What are your religious beliefs?

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • What are you?

• Roman Catholic

Votes: 46 41.1%
    • Eastern Orthodoxy

Votes: 1 0.9%
    • Baptist

Votes: 25 22.3%
    • Reformed Baptist

Votes: 0 0.0%
    • Presbyterian

Votes: 2 1.8%
    • Pentecostal/AoG

Votes: 9 8.0%
    • Non-Denom

Votes: 22 19.6%
    • Methodist

Votes: 3 2.7%
    • SDA

Votes: 1 0.9%
    • Lutheran

Votes: 3 2.7%

• Total voters
    • Poll closed .

JWG223

Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Aug 16, 2011
    Shreveport
    Take a quick look at this youtube. Tell me what you think

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8wXVUh-9OyM

let me halt about 5 seconds in. Evolution is not "proven" like that video just asserted. I don't care where I came from to be dead honest with you, because it doesn't much influence where I'm going. I'm going to live, and I'm going to die, and how I came to be doesn't matter a bit. I don't have some "need" to explain everything about the universe. I can accept that there are things I do not understand, so I don't need some magical being to ascribe them to, nor do I need a scientific theory. We are a young race, and it is only logical to assume that we don't have the answers all in line yet. We are always discovering something new.

RisingRebel

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Apr 8, 2011
    Lafayette Louisiana
    What you say just further emphasizes that the Bible couldn't possibly have been conceived by anyone but a human being. We have to be the only animals in existence egotistical enough to create a character such as this god. Notice how we claim to be created in his image, blah blah blah? How egotistical is that? The Bible just seems more and more like both a political tool, and a sham, when you delve into it more and more.

In his image means perfected. Not looking like him. Mormons think that, not Christians. Christians are taught that we cannot conceive what God even is.

RisingRebel

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Apr 8, 2011
    Lafayette Louisiana
    let me halt about 5 seconds in. Evolution is not "proven" like that video just asserted. I don't care where I came from to be dead honest with you, because it doesn't much influence where I'm going. I'm going to live, and I'm going to die, and how I came to be doesn't matter a bit. I don't have some "need" to explain everything about the universe. I can accept that there are things I do not understand, so I don't need some magical being to ascribe them to, nor do I need a scientific theory. We are a young race, and it is only logical to assume that we don't have the answers all in line yet. We are always discovering something new.

Uhmmm.... Dude, Watch 8 seconds in first. I KNOW evolution is not science and is totally faked. Watch the bleepin video!

JWG223

Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Aug 16, 2011
    Shreveport
    Uhmmm.... Dude, Watch 8 seconds in first. I KNOW evolution is not science and is totally faked. Watch the bleepin video!

Finished the video. The ancient alien theory is just as valid as the Bible according to that video. Just because evolution isn't the answer, doesn't make the Bible automatically correct.

jmanrogers

SGT JMAN
    Rating - 100%
    78   0   0
    Jan 3, 2011
    Alexandria
    I suppose one of my hang-ups is that God wrote the Bible, and the Bible is all anyone ever has to bandy about to prove that God is real. Yet I read the Bible, and I am not impressed with the nature of God. The Bible depicts him as a petulant child in a pissing contest with Satan with us as the cannon-fodder. Let me explain...

Assuming the Bible is factual 100%...

-God knew all, and yet chose to create Satan (Lucifer).
    -God allowed Lucifer to live, but banished him and the angels that followed him, to prove to the universe that he allowed free will, and that he was just and right.
    -The entire premise of the Bible revolves around "sinners" admitting that "God is right".
    -God allows us to suffer and be put through trial and tribulation, down through the ages of history, to prove that free will exists and he does not rule by "forcing" his subjects to conform, yet he knows best and we would all be happier conforming.
    -At one point in the Bible, God even gets into a little tiff with Satan and they debate over the loyalty of one of his faithful--Job--. God allows Satan to destroy Job's life, kill his entire family, and compromise his health. Job never curses God, God wins the spat, Job is given a better family, Job is totally cool with his previous family being slaughtered like dogs in the street because he has a new one now (A bit fantastical? You bet!).
    -God states that when the end of the world comes, the wicked when judged will know that he is right.

