4th of July DUI Checkpoint Video

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Status
    Not open for further replies.

JNieman

Dush
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 11, 2011
    Lafayette
    I have a major problem with check points. I have a problem with many areas that say pulling a u-turn to avoid one means you get pulled over and sobriety-tested regardless. I have a problem with these just as I have a problem with the current controversy over Bloomberg's "stop and frisk" policy.

Yes, drunk drivers suck. Yes, they kill. Yes, it's horrific what details occur in the worse incidents. I think MADD began, or at least continued to exacerbate, the power the "scared suburban moms" have over legislation and public policy, and have cornered legislators from being able to make rational reform, instead having to bow to the emotional kneejerking of their public. Just as Speedracer shows in this thread, people do not justify the drunk stops with rational arguments or logic, they instead try to paint a horrific and gruesome picture and insinuate that anyone who doesn't like such checkpoints is ok with those gruesome events, as if it's simply a binary option with no other complications or side effects.

I've long learned it doesn't make sense to argue such things on this site, though. No one here approaches discussions with an open mind but rather awaits the next post that crosses their opinions and will tear it down into submission or stagnation, whichever comes last.

Especially on issues like this. Issues borne more in emotion than reason are particularly immune to development. When you base your ideas of public safety not on reason, current facts/figures, changes and trends in statistics, but base it in emotional hypotheticals, you can never change or adapt. You will always be stuck to that emotionally charged gruesome picture and you've then been successfully lobbied by whoever sought to convert you - adhering not to reality, reason, or logic, which can adapt and change to suit the best interest of society, but instead to an immortal idea that is stoic and unmoving, regardless of appropriateness or relevance to the modern world.

Last edited:

Emperor

Seriously Misunderstood!
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 7, 2011
    Nether region
    I have a major problem with check points. I have a problem with many areas that say pulling a u-turn to avoid one means you get pulled over and sobriety-tested regardless. I have a problem with these just as I have a problem with the current controversy over Bloomberg's "stop and frisk" policy.

Yes, drunk drivers suck. Yes, they kill. Yes, it's horrific what details occur in the worse incidents. I think MADD began, or at least continued to exacerbate, the power the "scared suburban moms" have over legislation and public policy, and have cornered legislators from being able to make rational reform, instead having to bow to the emotional kneejerking of their public. Just as Speedracer shows in this thread, people do not justify the drunk stops with rational arguments or logic, they instead try to paint a horrific and gruesome picture and insinuate that anyone who doesn't like such checkpoints is ok with those gruesome events, as if it's simply a binary option with no other complications or side effects.

I've long learned it doesn't make sense to argue such things on this site, though. No one here approaches discussions with an open mind but rather awaits the next post that crosses their opinions and will tear it down into submission or stagnation, whichever comes last.

Especially on issues like this. Issues borne more in emotion than reason are particularly immune to development. When you base your ideas of public safety not on reason, current facts/figures, changes and trends in statistics, but base it in emotional hypotheticals, you can never change or adapt. You will always be stuck to that emotionally charged gruesome picture and you've then been successfully lobbied by whoever sought to convert you - adhering not to reality, reason, or logic, which can adapt and change to suit the best interest of society, but instead to an immortal idea that is stoic and unmoving, regardless of appropriateness or relevance to the modern world.

I believe I laid out my argument quite open mindedly! :redfinger:

oleheat

Professional Amateur
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    May 18, 2009
    This is one of his Youtube "favorites"....

Oh Lurid.
    sm8.jpg

Broke

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jun 27, 2013
    Baton Rouge area
    How many of you have cleaned up or responded to a DUI accident and there's been a mass casualty? Anyone? Like scraping up brains of a 12 year old off of pavement because some dick couldn't call a cab?

I have. 3 young girls cut in half by a guard rail. It's the worst thing I've ever seen. It's been years but I haven't forgotten the sight and smell of it.

cajun_64

Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Mar 22, 2012
    Abbeville

You just described our whole political system :hi5:

Broke

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jun 27, 2013
    Baton Rouge area
    Anyone got any stats on how effective the DUI checks are?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I897 using Tapatalk 2

I assume you would never know the "real" impact. The only thing we see is the number of people that go to jail and are charged with DUI. You'll never know what "Could have happened" down the road.

GunRelated

Rating - 100%
    41   0   0
    Feb 22, 2012
    Walker, La
    I must assume that all the guys here that say "why not just comply and make it easier for everyone and go on about your business" has never been in a similar situation -without provoking an officer in any way-.

Here is why I totally understand this guys point of view, even if he did go about it "the wrong way".

I was traveling with a friend from home to Atlanta a few years ago. Of course I decided to travel late at night to avoid traffic. I got pulled over around 3 AM somewhere in Alabama (don't remember the interstate #, I could look it up, but it is really irrelevant). I was totally compliant, was not intoxicated, had NOTHING illegal in the car. I ask why I was pulled over and he told me that my tint was too dark. I was driving a rental which had NO TINT on the front windows and a light tint on the rear windows which is perfectly legal, which goes to show that he had absolutely no reason to pull us over in the first place other than to get into our vehicle.

