Ascension Parish School Board

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • oleheat

Professional Amateur
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    May 18, 2009
    see that is where I can't go down to their level. I cannot stop donating to the clubs because then it hurts kids and students that need it. We buy plates from the FFA club and make a donation so that some members whose parents couldn't cover the total trip can attend the national FFA convention in Indianapolis. Same thing with the band program. We buy things to show support and donate undisclosed amounts to them as a company so that players can attend events like Bands of America etc.

I could have threatened that yesterday but that isnt how I was raised and I won't do that. I am pursueing this directly because I feel it is not acceptable for the school to hold my or anyone elses property that was not involved in a criminal matter. I may not have a dog in this fight now but I may in the future. Imagine if every person just didn't step forward to do something because it didn't currently involve them.

Spoke with the director again this morning. We both had some time to actually talk now. I explained to him where I stood and why. He could validate my concerns and understood them. He stated the system in place may not be the best but it is an evolving plan; that the cell phone policy currently in place has only been enforced for two years. The problem with anytime pick ups was it stopped administration from their work to track down a phone to be handed back to the parent and then if the teacher had not turned it in yet to the office having to track down said teacher etc. Most teachers are unable to turn the phone in until the end of the day if confiscated after their conference period. He asked me to attend a meeting with him and propose a more efficient solution. So looks like the ball is in my court; hopefully what I propose will be preached onto open ears.

Hope it works out for you.

tim9lives

Tim9
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 12, 2010
    New Orleans
    No phones in a Court Room is common .
    YES...it is common because Judges are like GODS. They literally set all policy in THEIR courts. But...that does not make it right. The courts are full of cops and bailiffs. A reasonable policy would be to put up a sign....and if anyone is caught with a phone on or ringing...confiscate it. Make the person wait till 5:30 to get it back.

I spent most of my life without a cell phone. I remember life without a phone. So I get it. I understand that it can be distracting to the judge and that taking pictures or filming would be a problem. But there are employees called Bailiffs. They should be able to police the problem.

Phones are just a part of life today. Making everyone leave their phones in their car only sends a message to thieves that they will find a phone in every parked car around the courts. IT ENCOURAGES CRIME.

So yes...it is a common policy. But it is an antiquated and unreasonable policy. Times change. And in 2014....EVERYONE HAS A CELLPHONE. Telling people to leave it home or in their car is just unreasonable.

Its overkill.

madwabbit

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 2, 2013
    Lafayette, LA
    there isnt anywhere that bans cell phones where having one turned off poses any threat.

if it rings or vibrates in the courtroom, charge them with contempt.

Dishonored

Hunter
    Silver Member
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Oct 27, 2012
    Prairieville
    Lets please stay on topic about cell phones at school and the current issue at hand about retrieval. Cell phones in a court room are irrelevant to the situation at hand.

madwabbit

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 2, 2013
    Lafayette, LA
    except in that if it IS confiscated in a court room, you are charged with contempt but you are given back your phone at the end of the day.

If a judge can't keep your phone, who is the principal to do so.

Dishonored

Hunter
    Silver Member
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Oct 27, 2012
    Prairieville
    Also, I appreciate all advice given for and against. I do not wish to sue the school board of my parish. I'm not after money or anything. Would just like to meet a mutual agreement on the matter that works best for both parties and isn't single sided and only supports instruction.

Emperor

Seriously Misunderstood!
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 7, 2011
    Nether region
    Also, I appreciate all advice given for and against. I do not wish to sue the school board of my parish. I'm not after money or anything. Would just like to meet a mutual agreement on the matter that works best for both parties and isn't single sided and only supports instruction.

You don't have to sue them, threatening usually does the trick!

340six

-Global Mod-
    Staff member
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Apr 12, 2012
    Kenner, La
    Well for what it is, you should have gotten your phone back.
    I know some schools that take them make you go in and meet with them to get them back. And sign that you did, that way they have proof as well as a warning for next time
    My Mom was a teacher for years, she was sprayed with mace / pepper spray and stabbed in the hand arm with a pen another time.
    So I can see both sides to the deal

madwabbit

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 2, 2013
    Lafayette, LA
    Well for what it is, you should have gotten your phone back.
    I know some schools that take them make you go in and meet with them to get them back. And sign that you did, that way they have proof as well as a warning for next time
    My Mom was a teacher for years, she was sprayed with mace / pepper spray and stabbed in the hand arm with a pen another time.
    So I can see both sides to the deal

what the heck does a student having a cell phone have to do with some miscreant attacking the teacher with a weapon?

im trying to stay on topic dishonored but this ones going to get diverted. i can smell it.

