What are some Handgun recommendations for home protection?

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • La26

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 4, 2011
    Paulina, La.
    Also, when we qualify annually, we do shoot our old duty ammo as part of the qualification course (60 rounds), so the Officers can experience the full power Winchester Ranger 127 +P+ rounds we carry. Fresh duty ammo is then issued after qualification and weapons maintenance (cleaning).

Last edited:

hotbiggun

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 25, 2023
    Louisiana
    Also, when we qualify annually, we do shoot our old duty ammo as part of the qualification course (60 rounds), so the Officers can experience the full power Winchester Ranger 127 +P+ rounds we carry. Fresh duty ammo is then issued after qualification and weapons maintenance (cleaning).

Which pistol are you guys issued these days?

AdvancedLaser

Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 15, 2021
    Covington, Louisiana
    Well, I can only say I am still active in the training of Officers at my Dept. Some choose to carry a revolver for off-duty purposes and if you really look at our POST qualification course, it is based on a revolver course where 2, 3, or 6 rounds are fired. In one phase, we shoot 12 rounds at 7 yards, 6 rounds standing then go to a kneeling position and after a MANDATORY reload fire 6 more rounds from the kneeling position. SO, if shooting an automatic, the shooter has to remove a magazine that still has rounds in it, and replace it with another magazine to fire 6 more rounds. Not tactically prudent when someone is 21 feet away shooting at you, but that's the course, so I have to call it that way. I have been a firearms instructor since 1977 (NRA Police Firearms Instructor), then went to the POST Firearms Instructor school in 1998 when I was with NOPD. I have been to the POST Instructor recert every year since. I attended numerous Tactical Schools for training while on the SWAT Team at NOPD, and also several Military Sniper Schools while in that capacity. I have an idea about training and tactics, and I don't really think the OP was asking for a training regimen to put his Wife through, he was asking for help in choosing a firearm his Wife might enjoy shooting.
    My response was to get her something using a lower velocity practice round to get her familiar with shooting like a revolver. I'm sure if he wanted to expose her to a .357 with some full power magnum loads, she will certainly be more receptive to continuing her shooting experience (or not).
    Listen man, I am not going to compare resumes on here. Anyone who has to list theirs to defend a position is telling.

First, I know the POST course WELL. Please dont misinform the readers here that its based on a revolver course of fire. Say it for what it is. Its only written the way it is for the podunk 10 man agencies who still have revolvers and Corrections Officers that are POST2 qualified.

You also dont have to reload in the middle of it. Starting with five 12rd mags is the norm. Let me be clear, if you are allowing students in the course of fire to reload in the actual string of fire, and dropping a partially depleted mag to reload with a fresh one then YOU are the problem. First, that's not time for a tac load, nor is it a tac load if the mag isnt retained. Second, If you set their mags up properly, since you have been a POST instructor since 1977, then you force them to slide lock in that stage of 6 reload 6 while dropping to a knee. Third, the training scar that sets up mentally is absurd. Letting them drop a mag containing rounds and moving on with the course is suchhhh a bad idea as a trainer.

The POST course is easy and laughable and every POST instructor knows it. When yall meet and vote on changes it always gets shot down because they have to keep it that way for the previously mentioned reason. Please don't attempt to glamorize it, or being a "POST Instructor" as if that carries weight in the tactics arena. I already had two 26's text me about this and what you wrote.

Anyone who ever suggests a revolver as a self defense weapon are in the same group as Hackathorn who daily embarrasses himself with his 1970's tales of the 1911 being handed down from God, and iron sights are all that's needed.

This is respectfully said sir.

La26

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 4, 2011
    Paulina, La.
    Listen man, I am not going to compare resumes on here. Anyone who has to list theirs to defend a position is telling.

First, I know the POST course WELL. Please dont misinform the readers here that its based on a revolver course of fire. Say it for what it is. Its only written the way it is for the podunk 10 man agencies who still have revolvers and Corrections Officers that are POST2 qualified.

You also dont have to reload in the middle of it. Starting with five 12rd mags is the norm. Let me be clear, if you are allowing students in the course of fire to reload in the actual string of fire, and dropping a partially depleted mag to reload with a fresh one then YOU are the problem. First, that's not time for a tac load, nor is it a tac load if the mag isnt retained. Second, If you set their mags up properly, since you have been a POST instructor since 1977, then you force them to slide lock in that stage of 6 reload 6 while dropping to a knee. Third, the training scar that sets up mentally is absurd. Letting them drop a mag containing rounds and moving on with the course is suchhhh a bad idea as a trainer.

The POST course is easy and laughable and every POST instructor knows it. When yall meet and vote on changes it always gets shot down because they have to keep it that way for the previously mentioned reason. Please don't attempt to glamorize it, or being a "POST Instructor" as if that carries weight in the tactics arena. I already had two 26's text me about this and what you wrote.

Anyone who ever suggests a revolver as a self defense weapon are in the same group as Hackathorn who daily embarrasses himself with his 1970's tales of the 1911 being handed down from God, and iron sights are all that's needed.

