ATF Announces Pistol Brace "Amnesty" Period: What It Means For You

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • AdvancedLaser

Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 15, 2021
    Covington, Louisiana
    I saw this earlier today on a FFL board. If this is in fact coming, like the bump stock, and the rules on frames and receivers, then get ahead of the curve and file your Form 1 before the system is log jammed.

When they did the only other amnesty (1968) it was for 30 days to register NFA items. I cant see how the system could process hundreds of thousands of Forms in that 30 days without crashing.

Contact Meplat Group (another sponsor on here) and get your fingerprint and photos done and they can give you guidance on the Form 1. Advanced Laser can engrave your short barrel rifles and you will be legit with no legal issues after that.

Hopefully this doesnt happen. I cant imagine the repercussions from it.

Bigchillin83

Rating - 100%
    96   0   1
    Feb 27, 2012
    Livingston
    I saw this earlier today on a FFL board. If this is in fact coming, like the bump stock, and the rules on frames and receivers, then get ahead of the curve and file your Form 1 before the system is log jammed.

When they did the only other amnesty (1968) it was for 30 days to register NFA items. I cant see how the system could process hundreds of thousands of Forms in that 30 days without crashing.

Contact Meplat Group (another sponsor on here) and get your fingerprint and photos done and they can give you guidance on the Form 1. Advanced Laser can engrave your short barrel rifles and you will be legit with no legal issues after that.

Hopefully this doesnt happen. I cant imagine the repercussions from it.
    These are not the droids your looking for ….lol

1662171550666.jpeg

MOTOR51

Rating - 100%
    72   0   0
    Dec 23, 2008
    here
    Guess it’s good the ATF has yet to get back with me in trying to remove an SBR. It’s been months and I keep getting different answers when I call them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Magdump

Don’t troll me bro!
    Rating - 100%
    163   0   0
    Dec 31, 2013
    Hammond, Louisiana
    Register my guns? Nope. I don’t need a pistol brace that bad. And nobody on God’s green earth can tell me I can’t hold a pistol any way I choose when I shoot it.
    I think and hope that eventually our congress or Supreme Court will rein in this rogue agency and all this nonsense will stop. Until then, I will not help the ATF infringe upon my rights by doing anything that even looks like admitting they’re right in any of this. Accepting this extortion is only giving them confirmation and I won’t be a part of it.
    That’s my personal dos pesos on the subject and not to be misconstrued as advice.

Last edited:

GunRelated

Rating - 100%
    41   0   0
    Feb 22, 2012
    Walker, La
    Am I the only one here that is considering that this was the plan the whole time? Rules something to be legal, allowing millions of people to purchase these items, then flip flop their ruling on legality and require those millions of people to register their weapons?
    Next thing you know, you'll have to register your "assault rifles" to keep them legally. Then maybe you'll have to register your handguns to keep them legally.
    Then, one day,.. I'm trying to think of something witty and funny to say but I just woke up and this is all so tiring.

southerncanuck

www.RangeSport.com (Use code "BayouShooter")
    Premium Member
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    62   0   0
    Dec 3, 2019
    New Orleans
    REEEEEEE I WILL NOT REGISTER MY GUNS

... but like, other than the 4473 I had to fill out and sign when I picked it up that puts a my social security number and a scan of my drivers' license next to the gun's serial number on federal paperwork that's linked to the fingerprints I submitted to the state government for my carry permit... plus or minus that form I filled out with the manufacturer with my home address so I could get the warranty...

GunRelated

Rating - 100%
    41   0   0
    Feb 22, 2012
    Walker, La
    REEEEEEE I WILL NOT REGISTER MY GUNS

... but like, other than the 4473 I had to fill out and sign when I picked it up that puts a my social security number and a scan of my drivers' license next to the gun's serial number on federal paperwork that's linked to the fingerprints I submitted to the state government for my carry permit... plus or minus that form I filled out with the manufacturer with my home address so I could get the warranty...
    It's crazy to hear takes like this. Y'all something else man.

GunRelated

Rating - 100%
    41   0   0
    Feb 22, 2012
    Walker, La
    It's one thing to voluntarily give personal information to the government, especially dealing with firearms, it is a whole other thing to be threatened with a 10 year prison sentence for not giving the government all your personal information, because they decided to make illegal something that should not even have to exist in the first place - that they knowingly allowed millions of people to legally purchase.
    You can argue that we are voluntarily giving our information every time we fill our a 4473 but, the collection and storage of that data is done so illegally and this was only recently brought to light as basically proven. Until recently, a bunch of people were probably called conspiracy nuts for saying the government was collecting that information.

"I pray for the day that everyone who claims to be for freedom to not be so content with the status quo, for this day shall mark the rise of a people who don't belittle those who show disdain for tyranny." - Johnny Appleseed, probably...
    a9bb5f2d5bc3d8d8c855c2a238c80042.jpg

Last edited:

southerncanuck

www.RangeSport.com (Use code "BayouShooter")
    Premium Member
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    62   0   0
    Dec 3, 2019
    New Orleans
    It's crazy to hear takes like this. Y'all something else man.

I mean, it’s not really a “crazy take” so much as a pretty mundane and federally mandated legal process lol

What information do you put on the 4473 to skirt the process of self-identification… fake name and SIN with a fake ID?

jtj5002

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 7, 2016
    Lacombe
    So if I'm already have NFA items so I'm on the list anyway, I'll be able to get free form 1s SBRs for all of my stripped lowers? Like 50 of them?
    Then once I'm approved, I can just put stocks on all of them because they are SBRs, and throw away the "50" braces that I totally have?

Bigchillin83

Rating - 100%
    96   0   1
    Feb 27, 2012
    Livingston
    Didn’t supreme court already stop the ATF form trying to circumvent the law? And told them that they could not do that….

Just my thoughts if the ATF could ban pistol braces they would’ve done it by now they have no benefit to waiting…. The longer the wait the more ground they lose…. With a pen stroke impact and 80+ million individuals with “” pistolWith a pen stroke impact and 80+ million individuals with “pistols” I just don’t see that being possible and I don’t see the Supreme Court allowing it

Bigchillin83

Rating - 100%
    96   0   1
    Feb 27, 2012
    Livingston
    I’m just going out on a limb here but if the Supreme Court has done favorable rulings for conceal carry rules and requirements and favorable ruling from magazine capacity in restricted states I don’t see them banning pistol braces

Bigchillin83

Rating - 100%
    96   0   1
    Feb 27, 2012
    Livingston
    Don’t get me wrong I agree text stamps should be free for SBR’s…. But you should not have to take a picture of your already illegally obtained pistol and brace and be forced to register it as an SBR or be out of compliance with the law… that my friends is communism

Bigchillin83

Rating - 100%
    96   0   1
    Feb 27, 2012
    Livingston
    So if I'm already have NFA items so I'm on the list anyway, I'll be able to get free form 1s SBRs for all of my stripped lowers? Like 50 of them?
    Then once I'm approved, I can just put stocks on all of them because they are SBRs, and throw away the "50" braces that I totally have?
    Basically and never be able to leave the state with them without a written letter of permission from them which usually takes 30 to 45 days

Bigchillin83

Rating - 100%
    96   0   1
    Feb 27, 2012
    Livingston
    I mean, it’s not really a “crazy take” so much as a pretty mundane and federally mandated legal process lol

What information do you put on the 4473 to skirt the process of self-identification… fake name and SIN with a fake ID?
    I would say at least half of the population that is involved in a pistol brace situation has braced pistols they did not go through the 4473 process

Top Bottom