Best close quarters shotgun

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • DBMJR1

Madame Mayor's Fiefdom
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jul 27, 2008
    New Orleans, La.
    I prefer the remington 870 if going with a pistol grip style stock or any of the adapters that run an pistol grip. I put the large domed Wilson combat safety button on and find that i can easily de-activate the safety when placing my find on the trigger, the safety contacts the 1st part of my trigger finger by the knuckle and I can press it off. I prefer this over the tang safety of the mossberg 500 which requires reaching over the top of the gun, which is fine with a std stock but not optimum with a pistol grip. The maverick 88 which is very similar to a 500, although it has the safety mounted near the trigger which is impossible for me to reach with the trigger hand.

Better question is what will a HD shotgun do for you that a handgun will not? A pump gun will require 2 hands to run (unless you are Linda Hamilton) and be more difficult to maneuver through your house than a handgun. Mounting a light on a shotgun is doable but not as easy as a handgun. Accurate shot placement is king, and I would stake my worthless reputation on the fact that most will shoot a handgun more accurately than a shotgun. Reloads for HD are likely not needed, but a handgun will have a greater capacity and reloads are easier (not likely to carry a backup mag for your handgun in a HD scenario so that point may be moot) than a shotgun. And do you need a powerful shotgun for HD? if you are using mini shells or reduced power loads you may find something like 45acp or even 9mm is superior for the job at hand. A 45 acp pistol with a can sure seems like a better choice for HD...
    If someone breaks into your home, why are you maneuvering around your house ? That's just poor tactics.
    There is a reason why gamers in video games hate 'campers'. It's because it's an effective strategy that is almost impossible to defeat.
    Take up a defensive position with your shotgun, which provides an additional point of contact on your body for more accurate aiming, and wait for the intruder to come around the corner.
    Then start putting holes in him big enough to put your fist in.

I am always amazed at how many people would give up a tactical advantage to go stalking an intruder. The idea is to win the gun fight. Not to be tacticool.

Magdump

Don’t troll me bro!
    Rating - 100%
    167   0   0
    Dec 31, 2013
    Hammond, Louisiana
    If someone breaks into your home, why are you maneuvering around your house ? That's just poor tactics.
    There is a reason why gamers in video games hate 'campers'. It's because it's an effective strategy that is almost impossible to defeat.
    Take up a defensive position with your shotgun, which provides an additional point of contact on your body for more accurate aiming, and wait for the intruder to come around the corner.

I am always amazed at how many people would give up a tactical advantage to go stalking an intruder. The idea is to win the gun fight. Not to be tacticool.
    This x100.

jdindadell

Not Banned!!!
    Rating - 100%
    269   0   1
    Feb 14, 2010
    Slidell

I am not the only one in the house.

If I hear a noise you can be sure that I am going to find my daughter 1st, then my wife if we happen to be in separate rooms. So I will need to be maneuvering around... I have done dry runs of moving through the house in an organized and efficient way.

Don't want to be clearing my house with a shot gun, need to open doors, go around corners, might need a free hand to do any number of things. and running a shotgun one handed is not what i would call a good idea. Practice opening doors with a shotgun, you will find it to be awkward or maybe impossible to do without exposing yourself or having said shotgun pointed in a useless direction.

Since you have not thought about these situation may I suggest you review your needs and determine if your logic is sound. I believe my logic is sound for my needs. And a shotgun does not fit any of the situations i believe I may encounter as well as a handgun would.

As a side note, I also think having a handheld light is a good idea when clearing a dark house that is occupied by family members. You cannot aim a weapon mounted light without also aiming the gun in the same location. I do not want to be pointing my gun at my family, so a standalone light in my off hand cures that. I can also use said light as a lesser force device, or hold it away from myself as a distraction, throw it away or at an intruder, etc. mainly i don't want to point a loaded weapon at my family members, so that is the main purpose.

I understand your camper concept, and im sure that would work fine for me if I was the only person in the house. However I am hardly ever home alone.

JBP55

La. CHP Instructor #409
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    340   0   0
    Apr 15, 2008
    Walker

I was taught long ago it is easy for an intruder to disarm someone with a long gun as the homeowner steps through a doorway with the barrel extended through the doorway.

Jstudz220

Rating - 100%
    27   0   0
    Oct 14, 2020
    Harvey Louisiana
    Birdshot for the win....Not the best round for permanent wound cavities though.
    It clearly says birdshot does not penetrate deep enough to reach vitals on a human. It may be enough to stop most threats but with all of the crazy designer drugs out these days I’m not sure I’d be willing to take that risk. I came across a video not long ago of a guy taking an entire magazine from a Glock 17 and he kept moving forward until finally dropping after close to a minute.

