Wingmaster vs. Express

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Bosco

We are the hammer
    Rating - 100%
    56   0   0
    Sep 4, 2009
    Covington
    Found this on google:

Here's the main differences between the Express, the Wingmaster, and the Police:

The Express:
    A rougher, unpolished finish inside and out. More burrs.
    A rough black finish.
    A hardwood or synthetic stock.
    Cheaper, impressed checkering.
    A black bolt.
    A plastic trigger group.
    The lockable safety button.
    "Possible" a two piece barrel.
    The new style magazine assembly with plastic parts and the "dimples".
    A rougher bore in the barrel.
    Uses some MIM, (moulded steel parts) in critical areas, like the extractor.

The Wingmaster:
    A much smoother, polished finish inside and out. No burrs.
    A polished blue finish.
    Walnut or synthetic stocks with choice of gloss or satin finish.
    Better quality checkering.
    A chrome plated bolt.
    An aluminum trigger group.
    The Lockable safety button.
    A one piece barrel.
    The old style steel magazine assembly, no dimples.
    A much smoother bore.
    No MIM parts are used in any critical area.

The Police.
    A smooth finish inside and out.
    A Mil-spec parkerized finish.
    Walnut or synthetic stock.
    Black bolt.
    Aluminum trigger guard
    NO lockable safety button.
    A one piece barrel.
    The old style magazine assembly, no dimples, will take magazine extensions, etc.
    A smooth, polished bore.
    No MIM parts used.
    A heavy-duty magazine spring.
    A heavy-duty trigger-sear spring.
    POSSIBLY heavier shell releases.
    A wide choice in sights, stocks, magazine extensions, and other accessories.

NOTE: I keep hearing that Remington has discontinued the lockable safety button, and I'm not SURE Remington does use heavy-duty shell releases on the Police model.

Also, there is a good chance the Express barrels are made of two pieces: a rear section with the barrel extension and locking recess, with a barrel sleeved into it.
    On most newer Express guns I can just make out what appears to be the joint just in front of the chamber area.

Bottom line: There's more (or less) to the Express than JUST the finish and wood.
    Although all the Remington guns use the same forged and milled steel receiver, the Express uses some cheaper MIM and plastic parts.

JBP55

La. CHP Instructor #409
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    340   0   0
    Apr 15, 2008
    Walker
    Variants

There are hundreds of variations of the Remington 870 in 12, 16, 20, 28 gauges and .410 bore. From the original fifteen models offered, Remington currently produces dozens of models for civilian, law enforcement, and military sales. 870 variants can be grouped into:

Wingmaster – Blued steel with high gloss or satin walnut stocks. They have been offered in Skeet, Trap, and field configurations. Originally the basic Wingmaster was chambered for 2 3/4" rounds and came with a fixed choke, and the 3" chambered versions were designated Magnum models. Models built after 1986 offer the RemChoke Interchangeable choke tube system, and the 12 and 20 gauge versions are chambered in 3" for either 2 3/4" or 3" shells. Prior to the introduction of the "Police" model 870, altered Wingmasters were popular among law enforcement.
    Police – Blued or Parkerized steel with satin walnut, stained hardwood, or synthetic stocks. These models feature a stronger sear spring and magazine spring, and they receive extra care and inspections during assembly. The Police models also often have an extended tube magazine.
    Marine – Nickel plated with synthetic stocks.
    Express – Matte blue/black bead-blasted with laminated hardwood or synthetic stocks and chambered for 2 3/4" and 3" 12 or 20 gauge shotshells. All Expresses have been chambered in 3" in 12 and 20 gauge, but markings have varied.
    Super Mag – Chambered for 3½" 12 gauge shotshells.
    MCS (Modular Combat Shotgun) – A new modular version of the M870 which can be quickly modified with different barrels, magazine tubes, and stocks for different purposes, such as urban combat and door breaching.

SpeedRacer

Rating - 100%
    92   0   0
    Feb 23, 2007
    Mandeville, LA
    Having owned both (sold my Express and own a Wingmaster Police), the action and trigger on the Wingmaster is much smoother and it feels like a tank, while the Express felt like a cheap toy in comparison.

