What's the worst gun advice you were ever given?

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Quickdraw22

I SPEAK DA THUGG!1!
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Oct 18, 2007
    Sulphur, Louisiana
    Like Kcinnick -

"Get your girlfriend a small S&W J-Frame that handles .38+P. She hasn't shot before? No problem, it's basically a beginner's gun".

Probably the least fun of a firearm that I've ever shot...

JLouv

Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jun 13, 2010
    Youngsville
    When I purchased got my first handgun <years before the internet>:

"Go with the S&W Sigma. It's exactly like a glock....just cheaper"

In retrospect....it wasn't entirely inaccurate advice. It was cheaper. In every way possible.

returningliberty

Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Nov 8, 2009
    Hammond, LA
    Worst piece of advice? Right here:

Along those lines, "Don't buy a Hi-Point. They're just crap."

The best gun for the money by far. Also the ugliest and the heaviest but if you can get past that...

Second worst?
    All the ladies who show up to my class with mouse guns and 2" .38+P revolvers. they can't even See the sights, much less aim properly. Don't get me started on recoil. The guns Hammer them. The few who physically can't pass with their own have to use my "scary" 9mm full size. Then they pass easily and complain about their husbands buying them guns totally unsuited for them.

mineralman55

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 10, 2009
    Northshore
    When first looking for reloading equipment, an old greybeard selling equipment at a gun show 25 years ago told me I'd never need a progressive press. It's too much, too expensive, too complicated. Glad I ignored him and bought a progressive which I'm still using.

1911Dave

Rating - 100%
    60   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Mandeville
    When first looking for reloading equipment, an old greybeard selling equipment at a gun show 25 years ago told me I'd never need a progressive press. It's too much, too expensive, too complicated. Glad I ignored him and bought a progressive which I'm still using.

+1 When I started looking before I got my progressive, people said to just start with a single stage and learn on there. Glad I didnt. If you just treat a progressive as a single stage to start with and learn the basics, you can then treat it as a progressive as you learn.

jdindadell

Not Banned!!!
    Rating - 100%
    267   0   1
    Feb 14, 2010
    Slidell
    I get alot of "advice" from various people who hear that i am "into gns".

My favorite is when they tell me that there is no reason I should buy multiple mags for my guns.

Worst advice i ever got was the guy at the gun show selling me the taurus 92 and tellimg me the glock i was looking at was junk... Fast forward a decade and I turned to the dark side anyway.

madwabbit

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 2, 2013
    Lafayette, LA
    Gun show in lafayette last year:

"If you have any concern for your family's safety you'll have a pistol-caliber carbine for home defense...like this one, right here!"

-whats wrong with my mossberg 500a?

"Son that'll blow through a wall and hit your kids"

-I use #4buck shot

"You ever shot it inside, the blast alone would be deafening!"

-okay what about my 9mm or 22 instead? I could use subsonic rounds and just fire multiple shots

"This won't penetrate walls, won't sound like an explosion indoors, and is far superior to-

-Excuse me. You're telling me the pistol caliber .45 can stop a man at 75 yards, but you say it won't penetrate sheet rock at ten feet, and won't damage my son's ears if I fire it it a few feet away?"

/walk away

ckelly

Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Metairie
    someone told me i should put a "bullet button" on my ar b/c there not gonna be legal soon. i said "that's OK I rather just have a simple mag release".

Praesul Presul

On Target.....Sometimes
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    May 15, 2008
    Western KY
    "This here is an XD which is what all competitors are going too and most police departments. They will put Glock out of business." Gunshop flunkie quote.

Skiney

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Nov 29, 2010
    Between the A & the T
    Look out World....Hosay is up in heah...

Taurus is the only company with the lack of self respect to make something that gaudy.

Skiney, I didn't know you were a closet Mexican.

See Seniour B:}

I'm out the closet, and off the chain:}

zmveza3eeyz6dj0292ad.jpg

tibodoe

Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jan 17, 2011
    Baton Rouge
    The worst advice I ever LISTENED to makes me sick to this day. 1991 or 92 I was offered one of 4
    transferrable full auto ar lowers. They were $3500 each. I was given the advice' " man you are crazy
    to spend that much for just a lower, you can get a complete Bushmaster for $700". I took the advice.

sandman7925

Wealthy women wanted
    Gold Member
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   0
    May 16, 2010
    False River
    This came from a guy with a custom r700 that cost about 5k.

"You're never supposed to clean you're bore because once its seasoned with a certain type of ammo you should leave it alone forever"

I didn't attempt to argue.

mukwah

Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Aug 26, 2012
    Shreveport,La
    Once told not to buy a Ruger Blackhawk, completely disassembled in a shoe box for $125 .Bought it anyway and took it to Clarks to be reassembled w/trigger job and sold it for $600. Never have been much good at doing what I was told! :cool:

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    SSWEEEE
    Top Bottom