This is respectfully said sir.
    Agreed the POST course is a bare minimum for any qualifications, and the minimum 96 to pass is laughable. Considering it starts at 25 yards makes it too easy. I remember when the qual course was the NRA course of 60 rounds and fired from the 50 yard line on a B27 target. You mention loading 6 in a magazine so the slide will lock back requiring a forced combat reload, but we have the Officers load their mags to capacity, such as they carry on the street. Agreed it makes no sense to drop a mag with ammo left in it while things are "hot". I agree too that a forced combat reload is really much quicker than trying to retain a partially loaded mag.
    I only listed my experience to let you know I have been exposed to somewhat extensive training, and not to boast. Perhaps I should have done it in a Private Message as opposed to putting it here in public for everyone to see. I meant nothing sideways about it nor did I intend to diminish you, your experience, or your abilities and qualifications. I wasn't comparing myself to anyone nor competing with them.
    I still think a revolver would be ok.

Last edited:

SVT Bansheeman

No more laughing dog
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jan 24, 2011
    Lockport, LA
    I rather stay away from glocks only because just not a fan of no manual safety .
    I stayed away from manual safetys due to my lack of training. I didn't want to forget it on and/or not be able to work it and die.

I would never give my wife nor I a shotgun for home defense. Very low capacity, hard to use (pump must be cycled fully or it only has one shot which is hard under stress) very high recoil and you MUST aim (some people think you can just scatter a wall with a shotgun. I know you have to aim every gun, not just shotguns) are not ideal. Plus we can't have one incognito with a kid in the house.

Whatever you decide to get, I recommend going take a defensive firearm class for that type. That's the best money and time I've spent with firearms. After a defensive handgun class, I went back take defensive a rifle and a defensive shotgun class as well with the same instructor which is on these forums.

Last edited:

davidd

Expert in the field of wife avoidance
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    May 9, 2011
    Baton Rouge, LA
    I certainly do not have the street experience that other do, but I do have some experience in helping several females over the years with trying out their first handgun. All of them had difficulty racking the slide. Some had the strength, but all had the tendency to ride the slide home, causing out of battery conditions. All of them did not have the wrist strength to hold steady against the recoil of even 9mm to ensure positive function all of the time.

And I saved this for last, because it is most important. None of them wanted to practice repeatedly to ensure they felt comfortable enough to properly use a semi-auto pistol. (This point actually applies to men and women.)

In a situation like the last point, I advise not even having a firearm available. But for those that will practice at least every once in a while, and who lack the strength to use a pistol, a revolver is the only answer.

ETA: My sample size is 5 females. Not a lot, but not 1.

Last edited:

AdvancedLaser

Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 15, 2021
    Covington, Louisiana
    I certainly do not have the street experience that other do, but I do have some experience in helping several females over the years with trying out their first handgun. All of them had difficulty racking the slide. Some had the strength, but all had the tendency to ride the slide home, causing out of battery conditions. All of them did not have the wrist strength to hold steady against the recoil of even 9mm to ensure positive function all of the time.

And I saved this for last, because it is most important. None of them wanted to practice repeatedly to ensure they felt comfortable enough to properly use a semi-auto pistol. (This point actually applies to men and women.)

In a situation like the last point, I advise not even having a firearm available. But for those that will practice at least every once in a while, and who lack the strength to use a pistol, a revolver is the only answer.
    To partially reply to your point...
    In the future with females and small frame/weak males consider not teaching them to pull the slide to the rear but push the pistol away from them.
    Power is generated close to the torso not as it expands far away. Have them bring the pistol into their work area and grab the slide overhand, for the most grip surface, and holding the gripping hand closer to their center torso quickly push the pistol away with their strong hand holding the frame. This serves two purposes, it generates more opportunity to properly charge the weapon as the power and velocity is generally stronger than tying to slowly pull a slide to the rear and second it minimizes the "riding the slide" as its being pushed away and they usually lose the grip as the slide reaches its rearmost movement and they release it hard to chamber a round.
    As an Instructor watch for the trigger finger to move when they perform this. We tend to try to force a grip when we grab and push things, so some shooter will try and close the extended trigger finger instinctively. Just monitor it for movement, not all do it, and most stop when its pointed out.

Hope this helps.

davidd

Expert in the field of wife avoidance
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    May 9, 2011
    Baton Rouge, LA
    To partially reply to your point...
    In the future with females and small frame/weak males consider not teaching them to pull the slide to the rear but push the pistol away from them.
    Power is generated close to the torso not as it expands far away. Have them bring the pistol into their work area and grab the slide overhand, for the most grip surface, and holding the gripping hand closer to their center torso quickly push the pistol away with their strong hand holding the frame. This serves two purposes, it generates more opportunity to properly charge the weapon as the power and velocity is generally stronger than tying to slowly pull a slide to the rear and second it minimizes the "riding the slide" as its being pushed away and they usually lose the grip as the slide reaches its rearmost movement and they release it hard to chamber a round.
    As an Instructor watch for the trigger finger to move when they perform this. We tend to try to force a grip when we grab and push things, so some shooter will try and close the extended trigger finger instinctively. Just monitor it for movement, not all do it, and most stop when its pointed out.