The cop gets both of us out of the vehicle (this was on a very cold winter night) and starts questioning us about where we are going, ect. I was never rude at any point during the stop, in fact I made it a point to be as nice as I could be. He then asks me if I had anything illegal in the vehicle and if he could search.

I told him that I was very tired and still had a good bit of driving ahead of me so I would just like to get back in my car and go, not to mention it was cold and I didn't want to sit there for 45 minutes while he searched for something that wasn't there. So he calls for a K-9 unit.

The K-9 gets there and they begin the walk around. The cop starts hitting the car and yelling commands and guess what, the dog hits the car....so now he is at free will to hold us while he searches our vehicle.

He searches the car for 30-45 minutes while we freeze our asses off and of course comes up with nothing. We were issued no citations or warning about the "illegal tint" and we got in our car and left.

My point is, just because I was driving late at night on an interstate that is a known "drug trafficking route" doesn't mean that I am doing something illegal and does not give you the right to pull me over for no reason, then search my damn car for no reason. Do they ever think about the fact that the reason people take that route is because it is the quickest way to where they might be traveling or do they just assume that everyone that travels that route is trafficking drugs?

Just because you haven't been in this type of situation, don't think it can't or wont happen to you. At the end of the day, was it a huge inconvenience? Not really, but the situation should have never occurred in the first damn place. If a cop wants to search you, he is going to do it rather you allow him or not and IMO this is complete BS. They train these dogs to hit of vehicles when they give the command just so they can get in "without a warrant" or "reasonable cause" and it is a loophole they use to the fullest.

SVT

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 4, 2012
    Slidell
    I must assume that all the guys here that say "why not just comply and make it easier for everyone and go on about your business" has never been in a similar situation -without provoking an officer in any way-.

Here is why I totally understand this guys point of view, even if he did go about it "the wrong way".

I was traveling with a friend from home to Atlanta a few years ago. Of course I decided to travel late at night to avoid traffic. I got pulled over around 3 AM somewhere in Alabama (don't remember the interstate #, I could look it up, but it is really irrelevant). I was totally compliant, was not intoxicated, had NOTHING illegal in the car. I ask why I was pulled over and he told me that my tint was too dark. I was driving a rental which had NO TINT on the front windows and a light tint on the rear windows which is perfectly legal, which goes to show that he had absolutely no reason to pull us over in the first place other than to get into our vehicle.

The cop gets both of us out of the vehicle (this was on a very cold winter night) and starts questioning us about where we are going, ect. I was never rude at any point during the stop, in fact I made it a point to be as nice as I could be. He then asks me if I had anything illegal in the vehicle and if he could search.

I told him that I was very tired and still had a good bit of driving ahead of me so I would just like to get back in my car and go, not to mention it was cold and I didn't want to sit there for 45 minutes while he searched for something that wasn't there. So he calls for a K-9 unit.

The K-9 gets there and they begin the walk around. The cop starts hitting the car and yelling commands and guess what, the dog hits the car....so now he is at free will to hold us while he searches our vehicle.

He searches the car for 30-45 minutes while we freeze our asses off and of course comes up with nothing. We were issued no citations or warning about the "illegal tint" and we got in our car and left.

My point is, just because I was driving late at night on an interstate that is a known "drug trafficking route" doesn't mean that I am doing something illegal and does not give you the right to pull me over for no reason, then search my damn car for no reason. Do they ever think about the fact that the reason people take that route is because it is the quickest way to where they might be traveling or do they just assume that everyone that travels that route is trafficking drugs?

Just because you haven't been in this type of situation, don't think it can't or wont happen to you. At the end of the day, was it a huge inconvenience? Not really, but the situation should have never occurred in the first damn place. If a cop wants to search you, he is going to do it rather you allow him or not and IMO this is complete BS. They train these dogs to hit of vehicles when they give the command just so they can get in "without a warrant" or "reasonable cause" and it is a loophole they use to the fullest.

i-came-ghostbuster.jpg

oleheat

Professional Amateur
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    May 18, 2009
    So is the kid a smartass, or not??? :confused:

Poll? :p

I say yes, there is a great chance he is a smartass.

Bayoupiper

New Curmudgeon
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 28, 2008
    Iowa, LA
    Kid wouldn't roll down his window?

Park him and run field sobriety on him.

In this situation, it's the only way you can be sure since you can't smell his breath.

It would have saved the cop having an aneurism on Youtube and would have given the kid a lesson in field sobriety testing.

cajun_64

Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Mar 22, 2012
    Abbeville
    I used to work with an Electrician offshore who was from Florida. Single, white middle aged man.
    He drove a Caddy back and forth, I-10 to Orange, then south to Sabine Pass for 20 years, every 7 days

Back in the early 80's, he got stopped every time in Louisiana coming and going.

At first, he always held out for a search warrant and did not allow them to search. He finally figgured the extra hours each time was not worth the wait, so let them search each time if they wanted to. The only time he was not searched was when the LEO rememberd him(to give you an idea how long it lasted)

He told me it took a while, but understood the LEO had a job to do. His priority was to do his job and get back home safe at night. Not how right or wrong his task was.Much like his own job. It was not the place to argue with a guy who does have a gun, who may be having a really bad day and risk anything. His argument would be made in the safety of the courts

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Top Bottom