340six

-Global Mod-
    Staff member
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Apr 12, 2012
    Kenner, La
    Tha fact that i can see taking things away from kids.
    If the rule is no phone and it get taken away they make you go in at a "time and date to get it back"
    That Some schools have rules for giving items back. And making sure you sign for them. Even something simple like a phone.
    For one they cost big $$ and want proof you have it back. And that way If they take it away again they can show a pattern.
    A no tolerance since that may have had things much worse happen.
    My point is that being a teachers kid for years and years they go threw plenty. I am sure that they have days that they just take all phones.

madwabbit

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 2, 2013
    Lafayette, LA
    Tha fact that i can see taking things away from kids.
    If the rule is no phone and it get taken away they make you go in at a "time and date to get it back"
    That Some schools have rules for giving items back. And making sure you sign for them. Even something simple like a phone.
    For one they cost big $$ and want proof you have it back. And that way If they take it away again they can show a pattern.
    A no tolerance since that may have had things much worse happen.
    My point is that being a teachers kid for years and years they go threw plenty. I am sure that they have days that they just take all phones.

okay, now continue onto the point of the thread which is that they are refusing to return the cell phone unless he pays a fee to the school

bayoupirate

God of Thunder
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Jul 9, 2009
    Raceland, Louisiana
    The policy was clearly set out with the consequences set forth before any infractions was made.
    No one protested because they had the "not my little angel" mentality.
    I'm unclear if any of you are educators, or have been in a classroom in the last 10 years. Unless you have, and you have had to deal with trying to wrangle 30 kids, your opinions are totally invalid. Yes, even if your the parent of that kid. The relationship is totally different.

Get back to the core of the issue. You don't have a School board policy issue, you don't have a teacher or principal issue. The issue is that the student violated the policy, and now must face the consequences. This seems to be a lot of effort to teach the child that they can violate the rules and you will support their breaking the rules. That is the lesson being taught here, make no mistake.

(This comment is not directed at this particular situation)
    It is always amazing to me that the same parents that we could never reach to talk about student behavior, attendance, overdue books, or tutoring would always show up within an hour if that students phone was taken or if they had a uniform violation. These parents were only worried about the school being wrong instead of their child.

The idea of having immediate and unrestricted access to your child at school is another fallacy.
    I hope the hundreds of people trying to contact their kids during the next school crisis can rest easy when they hear that the cell lines were not functioning due to all of the calls, and people died because the vital information needed by first responders couldn't reach 911 from the callers inside the school. ALL schools have crisis plans for every contingency. Any attempt by an outside person or group only adds more to the crisis and complicates the situation for everyone. There is nothing you can do at the school in these situations except to add chaos to the plan. I know that as a parent that is a very disturbing thought to not know if your children are involved in the situation and not be able to do anything about it, but this is the current state of the world in which we live.

It's clear that few have any real idea of what is being asked of educators in the schools today. Unless you are willing to invest some time in substituting as a teacher or spending a day shadowing a student to observe the culture of the modern school environment, you will remain ignorant of many factors.

The Fee is simple. It takes time away from the teacher, administrators, secretaries and all persons involved with having to handle this cell phone situation. Time cost $$$ so you should pay. Bring the phone to school is a privilege not a requirement.

I hope everyone walks away from the situation having learned something positive.

molonlabe

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 7, 2013
    Baton Rouge, La
    The policy was clearly set out with the consequences set forth before any infractions was made.
    No one protested because they had the "not my little angel" mentality.
    I'm unclear if any of you are educators, or have been in a classroom in the last 10 years. Unless you have, and you have had to deal with trying to wrangle 30 kids, your opinions are totally invalid. Yes, even if your the parent of that kid. The relationship is totally different.
    That's a mighty arrogant statement. Yes, it is not an easy job to be a teacher these days; however, your attempt to invalidate someone's opinion on a basis of vocation is ludicrous. You are making an assumption that no one can somehow imagine the daily difficulties teachers face and that's somehow makes anyone's input on the subject less important or without merit.

Get back to the core of the issue. You don't have a School board policy issue, you don't have a teacher or principal issue. The issue is that the student violated the policy, and now must face the consequences. This seems to be a lot of effort to teach the child that they can violate the rules and you will support their breaking the rules. That is the lesson being taught here, make no mistake.
    Wrong again. Schools have long have been taking the role of parenting the kids where such authority is often is not welcome and is fought against rather strongly. Your assumption is that none of us have a sense to bring up our children responsibly and make them decent, functioning members of the society. Having dealt with a handful failures certainly makes your view of the world rather cynical, but it is important to stay positive and see the big picture.

