What you shooting

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • christardo

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 16, 2024
    Covington, La
    Was Mathews fan for years!!! Love them, but I would say go shoot a few and try them, test drive like a car, go to a bow shop!! A qualified bow tech. That can fit a bow to you is a absolute must… don’t go get a Cabela’s bow bow with 42 options of adjustments and you try to figure it out… like you don’t go to Walmart to get a nice fitted tux for your wedding… go to a professional…

Btw I’m a cheater now.. Raven R5X :noes: :noes: Target is 75 yard shot lol View attachment 171190View attachment 171191
    Everyone I hunt with hunts with crossbows and I always give them **** about it

Bigchillin83

Rating - 100%
    103   0   1
    Feb 27, 2012
    Livingston
    Everyone I hunt with hunts with crossbows and I always give them **** about it
    I personally just don’t have the string time every year to practice and be where I need to be confident and conditioned to the level of bow hunting respect deserves and is required …

Nothing like finally getting in the stand and not doing enough practice and making a bad shot, praying you missed and not connected badly… bad shot with a rifle is way better than a bad bow shot..

Plus it’s much easier with my lil boys getting them out there early season to get some venison before they spotlighted to much in Livingston parish and get spooky lol

YoungMarine

Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Dec 4, 2013
    West Fel.
    Whoa this thread has been around for awhile. The last time I posted was in 2014 and was still hunting with a compound. Like many, I felt archery was becoming too "mechanical" and shooting a compound was no longer fun so made the switch to hunting with longbows and recurves in 2017. Sure, you have to practice more, but archery and hunting is way more exciting shooting traditional bows and I think most would agree if they gave it a try. I encourage everyone to play around with a trad bow if you get the chance.

I know tons of people (friends and family included) are into crossbows now as we naturally gravitate to what is easy so can't fault anyone for their choice of legal hunting weapon that the hunting industry and wildlife taxing authorities have imposed upon us. Heck, I still go rifle hunting occasionally but am of the old school mindset that crossbows should be reserved for the handicapped only during archery season like it used to be. There's still plenty of time to fill tags during muzzleloader and rifle seasons (I don't know of anyone that starved because they couldn't use a crossbow in years past lol). People fought hard for early archery seasons and they didn't fight those battles hoping one day they could sit in a box stand and make 100 yard shots with a crossbow. The guys that fought for early archery season were fanatics that wanted to hunt the hard way for a few weeks before the orange army hit the woods. Bowhunting is supposed to make you a better woodsman.

Enough of my unpopular opinion. I prefer Wes Wallace recurves and received a fine macassar ebony and osage Mentor model Wes had been building in January and will use it this season. The osage wood has been mellowing and not quite as bright yellow and will eventually become darker over the years. I have also been also shooting a CD Archery WF21 riser with Hoyt limbs that is a sweet shooter will probably be coming in the woods as well.

Good luck to all this coming season.

ww.jpg
    ww3.jpg
    20240629_173850.jpg

pandabear

Gold Member
    Rating - 100%
    85   0   0
    May 1, 2014
    Baton Rouge, Louisiana
    Whoa this thread has been around for awhile. The last time I posted was in 2014 and was still hunting with a compound. Like many, I felt archery was becoming too "mechanical" and shooting a compound was no longer fun so made the switch to hunting with longbows and recurves in 2017. Sure, you have to practice more, but archery and hunting is way more exciting shooting traditional bows and I think most would agree if they gave it a try. I encourage everyone to play around with a trad bow if you get the chance.

I know tons of people (friends and family included) are into crossbows now as we naturally gravitate to what is easy so can't fault anyone for their choice of legal hunting weapon that the hunting industry and wildlife taxing authorities have imposed upon us. Heck, I still go rifle hunting occasionally but am of the old school mindset that crossbows should be reserved for the handicapped only during archery season like it used to be. There's still plenty of time to fill tags during muzzleloader and rifle seasons (I don't know of anyone that starved because they couldn't use a crossbow in years past lol). People fought hard for early archery seasons and they didn't fight those battles hoping one day they could sit in a box stand and make 100 yard shots with a crossbow. The guys that fought for early archery season were fanatics that wanted to hunt the hard way for a few weeks before the orange army hit the woods. Bowhunting is supposed to make you a better woodsman.

Enough of my unpopular opinion. I prefer Wes Wallace recurves and received a fine macassar ebony and osage Mentor model Wes had been building in January and will use it this season. The osage wood has been mellowing and not quite as bright yellow and will eventually become darker over the years. I have also been also shooting a CD Archery WF21 riser with Hoyt limbs that is a sweet shooter will probably be coming in the woods as well.

Good luck to all this coming season.

View attachment 171228View attachment 171229View attachment 171230
    I agreed with you 100%

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Bree
    Top Bottom