in the area, you will find pictures of them showing off their nice cruisers with blacked out windows. Some of them displayed prominently and proudly at the top of the page.

Rules for thee but not for me.

thperez1972

ESSAYONS
    Staff member
    Gold Member
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 28, 2015
    Baton Rouge, LA

I always felt the goal of pulling someone over for a traffic stop was to make sure the person understood the law and what they did to violate the law. If I got the impression they understood, and were likely to be discouraged from doing it again, I felt a warning was all that was needed. If someone decided they would rather have a long discussion as to why I was wrong for stopping them, I was fine with that as well. But in most of those cases, the discussion would be moved from the side of the road. They got a ticket so we could pick up the discussion at a later time and a judge could act as a referee.

Top Bottom