Came across this "What Is the Best Weapon for Home Defense?"

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Golden Dragon

Stay Alert.... Stay Alive
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    171   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Mandeville
    Educational Zone #143 - What Is the Best Weapon for Home Defense? - A Serious Discussion
    0diggsdigg

This subject comes up every so often on AR15.com, and it almost always results in a lot of “opinions” and sometimes some arguments.

Some folks might say, “Well, I like my pistol and that’s what I’m going to use.”

That is fine with me. I believe anyone should be able to use whatever they want for home defense. But they ought to make that decision based upon facts, and not “feelings”, and know the advantages and disadvantages of their decision.

The FACTS are not really in question. “Opinions” are nice, but “Facts” are what really matter.

Let’s consider the three main options.

Pistols

Many folks use a pistol for home defense. They can certainly be effective, and are a lot better for home defense than a spoon.

They, like other systems, have advantages and disadvantages. Let’s look at both.

Advantages:

1. Pistols are “convenient”. They are small, and easy to carry on your person. They can be concealed in public, but that isn’t as big of a factor for home defense.

2. It may be easier to move or manipulate a child while holding a pistol, as compared to holding a long-gun.

Disadvantages:

1. They are much less effective as Stoppers than a rifle or a shotgun. This is not something to “argue” about. It is simply a FACT.

Pistols “can” and often will Stop a bad guy, but they are less effective than a rifle or a shotgun.

2. Pistols are harder to aim and hit the target with than other systems. Practice can improve your accuracy, but they cannot be operated as accurately as a shoulder-fired weapon.

Novice shooters will have a harder time shooting a pistol accurately than a shoulder-fired weapon

3. Pistols are easier to take away from the shooter than a rifle or a shotgun. Many people falsely believe this is not true, but if you ever get some professional training, you will find that this is a simple fact.

4. Pistols will penetrate several walls, sometimes even more than a rifle or shotgun. Again, many people falsely believe this is not true, but it is a fact. See Shooting Through Walls

Any round that will penetrate enough to effectively Stop a bad guy, will penetrate several walls.

Shotguns

Advantages:

1. A shotgun loaded with buckshot, preferably #1 buckshot, or 00 buckshot, is a very effective Stopper. As Clint Smith notes, “A shotgun at close range will remove meat and bone.”

2. Shotguns can be bought for less money than many other systems. Many folks cannot afford a $900 carbine, but a perfectly adequate pump shotgun can be found for less than $200. While not the biggest issue, this can be important for many people.

3. At inside-the-home-distances, the spread of buckshot from a shotgun is relatively dense, that is, the patterns can be fairly tight, only a few inches wide. See Buckshot Patterns

Some folks mistakenly think this is a bad thing, but we do not want wide patterns with a shotgun, as we are responsible for every projectile that does not hit the target. We want tight patterns.

Federal Flight Control Buckshot is the “best of the best” for this application, as it will usually shoot the tightest patterns out of any shotgun.

4. Intimidation – Let’s be honest, the large bore of a shotgun is intimidating to some bad guys. As an ex-police officer, I can tell you that people that are not afraid of having a pistol pointed at them will often feel much differently about a big bore shotgun.

5. The shotgun is a shoulder-fired system and this gives the shooter a great advantage in accuracy.

Disadvantages:

1. With the wrong ammo (birdshot), a shotgun can be a very poor stopper. See Shotgun Ammo FAQs

2. Shotguns tend to have heavy recoil. This slows down follow-up shots. Follow-up shots can be very important, especially if there is more than one opponent.

3. Shotguns are slow to reload. The more you have to manipulate your system (reloading, etc.), the less ready you are to use it.

(Magazine loaded shotguns like the Saiga are faster to reload, but still have the recoil problem.)

4. Precision – Some folks mistakenly think that precision is not a “shotgun word”, but that is not always true. Shotguns can be fairly precise, but not as precise as a carbine. See Precision Shooting with Buckshot.