The issue is that the school must recognize this parent's authority and guardianship over that child, and understand that the ultimate behavior correction and disciplining must come from a parent. A notion that you can withhold someone's property without consequences is dangerous.

(This comment is not directed at this particular situation)
    It is always amazing to me that the same parents that we could never reach to talk about student behavior, attendance, overdue books, or tutoring would always show up within an hour if that students phone was taken or if they had a uniform violation. These parents were only worried about the school being wrong instead of their child.

Again. Clearly, you've dealt with a lot of situations in your career. However, are you being entirely honest in that situation making it sound that every parent behaves in that same way? For instance, I've always been strict with my children, and if they do violate the rules set in place buy their school, the punishment extends and equals to losing many privileges at home as well.

The idea of having immediate and unrestricted access to your child at school is another fallacy.
    I hope the hundreds of people trying to contact their kids during the next school crisis can rest easy when they hear that the cell lines were not functioning due to all of the calls, and people died because the vital information needed by first responders couldn't reach 911 from the callers inside the school. ALL schools have crisis plans for every contingency. Any attempt by an outside person or group only adds more to the crisis and complicates the situation for everyone. There is nothing you can do at the school in these situations except to add chaos to the plan. I know that as a parent that is a very disturbing thought to not know if your children are involved in the situation and not be able to do anything about it, but this is the current state of the world in which we live.
    Your premise while partially valid completely disregards and ignores other potentially dangerous situations that happen outside of school walls, where you have no control over children or situations they may find themselves. Your plans and contingencies fly out of the window when the bus ends up in an accident and the driver is killed or unconscious. I would want the kids to be able to dial emergency responders or hear their parent's voice for comfort.

Here is another real life example. After many fruitless complaints to the school board, the driver still occasionally drops a child off at the beginning of the neighborhood street, making the child walk five minutes to her house, instead of dropping the child off at the driveway. The driver is required to bring each child to their house. She simply does not care. Your illegal withholding of the phone combined with violation of the policy by the driver may lead to tragic situations.

It's clear that few have any real idea of what is being asked of educators in the schools today. Unless you are willing to invest some time in substituting as a teacher or spending a day shadowing a student to observe the culture of the modern school environment, you will remain ignorant of many factors.

Again, it does not help that you revert to generalizing and presuming that none of the participants of this discussion have an intellectual ability to understand the demands of your job; and to claim that their inexperience or lack of knowledge of the internal workings of a school somehow makes their opinion less important, or even wrong, is absurd.

Clearly, based on your responses, this has become more than an issue of a confiscated cell phone.

I appreciate and value the work of teachers; I know many of them, many are my friends, or even colleagues. I know what they deal with everyday day. I heard the stories, believe me. I could never do their job. Correction... I could. I choose not to. However...

Quite often these days, some teachers complain about parents not parenting these days, not being involved in children's lives, etc. indeed, many are not. However, the majority of us do. The government and schools have steadily usurped and encroached on parents authority over their children. It is a dangerous trend I will vehemently fight and oppose.

Last edited:

2011Corvette

Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    May 27, 2011
    Louisiana Swamp (BR)
    Schools

"The issue is that the student violated the policy, and now must face the consequences. This seems to be a lot of effort to teach the child that they can violate the rules and you will support their breaking the rules. That is the lesson being taught here, make no mistake."

Bottom line and I agree 100%

Dishonored

Hunter
    Silver Member
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Oct 27, 2012
    Prairieville
    "The issue is that the student violated the policy, and now must face the consequences. This seems to be a lot of effort to teach the child that they can violate the rules and you will support their breaking the rules. That is the lesson being taught here, make no mistake."

Bottom line and I agree 100%

She violated the rule, the school issued no disciplinary action other than refusing to give the phone to the parent.

The parent can teach a lesson without giving the phone back. Just because they retrieve the device doesn't mean it is going to be handed over to the kid but its their
    decision when not the school. If the parent is going out of town; the phone may be used for that duration only and then they are grounded from it again. No way to contact anyone would be available if the phone was being held by the school and once again parenting taken away from the parent.

As a kid I wasn't perfect none of you were either. I can tell you sometimes the worst punishment was the disappointment in my parents face when I did something wrong.
    There are more ways to raise a good kid than the way you raised.
    Quit taking into consideration the parenting and think about the policy itself.

Example some of you hypocrite
    may relate too.

You walk into a store that has a no guns sign but you don't care you disobey it. They catch you and take the gun from you or the cops do. They tell you that you cannot pick the gun up until the store owners says you can. Now what?
    According to some of you it's a violation and bottom line is you will obey the instructions now. HA none of you would actually do that.

