Want to by a 9mm...need suggestions

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • JBP55

La. CHP Instructor #409
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    340   0   0
    Apr 15, 2008
    Walker
    Come to barneys and try them out. we have a bunch of different 9mm's including a couple cz models and glocks, etc

but i vote for the CZ 75B!!! just got one today, check out my write up:
    http://www.bayoushooter.com/forums/showthread.php?60513-Just-got-my-new-CZ-75B.
    262275_10150204958416891_640896890_7523710_6098521_n.jpg

Read post 81.

ericlosh

Rating - 100%
    46   0   0
    Jul 31, 2011
    Slidell LA
    im mulling over 9mm ideas for later down the road and the g19 is something im considering, and someone mentioned in this thread (sorry i dont know how to quote) it has a different feel than the g17, i gueass ill have to handle one soon and see how it compares to my g17

JBP55

La. CHP Instructor #409
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    340   0   0
    Apr 15, 2008
    Walker
    im mulling over 9mm ideas for later down the road and the g19 is something im considering, and someone mentioned in this thread (sorry i dont know how to quote) it has a different feel than the g17, i gueass ill have to handle one soon and see how it compares to my g17

You hit reply with quote and type below it then hit post quick reply.

supertramp

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 3, 2011
    I had a 9mm Glock for 11 years and shot a couple thousand rounds through it without a malfunction of any sort. If the Glock feels good in your hand and you were proficient in shooting it, I would not change. I think the Glocks have a good sight plane, a good grip feel for my particular hand and functioned flawlessly over the years while subjected to all kinds of weather (snow, rain, freezing temps)

automan71

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    42   0   0
    Mar 4, 2009
    New Iberia
    UPDATE...I had a deal on a G19. However, something came up and I couldnt get it right away, so I missed that deal. Anyway, this gave me more time to read and check out other models. Well, stopped by Barneys one day, and looked at some trade-in Sig P228's they had. It felt pretty good, and the reviews I'd read were all positive. I got bit. I bought one that day. I went to the range several times with it and shot it very well. I like the trigger. It was smooth even though the reset was a little long. I fired about 500rds thru it, and really like it, but the itch for another Glock never subsided. Anyway, I recently traded into a G34. I took it to the range today, and wow! I was literally shooting groups inside of the groups of the Sig at 15yds. I think it just comes down to one point..the Glock fits MY hand better. It's wide blocky grip gives my big palms the right amount of real estate. After shooting it a bit, I went back to the Sig and it's grip felt quite a bit smaller. So, I have a Glock back in the stable. I'll probably hang on to the Sig, as it's a great gun in it's on right...kinda cool too, with it's holster wear. Thanks again to all who chimed in, and trying different guns is the only way to figure out what fits. U have to let it kinda choose you. Lol!

Last edited:

Sin-ster

GM of 4 Letter Outbursts
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    I'd honestly guess that the 1.5" of barrel and even more sight radius plays a pretty big role in the accuracy differences you're seeing. If you ever get a G19, it'd be a better comparison to the P228.

If you happen to have one of the DAO P228's-- it's more like an apples to potatoes comparison.

Not to mention that on a trade in, there is a chance that the gun has seen some accuracy-robbing wear and tear-- probably from improper cleaning more so than use. While Sig's refurbishing process is pretty detailed, I have definitely heard of some lemons slipping past in this regard-- especially since their QC has fallen way off in the past few years.

I am by no stretch of the imagination a Sig fanboi, and I don't think you're necessarily comparing the two guns based on brand. But there's a lot of factors outside of the way the gun handles coming into play here. To top it off-- the G34 isn't exactly "carry friendly".

automan71

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    42   0   0
    Mar 4, 2009
    New Iberia
    I really wasn't comparing the two. There's too many difference between them. I was just stating what had happened after I posted I was getting a G19. Having had a G17 for a few years, then getting rid of it for foolish reasons, I wanted another 9mm, and have come to the conclusion that the G17 & G34 fit me better... It's not how IT handles but how I handle it. I believe the way it fits ME allows me to shoot better, no matter the barrel length or sight radius..(this was only 15yds, I think barrel length and sight radius wd play a factor at much longer ranges.) I think I'd shoot the G19 almost as well. Also, I think the Sig is probably more accurate than I am, it's just the way it fits me is what keeps me from shooting it as well. Although, I think i cd get better with it after more practice. I just feel the Glock is more natural to me. As for as carry, this will be mostly for range time w/ occasional carry at the camp. I have my sights on a G26 for my carry piece! Lol. ;)

Last edited:

Sin-ster

GM of 4 Letter Outbursts
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    I really wasn't comparing the two. There's too many difference between them. I was just stating what had happened after I posted I was getting a G19. Having had a G17 for a few years, then getting rid of it for foolish reasons, I wanted another 9mm, and have come to the conclusion that the G17 & G34 fit me better... It's not how IT handles but how I handle it. I believe the way it fits ME allows me to shoot better, no matter the barrel length or sight radius..(this was only 15yds, I think barrel length and sight radius wd play a factor at much longer ranges.) I think I'd shoot the G19 almost as well. Also, I think the Sig is probably more accurate than I am, it's just the way it fits me is what keeps me from shooting it as well. Although, I think i cd get better with it after more practice. I just feel the Glock is more natural to me. As for as carry, this will be mostly for range time w/ occasional carry at the camp. I have my sights on a G26 for my carry piece! Lol. ;)

Indeed. Just didn't want you to throw out an option based solely on accuracy performance. Although personally, I'd sacrifice accuracy performance for ergo's anyway.

G17, G34, G19, G26-- sounds like you need to own one of each my friend. Then there's no reason to be so choosy!

EDIT to add, out of curiosity: Do you have large hands? (Keep it clean-- I'm just curious what makes the Glock feel better to you.)

rmorgan9718

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 17, 2011
    Houston
    can't beat CZ for accuracy, dependability, and feel. I have weird shaped bear paws for hands, and they just fit, and bullets listen to me and go where they are supposed to. 'nuff said.

JBP55

La. CHP Instructor #409
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    340   0   0
    Apr 15, 2008
    Walker
    can't beat CZ for accuracy, dependability, and feel. I have weird shaped bear paws for hands, and they just fit, and bullets listen to me and go where they are supposed to. 'nuff said.

You said your XD was the most dependable so where does the CZ fit in?

Top Bottom