What is the best plastic pistol out right now and why?

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Guate_shooter

LA CHP Instructor # 522
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Dec 4, 2009
    (Breaux Bridge)
    And lock not releasing the pistol due to a foreign object in the locking mechanism.

Seen that FIRST hand at a training class in Orange Texas with Mr. Payne, talk about a POS trying to get the damm thing to let loose with a loaded gun playing so close to the trigger ..................

MAH I'll passsssssss

rcm192

Sic semper tyrannis
    Staff member
    Rating - 100%
    111   0   0
    May 31, 2010
    New Orleans area
    well i hope my serpa doesnt EFF up on me. I just got done modifying it for my p30. It was designed to fit a p2000.

293897_10150312495601891_640896890_8387349_1381745041_n.jpg

Do they make or what MOLLE attachment could i use for 12 oz bottles or cans? I was thinking a MOLLE vest would be a nice addition to Mardi Gras :rofl:

Last edited:

goteron

Unity Tactical
    Rating - 100%
    38   0   0
    Dec 8, 2009
    Houma, LA
    Why on the vest. I cannot suggest this enough: get a different holster. Most quality trainers will not allow them at their classes as they are hazards to safety.

rcm192

Sic semper tyrannis
    Staff member
    Rating - 100%
    111   0   0
    May 31, 2010
    New Orleans area
    Why on the vest. I cannot suggest this enough: get a different holster. Most quality trainers will not allow them at their classes as they are hazards to safety.

its only on the vest until i get a molle drop leg attachment. I just had access to the holster and MOLLE adapter for a good price. Im more of a "why not" person. I figure that i can always change it up at any point. YAKNOWWHADDA mean?

Guate_shooter

LA CHP Instructor # 522
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Dec 4, 2009
    (Breaux Bridge)
    Do they make or what MOLLE attachment could i use for 12 oz bottles or cans? I was thinking a MOLLE vest would be a nice addition to Mardi Gras :rofl:

THey sure do, John Willis with OSOE makes a can koozie/holder with molle attachment ..........

I have a bunch of stuff in ACU for sale in case you are interested for that vest ........

JWG223

Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Aug 16, 2011
    Shreveport
    Just kinda looking for opinions from facts more then I shoot this one and it's the best.

I have shot HK's, XD's, Glocks, and FN (under the Browning name).

So far I have found the Glock to be the most to my liking, with the HK coming second, and the XD/XDM a distant third because I hate how they feel in my hand. YMMV. I have not shot an M&P. The Browning/FN I was neither here nor there on.

I really liked how the HK felt under recoil, the dual spring setup really does help. The Glocks, well, they are very accurate for me, I love how the trigger feels (VERY predictable, even if it is like crushing a twinkie with your finger), and shot-to-shot recovery was pretty good because of the grip angle I am guessing. Reliability has been flawless with every Glock I have shot. Some of the HK's, not so much, but they were of unknown round-count and maintenance, although they were clean (USP in .45 that had FTE's from time to time).

The Glock and HK were on the playing field first. Whether it should or not, that means something to me.

Last edited:

RyanW

Koch-head
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Nov 5, 2010
    Baton Rouge
    The Glock and HK were on the playing field first. Whether it should or not, that means something to me.

HK was around for a little over a decade before glock jumped into the picture, but yes they were out there before EVERYONE started making plastic guns. I can agree with you on the way the XD's felt, I just felt like I was holding a gun that came in a happy meal. I don;t know what it is, but the texture just seems like cheap toy plastic in my hand, and I just haven't been able to get over that.

JWG223

Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Aug 16, 2011
    Shreveport
    HK was around for a little over a decade before glock jumped into the picture, but yes they were out there before EVERYONE started making plastic guns. I can agree with you on the way the XD's felt, I just felt like I was holding a gun that came in a happy meal. I don;t know what it is, but the texture just seems like cheap toy plastic in my hand, and I just haven't been able to get over that.

Yep, I think HK was out in the 70's with their plastic, and Glock in the late 80's, although I don't really follow either company's history.