5. Pump shotguns (especially) can be easily jammed by a nervous shooter, and a “short stroke jam” is very difficult to fix.

Carbines/Rifles

When speaking of a carbine/rifle, we will primarily be speaking of a system such as an AR-15 carbine in .223. Other rifle/carbine systems will have slightly different advantages and disadvantages.

Advantages:

1. The carbine is a very powerful weapon system. A carbine loaded with the best .223 ammunition is an excellent fight Stopper. They are much more powerful and effective than any normal handgun. Rifles are rifles and pistols are pistols. Don’t forget that.

2. A carbine is a shoulder-fired system, meaning that it is much easier to make accurate hits with than a pistol. It will also usually have much better sights than most shotguns.

3. A magazine fed carbine is much easier and faster to reload than a shotgun. And with a 30 round magazine, it will have less manipulation than a handgun or a shotgun, as you will not need to manipulate it as often.

Disadvantages:

1. Cost – A carbine can be expensive, and not all folks can afford to buy one. That is not the “fault” of the system, but it is a consideration.

Let’s discuss some Myths about home defense.

1. Myth - I don’t want to use a long gun, because they can easily be taken away from you by the bad guy.

Fact – With proper training, a long gun is actually harder to take away from a shooter than a handgun.

“They say you can’t use a rifle or shotgun indoors because a bad guy will grab the barrel. Yeah? Well, he better hang on, ‘cause I’m gonna light him up and it’ll definitely be an "E" ticket ride."- Clint Smith

Get some professional training.

2. Myth - Long guns are too loud and I might hurt my hearing.

Fact – Any firearm will be “loud” inside a home. But the actual decibels of noise are very close with all three systems. And if someone is trying to kill you or your family, hearing loss will be way down on the list of important things to worry about.

Suppressors are also a realistic possibility to reduce noise.

3. Myth - All I need is one shot, so reloading is not important.

Fact – You do not know how many shots will be needed, so you had better prepare for the worse scenario. Bad guys do not always stand facing you with their arms to their sides and let you shoot them in the 5X zone. They just might be running and hiding behind things, and even shooting back at you. You may need follow-up shots and need them quickly.

4. Myth - You should use the firearm you are most comfortable with.

Fact – This myth is often repeated, but is wrong. If the system you are “most comfortable with” is a .22 Short revolver, then you need to “get comfortable” with a better system.

Using a poor system that has a record of being poor at Stopping bad guys is not the best idea. Get something that is effective and practice until you are comfortable.

5. Myth - I do not need a light.

Fact – Half of every 24 hours is dark. Your house lights may be out or even turned out by the bad guy. You must identify your target, so a weapon light is essential. For more, see Low Light Essentials

6. Myth - I cannot use a carbine, as it will penetrate more walls than a pistol.

Fact – Many types of pistol ammo will actually penetrate more walls than a carbine or a shotgun loaded with buckshot.

But, most importantly, any round from any system that will Stop a bad guy, will penetrate several walls. See Rifles, Shotguns, and Walls

Conclusions:

Here’s the bottom line: Rifles > Shotguns > Pistols.

Do as you please, but that’s just the facts.

xobelkcat

tacklebox
    Rating - 100%
    69   0   0
    Jul 6, 2007
    Slidell, Louisiana
    My vote for best home defense weapon is a Taurus Judge with the PDX shells! You get the freedom of movement from having a handgun and you get the stopping power of a shotgun.

Golden Dragon

Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    171   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Mandeville
    What ever gun you have is to be proficient with it and be mentally per pair.
    A 22 is better then nothing.
    There are many opportunity to attain training from top instructors right here in Louisiana.
    Find one to fit you needs and budget.
    It may seem like a lot of money, but other than going to boot camp or a police academy.
    This will be you best way to get some training.

oleheat

Professional Amateur
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    May 18, 2009
    As for rifles, how do some of you feel about the AK-74 / 5.45 x 39mm as a HD gun?

