Constitutional Carry in Louisiana?

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Whitebread

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Aug 3, 2015
    near by
    If the legislature passes it through and sends it to his desk, this would be one of those vetoes that haunts him when it comes time for re-election.

I'm not getting my hopes up too much, but I'd be lying if I said I wasn't hopeful.

I have to agree signing it would do him no real harm. Most of the Libs in Louisiana either wont remember in four years or dont care now. But the squishy middle that voted for him wont forget if he vetos it.

Emperor

Seriously Misunderstood!
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 7, 2011
    Nether region
    If the legislature passes it through and sends it to his desk, this would be one of those vetoes that haunts him when it comes time for re-election.

I'm not getting my hopes up too much, but I'd be lying if I said I wasn't hopeful.

I doubt very seriously he gets re-elected regardless. There is no way to fix the budget crisis without raising taxes; and reducing spending and the size of government is not in an Obama democrats DNA.

The only public servant that Louisiana has ever had that actually is TOTALLY committed to serving the public interest and not his own; Treasurer John Kennedy, has said this is going to get ugly!

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 30, 2015
    LA

Ivey has introduced 2 bills regarding constitutional carry. If HB4, passes the legislature, it will bypass the governor's desk and be voted on by Louisiana residents during the upcoming November election. HB4 is a constitutional amendment. If HB6 passes in the legislature, it would have to approved by the governor. This would be a new statute. I'm hoping HB4 passes. I think it would be better to add an amendment to our state constitution rather than passing another law.

Last edited:

JadeRaven

Oh Snap
    Rating - 100%
    60   0   0
    Sep 13, 2006
    Metairie
    Ivey has introduced 2 bills regarding constitutional carry. If HB4, passes the legislature, it will bypass the governor's desk and be voted on by Louisiana residents during the upcoming November election. HB4 is a constitutional amendment. If HB6 passes in the legislature, it would have to approved by the governor. This would be a new statute. I'm hoping HB4 passes. I think it would be better to add an amendment to our state constitution rather than passing another law.

Nice, thanks for pointing that out.

There's a slim 2/3 republican majority in the senate, but would we get enough votes in the house?

Getting this in the constitution would be fantastic.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 30, 2015
    LA
    Nice, thanks for pointing that out.

There's a slim 2/3 republican majority in the senate, but would we get enough votes in the house?

Getting this in the constitution would be fantastic.

If I'm not mistaken, all that is needed for it to pass is a majority vote. The House is 58% Republican, 40% Democrat & 2% Independent. The bill must first be reviewed by the Committee of Administration of Criminal Justice before it can be heard in the House. Hopefully the Committee approves it. If so, I think it stands a good chance of passing.

Kennyo1

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 25, 2012
    As currently stands, someone that has committed a felony/10 years past can have their LA firearms rights restored but due to the inability to get a CCP they would NOT be able to have their federal firearms rights restored, as discussed in multiple threads here. I'm just wondering if constitutional carry might fix this? Keep up the conversation - lots of good points here.
    If they cannot get their federal rights to own a firearm back why do they get the right to vote back?

bigtattoo79

Rating - 100%
    94   0   0
    Sep 12, 2009
    LA
    That would be good for anyone whose had their gun rights restored after 10 yrs under LRS 14.95.1(c) or had a UPIN only to have it revoked years later by the feds citing the Caron vs US 1998.So in a nutshell some people dont realize they cannot even possess the firearms that you have according to federal law.Get with your local representatives and tell them to fix this by removing LARS 40:1379.3 (c)(10) or support constitutional carry . This is the Louisiana law LARS 40:1379.3 (c)(10) that the fed is using to restrict previously legal gun owners .This would fix the problem and fall inline with Buddy Caldwells recent opinion on 14.95.1(c), i realize its off topic but constitutional carry would nullify this injustice towards 10's if not 100's of thousands of people in the state.

I don't think constitutional carry would help those folks.

Whitebread

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Aug 3, 2015
    near by
    I will parrot what someone here told me to do last week. The people who need to know your opinion don't come on this site. Email your state rep. Maybe just maybe we can make this thing happen.

gunz4me

Target Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Sep 14, 2006
    Lafayette
    I'm for Constitutional Carry IF some sort of training is required. At a very minimum, I'd like the people carrying to know the various laws and at least, have some degree of firearm safety as to not pose a danger to themselves or others.

With that stated, if they do implement Constitutional Carry, I hope they keep the permits for reciprocity. While I haven't been traveling as much as I used to, I'd really hate to lose reciprocity with other states.

Whitebread

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Aug 3, 2015
    near by
    I'm for Constitutional Carry IF some sort of training is required. At a very minimum, I'd like the people carrying to know the various laws and at least, have some degree of firearm safety as to not pose a danger to themselves or others.

With that stated, if they do implement Constitutional Carry, I hope they keep the permits for reciprocity. While I haven't been traveling as much as I used to, I'd really hate to lose reciprocity with other states.

But that wouldn't be "Constitutional Carry". That would be "Carry any way you wish just take a safety course first". And that would be a step in the right direction too but that is still an infringement, regardless of how intellegent an idea it may be.

If they made gun safety a high school requirement you may have something.

Fred_G

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 5, 2013
    West Monroe

Hmm, so, do we require classes before people can speak? Would be nice to have some of the media be required to tell the truth! Seems the 2A is the only right that we have to have permission from the gubment to buy something (background check) and spend money for classes and all kinds of fees to get the CHL. I am for country wide Constitutional Carry, but don't see that happening. Look at the opposition to having to show an ID to vote, the libs go crazy about a 'poll tax'. But, gun owners are used to jumping through all kinds of hoops to do something that "shall not be infringed"...

