What are your religious beliefs?

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • What are you?

• Roman Catholic

Votes: 46 41.1%
    • Eastern Orthodoxy

Votes: 1 0.9%
    • Baptist

Votes: 25 22.3%
    • Reformed Baptist

Votes: 0 0.0%
    • Presbyterian

Votes: 2 1.8%
    • Pentecostal/AoG

Votes: 9 8.0%
    • Non-Denom

Votes: 22 19.6%
    • Methodist

Votes: 3 2.7%
    • SDA

Votes: 1 0.9%
    • Lutheran

Votes: 3 2.7%

• Total voters
    • Poll closed .

thatwhichisnt

Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Aug 26, 2009
    Baton Rouge
    Well, when you can provide substance, count me on board! I don't have a problem with a God I can see, touch, or hear. I have a problem with a God I never met that wants 10% of my income.

You can see, touch, or hear God. Look at creation, He is constantly on display their. It shows His majesty, and yes also sometimes His wrath. The knowledge that God exists is found clearly in nature and the universe, however only saving knowledge can be found in Scripture. Do yourself a favor, read the Bible a little bit. Do not take my words as anything. Read the Gospel of John, that's a great place to start. Try to do a chapter or two a day.

Also, when it comes to 10 percent, we are not bound to that anymore. The law of the Old Testament (besides the moral commandments) are abolished. That includes the tithes. Their is no mandated 10 percent giving. However, true Christians are naturally generous because money isn't a top priority anymore.

JWG223

Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Aug 16, 2011
    Shreveport
    You can see, touch, or hear God. Look at creation, He is constantly on display their. It shows His majesty, and yes also sometimes His wrath. The knowledge that God exists is found clearly in nature and the universe, however only saving knowledge can be found in Scripture. Do yourself a favor, read the Bible a little bit. Do not take my words as anything. Read the Gospel of John, that's a great place to start. Try to do a chapter or two a day.
    I have read most of the Bible over the 2 decades I was part of the church, and spent half of that time in private christian schools, several of which had very good theology classes. I have pages and pages of notes on the Gospels (or had, that was a while back...). The universe is not good enough for me, considering that you can't show me where God created it. You just don't know how it came to be yet. It's like the ancient Egyptians worshiping the sun as a god because they didn't understand it. We understand it for what it is now, and no-longer worship it. In due time, we may understand the rest of those "gods" out there for what they really are. Just because you don't know yet, doesn't mean it has to be some god behind it. I can enjoy the flowers in the garden just fine without also looking for pixies.

Also, when it comes to 10 percent, we are not bound to that anymore. The law of the Old Testament (besides the moral commandments) are abolished. That includes the tithes. Their is no mandated 10 percent giving. However, true Christians are naturally generous because money isn't a top priority anymore. So, depending on your denomination, you get to pick and choose what parts of the Bible you want to believe in apply to you? Convenient. I grew up a Christian that worshiped on Saturday, and if you ask any Bishop, he will gladly tell you that Saturday is the Biblical "Sabbath" and that the Church changed it during the rule of Constantine.

Religion raises more questions than it answers--and that's just Christianity! Show me God, don't show me plants and tell me "God did it." I will show you my bowl of Pasta and ask you to prove to me how it isn't responsible instead.

According to Christians:

God loves all of us a LOT!
    God wants us to love him!
    God is all-powerful!

If God would like to send an angel to tap me politely on the shoulder and say "Hey, I'm here because you are having some trouble believing, He's real, and He loves you, and please read your Bible to hear it again from Him." I would immediately change my mindset, join a church, and tell others at EVERY chance I got about God. He would have an instant zealot, and have "saved" another of his "lost children".

But since he doesn't do that, I can assume several things:
    A)I'm not important to him.
    B)He's not all powerful
    C) He doesn't exist.

I'm not sure which of the 3 it is, but any of the 3 is a deal breaker for me worshiping him.

Last edited:

thatwhichisnt

Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Aug 26, 2009
    Baton Rouge
    Religion raises more questions than it answers--and that's just Christianity! Show me God, don't show me plants and tell me "God did it." I will show you my bowl of Pasta and ask you to prove to me how it isn't responsible instead.
    You are a finite person trying to comprehend the actions of an eternal God. Of course you can not even begin to comprehend what He does.