Hope this helps.
    I do not dispute anything you just said and have suggested/instructed something similar in the past. The problem is, as always, practice. None of these individuals wanted to practice functions with a pistol. All of them could have been proficient, but none had the desire to be. So I revert to (1) don't have a firearm, or (2) at least practice sometimes with a revolver.

My point is that I think is it not bad advice to sometimes say to someone that you think a revolver is your best solution.

PO3JDA

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 27, 2020
    Breaux Bridge
    I went through police academy with a HK USP40 compact. The manual external safety was a big issue for me. I would constantly check to make sure my gun was on fire all the time. Switched to a glock and was more mentally comfortable with it. The issue of a safety doesn't factor much if you familiarize yourself with the gun and practice with it... alot. You'd be surprised how hard a handgun can be to shoot consistently accurate.

hkump

Deceased - RIP
    Rating - 100%
    318   0   0
    Jan 6, 2013
    Covington, LA
    I would recommend 9mm PCCs with braces and red dots for home defense. I've taught my kids how to shoot my MPX, AP5-P, Scorpion, and GHM9s and they can all shoot a 1" hole within 25 yards. If my kids can do it, you and your spouse can do it. Super accurate, light, and easy to control the recoil. Plus, with 30 round mags you've got all the firepower you need.

atombomb

Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 5, 2015
    Ponchatoula/Bedico
    so the easiest and most reliable method is a 38 s&w revolver (hammerless models tend to have lighter trigger pulls making them easier to shoot)… no racking slides, no jams, they just work… so I always prefer a revolver when recommending something to a new shooter.. if you have kids, you must put a lock on it, or it should be locked away in a safe. You can get reduced power loads or +P loads depending on your recoil handling ability. Other good choices are 20ga shotguns with reduced power buckshot loads, or 9mm AR based platforms if you learn how to use them, and have the room to store them safely, but still be able to use them when needed.

winebottle39

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 6, 2024
    Denham springs
    Hello, Recently got into firearms as I’m starting to understand it’s something I should definitely have to protect myself & family especially living in the Baton Rouge area.

Im looking for any recommendations specifically handguns - for around the house me and my girl started going to the range so Im looking for something good we both can use effectively in case of emergency.
    To start, i always believed the gun had to be a very comfortable fit...go to gun shows and handle every gun you can...when its right...you'll know it. Secondly, figure out which is more comfortable to shoot deciding between a semi auto and a revolver. Caliber next...dont focus on number of rounds so you dont fall into the spray and pray trap. If you know your everyday gun holds six rounds youll strive to be the most efficient you can be with those rounds. .38spl are a good compromise, but purchase a .357 so your firearm also possess versatility if thats the route you take. These are just my opinions, others will have theirs...find the information that fits your situation. A really nice revolver i would be the Taurus 692. It has 2 cylinders, one for 38spl and 357's, and a second cylinder can be interchanged to fire 9mm which is a great combo.

Rman

Free on weekends
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 27, 2012
    City of Central
    Buy yourself a Glock 19 and thank me later.
    I carried a Glock 23 for years, as LE, (now retired). Best combination of size, power and capacity, right? However, getting older, I've found that my shot to shot split times are noticeably better with the Glock 19. Given the advancements in bullet technology today, there's not a lot of difference between the .9mm and .40, so I now use the 9mm for carry. Hey, a split second between shots can make the difference in living and dying, right? That said, I keep my G23 by my bed and the G19 for daily carry. I occasionally carry my G43. Lower capacity, but lighter and more easily concealed.

Point is, shoot a few and buy what (a) best fits your hand and (b) what you shoot best. A defensive pistol course would also be a great idea. Get as much practice as you can. But remember, practice does not make perfect. Practice makes permanent. Only perfect practice makes perfect.

Good luck with your quest and you might want to consider what Jstudz220 is recommending :)

BobbyWT

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 2, 2013
    Watson, LA
    Hello, Recently got into firearms as I’m starting to understand it’s something I should definitely have to protect myself & family especially living in the Baton Rouge area.

Im looking for any recommendations specifically handguns - for around the house me and my girl started going to the range so Im looking for something good we both can use effectively in case of emergency.
    I would choose a Taurus “Judge”. Load with #4or6 shot. This way the walls will slow down the pellets so you don’t kill your wife and kids in the next room. Bad thing is you only have 5 shots so aiming is necessary.

Toddkay

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 19, 2023
    New Orleans
    There are a lot of right answers. For the money i like SW M&P 2.0 9mm.
    Great choice. M&P is my favorite handgun platform. For me for home protection it would be the M&P 2.0 in 45 acp. My preferred caliber for home defense and concealed carry. For concealed carry the M&P 2.0 Compact or M&P Shield in 45.

Garrett316

Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 19, 2018
    Springfield, LA
    Buy yourself a Glock 19 and thank me later.
    I second this. Then put it in a GOOD kydex holster. Manual safeties will be forgot about in stressful situations if you don’t get proficient with them which can get you killed.

Also if you want to be a nerd about it, the firing pin in Glock are not pre-cocked like the others mentioned. Which to me is another layer of safety.

Disclosure….i have glocks but i carry a p365

Top Bottom