Came across this "What Is the Best Weapon for Home Defense?"

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Golden Dragon

Stay Alert.... Stay Alive
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    171   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Mandeville
    With improper training, what will you come to learn?

If only trainers could truthfully name their courses "Proper Training"!

Cases in point:
    My son's Hunter Ed class. We're still laughing about that one! Dang! I'm laughing now!!! LOL
    My initial CHP class. What a JOKE! Oh man, my sides hurt! LOL

Really, it's no laughing matter to the ones that were "mis-informed".

If we'd have not known better, we would have thought we received "proper training". Who knows what the our classmates thought...and DID with the "knowledge" they acquired???
    Of course, that's my opinion. YMMV, depending on your definition of "proper training".

You are comparing apples to oranges.
    Did you get this kind of training VVV from a professional or some yahoo.
    Did you do your home work to get training from some one to fit your needs?
    Spin your money any way you like but you should LOL at at guy who give his money to the yahoo.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZTr8xvkUWp4

To have a a power tool of any kind and not know how to use it is just not safe for any one.

Last edited:

JWG223

Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Aug 16, 2011
    Shreveport
    How many people actually use assault weapon type carbines for self defense in the home? I'm talking AR/M4/AK. I know the 5.56 is a proven round with a lot of stopping power, but from a legal point I've never even considered using my AR as a home defense weapon, it stays in the safe. Is this a valid concern?

Maybe, I don't know. I am more concerned with living than winning in court. Court is later on in the sequence of events, and if I do not live past the home invasion part, the court part is of no consequence to me.

I have no problem going to an AR if something seems wrong. It is the best tool for the job.

The rifles posted aren't mine, the ATF still has me pending... but IMO a suppressed 300 blk is about as good as they come, if you know how to use it.

have you seen the new TTSX rounds for it? Absurd. I would have gone 300BLK instead of 5.56 had they made it with a hammer-forged chrome-lined barrel. Still tempting to re-barrel for it someday,maybe. It's a helluva round!

Last edited:

JWG223

Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Aug 16, 2011
    Shreveport
    I have a family too, are you implying that attending firearms training makes me a bad father? That's one of the dumbest things, and lamest excuses I've ever heard. In fact, it's BECAUSE I have a family that I've become more concerned with my ability to protect them as well as doing whatever I can to improve my odds of coming home at night.

And I understand we have vastly different perspectives, and there's no point in debating because neither of us is right or wrong, and neither is going to change our opinion. I'm okay with that, it makes the workd go 'round. But it has NOTHING to do with "being a good father" so don't even go there.

I think he meant that he had a family, and doesn't have the time/money to spend on training courses while providing for them? I can understand. My parents were strapped for time and cash. They didn't have $1000+ to go spend on anything other than bills, etc. Much less take off a week of work. That would have been impossible/irresponsible on their part. Not everyone has a job that offers time off, etc.

SpeedRacer

Rating - 100%
    92   0   0
    Feb 23, 2007
    Mandeville, LA
    I think he meant that he had a family, and doesn't have the time/money to spend on training courses while providing for them? I can understand. My parents were strapped for time and cash. They didn't have $1000+ to go spend on anything other than bills, etc. Much less take off a week of work. That would have been impossible/irresponsible on their part. Not everyone has a job that offers time off, etc.

He has about a bajillion firearms in his collection, and IIRC spends plenty of time building his own AKs. So time and money don't seem to be an issue. That's why I took it the way I did, and why I can't find any logic in his statement.

OneStory

Warrior in God's Army
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 5, 2010
    Wandering
    You are comparing apples to oranges.
    Did you get this kind of training VVV from a professional or some yahoo.
    Did you do your home work to get training from some one to fit your needs?
    Spin your money any way you like but you should LOL at at guy who give his money to the yahoo.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZTr8xvkUWp4

To have a a power tool of any kind and not know how to use it is just not safe for any one.

Lemons to bananas...

What homework? Checking the LSP's site for CHP instructors? Calling the local sheriff's dept for recommendations? Going to the state approved Hunter Ed course?

How exactly does a novice go about doing this homework? And how do you get this advice to them before their first class?

The crappy tools are right there on the shelf next to the good ones. They all say they are the best on the side of the box.