Vanilla Gorilla

The Gringo Pistolero
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Feb 22, 2008
    If anybodys looking for a P30 TriParish Police Supply in Houma has a hot deal on one in DA/SA. If I got to wear an external carrier on duty there would be a spare 19 on it somewhere. I don't like carrying my primary up top but I do love carrying a back-up there. When deployed and manning a gun on a truck I always moved my pistol to my vest in case a booger eater got under my gun.

JWG223

Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Aug 16, 2011
    Shreveport
    Which models, how many HK's are we talking about, and who did they belong to?
    USP45, USP40, both owned by a former roommate. They were both pre-owned and I do not know their history. This was a while back and I do not remember the ammunition used. It was likely either Blazer brass,or Remington UMC. The USP40 was flawless, the USP45 had several FTE's whereupon it appeared to have stove-piped. My roommate is the one who was firing it when I observed these malfunctions. I do not recall if it did it to me or not.

I ask because when making decisions or suggestions - why include information that soundes ancedotal and/or incomplete?

I personally own several HK's, have many thousands of rounds through them, over 8K through one in particular. I recently had my very first malfunction in an HK using a "bag o ammo" that I'd collected over the past 20 years. The bullet smashed halfway back into the case instead of riding up the feedramp. I don't hold that against the gun.

I also own many glocks and have owed a dozen or more in my life. I've put a hell of a lot of rounds through them but I've also had several malfunctions.
    I have owned a G19, and have experience shooting my former roommate's G17 and G32. The only failures that occurred were due to incorrectly holding the pistol. (We were firing it while holding it at 90* over a 55 gallon drum of water, and trying to avoid being splashed. The recovered T-series looked impressive. Obviously it jammed as the wrist was not behind it.)

In both cases it is statistically insignificant. When I decided to shoot the HK's over the Glocks, it wasn't a reliability issue. They are both very reliable guns.
    I agree.
    I do find the HK to be marginally more accurate, better trigger (LEM), better mag release, and generally faster.
    I agree on the mag-release, have not tried the LEM trigger, and feel that either can be fast, but did enjoy the HK recoil reduction system. IT works. Both weapons are far more accurate than I am and produced ragged holes at 15 yards for me. Good enough is good enough.
    That said, ANY automatic can be made to barf with bad ammo, failure to maintain, bad mags, bad springs, etc etc etc.

I hope I better qualified my experiences with the weapons mentioned.

dos gris

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 8, 2008
    ... I recently had my very first malfunction in an HK using a "bag o ammo" that I'd collected over the past 20 years. The bullet smashed halfway back into the case instead of riding up the feedramp. I don't hold that against the gun.

Aha, aha! And what did H&K Customer Support have to say about that? Did they replace the gun and pay shipping both ways? How long did it take? Did they include a half dozen free magazines for your troubles? If not, it's because H&K thinks you suck and hates you.

I read it on the internet.

Tulse Luper

Besmirched!
    Rating - 100%
    64   0   0
    Oct 29, 2008
    Metairie
    will put dependability/function/fit/accuracy of Springfield 45XD up against any Glock/S&W/HK out there.

I wish my XD would have read that before the mags (two of them) decided to lock up tight after being dropped in the fine sand of the Tangi range during a USPSA match.

Funny, Glock, HK and S&W don't seem to do that. I have not heard the reports, at least.

Sin-ster

GM of 4 Letter Outbursts
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    I wish my XD would have read that before the mags (two of them) decided to lock up tight after being dropped in the fine sand of the Tangi range during a USPSA match.

Funny, Glock, HK and S&W don't seem to do that. I have not heard the reports, at least.

Same sand got AlphaMike's XD mags recently. You should see him scrub 'em when they hit the dirt there and at Poplarville.

They go right back into my G17 after a quick dust off. :bravo:

Hardballing

Rating - 100%
    38   0   0
    Jan 8, 2010
    Metairie, LA
    will put dependability/function/fit/accuracy of Springfield 45XD up against any Glock/S&W/HK out there.

That would make it you against the shooting world, particularly those in the various militaries and LE's who carry for a living, but...to each their own. :)

I hope you never have to do just that.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    never miss at 200 yards
    Top Bottom