JBP55

La. CHP Instructor #409
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    340   0   0
    Apr 15, 2008
    Walker
    Here's what Remington says about the difference between the Express and the Police guns:

REMINGTON ARMS COMPANY, LE DIVISION
    Important differences between Remington 870 Police and 870 Express shotguns
    The 870 Express has been an important part of Remington’s offering to the sporting market.
    It was designed to meet a price point in the commercial market while still providing classic 870 functionality.
    All of Remington’s 870’s have interchangeable parts, even if they have cosmetic differences.
    It is also important to note that many manufacturers use the 870 Express platform for their Police / Combat models.
    Without exception, every manufacturer who utilizes our 870 platform serves to upgrade their system to a more efficient, street worthy platform.
    While the 870 Express is still an 870, the best pump shotgun on the market, there are some very important cosmetic and functional differences between it and the 870 Police.
    To our customers in Law Enforcement, Military, Corrections, and Security, whose lives depend upon the unfailing performance of Remington shotguns, the Police modifications are of paramount importance. Synopses of the variances are provided below.

• 870 Police shotguns go thru a special 23 station check list – ranging from visual inspection, functional testing, test firing, and final inspection.

• All Police shotguns are assembled in a *special build area* at the plant in Ilion, NY. This section is secured and serves only to build LE and Military shotguns, with the same factory personnel working at that assignment each shift.

• All parts that enter the *special build area* are visually inspected by hand to ensure top quality and functionality.

• Due to heavy recoil in buck and slug loads, all 870 Police guns have a longer magazine spring which ensures positive feed and function.

• A heavier sear spring is used to generate a reliable, positive trigger pull between 5 and 8 lbs.

• A heavier carrier dog spring is used to ensure when the carrier elevates the shell, it will be held there until the bolt can push it into the chamber. This ensures positive feeding when using heavier payload rounds.

• Police shotguns do not have an ISS (Integrated Safety System) which is a locking mechanism on the safety of commercial shotguns. This type of locking mechanism can cause delay to an officer who needs the weapon but does not have the appropriate key. LE shotguns have the standard, proven, cross bolt safety.

• The fore-end on the Express model is longer and not compatible with many police shotgun vehicle racks.

• The Police shotguns utilize the heavy duty SPEEDFEED Stocks and Fore-ends.

• The Express model will not allow for the addition of an extension tube without physical modification to the tube and barrel, which can nullify the warranty.

• The Express model has a BEAD BLAST BLUE finish while the Police models utilize either High Luster bluing or Parkerization.

• The Express model utilizes a synthetic trigger housing while the Police models use a compressed metal housing.

• The Police shotgun barrel is locked down with a *ball detent* system in conjunction with the magazine cap vs. a lesser grade *synthetic magazine spring retainer* lock down as used on the Express system.

• The receivers used in Police guns are *vibra honed* to smooth out rough finishes and remove burrs before parkerization or bluing.

• Police shotguns use machined ejectors and extractors, as opposed to powdered metal cast which are utilized on the Express models.

bwalke1

Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Jul 27, 2010
    Baton Rouge
    found this also, interesting if true.

"Well I can assure you that is the wrong part as that is an 870 carrier dog follower spring that comes in every 870.

There is no 870 Police Carrier dog follower spring listed on any part list anywhere, anyplace as no such part exsist.

If you go to my web site www.aiptactical.com and click on the red link to the How to videos and then on the how to video "Carrier Dog follower Spring" you will see where I show a black spring that is used in the P model in place of the carrier dog follower spring. It is part number 16966 and is a model 1100 carrier latch spring and retails for $3.20 from Remington."
    Remington Factory Certified
    Law Enforcement Armorer

AK shooter

Redneck with a gun!
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Apr 12, 2008
    Raceland
    I have an Express I have probably put close to 15 cases of steel through. It is just as good as the wingmaster just not as nice. Its an excellent shotgun for the price.

Last edited:

Dishonored

Hunter
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Oct 27, 2012
    Prairieville
    I don't even know what I have lol
    It shoots 2-3/4" and 3". Is 6+1.
    Pump. Does/Did not have these "dimples" but does not have police written on it.....
    y5ezagub.jpg

Gunfighter

Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Nov 13, 2012
    Baton Rouge
    After reading this it sounds like the two are look alikes but completely different shotguns. All this time I thought it was just the appearence aspect.

