4th of July DUI Checkpoint Video

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Status
    Not open for further replies.

geauxbubba

"No Comment"
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Nov 8, 2008
    Lacombe
    I have one question, any K-9 experts here? Was the guy in the video right about the command to get the dog to react so they could do the "legal search"?

CEHollier

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Dec 29, 2007
    Prairieville
    I have one question, any K-9 experts here? Was the guy in the video right about the command to get the dog to react so they could do the "legal search"?

3_qt_Popcorn_Bowl.jpg

oppsImissed

Rating - 94.6%
    35   2   0
    Sep 3, 2012
    somewhere south of I12
    This thread is ******** in so manhy ways. Any D.A. will tell you that the deputy has the right and power to interpret the law under each circumstance. Do I think these stops are unconstitunal? Yes and no but as a fireman I support them. As a citizen driving along the highway I hate them. I have seen drivers trying to make u turns to avoid them cause a major fatality accident. I dont give a **** how many times I get stopped in a DUI checkpoint. Its yes sir, no sir, and thank you sir. I have even given a state trooper my spare stream light batteries cause his light was dieing. I hate people who provoke LEO during stops. I hate the internet wizards that open carry with there video recorders on. All this does is make law abiding citizens look like idiots. There is enough sterotyping going on with gun owners and open carry. This crap makes us all look bad. Just wait till you need LEO and they are tied up dealing with a know it all and his video camera. When second count they are minutes away dealing with this crap......................................

oppsImissed

Rating - 94.6%
    35   2   0
    Sep 3, 2012
    somewhere south of I12
    And yes, any handler has comands to make a dog hit anywhere on the vehicle that he wants. I have a 10 year old German Shepard that came from Nashville Metro police. Any one of yall are free to come by and see. She will still hit on command. Is it legal? maybe not. Does it take contraband off the street. You bet you azz it does.

cajun_64

Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Mar 22, 2012
    Abbeville
    Yeah, the jails are full of people who did no wrong but got their rights violated

was this sarcasm? we all know that the least little thing can get you charged with Interfearing with an investagation. Another charge that is misused alot. But here again, act like an azz, get treated like one.

It was not sarcasm. Not a dig to you, either

How many in jail admit to breaking any law. They are most all innocent, according to them.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

AustinBR

Make your own luck
    Staff member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Oct 22, 2012
    I am not a K-9 expert by any means, but I have two exceptionally trained German Shepherds. I could make my younger one "hit" like that on just about anything if I wanted to...including cars, people, cats, or even a wall. Logic would dictate that if my non-police pup could do it, then a dog that is worked 8 hours a day would probably figure the same thing out. Besides, these dogs get praised to "hit" on things and to find something. That is what they want to do...and they are damn good at it.

themcfarland

tactical hangover
    Rating - 100%
    58   0   0
    Dec 6, 2008
    Destrehan
    I have a major problem with check points. I have a problem with many areas that say pulling a u-turn to avoid one means you get pulled over and sobriety-tested regardless. I have a problem with these just as I have a problem with the current controversy over Bloomberg's "stop and frisk" policy.

Yes, drunk drivers suck. Yes, they kill. Yes, it's horrific what details occur in the worse incidents. I think MADD began, or at least continued to exacerbate, the power the "scared suburban moms" have over legislation and public policy, and have cornered legislators from being able to make rational reform, instead having to bow to the emotional kneejerking of their public. Just as Speedracer shows in this thread, people do not justify the drunk stops with rational arguments or logic, they instead try to paint a horrific and gruesome picture and insinuate that anyone who doesn't like such checkpoints is ok with those gruesome events, as if it's simply a binary option with no other complications or side effects.

I've long learned it doesn't make sense to argue such things on this site, though. No one here approaches discussions with an open mind but rather awaits the next post that crosses their opinions and will tear it down into submission or stagnation, whichever comes last.

Especially on issues like this. Issues borne more in emotion than reason are particularly immune to development. When you base your ideas of public safety not on reason, current facts/figures, changes and trends in statistics, but base it in emotional hypotheticals, you can never change or adapt. You will always be stuck to that emotionally charged gruesome picture and you've then been successfully lobbied by whoever sought to convert you - adhering not to reality, reason, or logic, which can adapt and change to suit the best interest of society, but instead to an immortal idea that is stoic and unmoving, regardless of appropriateness or relevance to the modern world.
    Well Said.

SpeedRacer

Rating - 100%
    92   0   0
    Feb 23, 2007
    Mandeville, LA
    I still just don't get the outrage. If me spending a whopping 15 seconds of my life rolling down my window, saying a few words to a cop, and driving off potentially helps take a drunk off the street before he hurts or kills someone else...I'm okay with it. I'm either a shitty American or a decent human being, I just can't decide.

