Arrested by the Philadelphia PD for OC

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Speedlace

LOL...right?
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 23, 2007

Speedlace

LOL...right?
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 23, 2007
    Man who clashed with cops over legal gun was also armed with audio recorder

On a mild February afternoon, Fiorino, 25, decided to walk to an AutoZone on Frankford Avenue in Northeast Philly with the .40-caliber Glock he legally owns holstered in plain view on his left hip. His stroll ended when someone called out from behind: "Yo, Junior, what are you doing?"

Fiorino wheeled and saw Sgt. Michael Dougherty aiming a handgun at him.
    unled12.jpg
    http://www.philly.com/philly/hp/new...l_gun_was_also_armed_with_audio_recorder.html

§6108. Carrying Firearms on Public Streets or Public Property in Philadelphia.

No person shall carry a firearm, rifle or shotgun at any time upon the public streets or upon any public property in a city of the first class unless:

(1) such person is licensed to carry a firearm; or

(2) such person is exempt from licensing under section 6106(b) of this title (relating to firearms not to be carried without a license)

:)

oleheat

Professional Amateur
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    May 18, 2009
    Somehow, I fail to believe that it's the OCer community that's shooting up Philadelphia....:rolleyes:

Just another example of blaming the gun, not the individual.

KNOW THE LAW.

LongGoneDays

Mine. Not yours.
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 10, 2010
    Shreveport, LA
    We need a moderator to randomly quote people and ask them nonsensical questions about their posts, then lock the thread when everyone doesn't blow sunshine up their ass.

Oh sorry, wrong forum.

Just from going by the 1st audio clip, his appearance, and the quoted law, sounds like the officer making initial contact needs to get a job that doesn't allow him to have a weapon. Or talk to anyone.

03protege

#1 Stevel Spell II fan
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Nov 20, 2008
    Mandeville
    Guys you are all wrong.

Police spokesman Lt. Ray Evers said the department believes that Fiorino wanted to get into a confrontation with cops, that he wanted to see them lose their cool so he later could file a lawsuit.

Or, as one cop was overheard saying on the YouTube recording: "He set us the f--- up, that's what the f--- he did."

ackbar_2.jpg

EDIT: Ok I read the rest of the article and they keep crying about it being a set up. Do cops record confrontations in order to "set up" people? I don't think so, maybe philly cops don't have video/audio recorders.

Last edited:

oleheat

Professional Amateur
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    May 18, 2009
    Guys you are all wrong.

ackbar_2.jpg

Not sure what he used to record it (iphone, perhaps). But just to be fair, if he was carrying a dedicated recorder, then I suppose it could be said that he was expecting to have a run-in with the authorites. Okay? Okay.

.....HOWEVER, I personally do not know exactly what point the spokesman is trying to make here- or what that has to do with what his officer was saying to the Unsuspect....Is he implying that this somehow excuses them for making an unlawful arrest? Is it right to charge this man with things that stemmed directly from the officer's own misinterpretation of the local gun laws?:confused:

I agree with Hitman- perhaps those in Philly could learn a few things from the Oceanside PD officer, who- along with clearly being an asset and a great ambassador for his department- is a breath of fresh air in one of the more UN-friendly gun owner states....JMHO.

sraacke

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    St. Gabriel
    It's important to note that not all OCers are MEMites out to "set up" the police in hopes for a payday. The carrying of a audio recorder can provide some record of an incident such as a self defense shooting as pointed out in the article. But just as importantly, it is a record of what happens during an encounter with a business owner, fellow citizen or the rare hyped up, uneducated LEO who shows up with a gun drawn and shouting profanity. I regularly carry a digital recorder on my belt when out in public. I keep in in a double mag pouch next to my spare mag.
    magrecorderpouch.jpg

The vast majority of encounters are quick and professional. Personally I have never been disarmed and when asked to leave an establishment I do so right away and follow up later with a letter complaining to corporate and management. The audio recording is a record that I acted courtously and professionly during any encounter. Just as police cruiser dash cams have proven LEOs cases over the years and protected them so do the audio recorders many OCers regularly carry.
    It's not about setting up anyone. It's about them knowing the laws they are supposed to enforce and not harrassing or illegally detaining citizens who chose to conduct their business in a way that the officer may not feel is 'politically correct' or 'smart'. Just as the officer can't go around telling a gay couple that they can't hold hands or kiss in public because the officer finds it distasteful. Just as a LEO can't harrass a bicycle rider for riding on the right side of the road and following the rules of the road when the officer feels that "it's stupid to be riding in the street, you should stay on the sidewalk and stop disrupting traffic...."
    This isn't the first time LEOs have detained someone OCing and stood around tring to find a charge that would stick. There are several threads running over at the Open Carry dot ORG forum on other people facing similar charges.
    I posted photos and details of the efforts by LOCAL to educate LEOs, their departments and the general public in this forum and most recently in the thread OC laws in EBR.
    As seen so many times before, LEOs need to be professional and know the law before doing something like this. The OCer didn't set them up. The officer who drew down and cussed the citizen set himself up. Now he and his department may have to pay a hefty price for his ignorance.

Last edited:

03protege

#1 Stevel Spell II fan
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Nov 20, 2008
    Mandeville
    I use to have a voice recorder in my car and I certainly wasn't driving around looking to be pulled over or get in confrontations.

The guy said he carried the voice recorder to help prove his innocence if he ever had to shoot. In the obviously anti-gun area he lives in that seems like a decent idea.

sraacke

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    St. Gabriel
    Just make sure you don't reload your gun with a voice recorder :D

That would suck. In the middle of a firefight I reload, pull the trigger and hear "excuse me, could you tell me what isle the frosted flakes are on?" "sure, over on isle 5 right past the frozen food section." "thanks, hey, what's all that commotion up toward the registers?""I don't know. Looks like an arguement." ......

Emperor

Seriously Misunderstood!
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 7, 2011
    Nether region
    This seems to be a recurring problem.

Egad!

Doesn't it seem logical that a person with a gun strapped to them in plain view is not likely to be a criminal? It would be intereseting to see statistics which showed the number of open carry criminals vs. criminals that concealed prior to the offenses each committed.

XD-GEM

XD-GEM
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jun 8, 2008
    New Orleans
    Philadelphia is a special case. They knowingly passed a BUNCH of anti-gun ordinances in direct conflict with state law and the PA constitution. PAFOA, NRA, and other gun rights groups have been fighting them ever since. This is likely a part of that effort to have their illegal ordinances thrown out by the courts. FWIW, many Philadelphia cops support the PAFOA position, as does the DA and the Philadelphia city attorney.

The mayor and the City Council are another matter.

Top Bottom