FrankJr

Tazer,Mace,then Miranda
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Oct 12, 2007
    Zachary, La
    Accurate info above. Jist of it is Express is fine and dandy for shooting birds and furry animals. If you life depends on it the Police and wingmaster have more reliable parts in certain areas.

AK shooter

Redneck with a gun!
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Apr 12, 2008
    Raceland
    Accurate info above. Jist of it is Express is fine and dandy for shooting birds and furry animals. If you life depends on it the Police and wingmaster have more reliable parts in certain areas.

I doubt it. I have used my 870 harder than any police officer ever will.

Hitman

® ™
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Sep 4, 2008
    Lake Charles
    I've got over 8,000 Shells through my 94' Express 20ga. and it hunts every bird every bird season.

Smooth as Silk(Definitely not Burry? lol) and as superficial as it may sound, I've simply never had a single issue with the gun. I've run over it with a 4 wheeler when it came off the rack, it's slid off of a Truck Tool Box onto the asphalt. It's been under water a few times and got me out of a very icy situation once too.

I mean IMO that spells durable dependability. Why would I look elsewhere with performance like that? I hear the later Express Models might have had an issue with the parkerizing over spray or something? Not sure but it's not a problem with mine.

my .02 :dunno:

dixiejarhead

Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    May 27, 2012
    NOLA/Northshore!
    I've got over 8,000 Shells through my 94' Express 20ga. and it hunts every bird every bird season.

Smooth as Silk(Definitely not Burry? lol) and as superficial as it may sound, I've simply never had a single issue with the gun. I've run over it with a 4 wheeler when it came off the rack, it's slid off of a Truck Tool Box onto the asphalt. It's been under water a few times and got me out of a very icy situation once too.

I mean IMO that spells durable dependability. Why would I look elsewhere with performance like that? I hear the later Express Models might have had an issue with the parkerizing over spray or something? Not sure but it's not a problem with mine.

my .02 :dunno:

People often look for reasons to justify spending more money on something and to tell you what they have is better than what you have. In reality - and in some areas such as the pump shotgun market - it really does'nt matter, they perform the same. Been my experiance for the past 25 years....

Hitman

® ™
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Sep 4, 2008
    Lake Charles
    People often look for reasons to justify spending more money on something and to tell you what they have is better than what you have. In reality - and in some areas such as the pump shotgun market - it really does'nt matter, they perform the same. Been my experiance for the past 25 years....

Well I'm not saying anyone here is saying that but that's been my experience with an 870 and everyone I've ever talked to (in person) has had the same thing to say about them. Regardless of whether or not it's an Express/Police/Marine/Wingmaster etc.

They just work. :dunno:

Still working on getting a VersaMax though :mamoru:

JNieman

Dush
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 11, 2011
    Lafayette
    I had poor experience with my 870 Express Magnum I purchased around 2008. It didn't like low brass light skeet loads, and would routinely stick in chamber, requiring me to "mortar" the slide. Buck and rifled Slug was fine, though I didn't shoot /nearly/ the volume of those as I did various birdshot.

When I first bought it, it was a very rough shotgun. It would not cycle rounds until my father and I took it completely down and cleaned and oiled surfaces and worked the action for quite a while. We sat in the basement for a while, passing the gun back and forth, working the action, while watching a race on his old TV. Then checked to make sure it was oiled and put grease in a couple good places. Then when we went out again to bust some clays, it did better. Not much of an issue after that.

That left a bad taste in my mouth for the 'Express' line ever since. I know.. one gun.. but a lot of what gun people do is 'personal' - from justifying their cheap guns (Hi Points to Kel Tecs) to justifying their high end fashion brands (Noveske, Hk) Then... some just get a chubby at "customs" and unique items.

To each his own. It's a big, big gun world.

bwalke1

Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Jul 27, 2010
    Baton Rouge
    "I had poor experience with my 870 Express Magnum I purchased around 2008. It didn't like low brass light skeet loads, and would routinely stick in chamber, requiring me to "mortar" the slide. Buck and rifled Slug was fine, though I didn't shoot /nearly/ the volume of those as I did various birdshot."

i had the same experience with low brass low recoil buckshot, and noticed that it worked fine with everything else. kept wondering why i was having problems until i noticed the low brass low recoil buckshot did not have a brass head but was made out of aluminum. no aluminum, no problem

Top Bottom