Anyone hit the CMP store in Anniston, AL for a Garand?

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Tulse Luper

Besmirched!
    Rating - 100%
    64   0   0
    Oct 29, 2008
    Metairie
    Anyone actually go to AL for their Garand. Can you pick the one you want if you go to the shop?

Only looks like about a 6 hour drive.

bs875

Rating - 100%
    232   0   0
    Mar 14, 2009
    Baton Rouge
    Anyone actually go to AL for their Garand. Can you pick the one you want if you go to the shop?

Only looks like about a 6 hour drive.

I haven't been but I have called. I know others have been. Yes, you get to pick your own rifle. You can either take it home that day but pay 9% sales tax or they will ship it to your house for $23. Rifles are $500-600 on average.

BSGA

BSGA
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 2, 2008
    Southwest,Louisiana
    I've been. I scored a great 1903 and a NM M1 a couple of years ago. I also found a very nice M1 less wood that turned out to shoot on par with the service grade rifles. It's a hoot to go there. I regret not getting one of the Mossberg .22's at the time. Make sure you have all of your CMP required paperwork in order if you wish to walk out with your treasure. Even if you don't make a purchase, it's a wonderful place to visit. When I went, they had an awesome pair of M1's in a glass case. WWII vintage, consecutive ser.#'s, and still in the wrap!!!!! If I recall correctly, they were like $19,000 for the pair!

dzelenka

D.R. 1827; HM; P100x3
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 2, 2008
    Covington
    3 of my friends went this past weekend. you should call to see what they have on the shelf. It changes often. I will be at the store at Camp Perry the 1st week of August hopefully just looking (over the years around 20 M1s, 1903s, 1903A3s and .22s have followed me home along with piles of brass and ammunition). It is too bad they don't have surprises like the year I bought a 20mm ammo can with 2000 new primed Match 7.62 cases in it for $200 or the 500 count bags of primed new WW pistol brass for $25 per bag. That was in 2003 and 2004. M14 parts are gone too. But there are the rifles. Racks and racks of rifles to fondle, fawn over and fall in love with. You would be advised to buy a set of throat and muzzle gauges so you can sort out the rifles with worn barrels. One year a friend and I walked down the row of service grade M1s with a muzzle gauge trying each gun until we found one that measured new. I let him buy it (big mistake). It turned out to be a heck of a shooter.

flamatrix99

Rating - 100%
    62   0   0
    Oct 7, 2008
    Zachary, La
    Yes I would call I was told that they are no longer putting Service Grade Garands in the stores because they are trying to catch up on the mail orders since NOvemeber. For example they received my Springfield Service Grade order 2/23 and I did not receive it til mid July. Carbine ammo is a 5-6 month wait. So call before you make the drive.

Tulse Luper

Besmirched!
    Rating - 100%
    64   0   0
    Oct 29, 2008
    Metairie
    Damn. Just called; no special or service grade at all this week.

Thanks for advising to call first, 'cause I would've carried my happy ass all the way up there, expecting everything on the web site to be there.

Last edited:

Tulse Luper

Besmirched!
    Rating - 100%
    64   0   0
    Oct 29, 2008
    Metairie
    Looks like I'm making the pilgrimage today. From a phone call, it seems they have lots of stock.

Should I look at the .22's or American Enfields or just resist. Hmmmm

sgt z

Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    Hammond, LA
    Look at the Winchesters, Carbine or Garand and report back as to how much of those are Winchester. Last time I went the Winchester Garands had shot-out SA barrels on them and very few Win parts. Get there early. I waited until opening last time I went and before the line of customers got in the door, one customer was putting three carbines on the counter.
    The gages are behind the counter and you can use them if you turn-in your drivers license. They will show you how to use them. Mossberg 22's were pretty well picked over last i went and there may not be any left. I have 3 of the Mossberg Mod. 44, good shooters. The Kimbers are very nice.
    I have shot the 22 ammo GE version, like all 22, the gun has to like it. I segregated by oal and weight and got tight groups with my 10/22. No malfunctions. Some ammo is not in the store.
    Have a clearly defined main objective, Garand, Carbine, other My friend looks for nice wood, I look for WWII receivers and barrels, some people look for cartouches. Some people are very helpful there. I wish I woulda listened when they pointed out things like VAR barrels and postage stamp tractor guns. Have Fun RZ

Tulse Luper

Besmirched!
    Rating - 100%
    64   0   0
    Oct 29, 2008
    Metairie
    sgt z, feel free to tell me more. Cause, admittedly, I don't have a clue. Anyone else, too. I'm leaving soon, but I'll check here tonight.

Thanks!

Mr.Hatch

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 22, 2008
    Central
    I was there this past Saturday. The store was full of Rack and Field grade Garands plus some specials (didn't really look at anything with a new stock). Most of the carbines were rack grade but there were some good ones to choose from. The only Service grades were about 10 or so Winchesters for 675.

Turn your paperwork in as soon as you get there so they can start processing you - saves a little time. Have fun - it's a hell of a place.

Tulse Luper

Besmirched!
    Rating - 100%
    64   0   0
    Oct 29, 2008
    Metairie
    A special service grade SA and a field grade HRA (TE:2 MW:2) left CMP with me yesterday. I will post the obligatory doting Father pictures soon. Thanks all for the advice.

One question: how can you tell who made the trigger groups? I don't see markings on the outside of the HRA.

Also, what are some good Garand resources on the net and book wise?

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Bree
    Top Bottom