Are we going to see a hurricane in a couple days?

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • foz1359

Time Traveler
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Feb 18, 2013
    Jefferson Parish
    I appreciate the informative post above -very helpful. Makes me wonder if I'd simply used no corn gas in the past would my woes have been avoidable? I'm sure there'll be some enthusiastic heck yeah's here.

I've had my fair share of unfortunate experiences with small engines and everytime the culprit was at the carburetor. I ditched Stabil years ago and switched to Star Tron as my fuel conditioner and only store 20 or so gals of summer blend fuel and then burn it in my truck come fall.

I've decided that my 2 cycle engines (saw and trimmer) are less susceptible to poor fuel quality than my Briggs genset is. I've only had to put one carb on a trimmer.

Even though I load test the Briggs a couple times a month, valves set, plug, filter, etc and whadoyaknow ...wound up putting a carb on it a few weeks ago cause it was running like doo doo.

Lastly -guy from Ready Power warranty swapped my engine on the Generac -it came with 2 cylinders and 1 head gasket. It was raining, he didn't back up from it. Transplanted here from Ruston. Nuff said.

La26

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 4, 2011
    Paulina, La.
    As others have said, remember to regularly check the oil level in your generators. If it runs on natural gas, you might not think about checking the oil, because it will run continuously. If you use gasoline to run it, check the oil level when you stop it to refuel it. Also recommended to let it cool down a couple minutes before refueling. Good Luck to everyone, hoping to be back to normal activities within the next day or so.

foz1359

Time Traveler
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Feb 18, 2013
    Jefferson Parish
    I'm watching the system down toward South America and the two out in the Atlantic.

I have a Firman T09371 generator and a GenTent XL Extreme for the Firman. About the best advice I can give on this short notice is use Stabil 360 Marine. It's made for humid environments.
    The Firman makes some great power -helped my neighbor service his this week, main thing was getting a full charge on the batt.

Gator 45/70

Rating - 100%
    31   0   0
    I was gonna spend the morning boarding up windows and filling sand bags but instead I had to install blinds in the bushes and tree stands in the trees to protect my place from the immigrants coming to eat my dogs.

Attachments

• 458762506_1030556665397448_2058001887624729792_n.jpg
      458762506_1030556665397448_2058001887624729792_n.jpg
      29.3 KB · Views: 20

hotbiggun

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 25, 2023
    Louisiana
    The Firman makes some great power -helped my neighbor service his this week, main thing was getting a full charge on the batt.
    I looked for a firman based on boltheads reccomendation but its slim picking right now. I read the reviews on the champion before i bought it. Hopefull it will last a few years. Ive had my small 2000w preditor for about 3 years now in it works although it did need the gas drained and a new spark plug but fired up afterwards.
    I really wanted a inverter gen because of the noise. Maybe next time.

John_

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Nov 23, 2013
    Hammond, LA
    I've had my fair share of unfortunate experiences with small engines and everytime the culprit was at the carburetor. I ditched Stabil years ago and switched to Star Tron as my fuel conditioner and only store 20 or so gals of summer blend fuel and then burn it in my truck come fall.
    Ditching Stabil is a really good move imo. I was using it up until 2.5 years ago. Switched to Sea Foam Marine formula after I read an article on what is in Stabil, and how it works. The Sea Foam Marine is much more expensive but its worth it imo. It is the best fuel stabilizer available for boats, and some of those boat owners sometimes use and store with 10% ethanol fuels in their tanks. It's just worth it to me to buy and use the best there is when it comes to my port gen fuel storage. You want it to work 100% when you need it, and the lights/power has gone off. I follow the manufacturer's instructions to the letter for "long term storage" prep. Drain or suction all the fuel out tank, run it no load til it stops, replace the lube oil, pull sparkplug and squirt in about a 1/4 oz of oil, immediately slow rotate piston/crank with pull starter to lube cylinder walls, then re-install sparkplug. One of mine (the Honda) has an easy bottom drain screw on carb float bowl so I open and make sure I get every bit of fuel out as possible.

After 2 or 2.5 years, I transfer my gas storage jug fuel into my vehicle tank. Then replace as warranted. SF Marine states treated fuel is good for 2 years on the bottle. Academy Sports stocks the SF Marine and its not too much more than any where else. Easy and close to my house.

Last edited:

Magdump

Don’t troll me bro!
    Rating - 100%
    166   0   0
    Dec 31, 2013
    Hammond, Louisiana
    I was gonna spend the morning boarding up windows and filling sand bags but instead I had to install blinds in the bushes and tree stands in the trees to protect my place from the immigrants coming to eat my dogs.
    I been in the shop working on guns and such since early this morning. House full of wife and kids ran me out here to have some peace. All these people get out of work and school for a hurricane…
    I know it’s not the same as your worries, but neither of us seems concerned with Francine. Cheers!

Bolt Head

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 12, 2023
    Alexandria
    Ditching Stabil is a really good move imo. I was using it up until 2.5 years ago. Switched to Sea Foam Marine formula after I read an article on what is in Stabil, and how it works. The Sea Foam Marine is much more expensive but its worth it imo. It is the best fuel stabilizer available for boats, and some of those boat owners sometimes use and store with 10% ethanol fuels in their tanks. It's just worth it to me to buy and use the best there is when it comes to my port gen fuel storage. You want it to work 100% when you need it, and the lights/power has gone off. I follow the manufacturer's instructions to the letter for "long term storage" prep. Drain or suction all the fuel out tank, run it no load til it stops, replace the lube oil, pull sparkplug and squirt in about a 1/4 oz of oil, immediately slow rotate piston/crank with pull starter to lube cylinder walls, then re-install sparkplug. One of mine (the Honda) has an easy bottom drain screw on carb float bowl so I open and make sure I get every bit of fuel out as possible.

After 2 or 2.5 years, I transfer my gas storage jug fuel into my vehicle tank. Then replace as warranted. SF Marine states treated fuel is good for 2 years on the bottle. Academy Sports stocks the SF Marine and its not too much more than any where else. Easy and close to my house.
    I read this without being logged in then went read about the Sea Foam Marine. I will be switching to Sea Foam Marine on my next load of generator gasoline. Thank you for mentioning it!

Sta-bil Marine is definitely better than nothing but it sure does appear that the SF Marine is better than Sta-bil. I'll just have to accept having heavy stocks of various fuel stabilizers. LOL

Bolt Head

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 12, 2023
    Alexandria
    Did upgrade to a new chainsaw as well, fresh gas cans, gas and oils, fresh new case. Not taking the packaging off of it or putting gas/oil in it if I don't need to. Hopefully it won't be needed.

Being on top of this hill, storm surge isn't an issue.

DBMJR1

Madame Mayor's Fiefdom
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jul 27, 2008
    New Orleans, La.
    My generators will run two small window air conditioners, a deep freeze, the big refrigerator, the beverage refrigerator, lights, TV, internet, and more. I can wash clothes, and use a solar and wind powered clothes dryer. The thing I miss after a storm is hot water. I'm all electric. Running the clothes dryer or the water heater is unrealistic. We, however, live in relative comfort.
    About a decade ago we had a storm. That Sunday all the neighbors were at my house to watch the Saints game on my big screen. I had a heck of a time trying to get them to leave after the game.

As far as dirty carburetors on a generator go, get some fuel filters and install them in the fuel line. They're cheap insurance. About a dollar apiece for a ten pack on Amazon. While your there, order more air filters for your generator. Don't forget oil changes.
    1726093504833.png

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Bree
    Top Bottom