Coffee

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Peterpaul227

Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Oct 5, 2019
    Northshore
    I been using a grosche 6 cup Moka pot for a few years now and prefer community dark roast bold . I feel the moka pot has gotten me the strongest brew and easier to clean than a French press it also fits perfect on a small pocket sized hiking stove and quicker . It tasted best when ground finer than drip grind but not as fine as espresso grind . I ordered t some of the OPs recommendation brand last night along w a new 9 cup pot .( moka pot cup sizes are espresso cup sizes , 6 cup espresso = not quite a tea cup )

T-Rigger

T-Rigger
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Apr 25, 2019
    Metairie, LA
    I take my coffee the way I take my chow ; if I don't make it , I don't consume it ; never been in coffee house , don't see no reason too ; besides , they don't make coffee strong e-nuff ; black coffee is 'sposed to be BLA
    AGREED!
    I never order coffee at breakfast venues in NOLA area chickory-infused abominations. I order Barq's on ice. There are some high quality coffee/chickory custom blends I've had at top end restaurants - after dinner - no clue what it is. I used to carry Sanka packs to add to the diluted dishwater most breakfast hosts offer - (their rendition of pure black coffee) that most folks dump milk & sweetener into. Can't handle it anymore- I prefer Ovaltine.
    Like an old dude friend and I agree,"... it don't take near as much water to make good coffee as most folks think ...".

AustinBR

Make your own luck
    Staff member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Oct 22, 2012
    I love my coffee. I very recently watched a "How they do that" segment on coffee and everything @AustinBR writes here on coffee is spot on. Grind your own beans, brew immediately. Oxygen is the mortal enemy of ground beans. Airtight container for coffee storage is a must. On that show they said (Italian coffee manufacturer) ground coffee loses key components and flavor in < 8 hours. They pack their coffee for shipment using nitrogen as an inert gas environment. No oxygen!
    I guess while I'm on my coffee train, I'd be remiss if I didn't mention gently misting the beans with water before grinding them. It helps reduce static electricity so you don't get (as much) of a mess all over your counters.

We have white kitchen counters so it's a must!

I've never spent a dime in a Starbucks anywhere. They line up in their vehicles to buy here in Hammond. There is a new place on Hwy 90 "Seven Brew". Judging from the drive up lines in the morning they will make millions selling coffee, some times 15-20 vehicles in multiple service lines. I visit PJ's Coffee sometimes. Local folks, great coffee and service.
    These folks are just getting their daily start with 100g of sugar. If you go to Starbucks for a milkshake, it'll be good. If you go for coffee, it'll suck.

As much as I hate on Starbucks, I absolutely will be getting multiple pumpkin spice lattes whenever the weather cools down. Screw them for putting a million and one chemicals together that taste like pumpkin, but damn are they good!

John, im from Washington state lived in a medium sized city on the east side of the state. No exaggeration when i tell you there are starbucks littering the streets you would astounded at how many starbucks, Dutch brothers, Roasters, and every other local coffee house can be supported by 150k people.
    Have you been by a "Starbucks Reserve" location? If you have one near you, you should go check it out at the minimum.

bought directly from the Island , no middle men .
    Link?

Don't patronize StarF..ks either - their dark roast like what I think burnt pine needles would taste like. Visited Amazon and saw several Kenyan D.R.'s. - which one have you experienced to be roast to order? Could not make a selection. Thanks for your input.
    I'll give you feedback, but not the exact feedback you asked for, because sometimes that's how I roll!

Go snag a bag of this bali medium roast. It's roasted closer to dark than medium (for the batch that I got) and I think you'll find it has a lot richer of a flavor than the dark roast that you're used to drinking. Give it a shot for a few days and see what you think.

If you're absolutely set on dark, try this one.
    My aunt would boil coffee in a pot and strain out the grounds. Hurt your teeth to drink it. Lol
    That's generally called Cowboy Coffee! It's good, just usually is over-extracted. Not my cup of tea, but it's not terrible.

hotbiggun

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 25, 2023
    Louisiana
    Austin, never been to a Starbucks reserve and i now live in the beautiful town of Kaplan La. But if i ever make it back i will check it out. I have been to the Red Hook brewery in Seattle and had their very odd beer coffee.

