Can A Non-FFL Individual Legally Sell A Handgun To Someone Under 21?

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • derf

Privateer
    Rating - 100%
    71   0   0
    Oct 11, 2008
    BR, LA
    I say no.
    This is from the NRAILA site:
    Ineligible Persons

The following classes of people are ineligible to possess, receive, ship, or transport firearms or ammunition:

* Those convicted of crimes punishable by imprisonment for over one year, except state misdemeanors punishable by two years or less.
    * Fugitives from justice.
    * Unlawful users of certain depressant, narcotic, or stimulant drugs.
    * Those adjudicated as mental defectives or incompetents or those committed to any mental institution.
    * Illegal aliens.
    * Citizens who have renounced their citizenship.
    * Those persons dishonorably discharged from the Armed Forces.
    * Persons less than 18 years of age for the purchase of a shotgun or rifle.
    * Persons less than 21 years of age for the purchase of a firearm that is other than a shotgun or rifle.
    * Persons subject to a court order that restrains such persons from harassing, stalking, or threatening an intimate partner.
    * Persons convicted in any court of a misdemeanor crime of domestic violence.

But, a seller is not required to ask for age or proof of age. So, unless you know the buyer to be under 21 you are not breaking the law. The law says you can't legally sell to someone that you know can't legally buy.

Last edited:

rockmup

Please be my friend
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   0
    Apr 21, 2007
    City of Central
    So do I.
    And some tool went and got his Lawyer to call me demanding to know why I wouldn't sell his client one. Then proceeded to explain to me there was nothing stopping him from buying it and giving it to the kid. until I told the dumb ass that I now knew it would be a straw buy as defined by Fed. law so I wouldn't sell it to him either. Friggin tool

derf

Privateer
    Rating - 100%
    71   0   0
    Oct 11, 2008
    BR, LA
    WOW if thats true then i know 4 people on here who broke federal law by selling me a handgun.

Not unless they were aware of the law and aware that you were under 21. They aren't required to ask or check. As long as they don't have reason to believe you can't buy the gun, they're OK.

You, on the other hand, may have just admitted to 4 counts. You knew how old you were. And if you knew that a FFL could not sell to you.

It also depends on "interpretation" sometimes, too. If the judge is anti gun.................

Born4spd

Gold Member
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Feb 23, 2007
    Baton Rouge and Killian/Springfield
    Not unless they were aware of the law and aware that you were under 21. They aren't required to ask or check. As long as they don't have reason to believe you can't buy the gun, they're OK.

You, on the other hand, may have just admitted to 4 counts. You knew how old you were. And if you knew that a FFL could not sell to you.

It also depends on "interpretation" sometimes, too. If the judge is anti gun.................

Umm no i havent because its perfectly legal in a private sale.

Use the search function.

derf

Privateer
    Rating - 100%
    71   0   0
    Oct 11, 2008
    BR, LA
    Parents can buy guns and give them to their children. Children, even under 18 can have guns if they are used for specific purposes, competition, on the ranch, etc.

I got my first pistol at 14. My second turned out to be stolen so I didn't get to keep it. My third was a 1911 at 17.

Born4spd

Gold Member
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Feb 23, 2007
    Baton Rouge and Killian/Springfield
    Parents can buy guns and give them to their children. Children, even under 18 can have guns if they are used for specific purposes, competition, on the ranch, etc.

I got my first pistol at 14. My second turned out to be stolen so I didn't get to keep it. My third was a 1911 at 17.

ok?

What the hell does that have to do with this topic?
    We are talking about at what age you can legally purchase a handgun.

and the answer is 18 private sale, and 21 FFL.

/thread.

And i dont care if the damn judge is having a bad day.

Where is nolacop when you need him.....

Last edited:

derf

Privateer
    Rating - 100%
    71   0   0
    Oct 11, 2008
    BR, LA
    Umm no i havent because its perfectly legal in a private sale.

Use the search function.

I'm not having luck with the search. Why don't you give me some direction.
    Something on the ATF site or a letter from the ATF would be good.
    I think a person old enough to go fight for the US should be able to vote and own all sorts of guns. But, the way the law reads to me I don't think I can sell a handgun to someone under 21.

flamatrix99

Rating - 100%
    62   0   0
    Oct 7, 2008
    Zachary, La
    oooooooooooooooooohhhhhhhhhhhhhh Born4spd is going to jail... Here come the black helicopters....

[YOUTUBE]Gz3Cc7wlfkI[/YOUTUBE]

Last edited:

rockmup

Please be my friend
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   0
    Apr 21, 2007
    City of Central
    ok?

/thread.

So post some proof for those of us not as enlightened as you and obviously search challenged.

derf

Privateer
    Rating - 100%
    71   0   0
    Oct 11, 2008
    BR, LA
    ok?

/thread.

Where is nolacop when you need him.....

My point was that someone under 21 can possess a handgun if their parent gives it to them.

There is a difference between possession and purchase.

JBP55

La. CHP Instructor #409
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    340   0   0
    Apr 15, 2008
    Walker
    Suppose someone knew someone less than 21 who may have purchased a handgun from a large stocking dealer. I wonder if something like that could happen and if so how? Are there any exceptions to this rule? If there are no possible exceptions to -21 purchasing a handgun what should the -21 person do if he was allowed to do so?

derf

Privateer
    Rating - 100%
    71   0   0
    Oct 11, 2008
    BR, LA
    Suppose someone knew someone less than 21 who may have purchased a handgun from a large stocking dealer. I wonder if something like that could happen and if so how? Are there any exceptions to this rule? If there are no possible exceptions to -21 purchasing a handgun what should the -21 person do if he was allowed to do so?

Dealer should have checked ID and DOB. That person should turn himself in and rat out the dealer. Or, keep quiet and wait. If the dealers books get audited...........

Speedlace

LOL...right?
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 23, 2007
    From the Brady Campaign about Louisiana:

JUVENILE SALE
    Is it illegal to sell handguns to anyone under 21 years of age? No

State law does not restrict selling handguns to juveniles under the age of 21 by unlicensed sellers. Under federal law, only federally licensed dealers are prohibited from selling or delivering handguns or ammunition for handguns to any person under the age of 21. A strong state law is needed to stop unlicensed persons from selling handguns to those under the age of 21.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    jrsumrow
    Top Bottom