Biblically God reveals Himself in two ways: Natural and Special Revelations.

Natural revelations is the world we see around us. It all points to Him and shows his Divine nature.
    Special revelation is mainly the Word of God. It can also be the burning bush, Jesus showing Himself on Damascus road, etc. However, I believe those encounters now, if they happen at all, are very few and scarce.

The Westminster Confession of Faith puts it nicely:
    I. Although the light of nature, and the works of creation and providence do so far manifest the goodness, wisdom, and power of God, as to leave men unexcusable;[1] yet are they not sufficient to give that knowledge of God, and of His will, which is necessary unto salvation.[2] Therefore it pleased the Lord, at sundry times, and in divers manners, to reveal Himself, and to declare that His will unto His Church;[3] and afterwards for the better preserving and propagating of the truth, and for the more sure establishment and comfort of the Church against the corruption of the flesh, and the malice of Satan and of the world, to commit the same wholly unto writing;[4] which makes the Holy Scripture to be most necessary;[5] those former ways of God's revealing His will unto His people being now ceased

JWG223

Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Aug 16, 2011
    Shreveport
    You are a finite person trying to comprehend the actions of an eternal God. Of course you can not even begin to comprehend what He does.

Biblically God reveals Himself in two ways: Natural and Special Revelations.
    "God is real, the Bible says so. Who wrote the Bible? God." I hate logical fallacies.

Natural revelations is the world we see around us. It all points to Him and shows his Divine nature.
    Special revelation is mainly the Word of God. It can also be the burning bush, Jesus showing Himself on Damascus road, etc. However, I believe those encounters now, if they happen at all, are very few and scarce. Very convenient, considering that God claimed "I am the same yeserday, today, and tomorrow" Well, I guess not so much?

The Westminster Confession of Faith puts it nicely:
    I. Although the light of nature, and the works of creation and providence do so far manifest the goodness, wisdom, and power of God, as to leave men unexcusable;[1] yet are they not sufficient to give that knowledge of God, and of His will, which is necessary unto salvation.[2] Therefore it pleased the Lord, at sundry times, and in divers manners, to reveal Himself, and to declare that His will unto His Church;[3] and afterwards for the better preserving and propagating of the truth, and for the more sure establishment and comfort of the Church against the corruption of the flesh, and the malice of Satan and of the world, to commit the same wholly unto writing;[4] which makes the Holy Scripture to be most necessary;[5] those former ways of God's revealing His will unto His people being now ceased

So when someone says: "God, show yourself to me!" We have conveniently decided that "God doesn't do that anymore". Meh.

thatwhichisnt

Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Aug 26, 2009
    Baton Rouge
    So when someone says: "God, show yourself to me!" We have conveniently decided that "God doesn't do that anymore". Meh.

God is the same, however that doesn't mean He always deals with people the exact same way. When you have a kid you are always their parents, but you don't change their diapers when they are 15.

God most certainly reveals Himself to people it just rarely is a "burning bush" experience.

JWG223

Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Aug 16, 2011
    Shreveport
    God is the same, however that doesn't mean He always deals with people the exact same way. When you have a kid you are always their parents, but you don't change their diapers when they are 15.

God most certainly reveals Himself to people it just rarely is a "burning bush" experience.

I guess I don't rate his time for that show. Did all my praying as a kid. God was the last of my imaginary friends to be stowed.

jmanrogers

SGT JMAN
    Rating - 100%
    78   0   0
    Jan 3, 2011
    Alexandria

According to Christians:

God loves all of us a LOT!
    God wants us to love him!
    God is all-powerful!

If God would like to send an angel to tap me politely on the shoulder and say "Hey, I'm here because you are having some trouble believing, He's real, and He loves you, and please read your Bible to hear it again from Him." I would immediately change my mindset, join a church, and tell others at EVERY chance I got about God. He would have an instant zealot, and have "saved" another of his "lost children".

But since he doesn't do that, I can assume several things:
    A)I'm not important to him.
    B)He's not all powerful
    C) He doesn't exist.

