What are some Handgun recommendations for home protection?

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • kvh

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 27, 2024
    Louisiana
    Yea I should’ve been more specific,

I rather stay away from glocks only because just not a fan of no manual safety .

Yes I plan to conceal carry every once and a while though this will be mainly for the house.

Handguns I’ve considered - tarus Gx4, sig p365, and the M&P 9 shield plus which I’m really steering towards.

Price range is the least of worry’s , mainly something on the lighter compact size

Any suggestions or insight would help
    For home use I’d be less concerned with compactness and more with capacity. For concealed carry both are a factor. And nothing wrong with having more than one if your and your girl’s abilities and preferences are different.

A rifle is honestly a better home defense weapon than a pistol. The pistol is what you use to fight yourself to your rifle in some knowledgeable people’s minds. Depending on where you live, over penetration can be a concern so, as someone else suggested, a pistol caliber carbine might be most appropriate for an apartment dweller vs someone living on 10 acres with no close neighbors.

I’m a Sig fan myself, so from your list I’d choose the 365. The Smith is also a very nice weapon. I don’t own any Taurus pistols so I can’t offer an informed opinion (though I have several of their revolvers and I like them).

If your girl is on the smaller side and recoil is a concern, one of the 22 magnum pistols with a high capacity magazine could be an option. I have one of the 30 round Kel-Tecs and I think S&W now makes something similar. 30 rounds of 22 magnum can be pretty effective against even a determined intruder. Plus they’re a bunch of fun to shoot.

Good luck and have fun with your new hobby.

Geauxfish

Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Mar 18, 2013
    Baton Rouge
    I’ll throw out my first choices and then where I’m at now. I first went with a G19 and a KelTec Su2000 with the same mag well. I was able to use the same magazines in both and figures the carbine was a good option at home. For me, I think this is still a good option.

Another option to consider is a combination of a handgun like a Shield EZ 9mm to carry and a 20’ga youth for the home.

I agree there are a lot of options and only you can decide what is “best” for your situation. Give it a try and if you don’t like it, sell it in the classifies section and buy another.

cmb9

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 31, 2024
    Prairieville
    I agree with a lot of the recommendations here already. Again, the best pistol for home defense would be the one that's the most comfortable and controllable for you and most importantly, the one you train with constantly and become familiar with such as clearing jams or other nuances specific to that gun. Make it out to a range and try out different styles and calibers and see what you like but I would suggest 9mm as it is easy to source and relatively inexpensive. Cheers.

jdindadell

Not Banned!!!
    Rating - 100%
    269   0   1
    Feb 14, 2010
    Slidell
    Home defense gun?

I would say a metal frame gun, with a reasonable grip size. Cz75, maybe a sig 226 or 228, the beretta 92 is a bit big for a medium size hand. I would get something with a rail so a weapon mounted light could be used. Most metal framed handguns have manual safeties, so they check that box.

As far as carry goes, with the right setup anything can be carried. However heavy handguns are not as easy to carry as light guns. Same with size, bulky is not as good as slim.

My suggestion for carry is a glock 43x. Full grip, slim and light. No safety but if you plan to carry you need to be confident in your skills, and a safety is just a bandaid.

bigtattoo79

Rating - 100%
    95   0   0
    Sep 12, 2009
    LA
    Pick a gun you/y’all will be comfortable with, want a manual safety get one, want a revolver get one and try to think about when, where and how you will carry. Folks fighting wars overseas have a different mind set than LEOs in the state and LEOs have a different mindset than civilians that’s gonna CC. Renting guns to try before you buy isn’t necessary but it’s definitely cheaper in the long run. If you have the opportunity to take a training class it’s an awesome experience but again try to pick a class covering how you plan to carry. And having a holster that covers the trigger guard is a great idea and most of all keep that finger off the trigger until you are ready to make noise. Good luck on finding a gun that you will be comfortable with and enjoy the experience.

Gumby Hunter

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 23, 2024
    Jackson Ms metro
    Yea I should’ve been more specific,

I rather stay away from glocks only because just not a fan of no manual safety .

Yes I plan to conceal carry every once and a while though this will be mainly for the house.

Handguns I’ve considered - tarus Gx4, sig p365, and the M&P 9 shield plus which I’m really steering towards.

Price range is the least of worry’s , mainly something on the lighter compact size

Any suggestions or insight would help
    I have a shield plus with safety and really like it . Had the best out of the box trigger I’ve tried. There are several mag choices also from 10-13 or 15 rd.
    You still want to rent and test fire several. Your Lady might have trouble with the slides on some, let her try a s&w e-z.
    Might want to look at a revolver too.

SWT23

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 6, 2024
    New Orleans
    Consider a revolver. The .38 special has worked for many years. You can shoot light, reduced recoil loads for fun and keep it loaded with more powerful self defense ammo. You don't have to worry about operating a slide, which some females find rather difficult.
    What’s wrong with the slide?

SWT23

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 6, 2024
    New Orleans
    Some people find it difficult to operate the slide to load the pistol (or unload) if they don't have the proper technique.
    Oh I see. I’ve only ever had glocks and S&Ws. With my small hands I guess those must be super easy slides, and if that’s the case, I’m grateful!

La26

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 4, 2011
    Paulina, La.
    Oh I see. I’ve only ever had glocks and S&Ws. With my small hands I guess those must be super easy slides, and if that’s the case, I’m grateful!
    Smith & Wesson makes a line of pistols that are easier to manipulate the slide. I have never handled one, but I am thinking they probably use recoil springs that are not as heavy to make it easier to pull the slide back. They are called the Shield EZ I believe.

SWT23

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 6, 2024
    New Orleans
    Smith & Wesson makes a line of pistols that are easier to manipulate the slide. I have never handled one, but I am thinking they probably use recoil springs that are not as heavy to make it easier to pull the slide back. They are called the Shield EZ I believe.
    Yeah the slide was easy. I sold mine as I didn’t care for the grip. It felt like holding sandpaper. Very scratchy.

Ghost Gun Machine

Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 9, 2024
    Denham Springs
    Hello, Recently got into firearms as I’m starting to understand it’s something I should definitely have to protect myself & family especially living in the Baton Rouge area.

Im looking for any recommendations specifically handguns - for around the house me and my girl started going to the range so Im looking for something good we both can use effectively in case of emergency.
    Be sure to check into the CZ P-07 & P-09. Both can be found in places like classic firearms on sale for $4-500. The P-07 is arguably one of the most reliable double action pistols ever produced.

Top Bottom