Basically, our entire existence and suffering is to prove how big god's piece is to the universe, if you actually believe the Bible is true and take what is written in it as a whole. It's like a child with an ant-farm saying arguing with one of his buddies that sugar-water is better for them than antifreeze.

Which is why I don't believe that the Bible is true. A being such as the one God is portrayed as would have destroyed themselves long since if they were so human and so childish in their thoughts and actions.

I agree with you in the fact that I don't understand the nature of God myself sometimes. ex. One man sins, yet his entire family and flock are killed when God caused the earth to open up and swallow them. They didn't sin against God. I also don't understand how someone with cancer isn't healed when you pray and ask God to heal them and yet some people are healed. But the difference between you and me is that "YOU ASSUME", the Bible is 100% factual and I "BELIEVE" the Bible is 100% Factual. Isaiah 55:8-9 says: “For my thoughts are not your thoughts, neither are your ways my ways, declares the LORD. For as the heavens are higher than the earth, so are my ways higher than your ways and my thoughts than your thoughts.”

" Matt 16:4 "A wicked and adulterous generation seeks after a sign…" How convenient to pick and choose what parts you do and don't want to believe. Either you believe all of God's word or none of it.

The remarkable structure of the Bible should also be stressed. Although it is a collection of 66 books, written by 40 or more different men over a period of 2,000 years, it is clearly one Book, with perfect unity and consistency throughout.

The individual writers, at the time of writing, had no idea that their message was eventually to be incorporated into such a Book, but each nevertheless fits perfectly into place and serves its own unique purpose as a component of the whole. Anyone who diligently studies the Bible will continually find remarkable structural and mathematical patterns woven throughout its fabric, with an intricacy and symmetry incapable of explanation by chance or collusion.

The one consistent theme of the Bible, developing in grandeur from Genesis to Revelation, is God's great work in the creation and redemption of all things, through His only Son, the Lord Jesus Christ.

Last edited:

goodburbon

Whalmitfahrer
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Oct 9, 2008
    Around
    In his image means perfected. Not looking like him. Mormons think that, not Christians. Christians are taught that we cannot conceive what God even is.

Your imperfect interpretations of perfect words, just as the mormon's view. Of course, you're the one who's right, they're just idiots.

RisingRebel

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Apr 8, 2011
    Lafayette Louisiana
    Your imperfect interpretations of perfect words, just as the mormon's view. Of course, you're the one who's right, they're just idiots.

Not my interpretation - Christianity's interpretation. So you're a scholar are you?

Argue all day long about something you know nothing about and all you're going to do is make people angry and disrespect your inability to think clearly.

JWG223

Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Aug 16, 2011
    Shreveport
    I agree with you in the fact that I don't understand the nature of God myself sometimes. ex. One man sins, yet his entire family and flock are killed when God caused the earth to open up and swallow them. They didn't sin against God. I also don't understand how someone with cancer isn't healed when you pray and ask God to heal them and yet some people are healed. But the difference between you and me is that "YOU ASSUME", the Bible is 100% factual and I "BELIEVE" the Bible is 100% Factual. Isaiah 55:8-9 says: “For my thoughts are not your thoughts, neither are your ways my ways, declares the LORD. For as the heavens are higher than the earth, so are my ways higher than your ways and my thoughts than your thoughts.”

I don't find God's exploits in the Bible to be that grandiose. Very petulant in many places.

" Matt 16:4 "A wicked and adulterous generation seeks after a sign…" How convenient to pick and choose what parts you do and don't want to believe. Either you believe all of God's word or none of it. Well if God can give Pharaoh signs...? Wait...go back and read about that. God "went unto pharoah and hardened his heart against him"...hrmmm...God WANTED Pharaoh to deny his people's release...why? So he could kick the tires and light the fires and show what a badass he could be. Got any other explanations? Sickening and disgusting. Child with an ant-farm.

