Want yalls opinion and advice please

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • LSU

The Best There Is
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Nov 15, 2010
    Baton Rouge, LA
    I am thinking about joining the military next summer to help pay for school and to serve my country. I am unsure which branch I want to go in, but am thinking about doing MP or Air Force Security Forces. I am wanting to go with the police side of the military because I plan on being a game warder on the law enforcement side of things. What are yalls opinions/advice on MP in the different branches, and if I do ROTC to become an officer would that work with MP? Also do you know about the typical deployment of MPs, like if and when I would be deployed would I be securing the streets and that stuff like the infantry? Any and all advice would be greatly appreciated.

Last edited:

charlie12

Not a Fed.
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 21, 2008
    Pride
    I have a friend that just retired from the Army. He had a CJ degree when he went in but didn't want to be a officer. So he started out as a enlisted MP ended up about 20 yrs later as a CWO 3 in CID. Now he has a good job working in FBI

RyanW

Koch-head
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Nov 5, 2010
    Baton Rouge
    The best advice I can give you is to go officer. You'll make more money, live better, and have a real resume when you're ready to return to civilian life. All military police go train at fort leonard wood, so you get the same job training regardless of branch. Air force lives better than any other branch, marine corps lives as poorly as they were legally allowed to force us, especially enlisted.

Hitman

® ™
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Sep 4, 2008
    Lake Charles
    If your goal is to attend college while serving in the Military, the Marine Corps is not for you.

Your best bet is to get your education done before or after unless you plan on going Career Military. Nothing wrong with either option.

One such example I know of;
    Guy gets contract{in writing} (MOS 5811/Military Police) BEFORE leaving for Bootcamp.
    Marine gets out of Bootcamp and goes to the LE-MP Course
    Marine then gets assigned to The Fleet, Field MP Battalion
    Marine Goes on Deployment(Sometimes 2 within first enlistment)
    Marine now has approx. 12 months or less before getting out and is assigned to Garrison(Base) MP Battalion.
    Marine starts College while working normal MP Duties on base.
    Gets Honorable Discharge.
    Gets reserve job with local police force while finishing school.
    Graduates with CJ degree and goes State Police.
    -The End-

I do not know a single Marine that has ever earned a 4 year degree on Active Duty in their first Enlistment. There simply is NOT enough time to do so.

Hitman

® ™
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Sep 4, 2008
    Lake Charles
    Here let me assist,

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t8Nf1MK7lts[/ame]

Let me also recommend;

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5j2F4VcBmeo[/ame]

Tim67

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 20, 2010
    EBR
    Doing ROTC first will give us a chance to elect a Commander in Chief who respects the military before you join it.

Jed

Bloody Foreigner
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 27, 2009
    Clearwater Beach, FL
    Can't give you any advice regarding schooling, but would guess the hitman is on the money.
    As far as what branch, from my time with the Brits, the army gets fed ****, the navy :dunno:...never messed with them, but the RAF gets the good stuff and apart from the rock apes are generally pampered throughout.
    With respect to your age, having a career in mind so early in life is admirable, but be aware that it is always subject to change as lifes little experiences come and bite you in the ass.
    Whatever you decide, do some time with the armed forces, you will not regret it.

bronzdragon

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 18, 2011
    Yardley, PA
    If things are still the same, you can't go SP on first enlistment in the Navy. Just something to think about. (They want you to have a little rank before going SP.)

I'd have to agree with the other guys saying, that if you can, get a degree before going and go in with a bar on your shoulder, whichever service you choose. I had a degree, but only 2 year when I went in. Ended up a blue shirt with a little rank. Did my 6 and got out and got another, mostly paid for by my G.I. Bill. The military is good for you in more ways then one, just remember it's a mind game and always make wise decisions (as much as possible.)

I give you due credit and a salute for considering the military, so many younger guys I've met are not the same.

~rc~

jmcrawf1

Rating - 100%
    70   0   0
    Jan 20, 2008
    Madisonville
    Keep in mind, the LSP minimum qualifications are 60 college credit hours OR 3 years active duty. You could easily finish up your degree AFTER getting hired.