AustinBR

Make your own luck
    Staff member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Oct 22, 2012
    Austin, never been to a Starbucks reserve and i now live in the beautiful town of Kaplan La. But if i ever make it back i will check it out. I have been to the Red Hook brewery in Seattle and had their very odd beer coffee.
    I've only been to one in NYC and it's a cool experience. Giant building with really high end roasting equipment. They make the "craft cocktails" of coffee. On my last trip I had a $20 smoked coffee which was actually really good...despite the stupid price.

T-Rigger

T-Rigger
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Apr 25, 2019
    Metairie, LA
    I guess while I'm on my coffee train, I'd be remiss if I didn't mention gently misting the beans with water before grinding them. It helps reduce static electricity so you don't get (as much) of a mess all over your counters.

We have white kitchen counters so it's a must!

These folks are just getting their daily start with 100g of sugar. If you go to Starbucks for a milkshake, it'll be good. If you go for coffee, it'll suck.

As much as I hate on Starbucks, I absolutely will be getting multiple pumpkin spice lattes whenever the weather cools down. Screw them for putting a million and one chemicals together that taste like pumpkin, but damn are they good!

Have you been by a "Starbucks Reserve" location? If you have one near you, you should go check it out at the minimum.

Link?

I'll give you feedback, but not the exact feedback you asked for, because sometimes that's how I roll!

Go snag a bag of this bali medium roast. It's roasted closer to dark than medium (for the batch that I got) and I think you'll find it has a lot richer of a flavor than the dark roast that you're used to drinking. Give it a shot for a few days and see what you think.

If you're absolutely set on dark, try this one.

That's generally called Cowboy Coffee! It's good, just usually is over-extracted. Not my cup of tea, but it's not terrible.
    Thanks for lead on FRC and tip on misting beans before grinding. Per your suggestion, I ordered 12 oz bags of Bali Medium, Kenya Dark & FRC Dark Decaf. My wife can't take caffeine & I can't stand the weak tasteless decaf she uses. I look forward to being able to add bold flavored ( I hope) decaf coffee back into my chili and sawmill/sausage gravy & biscuits. I'll let you know of my experiences. Again - many thanks to my new Coffee Sensei.

AustinBR

Make your own luck
    Staff member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Oct 22, 2012
    Thanks for lead on FRC and tip on misting beans before grinding. Per your suggestion, I ordered 12 oz bags of Bali Medium, Kenya Dark & FRC Dark Decaf. My wife can't take caffeine & I can't stand the weak tasteless decaf she uses. I look forward to being able to add bold flavored ( I hope) decaf coffee back into my chili and sawmill/sausage gravy & biscuits. I'll let you know of my experiences. Again - many thanks to my new Coffee Sensei.
    Let me know how you like it!

Bolt Head

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 12, 2023
    Alexandria
    I've been drinking Amazing Coffee and Waker's Happy Coffee lately. Enjoying getting other nutrients. I mix mine in milk. Mixes into cold milk just fine. Yes, it's an instant coffee.

2A Travel

PM for Cruises, Vacations, Disney and More!
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 6, 2024
    I've been drinking Amazing Coffee and Waker's Happy Coffee lately. Enjoying getting other nutrients. I mix mine in milk. Mixes into cold milk just fine. Yes, it's an instant coffee.
    Ewwww, Instant Coffee!

But in other news, have you tried mixing instant coffee with chocolate milk?

thperez1972

ESSAYONS
    Staff member
    Gold Member
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 28, 2015
    Baton Rouge, LA
    I get this stuff at Rouse's. Mix it with a little creamer and milk and it makes a great cold coffee. It's cold brew so it lacks the bitterness released when coffee is heated.

cb_mocha_1l_photo_2048x.jpg

AustinBR

Make your own luck
    Staff member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Oct 22, 2012
    Did it ever come in?

T-Rigger

T-Rigger
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Apr 25, 2019
    Metairie, LA
    Did it ever come in?
    Receive yesterday late, brewed the Bali this am, great taste, just not strong enough with my usual grind and amount. Adjusted to a a finer grind and used (2.5) 2TBS scoops of ground to oz filtered water. Outstanding! I'll try the other 2 and report over the weekend.
    Thanks, Sensei!

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Barnettmickey
    Top Bottom