Who here has a Keurig?

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • RedStickChick

-Global Mod-
    Premium Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 6, 2012
    Baton Rouge
    Ok, long story short is that I'm a coffee addict trying to save money and brew my own coffee. I need simple, clean, and easy. Don't mind spending a little extra to get something that isn't going to be a pain or take 20 minutes to brew every morning. I live alone so the single cup thing works best for me instead of brewing a whole pot.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. I'm going to look at them this week (was waiting for Christmas craziness to subside), but I want to find something I can fit a tumbler under (taller than a standard coffee mug).

Thanks y'all!

RSC

P.S. also looking at some programmable coffee makers, but nothing has caught my eye.

Last edited:

JWG223

Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Aug 16, 2011
    Shreveport
    I just use my cheap coffee maker and a spoon full of instant. I did, however, buy my Mom a Keurig this year, she seems happy. My former roommate likes his, as well.

mrsfury

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 11, 2011
    I adore mine however it is the cheapie model and cannot fit a large cup underneath, only a standard coffee cup. If I want more I just brew two cups and pour them in the travel mug. You can get the reusable filter things (which I have but only use when out of pre-packaged K Cups) but for me they are a pain. The whole point is not to have to clean anything. Just pop in a K Cup, hit start and you are done. To asianpersuasion, I cannot imagine why the brewed coffee tastes better. You can put any kind of coffee you want into a K Cup filter.

PPBart

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 25, 2012
    Denham Springs, LA
    My son-in-law has had one for a couple of years, loves it; I've had coffee from his, tastes fine to me (and I drink a lot of coffee, mostly Community). I received a K45 as gift for Christmas, haven't had time to even un-box it yet but will do so today.

Dave328

Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Jul 11, 2007
    Gretna
    I've had the Keurig Vue V700 for about a year and I love it. Starbucks has Vue pods, so that was a plus to me also. It can make the coffee stronger than normal, and makes from 8-18oz from a regular pod, but they make bigger pods specifically for travel mugs. I used to have a Tassimo, but it just got so hard to find coffee after a while. Another plus is the Vue filter cup that I found at Bed, Bath & Beyond. It allows you to use cheaper ground coffee instead of the ready made pods.
    Now I want the Keurig Rivo to put next to it. It only does espresso/cappuccino/latte using Italian Lavazza coffee pods.

Last edited:

Booseman

In Vino Veritas
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010
    Lake Charles
    A little disclaimer here. I am not a coffee drinker by any means. Maybe 3-5 cups a year. With that said my has the K45 at home and had one in Iraq for almost 2 years that not only she used but many other people as well. I am guessing at saying that it brewed 12-15 cups a day in Iraq and never missed a beat. At home, before the preggars, she was doing 3-4 a day. She loves it and so do her parents. We got them one as well. They liked the idea that they could use Community coffee with the little gizmo that fits the machine. It is also great for tea, coca and many other things. Found Amazon to be the best place to buy the cups, large selection and good prices.

http://www.keurig.com/brewers/elite-brewing-system

krg-alt-b48.png

SVTFreak

Huh?
    Rating - 100%
    34   0   0
    Jan 20, 2009
    Galvez
    Chick, you said save money. The K cups are expensive. You can use the mesh insert amd not use cups.

I. Liked mine other than I drink too much. Easier to just make a pot. Also, it doesn't seem to make it quite strong enough for me.

Ivan

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 15, 2012
    Church Point, la
    I've had my plat b70 almost 2 years now and love it. 3-5 cups a day on average. I know the k cups are more expensive not as strong but I did manage to find some strong coffee. On average I drink 2 cups in the morning and 1 maybe 2 in the afternoon. so brewing a whole pot is a little wasteful, so the k system works for me. I like the idea of brewing from a tiny tea cup size to a big 18oz mug. The bottom slides out so you can brew a travel cup.

Pas Tout La

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 12, 2012
    Droite La
    Chick, you said save money. The K cups are expensive. You can use the mesh insert amd not use cups.

I. Liked mine other than I drink too much. Easier to just make a pot. Also, it doesn't seem to make it quite strong enough for me.

You nailed it. I go through a pot in the morning just before work! They do make the Community Coffee cups, but they aren't cheap and I find it taste more like a strong tea. I like my like I like my women, strong and bitter, and the Keurig just couldn't do that for me. My wife uses it every morning for her coffee and I'll use it from time to time for hot chocolate. All in all, I think it was a very good investment.

Dishonored

Hunter
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Oct 27, 2012
    Prairieville
    Bought my fiancé the Vué this year for Christmas. We have used it twice now and I find it extremely simple.
    Has an auto start time and an auto off time. She puts her pod in there the night before. It kicks on at 7 and preheats. She selects brew and within 3 minutes she is ready to walk out the door for work and it automatically stop after 7:15

The pods for the Vué are a little more exspensive I believe though and not found as easily. Wal mart didn't have them in store.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

john17427

Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Oct 23, 2010
    Baton Rouge
    My wife has one and I figured out that a whole cartridge of community makes a half cup just the way I like it. A whole cup of water is too weak for my taste.

Booseman

In Vino Veritas
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010
    Lake Charles
    My wife has one and I figured out that a whole cartridge of community makes a half cup just the way I like it. A whole cup of water is too weak for my taste.

That is the my wife does it as well. She prefers her stuff on the strong side. Uses a larger cup and uses two cups.

Redd508

Rating - 100%
    27   0   0
    May 18, 2012
    Lafayette
    I have a Keurig and a Flavia Fusion (which i prefer) and i still use an old drip pot most often. For a single cup a day, easy to use and clean and cost effective alternative i would recommend a good french press mug. Let it sit a little longer for a stronger cup and take it anywhere with you. Coffee by the pound is much cheaper than by the k-cup.

K9CopSGT

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 15, 2008
    Lutcher, LA
    My wife just got for Christmas the Keurig that Booseman has pictured and she loves it. I find that it does not make a large enough cup of coffee for me. I have had the Hamilton Beach 2-way Brewer for a year or so, and that is perfect for me. I can brew a single cup or a pot.

Now, just adding this for FYI purposes; if you compare the prices of the boxes of single-cup inserts for the Keurigs to the price of a large container of ground coffee, you make out a LOT better cost wise with the large container.

XD-GEM

XD-GEM
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jun 8, 2008
    New Orleans
    My Dad has one and loves it, but the little refills are expensive.

When I was single, I used a stove top camping percolator - cheap, easy maintenance, and no filters to mess with. Made good coffee, too.

sgt z

Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    Hammond, LA
    I too choose instant coffee, Nescafe, one spoonful in the mouth and wash it down, GTG. Just kidding, I actually take the time to boil the water in a kettle and make regular cup. I have found the Nescafe is the same from batch to batch and good umph without freeze-dried taste. I also just opt for the expresso machine, it just takes a quick rinse of the strainer unless I use the steamer for milk.

Top Bottom