cas match

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • spanky

Gold Member
    Rating - 100%
    141   0   0
    Sep 12, 2006
    Gonzales, LA
    i was a little bummed at my percentage. 46% is still good, i suppose

but then again second u-production to blake isn't a bad thing right? :rofl:

i didn't get to see him shoot yesterday but i watched some of his vids on youtube and :eek4:

Barney88PDC

SEND IT
    Rating - 100%
    34   0   0
    Jul 16, 2008
    Somewhere over the rainbow
    Really nice. Gun ran fine no hiccups. But Operator error killed me on 2 stages. On the 35 yarder I was so focused on the front sight and squeezing the trigger I put the first 3 rounds in the first target @$%#! That was bad enough but on the last stage I had to do a reshoot. I had made a walk through before the first time running the course and made a mental note to pop the 2 target on the left behind the wall before shooting the Texas Star. Well I was like 3rd to last shooter the weather was coming in and I was trying to quickly reload my mags (course malfunction on the swing was the cause of the reshoot).

So anyway Joe the RO asked if I was ready and instead of doing a quick run through I just got set and totally blew it by not shooting those 2 targets 2 the left. The second time around. I had shot them on run 1.

SO that was 4 misses for 40pts and 2 failure to engages which I was told were 10 points each so the totaled negative 60 but those shots were so damn close if I had shot them I can say that would have been 4 alphas so I would have recieved 20 points so we are looking at a 80 point swing.

I did a really good job this match of slowing down and my Pts show that. I looked at the scores last night and a few stages I had the best point in the hit category and was right up there on the stages I did not have the most points. They just got me on time. So now I just need to start working on speed a little. My accuracy I felt really good about. And of course quit screwing up on missing targets and giving up easy points. That stage along w/ shooting an extra shot at the 35 yard target cost me, and if my math were correct a 80 point swing on the last stage and 25 point swing on the 35 yd stage (10 for extra shot on the target and 10 for the procedure error of shooting it plus the 5 that were avaliable IF I would have hit the A zone, I know that is a big if on that staget but I did ok on the targets). If I would have had those EASY points I think I would have placed about 11th in Limited. Maybe someone more familar w/ the point system could correct me if I am wrong.

PS: If that were so I think I would have given scooter a run for his money?

Last edited:

spanky

Gold Member
    Rating - 100%
    141   0   0
    Sep 12, 2006
    Gonzales, LA
    Really nice. Gun ran fine no hiccups. But Operator error killed me on 2 stages. On the 35 yarder I was so focused on the front sight and squeezing the trigger I put the first 3 rounds in the first target @$%#! That was bad enough but on the last stage I had to do a reshoot. I had made a walk through before the first time running the course and made a mental note to pop the 2 target on the left behind the wall before shooting the Texas Star. Well I was like 3rd to last shooter the weather was coming in and I was trying to quickly reload my mags (course malfunction on the swing was the cause of the reshoot).

So anyway Joe the RO asked if I was ready and instead of doing a quick run through I just got set and totally blew it by not shooting those 2 targets 2 the left. The second time around. I had shot them on run 1.

SO that was 4 misses for 40pts and 2 failure to engages which I was told were 10 points each so the totaled negative 60 but those shots were so damn close if I had shot them I can say that would have been 4 alphas so I would have recieved 20 points so we are looking at a 80 point swing.

I did a really good job this match of slowing down and my Pts show that. I looked at the scores last night and a few stages I had the best point in the hit category and was right up there on the stages I did not have the most points. They just got me on time. So now I just need to start working on speed a little. My accuracy I felt really good about. And of course quit screwing up on missing targets and giving up easy points. That stage along w/ shooting an extra shot at the 35 yard target cost me, and if my math were correct a 80 point swing on the last stage and 25 point swing on the 35 yd stage (10 for extra shot on the target and 10 for the procedure error of shooting it plus the 5 that were avaliable IF I would have hit the A zone, I know that is a big if on that staget but I did ok on the targets). If I would have had those EASY points I think I would have placed about 11th in Limited. Maybe someone more familar w/ the point system could correct me if I am wrong.

nice :cool:

toddrod

Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Feb 14, 2007
    Vacherie, LA
    Bannon - Stay focused on shooting the points for awhile. It is fun trying to shoot as fast as you can, but when you are not shooting the points it will get you down. The speed will come with more experience. I have been recommending to new shooters to start in production because you are forced to shoot for points because even a C hit will really hurt you, so you have to focus more.