Lets also not forget phones are allowed on campus but can only be used when authorized in class. Now the phone was taken while walking between classes when the bell rang. No different than say a lunch period where the phone can be used. What is the difference with walking between classes?

VeedUp

Gold Member
    Rating - 100%
    54   0   0
    Oct 15, 2007
    Destrehan, La.
    What if the school said no cell phones allowed at all, none? And I don't think the policy is trying to parent your children, I see it as what it is, a rule, and the pick up times are set so some administrator isn't looking for phones all day, not a punishment to hold your kids phone so you don't give it back. Your not comparing apples to apples with your gun analogy, I think you would be better off trying to get the days and time of pick up changed. Maybe do a M W F 11am-2pm. Might have a better chance at that, or maybe you could volunteer to be the cell phone warden at school and give the phones back to parents on your time during the off days. But I really doubt you get the policy lifted or changed. Some people have authority problems and don't like being told what they can do, but some things you can't control and those are the things we have to live with and just have some faith.

Dishonored

Hunter
    Silver Member
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Oct 27, 2012
    Prairieville
    What if the school said no cell phones allowed at all, none? And I don't think the policy is trying to parent your children, I see it as what it is, a rule, and the pick up times are set so some administrator isn't looking for phones all day, not a punishment to hold your kids phone so you don't give it back. Your not comparing apples to apples with your gun analogy, I think you would be better off trying to get the days and time of pick up changed. Maybe do a M W F 11am-2pm. Might have a better chance at that, or maybe you could volunteer to be the cell phone warden at school and give the phones back to parents on your time during the off days. But I really doubt you get the policy lifted or changed. Some people have authority problems and don't like being told what they can do, but some things you can't control and those are the things we have to live with and just have some faith.

There shouldn't be a problem with picking up cell phones ever day after school. (2:40-4:00) admin and others are always there til then. The problem they had with that is some teachers were forgetting to turn the phone in before they left. Well that is why I disagree this policy is one sided. So because the teachers couldn't deliver the phone to the office before they leave campus the entire policy was amended to accommodate them? No thanks. Like I stated earlier in the thread I had a good professional phone conversation with David Alexander and we are going to come up with a solution. One that is equal for parents and administration.

And someone noted it taking time away from the admin to look for phones. I was a student worker in the office... That task could very easily be handed over to a office worker to retrieve the devices. We didn't do much as it was. Not to mention the admins were exactly down to the grindstone working either.

molonlabe

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 7, 2013
    Baton Rouge, La
    Hypocritical bureaucrats can always fall back on blaming the policy and refuse to use common sense. Don't shame someone for not volunteering at school as if that would somehow resolve the issue of overstepping your authority. You have no idea what his situation may be or how much time they already devote to assisting others outside of their work/home/family/church duties.

Seriously though. We are all hard working, underpaid, stressed out, well-meaning people who are trying to do the right thing. No reason to fight over the matter that will undoubtedly resolve. God bless and have a wonderful weekend!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Last edited:

bayoupirate

God of Thunder
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Jul 9, 2009
    Raceland, Louisiana
    Molonlabe,
    Thanks for your responses. I did use generalizations, you are correct to call me out on that.
    Defiant kids can, and sometimes do, come from parents and homes that have done everything right.
    I've also experience some great kids come from the worst home life situations.
    The one defining factor that I have witnessed is that the kids that have a core value set to improve themselves and their situation always have at least one adult in their life that cares about them and holds them accountable.

Like almost all problems we are facing, schools have attempted to or been required to take on the role of parenting children because of the small minority of parents that take no action to do this for their own. In our PC society, it would be identify them, call them out, and provide stipulations to these few. Instead, we have to make policies, programs and rules that are enforced on all.

Again, Thanks for the comments. Although many may imagine what the school their child attends is like, there is no substitute for a first hand experience. If you have the opportunity, go by during a recess or at a time when classes are changing and see 5 minutes of the action.

I think this thread has brought to light the many complicated issues that surround the policies created with the intention of helping the school and child.

God Bless!

molonlabe

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 7, 2013
    Baton Rouge, La
    Bayoupirate, it is always a pleasure to hold a conversation with a sensible person. I don't claim to be the ultimate authority on any issue and chimed in on a subject I felt strongly about. I could clearly see your passion about the profession and the first hand experience with many of these situations. Similarly, you will me very passionate about my publicly-funded job at times, and I know I can be very biased in in some of my opinions. Human nature, I suppose. :)

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Top Bottom