What are your religious beliefs?

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • What are you?

• Roman Catholic

Votes: 46 41.1%
    • Eastern Orthodoxy

Votes: 1 0.9%
    • Baptist

Votes: 25 22.3%
    • Reformed Baptist

Votes: 0 0.0%
    • Presbyterian

Votes: 2 1.8%
    • Pentecostal/AoG

Votes: 9 8.0%
    • Non-Denom

Votes: 22 19.6%
    • Methodist

Votes: 3 2.7%
    • SDA

Votes: 1 0.9%
    • Lutheran

Votes: 3 2.7%

• Total voters
    • Poll closed .

JWG223

Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Aug 16, 2011
    Shreveport
    Since the religious debate has been opened up I've got a question, Why is church on Sunday? It was changed at some point but can't seem to track down a who, when, and why.

It was changed during the rule of Constantine. The reason it was changed was to help facilitate the transition between pagan sun-worship and the newly budding Christian religion. This is also why we see the halo in so many early christian artworks. It is directly associated with worship of the sun (not the Son). Christians today, by and large, would be stunned at how close their worship traditions and beliefs are related to paganism. Many other things have been "borrowed" from paganism by the Catholic and other churches that arose.

It was usually on Saturday for the Jews, but it was changed to Sunday because that is the day the resurrection happened.

Biblical text please...

I have sat through hundreds of hours of theology classes throughout school, and attended 2 decades of church services, and even told the last Baptist pastor who wanted to make an issue of it with me back when I was practicing, that he could have a nice, crisp $100 bill if he could find me a contextually accurate passage in the Bible nullifying Saturday worship and replacing it with Sunday worship. He did not get my money. No-one has ever read me that text, in context.

Last edited:

Takuan

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 10, 2009
    NOLA
    Over the summer, I read "Christianity: The First Three Thousand Years," by Diarmaid MacCulloch... a very good, comprehensive, not-too-scholarly cultural history... highly recommended. (Though I wish I'd had the actual book, instead of an iBook... reading an iPad is a bit fatiguing.)

Last edited:

Hitman

® ™
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Sep 4, 2008
    Lake Charles
    It was changed during the rule of Constantine. The reason it was changed was to help facilitate the transition between pagan sun-worship and the newly budding Christian religion. This is also why we see the halo in so many early christian artworks. It is directly associated with worship of the sun (not the Son). Christians today, by and large, would be stunned at how close their worship traditions and beliefs are related to paganism. Many other things have been "borrowed" from paganism by the Catholic and other churches that arose.

Biblical text please...

That's one opinion but not really in-line with biblical teaching.
    http://www.gotquestions.org/Saturday-Sunday.html

There is no one verse that says Sat./Sun.; not that it really matters what day anyway.

Takuan

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 10, 2009
    NOLA
    I don't know whether anyone watched last night's debate, but Romney and Perry going at each other trumped any vitriolic back and forth in this thread.

I_FLY_LOW

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 15, 2007
    Gonzales
    :dunno:
    christianslater.jpg
    :D

Hitman

® ™
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Sep 4, 2008
    Lake Charles
    Have we come to an agreement on what a religion is?

Nope and that could be a whole other topic.

In this day and age with the way we as a people are Religion has taken on a new meaning I feel.

I subscribe to this definition;
    - a specific fundamental set of beliefs and practices generally agreed upon by a number of persons or sects

762NATO

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 27, 2011
    Lafayette
    I do not see why this is such an issue for some. If you do not want to post or do not like it, go elsewhere. No member is required to post. No member is required to read this either. What is the big deal?
    Believe what you will, but there is but One, and that's Christ and Him Crucified.

Ironman26

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 18, 2010
    Patterson, La
    What I want to know is why people of no faith ALWAY have to say something about those of us with faith. If you don't believe in God then why would you spend SO MUCH TIME trying to convince us he doesn't exist?

Look at it this way. If God doesn't exist, religion is making a bunch of nice people for a world that you get to live in. If God does exist, you're getting your asses kicked when you die. Either way, Why the hell would you care if we believe and why would you put so much time into telling us we don't know what we're talking about.

Actually, Christians know that answer.

Carry on -
    I've been reading all of the responses to this post.....This response and question sums it up pretty damn good!!!!!

sandman7925

Wealthy women wanted
    Gold Member
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    May 16, 2010
    False River
    What I want to know is why people of no faith ALWAY have to say something about those of us with faith. If you don't believe in God then why would you spend SO MUCH TIME trying to convince us he doesn't exist?

Look at it this way. If God doesn't exist, religion is making a bunch of nice people for a world that you get to live in. If God does exist, you're getting your asses kicked when you die. Either way, Why the hell would you care if we believe and why would you put so much time into telling us we don't know what we're talking about.

Actually, Christians know that answer.

Carry on -
    I agree. I don't believe but I do not try to convince others. If someone wants to worship a rock I don't care.

Leonidas

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Mar 4, 2010
    Slidell
    I agree. I don't believe but I do not try to convince others. If someone wants to worship a rock I don't care.

I am fascinated by your response. You likely do not know that Jesus once said that if people did not worship and praise Him, the rocks would. There's some kind of karma in there for you, friend.

Hitman

® ™
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Sep 4, 2008
    Lake Charles
    I am fascinated by your response. You likely do not know that Jesus once said that if people did not worship and praise Him, the rocks would. There's some kind of karma in there for you, friend.

Luke 19:37-40
    37As he was drawing near—already on the way down the Mount of Olives— the whole multitude of his disciples began to rejoice and praise God with a loud voice for all the mighty works that they had seen, 38saying, "Blessed is the King who comes in the name of the Lord! Peace in heaven and glory in the highest!" 39 And some of the Pharisees in the crowd said to him, "Teacher, rebuke your disciples." 40He answered, "I tell you, if these were silent, the very stones would cry out."

Leo if you’re fascinated with that what do you think of Romans 1:18-32 ?

sandman7925

Wealthy women wanted
    Gold Member
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    May 16, 2010
    False River
    I hope it's good karma. Wait, do I believe in karma....oh yeah, that's a whole other thread:D

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    bharden68
    Top Bottom