The remarkable structure of the Bible should also be stressed. Although it is a collection of 66 books, written by 40 or more different men over a period of 2,000 years, it is clearly one Book, with perfect unity and consistency throughout. Oddly though, it borrows from earlier works, such as Sargon of Akkad, etc. Explain?

The individual writers, at the time of writing, had no idea that their message was eventually to be incorporated into such a Book, but each nevertheless fits perfectly into place and serves its own unique purpose as a component of the whole. Anyone who diligently studies the Bible will continually find remarkable structural and mathematical patterns woven throughout its fabric, with an intricacy and symmetry incapable of explanation by chance or collusion. Same for the Mayan calendar. We still don't know how the Pyramids were made, either...or stone henge (How DID they get those rocks where they are?!). Just because we don't know, doesn't mean it's magic.

The one consistent theme of the Bible, developing in grandeur from Genesis to Revelation, is God's great work in the creation and redemption of all things, through His only Son, the Lord Jesus Christ.

I really just don't see any divine characteristics portrayed in God throughout the Bible, which doesn't appear to be an all-original work when you research it further.

my-rifle

I make my own guns.
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Dec 12, 2007
    Jefferson Parish
    You are a finite person trying to comprehend the actions of an eternal God. Of course you can not even begin to comprehend what He does.

Biblically God reveals Himself in two ways: Natural and Special Revelations.

Natural revelations is the world we see around us. It all points to Him and shows his Divine nature.
    Special revelation is mainly the Word of God. It can also be the burning bush, Jesus showing Himself on Damascus road, etc. However, I believe those encounters now, if they happen at all, are very few and scarce.

The Westminster Confession of Faith puts it nicely:
    I. Although the light of nature, and the works of creation and providence do so far manifest the goodness, wisdom, and power of God, as to leave men unexcusable;[1] yet are they not sufficient to give that knowledge of God, and of His will, which is necessary unto salvation.[2] Therefore it pleased the Lord, at sundry times, and in divers manners, to reveal Himself, and to declare that His will unto His Church;[3] and afterwards for the better preserving and propagating of the truth, and for the more sure establishment and comfort of the Church against the corruption of the flesh, and the malice of Satan and of the world, to commit the same wholly unto writing;[4] which makes the Holy Scripture to be most necessary;[5] those former ways of God's revealing His will unto His people being now ceased

Sure you're not a troll. ;)

It's good to know you're not trying to start a theological debate or anything.

Damn! This is a good cigar!

Last edited:

JWG223

Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Aug 16, 2011
    Shreveport
    To all the atheists out there - happy salvation. Let me know how it all works out for you ~

Makai, whiskey bravo sierra 2924 clear, out.
    So many "Christians" seem to do all they can to bandy about the belief that they are saved. If anyone IS "saved", I highly doubt it's them.

goodburbon

Whalmitfahrer
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Oct 9, 2008
    Around
    Fine, the interpretation that you believe to be correct, is obviously the correct one. Any other interpretation must be wrong, since you don't believe it. Your beliefs are the end all, end of discussion.

spanky

Gold Member
    Rating - 100%
    141   0   0
    Sep 12, 2006
    Gonzales, LA
    Funny how both sides will argue eternally knowing full well they will never convince the other side to change their mind.

jmanrogers

SGT JMAN
    Rating - 100%
    78   0   0
    Jan 3, 2011
    Alexandria
    I really just don't see any divine characteristics portrayed in God throughout the Bible, which doesn't appear to be an all-original work when you research it further.

"Why did God harden Pharaoh’s heart?"