Don't get me wrong, I think anyone that is carrying a gun should seek out training. But I am not sure about gubment approved anything being worth a damn.

gunz4me

Target Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Sep 14, 2006
    Lafayette
    But that wouldn't be "Constitutional Carry". That would be "Carry any way you wish just take a safety course first". And that would be a step in the right direction too but that is still an infringement, regardless of how intellegent an idea it may be.

If they made gun safety a high school requirement you may have something.

It's rather unfortunate, but I was almost shot by someone showing an "unloaded" gun to someone else. That is why I am such a big advocate of training for anyone carrying a gun. I won't even get into the things that I witnessed at Sherburne on the pistol range over the years.

oleheat

Professional Amateur
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    May 18, 2009
    The Second Amendment should not REQUIRE training. It guarantees a right- not a privilege. To me, that will always outweigh the what-ifs of the reciprocity issue.

The "bubbas" are not an issue to me. "Those aren't the droids you're looking for." :dogkeke:

DAVE_M

_________
    Rating - 100%
    32   0   0
    Apr 17, 2009
    ________
    To me, that will always outweigh the what-ifs of the reciprocity issue.

Well, we can get into semantics... but I like protecting myself and my family, so I have a Louisiana CHP.

If Louisiana becomes a Constitutional Carry state, that's great! However, I'll do what I have to do, to ensure the safety of myself and my family when traveling.

Whitebread

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Aug 3, 2015
    near by
    It's rather unfortunate, but I was almost shot by someone showing an "unloaded" gun to someone else. That is why I am such a big advocate of training for anyone carrying a gun. I won't even get into the things that I witnessed at Sherburne on the pistol range over the years.

While I absolutly agree that if you have a gun you should have been tought basic safety at a minimum. That said I know some folks who were tought basic safety as well as good shooting skills who will hand you a loaded gun safety off and wont even stop to mention it. Safety of any type can't just be tought and expect a guaranteed result. My recent personal experience: me and my brother in law were getting some trigger time in and we swaped guns I handed him one safety on he handed me one safety off. He was tought like me "every gun you see is loaded" period! So he doesnt mind guns without safeties and apparently doesn't always use the safety on guns that have them. I was tought from the first BB gun I shot the safety goes off just before you engage a target and goes right back on after. If I was some mouth breather who likes to finger the trigger of loaded guns I could have ND'ed. My point is being tought good habits AND PRACTICING THEM is the only way you can prevent ND's. Notice my language I didnt say accident. I said Neglegent Discharge.

Last edited:

Emperor

Seriously Misunderstood!
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 7, 2011
    Nether region

Yes! That is unfortunate. But what you are hoping for is not how a "Constitutional Right" is supposed to work. The America haters are doing exactly what you are inferring! They are intentionally blurring the lines and the definition between a "Right" and a "Privilege!" When you hear someone (anyone), equating the rules of registering an automobile, and/or passing a driving test to get a DL to the "Constitutional Right" to bear arms, your ears should bleed and you should shudder with horror.

That's how these idiots are weakening the impact and intrinsic value of "Rights" in this country. And they doing it on purpose! These douchebags are picking and choosing which "Rights" they like and which ones they don't.

Bottom line is, anyone that does that, should be pushed back on with such steadfastness that it hurts. It is not unreasonable to staunchly defend the Constitution and the Bill of Rights with excessive zeal!

Whitebread

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Aug 3, 2015
    near by
    That's how these idiots are weakening the impact and intrinsic value of "Rights" in this country. And they doing it on purpose! These douchebags are picking and choosing which "Rights" they like and which ones they don't.

And who gets that right and who does not. You have the right to your religion but only if you are not christian. You can say whatever you want just so long as you dont offend some minority group or say something like "hey you clowns why dont we refer to the constitution for guidence". You can have unlawful and often violent assembly so long as you use it to claim racism or say capitalism is evil. But good God dont you dare hold a rally for the constitution. You will end up on a "watch list".

Emperor

Seriously Misunderstood!
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 7, 2011
    Nether region
    And who gets that right and who does not. You have the right to your religion but only if you are not christian. You can say whatever you want just so long as you dont offend some minority group or say something like "hey you clowns why dont we refer to the constitution for guidence". You can have unlawful and often violent assembly so long as you use it to claim racism or say capitalism is evil. But good God dont you dare hold a rally for the constitution. You will end up on a "watch list".

It is working because the America haters can easily stir up a mob mentality from the sheep they herd! I suppose it is because the sheep aren't as intelligent as those that understand and believe in "True" liberties and freedoms. Being an idiot in America is a self fulfilling prophecy of arrogant, uncaring selfishness. Idiots are most likely to cause harm to those institutions that are good.

The problem then becomes an ideological feeding frenzy on traditional values. Picture an overpopulated aquarium of gold fish that swarm to the site of the sprinkles of fish food. Throw in that the aquarium has a broken filter system (the governing body to keep things in order). The aquarium is the US! The gold fish are the mindless idiots that only swim (live amongst the traditional Americans), eat (taking whatever is given to them), and defecate in their own environment (destroy everything they touch). The fish food represents the institutions the AH's want them to tear down.

Those passers by? That watch through the glass? That's the traditionalists! They just watch as this cycle of garbage continues on, day after day! Each subsequent day, the water turns more and more impure and less hospitable for the gold fish. Then after the water is so rancid that gold fish began dying off, the traditionalist are then compelled (taxed), to help try to clean up the tank.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    kjstang02
    Top Bottom