Want yalls opinion and advice please

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Jed

Bloody Foreigner
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 27, 2009
    Clearwater Beach, FL
    Being an Infantryman is way better preperation for cop life than being an MP. In my expirence MPs struggle with the transition and the pace and volatility of the real world. Grunts do not. But I am biased RLTW.

Agreed, and I think every armed forces graduate must struggle with civillian life upon re-entry, and many will continue to do so for decades afterwards....I know I do.

Hitman

® ™
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Sep 4, 2008
    Lake Charles
    Agreed, and I think every armed forces graduate must struggle with civillian life upon re-entry, and many will continue to do so for decades afterwards....I know I do.

Hear Hear!

The wife and are still dealing with these issues and I haven't been in a combat zone in 6 years.

TomTerrific

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 11, 2010
    Centre, Ky
    I have a friend whose son ended up in the MPs after doing ROTC at LSU. If you pm me your phone number and I can give it to him. He lives across the river and I think they have phones now.

His boy ended up in Military Intelligence learning Arabic and French. My son is in the same program but learned Russian. This hasn't kept him from a couple of tours in Iraq teaching police stuff, the MP, not my son.

Both my children used ROTC to help pay for their education. My daughter is career NG/QMC and my son MI.

millertime

Rippin' and Tearin'
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 25, 2011
    Youngsville
    Have you considered joining the Army National Guard? I know they have MP platoons, but I don't know if they had to go regular Army first. You can get tuition exemption and the G.I. bill while in school.

stormrider54

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 8, 2010
    Dutchtown
    My son was linguist in Air Force. He signed up, took a battery of test and was asked by the recruiter "What do you want to do, name it you got except pilot, his vision wasn't quit good enough.
    He choose to be linquist. served his first couple of years in school in Calif. Went on to Korea (loved it). Decided to do 20 years but after 10 he started having back problems. They discharged him and put him on disability. Now draws pension @ 30yrs old. Has Korean wife and child and works for a military contractor. (well known contractor with good name) The company he now works for pays living expenses plus salary and he is still in Korea. He speaks the language thanks to Air Force.

My son in law enlisted in Air Force is stationed in OK. He likes it fine and is air craft mechanic.

Life is what you make of it with your choices and decisions and as I tried to relate to you, you never really know what is going to happen but if it were me I would choose Air Force but realize I am biased. Just pick the right skills that can help you later in life. Score high enough on the test they give you to get in an you can probably do like my son did, train for whatever he wanted.

Hope this helps and thanks for considering the military. Good Luck

armorkav

armorkav
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 24, 2010
    hattiesburg ms
    military police

I have trained hundreds, if not thousands of air force mp's prior to deployment and to a man they all told me that they should have joined the Army because the air force is soft on standards. Join the Army for two years as a combat arms soldier and you will have met almost all states requirements for college and/or training purposes. Also, question yourself,why do you want to become a policeman? To serve? To protect? or to Bully?

leVieux

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 9, 2008
    New Orleans
    I have a friend that just retired from the Army. He had a CJ degree when he went in but didn't want to be a officer. So he started out as a enlisted MP ended up about 20 yrs later as a CWO 3 in CID. Now he has a good job working in FBI

Mr "Butthole",
    Don't you mean that you "have a friend WHO..........................?
    Especially since you are our editor now!
    leVieux

leVieux

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 9, 2008
    New Orleans
    Consider this:

In the Navy, you could wind up on a ship or sub.
    In the USCG, you probably would be on a ship, or less.
    The US Army & USMC could deploy you to a foxhole where folks are shooting AT YOU.

The USAF will always put you at a U.S. Air Base. U.S. Air Bases are all well-protected and air-conditioned. They have officers' clubs, movie theaters, restaurants, bars, churches, and girls. Swimming pools, golf courses, and airports. Unless one volunteers to be a USAF sniper, there are no fox holes there.

Seems like a very, very simple decision to me.

If you stay at LSU and in the ROTC until you GRADUATE, your military life will be a lot more interesting and much easier.

If you want to be a career game warden, get a wildlife related B.S. and a MBA in governmental management. Then, you will have a career path to the "top slots".

leVieux

Hitman

® ™
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Sep 4, 2008
    Lake Charles
    Consider this:

The US Army & USMC could deploy you to a foxhole where folks are shooting AT YOU.

The USAF will always put you at a U.S. Air Base. U.S. Air Bases are all well-protected and air-conditioned. They have officers' clubs, movie theaters, restaurants, bars, churches, and girls. Swimming pools, golf courses, and airports. Unless one volunteers to be a USAF sniper, there are no fox holes there.

If you stay at LSU and in the ROTC until you GRADUATE, your military life will be a lot more interesting and much easier.

If you want to be a career game warden, get a wildlife related B.S. and a MBA in governmental management. Then, you will have a career path to the "top slots".

leVieux

Consider this.

If everyone thought like this we'd have no Military to speak of.

Military service is not about how luxurious of stay you'll have.

Vanilla Gorilla

The Gringo Pistolero
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Feb 22, 2008
    Not to mention its inaccurate. Airman are all over the battlefield and serving in roles never before envisoned. Joining the Air Force is no guarantee of luxury.