Exodus 7:3-4 says, “But I will harden Pharaoh's heart, and though I multiply my miraculous signs and wonders in Egypt he will not listen to you. Then I will lay my hand on Egypt and with mighty acts of judgment I will bring out my people the Israelites.” It seems unjust for God to harden Pharaoh’s heart and then to punish Pharaoh and Egypt for what Pharaoh decided when his heart was hardened. Why would God harden Pharaoh’s heart just so He could judge Egypt more severely with additional plagues?

First, Pharaoh was not an innocent or godly man. He was a brutal dictator overseeing the terrible abuse and oppression of the Israelites, who likely numbered over 1.5 million people at that time. The Egyptian pharaohs had enslaved the Israelites for 400 years. A previous pharaoh—possibly even the pharaoh in question—ordered that male Israelite babies be killed at birth (Exodus 1:16). The pharaoh God hardened was an evil man, and the nation he ruled agreed with, or at least did not oppose, his evil actions.

Second, before the first few plagues, Pharaoh hardened his own heart against letting the Israelites go. “Pharaoh's heart became hard” (Exodus 7:13, 22; 8:19). “But when Pharaoh saw that there was relief, he hardened his heart” (Exodus 8:15). “But this time also Pharaoh hardened his heart” (Exodus 8:32). Pharaoh could have spared Egypt of all the plagues if he had not hardened his own heart. God was giving Pharaoh increasingly severe warnings of the judgment that was to come. Pharaoh chose to bring judgment on himself and on his nation by hardening his own heart against God’s commands.

As a result of Pharaoh’s hard-heartedness, God hardened Pharaoh’s heart even further, allowing for the last few plagues (Exodus 9:12; 10:20, 27). Pharaoh and Egypt had brought these judgments on themselves with 400 years of slavery and mass murder. Since the wages of sin is death (Romans 6:23), and Pharaoh and Egypt had horribly sinned against God, it would have been just if God had completely annihilated Egypt. Therefore, God’s hardening Pharaoh’s heart was not unjust, and His bringing additional plagues against Egypt was not unjust. The plagues, as terrible as they were, actually demonstrate God’s mercy in not completely destroying Egypt, which would have been a perfectly just penalty.

Romans 9:17-18 declares, “For the Scripture says to Pharaoh: ‘I raised you up for this very purpose, that I might display my power in you and that my name might be proclaimed in all the earth.’ Therefore God has mercy on whom He wants to have mercy, and He hardens whom He wants to harden.” From a human perspective, it seems wrong for God to harden a person and then punish the person He has hardened. Biblically speaking, however, we have all sinned against God (Romans 3:23), and the just penalty for that sin is death (Romans 6:23). Therefore, God’s hardening and punishing a person is not unjust; it is actually merciful in comparison to what the person deserves.

Sargon of Akkad

Where did you get that impression that the Bible borrowed from Sargon of Akkad? Sargon (thought by many to be Nimrod), was no more than a conqueror who died and offered you nothing.

Pyramids

Here is a good theory about Pyramids: http://io9.com/5827208/a-theory-tha...in-how-the-great-pyramids-of-egypt-were-built
    As far as all the other stuff, why do you concern with it. Everything has to be PROVEN to you for you to believe. However, you haven't PROVEN anything to me to cause me to disbelieve. Instead, you keep asking questions for PROOF.

I leave you with this. Since you have so much time reading and studying how God and the Bible isn't real, why don't you fast for a few days with water only, pray, read God's word and ask Him to reveal Himself to you and see what happens when you crucify your flesh. You might be amazed.

And one last thing, because I'm through. Philip. 2:9-11 "Wherefore God also hath highly exalted him, and given him a name which is above every name: That at the name of Jesus every knee should bow, of things in heaven, and things in earth, and things under the earth; And that every tongue should confess that Jesus Christ is Lord, to the glory of God the Father."

You can go ahead and kneel and confess NOW, because you WILL do it later! Have a good one and I'll be praying for you this week.

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    bharden68
    Top Bottom