LACamper

oldbie
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jun 3, 2007
    Metairie, LA
    I wouldn't think you were any more likely to overpenetrate with 5.45x39 than with .223, which is again often less than with 9mm. Go search 'box o truth' if you don't believe me.

and a .410 in a revolver would not give you the stopping power of a shotgun. Its like .45 rat shot... I'd bet on nasty flesh wounds but no real stopping power. Better to load that cannon with .45LC hollow points.

my-rifle

I make my own guns.
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Dec 12, 2007
    Jefferson Parish
    I've noticed that many posters here on BS begin statements with "with the proper training". I don't care to spend time training with firearms beyond shooting at the range to familiarize myself with the gun. I have a job and a family, and the time spent on firearms training is less likely to return a gain than time spent with my family or working. I believe that the majority of human beings on earth feel the same way I do. Because of this, beginning a statement with "with the proper training" immediately makes your post irrelevant to the majority of people. Therefore the advantage gained by "proper training" can be ignored for most people. Not to mention that - who knows what "proper training" is? I'm sure there are as many opinions about "proper training" as there are about which gun is superior to others in home defense.

Another item the OP left out is this: Which gun is easier to use in the confines of a home with curtains in unexpected places and piles of books on tables, etc. This factor really plays into the handgun crowd as handguns are easier to maneuver with than any other firearm. Something to consider.

OneStory

Warrior in God's Army
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 5, 2010
    Wandering
    I've noticed that many posters here on BS begin statements with "with the proper training". I don't care to spend time training with firearms beyond shooting at the range to familiarize myself with the gun. I have a job and a family, and the time spent on firearms training is less likely to return a gain than time spent with my family or working. I believe that the majority of human beings on earth feel the same way I do. Because of this, beginning a statement with "with the proper training" immediately makes your post irrelevant to the majority of people. Therefore the advantage gained by "proper training" can be ignored for most people. Not to mention that - who knows what "proper training" is? I'm sure there are as many opinions about "proper training" as there are about which gun is superior to others in home defense.

Another item the OP left out is this: Which gun is easier to use in the confines of a home with curtains in unexpected places and piles of books on tables, etc. This factor really plays into the handgun crowd as handguns are easier to maneuver with than any other firearm. Something to consider.

Well said..........................with "proper training". ;-)

With "proper training" we might be like Bruce Lee! Or Tom Sotis...

You might observe that proper training is commonly defined as the exact type and amount of training the poster has. Any less and you're a novice - any more makes you a fanatic.

I know, I know - heresy on a gun forum. Let the shells fall where they may.

=-)

762NATO

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 27, 2011
    Lafayette
    Another thing to keep in mind that is worthy of mention: what is something another member of your house can run? Wives and children (more like responsible teenagers, although those are a hard find, but anyone that knows how to properly handle a gun, really) may not feel comfortable with a scattergun, or a rifle; they may not be able to handle either, due to size or recoil.

Are all of you home twenty-four and seven? NO. Period.
    Does your family know what to do in the event of an attack? Is there a safe place for the kids? Can they discern a bad situation before it happens? How many weapons, and where they are in your home, are there; does the family know? Do they know the laws on self-defense in LA (or your respective state)? Do they know what escalation of force is? Think about that.

Last edited:

Jester

I thought it was funny...
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Aug 10, 2011
    New Orleans Area
    You might observe that proper training is commonly defined as the exact type and amount of training the poster has. Any less and you're a novice - any more makes you a fanatic.

You could say that about a lot of things.
    Whether people say it or not, the perfect place/amount/attitude seems to bear an uncanny resemblance to themselves in a mirror!

Golden Dragon

Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    171   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Mandeville

With that say, most people buy a gun maybe shoot a box of ammo out of it put it up and think the are GTG.
    We had a guy come out to a 3 gun match and didn't know how to work his safety on a pistol (1911) he brought out.