I'm not sure which of the 3 it is, but any of the 3 is a deal breaker for me worshiping him.

No you wouldn't. And I say that because you have to have PROOF of God's existence to be adequate for you? Sounds to me like you've already made up your mind. I can give you the most iron-clad case for the existence of God, yet you would probably demand more and this is because the acceptance of God means having to alter your personal life.

The apostle Paul wrote, "For the wrath of God is revealed from heaven against all ungodliness and unrighteousness of men, who suppress the truth in unrighteousness, because what may be known of God is manifest in them, for God has shown it to them. For since the creation of the world His invisible attributes are clearly seen, being understood by the things that are made, even His eternal power and Godhead, so that they are without excuse" (Romans 1:18-20)KJV.

Now the NIV version for a clearer understanding; "The wrath of God is being revealed from heaven against all the godlessness and wickedness of people, who suppress the truth by their wickedness, since what may be known about God is plain to them, because God has made it plain to them. For since the creation of the world God’s invisible qualities—his eternal power and divine nature—have been clearly seen, being understood from what has been made, so that people are without excuse" (Romans 1:18-20)NIV.

Paul states there is evidence within the world around us of not only the existence of God but also evidence of His character -- evidence that can be understood by examining what God has made.

Maybe you just need to make the first step towards Him and He will prove Himself. Besides, you were created for the sole purpose to commune and worship Him. But we messed that up in the Garden of Eden.

Last edited:

JWG223

Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Aug 16, 2011
    Shreveport
    No you wouldn't. And I say that because you have to have PROOF of God's existence to be adequate for you? Sounds to me like you've already made up your mind. I can give you the most iron-clad case for the existence of God, yet you would probably demand more and this is because the acceptance of God means having to alter your personal life.

The apostle Paul wrote, "For the wrath of God is revealed from heaven against all ungodliness and unrighteousness of men, who suppress the truth in unrighteousness, because what may be known of God is manifest in them, for God has shown it to them. For since the creation of the world His invisible attributes are clearly seen, being understood by the things that are made, even His eternal power and Godhead, so that they are without excuse" (Romans 1:18-20)KJV.

Now the NIV version for a clearer understanding; "The wrath of God is being revealed from heaven against all the godlessness and wickedness of people, who suppress the truth by their wickedness, since what may be known about God is plain to them, because God has made it plain to them. For since the creation of the world God’s invisible qualities—his eternal power and divine nature—have been clearly seen, being understood from what has been made, so that people are without excuse" (Romans 1:18-20)NIV.

Paul states there is evidence within the world around us of not only the existence of God but also evidence of His character -- evidence that can be understood by examining what God has made.

Maybe you just need to make the first step towards Him and He will prove Himself. Besides, you were created for the sole purpose to commune and worship Him. But we messed that up in the Garden of Eden.

I suppose one of my hang-ups is that God wrote the Bible, and the Bible is all anyone ever has to bandy about to prove that God is real. Yet I read the Bible, and I am not impressed with the nature of God. The Bible depicts him as a petulant child in a pissing contest with Satan with us as the cannon-fodder. Let me explain...

Assuming the Bible is factual 100%...

-God knew all, and yet chose to create Satan (Lucifer).
    -God allowed Lucifer to live, but banished him and the angels that followed him, to prove to the universe that he allowed free will, and that he was just and right.
    -The entire premise of the Bible revolves around "sinners" admitting that "God is right".
    -God allows us to suffer and be put through trial and tribulation, down through the ages of history, to prove that free will exists and he does not rule by "forcing" his subjects to conform, yet he knows best and we would all be happier conforming.
    -At one point in the Bible, God even gets into a little tiff with Satan and they debate over the loyalty of one of his faithful--Job--. God allows Satan to destroy Job's life, kill his entire family, and compromise his health. Job never curses God, God wins the spat, Job is given a better family, Job is totally cool with his previous family being slaughtered like dogs in the street because he has a new one now (A bit fantastical? You bet!).
    -God states that when the end of the world comes, the wicked when judged will know that he is right.

Basically, our entire existence and suffering is to prove how big god's piece is to the universe, if you actually believe the Bible is true and take what is written in it as a whole. It's like a child with an ant-farm saying arguing with one of his buddies that sugar-water is better for them than antifreeze.