Ed - What happened on your last stage. It looks like you were hanging in there until that stage. Did you forget some targets?

BayouSlide

See ya at the range
    Rating - 100%
    80   0   0
    Dec 5, 2008
    On the Bayou Teche, La.
    And remember: perfect matches are few and far between. What you'll find is that if you make fewer mistakes than the other guys, you'll end up higher in the final standings, even if they are equally talented.

I know shooters who end up beating other guys nearly every time out because they are consistent and always end up at second or third on every stage, while the other guy wins stages and then blows stages.

Consistency is the hallmark of a great shooter, IMO.

Then you have the dang curve-breakers like Blake who shoot in a realm all their own :bowdown:

BayouSlide

See ya at the range
    Rating - 100%
    80   0   0
    Dec 5, 2008
    On the Bayou Teche, La.
    Ed - What happened on your last stage. It looks like you were hanging in there until that stage. Did you forget some targets?

I was scoring him on that run and trying to send out psychic messages to "turn around, buddy, turn to the left." Then, as always happens, when the RO says, "IF you are done..." with the subtle emphasis on the "if", you know you need to take a last look around.

Barbara Thibodaux missed the same targets on the next run, the two just before the star. She had hit them during her first run, which also was aborted due to the swinger not being reset properly.

On my run, I was so focused on my reload, I shot those targets, then ran to the next shooting position...something is missing here, I thought, this is toooo easy...then I remembered the star and went back and engaged :hs:

Last edited:

spanky

Gold Member
    Rating - 100%
    141   0   0
    Sep 12, 2006
    Gonzales, LA
    BayouSlide, who are you?

You SOB need to introduce yourself. :rofl:

It's easier for you than me since I don't want to be that jackass staring at a blank look when I ask someone "are you on BayouShooter?" :rofl:

BayouSlide

See ya at the range
    Rating - 100%
    80   0   0
    Dec 5, 2008
    On the Bayou Teche, La.
    BayouSlide, who are you?

You SOB need to introduce yourself. :rofl:

It's easier for you than me since I don't want to be that jackass staring at a blank look when I ask someone "are you on BayouShooter?" :rofl:

Since you bested me by .56 points in the Production results, I prefer to remain incognito :chuckles:

We'll hook up the next time for a more formal introduction ;)

Nice shootin' on the CAS Standards stage, BTW... :thumbsup:

scooterj

Stupid is 'posed to hurt
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 14, 2008
    LaPlace

That 35 yarder ate my lunch and think I was given a "mike" I didn't deserveon another stage. :eek3:

Bannon - Stay focused on shooting the points for awhile. It is fun trying to shoot as fast as you can, but when you are not shooting the points it will get you down. The speed will come with more experience. I have been recommending to new shooters to start in production because you are forced to shoot for points because even a C hit will really hurt you, so you have to focus more.

Like Todd said go for the points and let the sights dictate how fast you "squeeze" the trigger. You need to see the sights on the target for each shot, not just the first of two.
    You'll get better pretty quick. You have a fire in you that I haven't seen in quite a while. Take any advice Blake wants to give or you can drag out of him. Ask him or his dad who you can and can't listen to. ;)

If yo want, I can sign up with a new username and rag you a little more. :mamoru: On second thought, I didn't like the look that woman gave me:D

FrankJr

Tazer,Mace,then Miranda
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Oct 12, 2007
    Zachary, La
    Hmmm. Okay; still won't tax your abilities.

What gun are you using?

Using a 586, Hurst already grabbed the model 19, but the old 586 is treating me well. I shot it today on my lunch break and have gotten pretty solid at shooting in the 270's. Still got a few tweaks to make though.

Top Bottom