"It may seem like a lot of money, but other than going to boot camp or a police academy.
    This will be you best way to get some training. "

I should add by a professional and not by bubba who saw it done on TV.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ye30b3TL5wI&feature=related

Last edited:

xobelkcat

tacklebox
    Rating - 100%
    69   0   0
    Jul 6, 2007
    Slidell, Louisiana
    I wouldn't think you were any more likely to overpenetrate with 5.45x39 than with .223, which is again often less than with 9mm. Go search 'box o truth' if you don't believe me.

and a .410 in a revolver would not give you the stopping power of a shotgun. Its like .45 rat shot... I'd bet on nasty flesh wounds but no real stopping power. Better to load that cannon with .45LC hollow points.

I can see a FMJ 9mm Penitrating better but not hollow points. (not saying its not true)

With the .410 winchester PDX shells you get 3 disc slugs and 3 buck shot. nothing campared to .45 ratshot! That I think would be better than most 45lc.

This is just my opinion.

SpeedRacer

Rating - 100%
    92   0   0
    Feb 23, 2007
    Mandeville, LA

Well stated, but I literally couldn't disagree more.

Back to the OP, it's a good write-up though obviously bias. Imagine that, an AR15 forum declares a carbine is the best choice. I love how their only "Con" for the carbine is cost. :rofl:

Not that I disagree, personally I prefer a pistol but agree a carbine is the right choice in a lot of situations. I just think the choice goes well beyond the weapon itself. Based on the layout of my house, the fact I have a 3yr old, the fact that I'm most competent with a handgun, and the fact that I feel that a free hand is a valuable commodity, I choose a pistol. Has nothing to do with stopping power, over penetration, yada yada.

Hattrick 22

Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Aug 13, 2011
    Kenner, Louisiana
    I think someone posted this before or I might have even read it somewhere else but "a hit with a .22 is better than a miss with a .45 cal/.50 cal". I am sort of on the same page with my-rifle about spending more time with family than training. That being said I would like more training but I feel sufficient enough with any of the guns I have in my home to hit someone rather they have cover or not. I spend a good bit of time at the range making sure I can hit a target now as far as scenarios and movement no haven’t trained for that and doubt I will I think with enough rounds I can account for that "lack of proper training".

just my .02

SpeedRacer

Rating - 100%
    92   0   0
    Feb 23, 2007
    Mandeville, LA
    Anyone who thinks they don't need to take a class has never taken a class. Day one, first drill you'll realize how much a) different defensive shooting is vs. static range shooting and b) realize how much you suck.

No worries though, as long as a B-27 silhoutte breaks into your house and stands still exactly 15yds away you'll have no problem protecting yourself and your family.

OneStory

Warrior in God's Army
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 5, 2010
    Wandering
    Anyone who thinks they don't need to take a class has never taken a class. Day one, first drill you'll realize how much a) different defensive shooting is vs. static range shooting and b) realize how much you suck.

No worries though, as long as a B-27 silhoutte breaks into your house and stands still exactly 15yds away you'll have no problem protecting yourself and your family.

That's why I use realistic targets. They are more likely to break in than B-27 targets. LOL

jimdana1942

oldtimer
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Aug 11, 2008
    Sulphur, La.
    Plain and simple.

A handgun in close and confined quarters and CC if out an about.

Shotgun or Rifle when outdoors, but, you got to admit, the little lady in Oklahoma that shot the intruder, proved the worth of a shotgun for home defense.

And, the pump 12 gauge is the gun of choice for defense against Grizzly bears in Alaska.

Keep it simple and stay alive.

Hattrick 22

Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Aug 13, 2011
    Kenner, Louisiana

I don't use that target (i use smaller ones because i am harder on myself), and i have also taken a class (1). I did realize how much i sucked after taken it but i did not walk away without learning anything either. Thats why i spend a lot of time at the range. I could go back and forth about training for the moment but the truth is that you hope that muscle memory kicks in whenever it happens instead of shitting yourself or panicing with that said i am not and in no way knocking anyone that trains for such matters i just perfer to spend my time with family that i know i enjoy instead of training for the "what if".

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    mmabone
    Top Bottom