Which is why I don't believe that the Bible is true. A being such as the one God is portrayed as would have destroyed themselves long since if they were so human and so childish in their thoughts and actions.

RisingRebel

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Apr 8, 2011
    Lafayette Louisiana
    LOL this is great. Your saying people of religion don't do the same thing? Mission trips, the wackos that shout "Yur gonna burn in hayll" at college students, and Mormons knocking on peoples door. Or is it only wrong when its something you don't like?

Yeah - we evangelize God, which is something. Atheists evangelize nothing - and that is really just a bit weird!

JWG223

Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Aug 16, 2011
    Shreveport
    threads like these make me embarrassed to be a part of this forum

Well, I'm glad to see that your shame has not prevented you from posting in this one :)

Yeah - we evangelize God, which is something. Atheists evangelize nothing - and that is really just a bit weird!

Well, if you want to talk about weird, you can always look at it this way...
    jshsf6.jpg

Last edited:

RisingRebel

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Apr 8, 2011
    Lafayette Louisiana
    I want to know why Christians are so bent on trying to convince us that there is a "God" and somehow have come to think that their God, being one of the newest of the deities, is "The Answer".
    Carry on.

IT comes from caring about others. Since we feel you are going to suffer, we want to save you from it.

So - now it's your turn. Why do y'all insist on trying convince us that we are wrong?

thatwhichisnt

Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Aug 26, 2009
    Baton Rouge
    May I say that what you said is not a very accurate depiction of mankind. View it this way:
    God decided to make the universe. He created it as a gift to humans so that we can bring Him glory. However He knew what would happen before the foundation of the World.
    He knew we would fall in the Garden, which is why the father and son made the covenant of redemption before time began.
    Because of the fall all man kind deserves nothing but hell since the moment we are conceived. He has every right to punish us forever because He is everlasting and holy.
    However, out of His love He plans to redeem a people of His own to show His amazing compassion. This people started with Israel, then branched off to all nations, tribes, and tongues.

The story of the universe isnt "good verses evil" or "God trying to win man over". It's already decided. The war is won. All we can do in the mean time is obey and give Him glory as we all were made to do. He is sovereign, that is the Bible in 3 words.

JWG223

Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Aug 16, 2011
    Shreveport
    IT comes from caring about others. Since we feel you are going to suffer, we want to save you from it.

So - now it's your turn. Why do y'all insist on trying convince us that we are wrong?

For the same reason that older children tell younger children that Santa doesn't exist. There is a burning desire in the human mind to spread what it views as the truth.

JWG223

Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Aug 16, 2011
    Shreveport
    May I say that what you said is not a very accurate depiction of mankind. View it this way:
    God decided to make the universe. He created it as a gift to humans so that we can bring Him glory. Totally not selfish at all... However He knew what would happen before the foundation of the World.
    He knew we would fall in the Garden, which is why the father and son made the covenant of redemption before time began.
    Because of the fall all man kind deserves nothing but hell since the moment we are conceived. He has every right to punish us forever because He is everlasting and holy. Well it's not our fault he dicked up with his other creation (Lucifer). He fails at being holy.
    However, out of His love He plans to redeem a people of His own to show His amazing compassion. Oh let me save them! I'll flex some muscle, yeah! This people started with Israel, then branched off to all nations, tribes, and tongues.

The story of the universe isnt "good verses evil" or "God trying to win man over". It's already decided. The war is won. Exactly, it's god wanting to flex and show out like some 18 year old musclehead, both according to what I said, and what you said. These are totally human and immature concepts and it further goes to prove that man wrote the Bible and not some all-powerful being. All we can do in the mean time is obey and give Him glory as we all were made to do. He is sovereign, that is the Bible in 3 words.

What you say just further emphasizes that the Bible couldn't possibly have been conceived by anyone but a human being. We have to be the only animals in existence egotistical enough to create a character such as this god. Notice how we claim to be created in his image, blah blah blah? How egotistical is that? The Bible just seems more and more like both a political tool, and a sham, when you delve into it more and more.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    bharden68
    Top Bottom