The WORST firearm instructors are out teaching a class this weekend and their students are unaware. Let's LOL at them for their ignorance?

If you know nothing about firearms, you aren't likely to do your homework properly.

There are people on this site who "poo poo" at some of the big name trainers and insinuate they aren't offering proper training.

You don't know what you don't know. I know enough to LOL at what I've experienced and, yes, I can laugh at myself for wasting my money and time...and for not knowing that my homework was done wrong. :-)

JWG223

Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Aug 16, 2011
    Shreveport
    He has about a bajillion firearms in his collection, and IIRC spends plenty of time building his own AKs. So time and money don't seem to be an issue. That's why I took it the way I did, and why I can't find any logic in his statement.

I had no background on it. In that case...???
    I agree.

Golden Dragon

Stay Alert.... Stay Alive
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    171   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Mandeville
    Lemons to bananas...

The CCW class and Hunter safety class is mandatory classifier and not what I call a training class.

What homework? Checking the LSP's site for CHP instructors? Calling the local sheriff's dept for recommendations? Going to the state approved Hunter Ed course?

How exactly does a novice go about doing this homework? And how do you get this advice to them before their first class?

Right here on Bayou Shooter would be a good place to start, there are two CCW instructors that come to mind that I would recommend.

The crappy tools are right there on the shelf next to the good ones. They all say they are the best on the side of the box.

Would you give a nail gun,chain saw,skill saw to just any one to use?

The WORST firearm instructors are out teaching a class this weekend and their students are unaware. Let's LOL at them for their ignorance?

There are classes all year round and people on here have attended some of them and can give a feed back on the class.

If you know nothing about firearms, you aren't likely to do your homework properly.

There are people on this site who "poo poo" at some of the big name trainers and insinuate they aren't offering proper training.

???? There was one that I recall and he has not been ask back.

You don't know what you don't know. I know enough to LOL at what I've experienced and, yes, I can laugh at myself for wasting my money and time...and for not knowing that my homework was done wrong. :-)

Just got back from a 3 day carbine class where the guys and one Lady send over 2000 rounds down range each.

I know it's not for every one but that is what I was saying to compare a CCW class with that is apple to steak.

I didn't mean to offend Just saying that is all:) especially to a Bruce Lee Fan!

Last edited:

Sin-ster

GM of 4 Letter Outbursts
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Just got back from a 3 day carbine class where the guys and one Lady send over 2000 rounds down range each.

I know it's not for every one but that is what I was saying to compare a CCW class with that is apple to steak.

I didn't mean to offend Just saying that is all:) especially to a Bruce Lee Fan!

Just to add-- there are 2-day courses, often a combination of an Intro and Level 1 class, that qualify as well. They typically run in the $450 range, plus ~1k of rifle ammo and 300 pistol. (In my experience, in those situations-- you WILL have a bit left over. But that depends on the competency level and the speed at which the class as a whole progresses...)

The NRA courses... Well. :mamoru: They should at least keep you from shooting yourself...

spanky

Gold Member
    Rating - 100%
    141   0   0
    Sep 12, 2006
    Gonzales, LA
    With improper training, what will you come to learn?

If only trainers could truthfully name their courses "Proper Training"!

Cases in point:
    My son's Hunter Ed class. We're still laughing about that one! Dang! I'm laughing now!!! LOL
    My initial CHP class. What a JOKE! Oh man, my sides hurt! LOL

Really, it's no laughing matter to the ones that were "mis-informed".

If we'd have not known better, we would have thought we received "proper training". Who knows what the our classmates thought...and DID with the "knowledge" they acquired???

Of course, that's my opinion. YMMV, depending on your definition of "proper training".
    Two words:

Re. Search.

#1bambam

Rating - 100%
    60   0   0
    Oct 14, 2007
    The Nasty New Orleans.
    I keep pistol and a semi-shotty close in the house.That and the 2 pit bull Security /Alarm system I have I feel safe.As bad as things are getting around here I do carry the G-19 when I take the dogs out in the back yard to **** but I think its more of a wish-factor than a fear-factor that drives me to do that.

