What are some Handgun recommendations for home protection?

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Martman300

Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Nov 12, 2018
    Gretna, la
    Fully agree.
    Sig rifles are one thing. You couldn’t pay me to carry a sig pistol made after the 226. I’m good on being a companies R&D.

It absolutely blows my mind that some folks still own/carry a 320 variant.

I suppose carrying the 365 wouldn’t be terrible. Just hope you work in the AC and never sweat or that thing will have rust all over it.
    True!

I tried the P320 I got in trade, thinking I would just use it for home defense. Negative.

The Sig guys are loyal though. Just like the Glock guys.

The 365 felt like a popsicle stick in my hand. Not to mention all the initial issues and now the rust one.

hotbiggun

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 25, 2023
    Louisiana
    True!

I tried the P320 I got in trade, thinking I would just use it for home defense. Negative.

The Sig guys are loyal though. Just like the Glock guys.

The 365 felt like a popsicle stick in my hand. Not to mention all the initial issues and now the rust one.
    With all the positive reviews on youtube i thought the 365 was the greatest pistol since the glock 26.

AdvancedLaser

Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 15, 2021
    Covington, Louisiana
    A revolver is dead simple, no safety, single or double action. And if you practice and are proficient then 6 rounds should take care of any issue.
    Or consider a shotgun, a youth model in 20 gauge with buckshot is a nice option.
    "Should take care of any issue"
    Said by someone who has never had to use force.
    Pro tip, humans are hard to stop, especially when there is several of them.

Original Poster, please speak to someone with any type of ballistics, or tactical knowledge, before you go down the 6 shot revolver route.

SwampyDog

certified gun nut
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Jul 3, 2012
    Killian
    I like where your mind is at but I see a slight issue. If y'all only get the one gun and you're carrying it while out an about alone, she has no defensive tool at the house. If you're dead set on a handgun for home use, get two. A very, very underrated and overlooked pistol is the Beretta PX4 Storm and it has all the features you're looking for. They are good to go stock but with a couple of new springs they become amazing. They make a full size for the house and a compact for carry. This way you can have a dedicated house gun and set it up with a powerful weapon light but the rest of the controls are exactly the same as your carry gun. Two downsides, but they are pretty minor when compared to the performance of the gun as whole in my experience. They are a bitch to mount a dot on and they don't have the same variety of aftermarket support or holsters compared to the other major brands. There are also some options in the CZ stable you could do the same with but I'm less well versed on those.
    Hello, Recently got into firearms as I’m starting to understand it’s something I should definitely have to protect myself & family especially living in the Baton Rouge area.

Im looking for any recommendations specifically handguns - for around the house me and my girl started going to the range so Im looking for something good we both can use effectively in case of emergency.

La26

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 4, 2011
    Paulina, La.
    Consider a revolver. The .38 special has worked for many years. You can shoot light, reduced recoil loads for fun and keep it loaded with more powerful self defense ammo. You don't have to worry about operating a slide, which some females find rather difficult.

AdvancedLaser

Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 15, 2021
    Covington, Louisiana
    Consider a revolver. The .38 special has worked for many years. You can shoot light, reduced recoil loads for fun and keep it loaded with more powerful self defense ammo. You don't have to worry about operating a slide, which some females find rather difficult.
    Hell yes, you should not train with the ammo you actually keep in the gun, so you have no idea how it feels or what it can do.
    There is a suggestion I can get behind.

Standby for "All a female needs is a revolver"....That's got to some at some point in this thread. Its the only thing missing.

La26

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 4, 2011
    Paulina, La.
    Hell yes, you should not train with the ammo you actually keep in the gun, so you have no idea how it feels or what it can do.
    There is a suggestion I can get behind.

Standby for "All a female needs is a revolver"....That's got to some at some point in this thread. Its the only thing missing.
    Every Police Dept that carries (or carried) a revolver, trains and qualifies with practice ammo. They are issued duty ammo to be carried in the weapon while they are working. I guess if it's good enough for them, it should be good enough for a little lady that will be so pumped full of adrenalin when that times come, she won't feel the recoil or hear the gunshots. But argue if you will.

AdvancedLaser

Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 15, 2021
    Covington, Louisiana
    Every Police Dept that carries (or carried) a revolver, trains and qualifies with practice ammo. They are issued duty ammo to be carried in the weapon while they are working. I guess if it's good enough for them, it should be good enough for a little lady that will be so pumped full of adrenalin when that times come, she won't feel the recoil or hear the gunshots. But argue if you will.
    And as weapons improved so did their training methodology. Even quoting revolvers as an option dates your knowledge base. Being stuck in 1980's weapons also keeps you stuck in 1980's tactics. Your line of thinking needs to evolve sir. A Police Dept is a corporation with a budget. They have to view it from that line. I can specifically tell you this is not correct now. A huge number of agencies and teams practice, and qualify with their duty ammo. It is also litigated as to why when at a shooting trial.

Did you or anyone on this comment thread ever think if revolvers are so good, then why does absolutely no modern Police/Sheriff use them? They have the option to and they dont. Because they may encounter multiple aggressors who dont stop with a single or a dozen rounds in them. High miss rates and poor stopping effectiveness is why. How is this any different for a civilian in your home ???

With your analogy, why train with ammo at all ? If she is going to be so full of adrenalin then she will ignore the sound and recoil of the rounds, so better to just let her dry fire over and over and get good at keeping the sights on target and trigger manipulation. That's the same analogy of thinking. (Hoping deep down you know I am kidding and dont recommend this).

La26

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 4, 2011
    Paulina, La.
    Well, I can only say I am still active in the training of Officers at my Dept. Some choose to carry a revolver for off-duty purposes and if you really look at our POST qualification course, it is based on a revolver course where 2, 3, or 6 rounds are fired. In one phase, we shoot 12 rounds at 7 yards, 6 rounds standing then go to a kneeling position and after a MANDATORY reload fire 6 more rounds from the kneeling position. SO, if shooting an automatic, the shooter has to remove a magazine that still has rounds in it, and replace it with another magazine to fire 6 more rounds. Not tactically prudent when someone is 21 feet away shooting at you, but that's the course, so I have to call it that way. I have been a firearms instructor since 1977 (NRA Police Firearms Instructor), then went to the POST Firearms Instructor school in 1998 when I was with NOPD. I have been to the POST Instructor recert every year since. I attended numerous Tactical Schools for training while on the SWAT Team at NOPD, and also several Military Sniper Schools while in that capacity. I have an idea about training and tactics, and I don't really think the OP was asking for a training regimen to put his Wife through, he was asking for help in choosing a firearm his Wife might enjoy shooting.
    My response was to get her something using a lower velocity practice round to get her familiar with shooting like a revolver. I'm sure if he wanted to expose her to a .357 with some full power magnum loads, she will certainly be more receptive to continuing her shooting experience (or not).

Last edited:
    Top Bottom