Which "TACTICAL" 22 rifle and why?

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Skiney

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Nov 29, 2010
    Between the A & the T
    Good evening:

I would appreciate some feedback on which AR/Tactical type 22 rifle to purchase.

The likes/dislikes and why; would be very helpful to a nubie like me to this type of weapon.

Thank you in advance for your input.
    S.

Last edited:

edman87k5

Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Oct 22, 2007
    Ventress, LA
    I can only speak for the one I have- colt. I do like it, but had I been buying in the store and not trading for it, i probably would have bought the smith and wesson because of the good things I heard about it. I do like that the colt has a carry handle and std style sights though. It is picky about ammo- doesnt like golden bullet, but all other cheap ammo seems to work fine. I like it and its operation. I do wish the 30 round mags were smaller, but that is minor.

22lr

The Lost Hoosier
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Sep 11, 2011
    Bossier City
    I had a Spikes tactical dedicated 22lr upper for a while, it was ok. Still cant beat a 10/22 in a nice stock.....

But if you must, out of the ones ive tried the dedicated rifle/dedicated uppers are the only way to go. Conversion kits work, you just need to keep them clean. Once they gunk up, they tend to turn into complete crap. I like the dedicated uppers mainly since you still get to keep the goodies on your prime lower. I have my lower exactly how I like it, and id rather not drop another $600 to bring another lower up to specs.....

Bosco

We are the hammer
    Rating - 100%
    56   0   0
    Sep 4, 2009
    Covington
    I love my Sig 522

Eats whatever I put in it. Only jams I've had so far has been with the Remington subsonics (my marlin 60 loves them but the 522 seems to hangup at least once a magazine with them)

NOLASHOOTER

Rating - 100%
    55   0   0
    Jul 9, 2010
    New Orleans
    I think your two top choices would be the S & W 15-22 and the Sig 522. Both run great and eat just about anything. Only thing you would have to ask is whether you are looking for an AR style or if you could live with the 522 look. Depends if you are going to crap it up with a bunch of useless accessories.
    I know people would say the Ruger 10/22 but you are saying tactical. While the reliability and accuracy of the 10/22 is notable any tactical stock you put on it makes it a pain to take apart and clean. That is a great benefit to the 15-22 and 522. Push a pin out and remove the bolt and you can clean it very easily.
    I owned the 522 BOSCO commented on and it did run great but if I had the money to buy one right now I would go with the 15-22 because I love the AR platform.

LawDawg

Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Aug 19, 2012
    Benton, LA
    I just picked up the HK-416 .22LR on Election Day, but haven't had a chance to get it on the range. So far it seems very well built and all of the online reviews were great. Both upper and lower are metal, not nearly as much plastic as other AR clones. Heck, the dust cover even works correctly.

DAUC

running from safety
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    May 19, 2011
    NOLA
    I had this same dilemma a while ago and ended up going with the CMMG dedicated .22 like http://www.cmmginc.com/product_p/22a7c2a.htm. The main reasons I went with that rifle was it uses a milspec lower, so I can put another upper on it and shoot whatever I want. That is not the case with the M&P 15-22, which was my other choice. I went in with the idea that I would be able to just but a new upper when I was ready to upgrade to 5.56, but ended up building another rifle since then. It still give me the option to just buy another upper and have another 5.56 rifle. I also got a good deal on the CMMG from a member here. One benefit of the 15-22 is that the mags are more thumb friendly :) You can't go wrong with either, just depends on what you are looking to do.

22lr

The Lost Hoosier
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Sep 11, 2011
    Bossier City
    Are the dedicated uppers built to accept standard AR parts so I could configure it like my 5.56 uppers?

Some of them. I know the Spikes unit that I had was identical to any other AR upper minus the barrel and BCG. I cant speak to the other brands, but they should be the same.

lsutigers2008

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Sep 28, 2009
    Baton Rouge
    I picked up a ruger 10/22 from a pawn shop for 120 and put an archangel stock on it I got for 100 off of cheaperthandirt.com. I love it. Will fire anything and everything I run through it. Looks kind of like an ar style 22 but much cheaper. The mags are dirt cheap and are easily found. Has all the accessory rails an ar platform does too. Only downside is that its polymer.

goteron

Unity Tactical
    Rating - 100%
    38   0   0
    Dec 8, 2009
    Houma, LA
    I have a spikes conversion and it runs great. It's a dedicated gun though. And I would suggest doing a dedicated setup. It gets dirty.

Gus McCrae

No sir, I ain't.
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Feb 25, 2009
    Colorado
    Marlin39Anewstock001.jpg

:o

Top Bottom