AFAIK LSP has the most stringent hiring requirements in the state as far as police go.

afwxman

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 26, 2008
    Haughton, LA
    As I close in on retirement from over 20 years in the US Air Force, here is my advice to you.

If you want to be some kind of Law Enforcement when you get out then AF LE is for you. Keep in mind, the shifts they work are long, usually in the 13-14 hour time frame. The shifts are 12 hours, then you have to add in picking up your gear, gaurd mount and then travel to your post. Then at the end, usually another meeting and dropping off your gear.

Deployments are many and you could end up spending alot of time away from home.

Also, there is no guarantee you will end up being Law Enforcement. Sometime ago, the AF merged the Security Forces and Law Enforcement functions, so you may end up guarding a plane or an Entry Contol Point to the flight line.

Someone stated in the post that you wont have time to get a degree during your active duty, and that person is correct, it can be done, but it will take alot of work off duty and your degree program will be interupted alot by deployments and exercises.

I have been stationed, or worked with every branch of the Armed Forces with the exception of Coast Guard, and no insult to my Marine Corp and Army brothers, I would highly recommend the Air Force. You do live better, are generally treated better, and the AF has education high on its priority list.

If you are joining the military just to get money for college, I would recommend a staff job of some sorts, one that works normal office hours like finance, or personnel. There hours are usually 730-1530 with time in between for PT and normally you have time during your day to work on school. Also usually NCO's are open to changing your schedule to accomadate classes you are taking. Plus deployments are fewer and farther between. If you are joining for a career and want a job you will love, go for what you want to to, and know after 3-4 years, if you dont like your job, it is possible to crosstrain into another career field

Officers do make alot more money, but the amount of crap they have to put up with is 20 fold over what an enlisted person has to deal with, plus the polital games and always being politcally correct made me choose my course to eventually end in the Senior NCO ranks.

One more thing, if you get good scores on the ASVAB (70's or higher), make sure you get your recruiter to give you a guaranteed job, do not, I REPEAT, DO NOT go in "Open General" You could end up doing a job you hate or that doesnt fit into your goals.

PM me if you have any questions

Hitman

® ™
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Sep 4, 2008
    Lake Charles
    Officers do make alot more money, but the amount of crap they have to put up with is 20 fold over what an enlisted person has to deal with, plus the polital games and always being politcally correct made me choose my course to eventually end in the Senior NCO ranks.

Glad you said that. I try and relay this message on here too. Lots of folks are quick to throw out the "better to be an officer" advice but most all of them are NOT Officers themselves.

I also wanted to point out that for what it's worth the OP Tempo has drastically decreased since the pulling out of Iraq has commenced. Earlier I mention a MP going on a possible 2 deployments, I was actually thinking Infantry and failed to acknowledge the end of the Iraq War. So it's more likely that as an MP you'll only deploy once. Two would be a stretch but could depend on your performance :D

Secret Squirrel

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 28, 2011
    BAFB
    I would highly recommend the Air Force.

Have to agree with AFWXMAN, some great advice. I too am Enlisted Air Force, I had originally planned to do four years then get out, 14.5 years later I still wake up and look forward to going to work. I have spent a lot of time with and have mad respect for all branches of the service no matter what job/rank "Even Puddle Pirates" aka Coast Guard. ;)

The best thing you can do for your country is protect it, the best thing you can do for yourself is choose a job you love. If you change your mind you have a lot of options, from separating after your time is up to applying to be commissioned as an officer. The selection process is tough but several of my close friends have done it. Like Hitman and Afwxman I'll echo officer life is not for all, just as enlisted life is not for all. There are no officer positions in my career field, I’ll gladly take the pay cut to do something I love. Belive me the pay is not bad as enlisted. I have four healthy spoiled kids and plenty of toys (hobbies).

attachment.php

x-457-picture1205-good-times.jpg

attachment.php

No doubt you'll work long hours in the military. Chose a job you love and that 16 our day will be 4 hours work 12 hours play. Whatever Military path anyone takes I salute them!

Vanilla Gorilla

The Gringo Pistolero
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Feb 22, 2008
    Being an Infantryman is way better preperation for cop life than being an MP. In my expirence MPs struggle with the transition and the pace and volatility of the real world. Grunts do not. But I am biased RLTW.

Top Bottom