Nolacopusmc

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Oct 22, 2008
    New Orleans, LA
    If you join the military within the next 5-10 years, any branch, expect to get deployed. That will give you a life experience like no other that will put a lot of things into perspective for you. I have people all the time that ask me to talk to their kids about being in the military, or specifically the Marines.....first question:

1. What do you hope to get out of military service?

If they say they want money or skill sets for college, I generally send them to the Navy or Air Force.

2. The Marines does not have the same programs that the other services have. Regardless of how you feel about it, the USMC is the hardest and longest boot camp. It is also regarded, even among other services, to be the "toughest" of the services. Marines are continually asked to do more with less. It is kind of a sick badge of honor to make it through the "abuse". Kind of how so many people like to "claim" the hood. if that is something that is important to you, then obviously the Marines are the way to go.

I am actually contemplating getting back in the Army or Nat Guard as an officer with my degree to be a helo pilot. Just not sure if i want to do the whole deployment thing again, and most of my school is already paid anyway.

There is pride in all the services, but I have never seen any pride like I have seen from the Marines. Like almost every question in life, it is all about what your goal is that determines how you get there. I know where I was in life at 18, and I am profoundly thankful for what the Marine Corps did for me in shaping me into a young man in the absence of a positive father figure at the time. I am sure something similar would have happened in the Army or Navy, but I do not think it would have been to the degree and in the manner I experienced in the Marines. Like I said, there is a special pride that comes with being part of something bigger than you, especially something held in such high esteem as the Marine Corps. I have opened a lot of doors, gotten a lot of jobs, and met a lot of people due simply to the fact I was a Marine and the immediate respect and assumed level of professionalism that comes with that. It opens doors, what you do with that door is up to you, but the Marines definitely help equip you with the mental and character tools to help you make good decisions. Most of my success at jobs and in my personal life has come from my attention to detail, integrity, and discipline,.....all attributed to my 11 years as a Marine.

I can tell you this though.....I just got moved from my small site to one of the larger camps as a liaison and intell guy (honestly, it is more like a glorified quartermaster ;) ) , and out here you are either out there getting shot at and blown up daily, or you are a fobbit on the base. The majority of the guys and gals here are punching a clock until they get home, and to be honest, I do not fault them.

Every morning I go to a classified briefing for about an hour, and it is an Air Force Lt Colonel that is the Deputy Commander for the entire area of operations (AO) , and a Full bird Army Colonel that is the Commander for the AO. There are reservists and active duty, and the only service I have not seen is the Coast Guard. The force is primarily Army and coalition forces from France, Germany, Italy, Lithuania, Spain, and others.

Based on your postings, if you just want to get some street cred to eventually become a cop, and do not plan on making the military a career or getting into a highly specialized job field, I woud recommend a grunt in the Army. You will deploy (no matter what honestly) and you will learn more leadership, team work, discipline, than you will most likely in any other field. Also, it opens the door wide for you to get into a specialization that may prove way more beneficial to you in the LE careers than MP like- EOD, K-9, special forces, intelligence, etc. These fields while not directly transferrable, equip you with skill sets at the cost of the government that are highly sought after in law enforcement and private security fields.

In VERY few departments, does MP experience directly transfer into LE experience. You will still need to go through an academy. Honestly, you have more leverage today with a 4-yr degree than with specifically Mp experience. MP experience does not necessarily give you a leg up on the infantry or comm or cook guy, and it actually has very little to do with preparing you for civilian LE work. ALmost all LE functions on military bases stateside is contracted out, even on Marine Bases. MP's are deployed as base security or into the field as grunts. I would prefer to be a grunt prepared to be a grunt than an MP thrown into a grunt role.

If you want the opportunity of a lifetime to really get into some serious ****, massive bragging rights, be part of a brotherhood and camaraderie like no other, free drinks at the bars, chicks falling at your feet, and the most kick ass uniform known to man, then the Marine Corps would be your obvious choice. :D

Best of luck and let me know if I can be of further assistance.

Last edited:

jms

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 25, 2009
    Franklinton,La.
    Consider this:

leVieux

With all due respect exactly how much time did you spend in the military did you spend? Did you get deferment after deferment to become a M.D. ? Sir I think you are probably a great person but know nothing about the military! One has to get their feet wet to know what the water is like. ;) 10 years U.S. Navy, 100% Service Connected disabled Vietnam veteran .

LSU :follow you dream and stay in school ,join a weekend warrior military reserve such as , A.F. or Navy to get some experience in life. Discuss you dreams with a caring recuriter and by all means get it in writing signed by that recuriter what school options you would to attend.
    I helped my neighbors kid join the Marine reserve 8 years ago after H.S. They sent him to Aviation Electronics school for nearly a year .He is now with the La. State Police Troop L. Good luck to you sir.

Vanilla Gorilla

The Gringo Pistolero
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Feb 22, 2008
    If u want to join the militay to learn the lessons serving can teach IMHO being a Grunt in the Army or USMC is the only way to go. There are lessons one learns only from serving alongside hard men in hard times. People in this thread aretalking about foxholes like they are a bad thing which tells me they haven't ever shared one with a brother.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    jamesernestomurray
    Top Bottom