GunRelated

Rating - 100%
    41   0   0
    Feb 22, 2012
    Walker, La
    And yes, any handler has comands to make a dog hit anywhere on the vehicle that he wants. I have a 10 year old German Shepard that came from Nashville Metro police. Any one of yall are free to come by and see. She will still hit on command. Is it legal? maybe not. Does it take contraband off the street. You bet you azz it does.

Rather it "takes contraband of the street" or not, its ****ing exploiting a loophole which in turn denies us our right to refuse a search. Read my previous post, I have experienced this first hand and you bet your ass if it happens again I will be videotaping and I will bring the officer to court.

Dishonored

Hunter
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Oct 27, 2012
    Prairieville
    I still just don't get the outrage. If me spending a whopping 15 seconds of my life rolling down my window, saying a few words to a cop, and driving off potentially helps take a drunk off the street before he hurts or kills someone else...I'm okay with it. I'm either a shitty American or a decent human being, I just can't decide.

I decided a long time ago I am both.
    Feel free to join the few and the proud.

oppsImissed

Rating - 94.6%
    35   2   0
    Sep 3, 2012
    somewhere south of I12
    Rather it "takes contraband of the street" or not, its ****ing exploiting a loophole which in turn denies us our right to refuse a search. Read my previous post, I have experienced this first hand and you bet your ass if it happens again I will be videotaping and I will bring the officer to court.

I do agree with you. I really do. Dont take this wrong, seriously not taking a stab at any one here. But if the dog alerts and the search turns up nothing, whats the harm? I have seen this argument in court many times. Listened to it debated by a JAG officer at Ft Mccllenon. "the dog had no right to alert on my Truck" Jag officer asks "Didnt they find contraband?" Private replies " Yes Sir, But there was no way the dog smelled it" I guess my point is, if you have nothing to hide, just let them do there job. I would rather give away 15 minutes of my day than 15k of my money in a court battle trying to disprove probable cause. And if they do find dope in my truck. well i deserve to goto jail. Case closed. Yes im pissy tonight. No I am not trying to bash anyone. Well yes, I am bashing the idiot that made the video.

themcfarland

tactical hangover
    Rating - 100%
    58   0   0
    Dec 6, 2008
    Destrehan
    I just cant afford the court process, and really think the battle is not in the field, but in the court itself.. By the time the cops need to do this, we have already lost our ability to argue it, or defend against it..

Its the same as giving up our guns to make the world a better, safer place..
    If we give up or ability to defend against this then we are letting our rights get eroded just a little bit every day it happens..
    I believe they take bad guys off the street, but at what length do we let them erode our rights?? If we let cops just walk into each and every home, they would also get a lot of bad guys off the street and many, many illegal guns and drugs, but it also is against the law RIGHT NOW>.
    dont get me wrong, its not the cops per se' as much as the guys who we have elected pass this stupid law..

GunRelated

Rating - 100%
    41   0   0
    Feb 22, 2012
    Walker, La
    I do agree with you. I really do. Dont take this wrong, seriously not taking a stab at any one here. But if the dog alerts and the search turns up nothing, whats the harm? I have seen this argument in court many times. Listened to it debated by a JAG officer at Ft Mccllenon. "the dog had no right to alert on my Truck" Jag officer asks "Didnt they find contraband?" Private replies " Yes Sir, But there was no way the dog smelled it" I guess my point is, if you have nothing to hide, just let them do there job. I would rather give away 15 minutes of my day than 15k of my money in a court battle trying to disprove probable cause. And if they do find dope in my truck. well i deserve to goto jail. Case closed. Yes im pissy tonight. No I am not trying to bash anyone. Well yes, I am bashing the idiot that made the video.

What's the harm? I don't know how many times you have had your car searched, but it takes a lot longer than 15 minutes. Let me make a small list of the harms for you.

1) Its a way to deny our right to not consent to search
    2) A normal search can take anywhere between 30 minutes to an hour and a half
    3) Dog puts scratches on your vehicle for no reason
    4) Many times during a search of a vehicle there is damages to the interior which most of the time you are the one who has to have it fixed
    5) I have had personal items come up missing after a search

The point is, if someone refuses a search and the K-9 doesn't hit on his own then leave it at that. Chances are, if the dog doesn't smell something then there's either nothing there or its only a small quantity or drugs and our prisons are overrun by users already. Why not take this for what it is, a way to drain a little more money out of the pockets of tax payers in many ways and a way to get around our right to refuse a search.

oleheat

Professional Amateur
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    May 18, 2009
    So I trust by now y'all have reached a common agreement about this, right? :dogkeke:

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Top Bottom