Nomad.2nd

Rating - 100%
    66   0   1
    Dec 9, 2007
    Baton Rouge... Mostly
    How many people actually use assault weapon type carbines for self defense in the home? I'm talking AR/M4/AK. I know the 5.56 is a proven round with a lot of stopping power, but from a legal point I've never even considered using my AR as a home defense weapon, it stays in the safe. Is this a valid concern?

No legal issues.

Although I disdane the use of an AR, I use a 'semiauto military spec' carbine for my optimal choice of personal protection.

Worked well for entering homes in Iraq.
    Will work here.

my-rifle

I make my own guns.
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Dec 12, 2007
    Jefferson Parish
    I have a family too, are you implying that attending firearms training makes me a bad father? That's one of the dumbest things, and lamest excuses I've ever heard. In fact, it's BECAUSE I have a family that I've become more concerned with my ability to protect them as well as doing whatever I can to improve my odds of coming home at night.

And I understand we have vastly different perspectives, and there's no point in debating because neither of us is right or wrong, and neither is going to change our opinion. I'm okay with that, it makes the workd go 'round. But it has NOTHING to do with "being a good father" so don't even go there.

Exactly. I feel that since the chance of me needing tactical training is more remote than needing meteor insurance, my time is better spent with my family being a father rather than taking tactical training courses that are never going to be of use. I mean lets face it: they're fun, and that's why you take them. Now you're just trying to rationalize it to yourself.

SpeedRacer

Rating - 100%
    92   0   0
    Feb 23, 2007
    Mandeville, LA
    Exactly. I feel that since the chance of me needing tactical training is more remote than needing meteor insurance, my time is better spent with my family being a father rather than taking tactical training courses that are never going to be of use. I mean lets face it: they're fun, and that's why you take them. Now you're just trying to rationalize it to yourself.

I really don't want to think you're stupid enough to actually write that, so from this point I'll just assume you're trolling.

BTW, here's some other relevant things you've written...

my-rifle said:
    I had to evacuate last week, and had to decide what to keep handy as evacuation guns. After much thought I settled for a Polish Tantal with about 500 rounds of ammo in six magazines and an ammo can. I decided that the advantages of ruggedness and superior penetration as well as longer range capability combined with the lighter weight of the rounds meant I could carry more ammo with better accuracy and penetration. Of my AK74s the Tantal really was best.

my-rifle said:
    Carrying a weapon requires frequent and systematic training in order to be able to use it correctly in times of need.

Glad we agree...

jmcrawf1

Rating - 100%
    70   0   0
    Jan 20, 2008
    Madisonville
    I really don't want to think you're stupid enough to actually write that, so from this point I'll just assume you're trolling.

BTW, here's some other relevant things you've written...

Glad we agree...

This is the same guy that wrote very smugly that he hasn't carried a gun while in N.O. in his 40~ yrs and makes it out alive. To think what a paranoid redneck I am carrying a gun into the murder capital of the country.

Now training is just something silly we do because, let's face it (:rolleyes:) it's something fun to do.

I stole this off another website...

The Phases of Surrender
    The first phase of surrender is failing to be armed, trained and committed to fight. We are prepared to surrender when we are unprepared to resist.

The second phase of surrender is failing to be alert. You must see trouble coming in order to have time to respond. The warning may be less than one second but it will be there and it must be recognized and acted upon immediately.

The Third phase of surrender is giving up your weapons.

The last phase of surrender is up to the monsters who have taken control of your life and perhaps the lives of your loved ones. The last phase of surrender is out of your hands.

Nomad.2nd

Rating - 100%
    66   0   1
    Dec 9, 2007
    Baton Rouge... Mostly
    Ya'll need to understand something about my-rifle:

He's that odd liberal who hates himself. (By that I mean one who likes guns.)
    This causes him to be very illogical.

Just accept it and move on.

OneStory

Warrior in God's Army
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 5, 2010
    Wandering
    I keep pistol and a semi-shotty close in the house.That and the 2 pit bull Security /Alarm system I have I feel safe.As bad as things are getting around here I do carry the G-19 when I take the dogs out in the back yard to **** but I think its more of a wish-factor than a fear-factor that drives me to do that.

"wish factor"? I hear ya! ;-)

JWG223

Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Aug 16, 2011
    Shreveport
    can I presume than that you do not own anything but fmj range type ammo, etc?

Top Bottom