The reality of this matter is anything sufficient enough to stop a threat is going to penetrate some Sheetrock and wood. Come up with a good plan and know where your family is. If you have young children teach them to stay put until you come to them. A firearm is a must and that goes without being said I think for most here but the absolute best means of home defense/ home security is an alarm. If anyone decides to target my house I will first know when they step on my property when my cameras alert me. If they decide to enter in a window or doorway my ear piercing alarm will let the entire neighborhood know something is wrong and the cops will be in route. I would highly suggest for everyone to look into a home alarm. Just because you live in a nice area or a gated community doesn’t mean you’re immune to having someone break into your home. Criminals target all areas and no one is immune to a home invasion/ robbery.

thperez1972

ESSAYONS
    Staff member
    Gold Member
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 28, 2015
    Baton Rouge, LA
    I was taught long ago it is easy for an intruder to disarm someone with a long gun as the homeowner steps through a doorway with the barrel extended through the doorway.

Although it is easier with a long gun, the same thing can happen with a pistol if the shooter has his arms fully extended.

AdvancedLaser

Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 15, 2021
    Covington, Louisiana
    It clearly says birdshot does not penetrate deep enough to reach vitals on a human. It may be enough to stop most threats but with all of the crazy designer drugs out these days I’m not sure I’d be willing to take that risk. I came across a video not long ago of a guy taking an entire magazine from a Glock 17 and he kept moving forward until finally dropping after close to a minute.

The reality of this matter is anything sufficient enough to stop a threat is going to penetrate some Sheetrock and wood. Come up with a good plan and know where your family is. If you have young children teach them to stay put until you come to them. A firearm is a must and that goes without being said I think for most here but the absolute best means of home defense/ home security is an alarm. If anyone decides to target my house I will first know when they step on my property when my cameras alert me. If they decide to enter in a window or doorway my ear piercing alarm will let the entire neighborhood know something is wrong and the cops will be in route. I would highly suggest for everyone to look into a home alarm. Just because you live in a nice area or a gated community doesn’t mean you’re immune to having someone break into your home. Criminals target all areas and no one is immune to a home invasion/ robbery.
    Agree. The whole shotgun home defense thing is a fallacy at this point. I rate it along the lines of giving a female only a revolver. Its just 1970's thought process, outdated and replaced. Why even contemplate a manual loading broomstick when a suppressed 300Blk is easier to move, shoot, completely quiet for followups, and the chance of someone remaining standing with a .30 cal hole in their chest is unlikely. A shotgun is for breaching, and turkeys. Thats it. I am sure this will ruffle feathers, (pun intended) but its accurate.

thperez1972

ESSAYONS
    Staff member
    Gold Member
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 28, 2015
    Baton Rouge, LA

If I hear a noise you can be sure that I am going to find my daughter 1st, then my wife if we happen to be in separate rooms. So I will need to be maneuvering around... I have done dry runs of moving through the house in an organized and efficient way.

Don't want to be clearing my house with a shot gun, need to open doors, go around corners, might need a free hand to do any number of things. and running a shotgun one handed is not what i would call a good idea. Practice opening doors with a shotgun, you will find it to be awkward or maybe impossible to do without exposing yourself or having said shotgun pointed in a useless direction.

Since you have not thought about these situation may I suggest you review your needs and determine if your logic is sound. I believe my logic is sound for my needs. And a shotgun does not fit any of the situations i believe I may encounter as well as a handgun would.

As a side note, I also think having a handheld light is a good idea when clearing a dark house that is occupied by family members. You cannot aim a weapon mounted light without also aiming the gun in the same location. I do not want to be pointing my gun at my family, so a standalone light in my off hand cures that. I can also use said light as a lesser force device, or hold it away from myself as a distraction, throw it away or at an intruder, etc. mainly i don't want to point a loaded weapon at my family members, so that is the main purpose.

I understand your camper concept, and im sure that would work fine for me if I was the only person in the house. However I am hardly ever home alone.

With kids in other rooms, movement is necessary for me as well so I understand where you're coming from. With respect to a WML, the area lit up is wide enough to ID someone without the weapon pointed at that someone. One potential issue with a standalone light is added time to address a threat. If you use the light in a area away from where your weapon is pointed and you ID a threat, your weapon is now pointed in the wrong direction. Instead of shining the light (standalone or WML) straight out, angle it toward the baseboards or the top of the walls. That can keep your weapon pointed in the general vacinity of the area of interest without having to point a weapon at your family. And if the thing is identified as a threat, the weapon is pointed in the general area of that threat and it will be easier to address it.

JBP55

La. CHP Instructor #409
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    340   0   0
    Apr 15, 2008
    Walker
    Last edited:

JBP55

La. CHP Instructor #409
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    340   0   0
    Apr 15, 2008
    Walker

Magdump

Don’t troll me bro!
    Rating - 100%
    167   0   0
    Dec 31, 2013
    Hammond, Louisiana

You got it on the last paragraph. What works for you. I can’t bash anyone for the plan they have in their home or the gun they choose. Yours may work just fine for you and theirs may get them through the event just as skippy. I’m more comfortable with a shotgun as my primary in most instances. I also have a ready firearm in nearly every room of my home. Not everyone does or can do that. I think some folks take it the wrong way when someone voices their preference. Saying what I prefer doesn’t mean I’m disagreeing with another’s home defense plan.
    Another caveat: Without even thinking about it, most everyone who ever talks about these scenarios is approaching the subject from the point of being awakened and having to get out of bed to stop a threat. They just go straight to that scenario. It’s not always that scenario though, is it.
    I believe that if you have a moment to take a position between your family and the bad guy and making that your hide, you’re much better off than skulking through your house pie’ing corners. In that scenario you’re moving and you attract attention. A camper will always have the drop on an intruder. That’s my personal preference that I’m invested in and won’t rush to stray from. Laying in wait in the dark with my gun trained on the direction that the intruder is coming from. I have zero concern for any accusations or a DA charging me for what someone may call ambushing an intruder. I do not feel the need to give them any warning and give away any advantage I may have. First one with shots on target is usually the winner.

Magdump

Don’t troll me bro!
    Rating - 100%
    167   0   0
    Dec 31, 2013
    Hammond, Louisiana
    It clearly says birdshot does not penetrate deep enough to reach vitals on a human.
    I liked your post and agree with your points. I just wanted to address the “bird shot” statement from a real world view from my own eyes. If you want to know for sure, take your 18.5” barrel, cylinder bore shotty and load it with 6 shot. Go pattern the gun at short ranges, gradually increasing the distance until you achieve about a 6 inch group with a 12ga standard load. You can consider that the range that you are adequately reaching and damaging vital organs with a chest or head shot.

Jstudz220

Rating - 100%
    27   0   0
    Oct 14, 2020
    Harvey Louisiana
    Agree. The whole shotgun home defense thing is a fallacy at this point. I rate it along the lines of giving a female only a revolver. Its just 1970's thought process, outdated and replaced. Why even contemplate a manual loading broomstick when a suppressed 300Blk is easier to move, shoot, completely quiet for followups, and the chance of someone remaining standing with a .30 cal hole in their chest is unlikely. A shotgun is for breaching, and turkeys. Thats it. I am sure this will ruffle feathers, (pun intended) but its accurate.
    I agree with a lot of what you said but I still wouldn’t say a shotgun is a bad option for home defense. It all comes down to what someone is comfortable with and what they know how to operate. You know most guys here don’t actually shoot the guns they own and in their minds believe if something happens they’ll handle it like John Wick. Let’s take an avid duck hunter for example. Not someone who’s a gun guy just some hill bully who likes to duck hunt and does so every chance he gets. I would say for that individual if they aren’t going to put in any effort to train and learn their weapon a shotgun wouldn’t be a bad option at all because that’s what they are familiar with and already know how to operate it under pressure. I have family members that would fit that scenario. Hand them a shotgun or a hunting rifle and they can show you how to operate it and tell you everything about it. Hand them an AR and the look at it for a couple seconds and ask where the bolt or cocking lever is at.

SVT Bansheeman

No more laughing dog
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jan 24, 2011
    Lockport, LA
    Speaking of patterning a shotgun, I was bored one day. I measured the distance in my house for the two furthest shots in case of a home break in. Then I went pattern my 14" shotty just to see the spread: Three shots. Left to right. 35.6', 28.7', 35.6'. For me I would basically have a low capacity and hard to use "rifle".

I will not use a shotgun willingly for home defense for reasons I mentioned but I pattern my shotguns for other activities.

Attachments

• received_1205758400100951.jpeg
      received_1205758400100951.jpeg
      387.1 KB · Views: 6

John_

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Nov 23, 2013
    Hammond, LA
    See, my problem there is I'm not leaving my suppressed 300 Blk SBR AR out of my safe 24/7. Maybe I'm paranoid but just too much $ invested (and 2 stamps) to take a chance on a break in, when I'm away. And that rig is still 115/120 db, not completely quiet by any stretch. Most of the noise is from the ejection port. It has an adjustable GB and a J&P Silent spring setup, shooting really nasty expanding subs. Sure its way quieter than a 9mm pistol blast. I just cannot leave it out 24/7. Back to my 40 pistol under my pillow and I feel well protected with it.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Bree
    Top Bottom