Does anyone know how SSI works?

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • 762NATO

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 27, 2011
    Lafayette
    I am 18 receiving my SSI in my mother's bank account (they judged me too irresponsible to receive my money in my account). How do I get it in my name, or even contact my case worker. My mother is reliable in giving me my amount, but takes most of the check usually, saying she needs more to pay the bills. She truly seems to need it, and helping out I do not mind at all, but take issue with the ever-fluxuating amount. How do I manage this myself? She takes more and more each month, and then asks for the paltry sum in total or else I'm the devil. How does the system work? I need help, and ask you guys please assist me. I have no idea where to start, or how this works, or what to do. Any help is most graciously appreciated.

Thanks y'all.

Last edited:

JBP55

La. CHP Instructor #409
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    340   0   0
    Apr 15, 2008
    Walker
    You are legally an adult at 18. Call SS and ask them what is necessary to have it deposited in your account.

762NATO

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 27, 2011
    Lafayette
    On the street, thats known as a "Crazy check". At 18 you should be able to call and get your own stuff.

The question is will I have a home, but you're right. I have not contacted them out of fear that mom will leave me out in the cold, alienate me, turn the family against me ( they automatically side with her, even when she's wrong- I don't want to loose them), but I guess I need to man up and call.

Why's it called a crazy check?

Last edited:

CEHollier

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Dec 29, 2007
    Prairieville
    I'll tell you how SSI works. I pay into it . The government gives my money to people that put nothing into it. When it's time for me to draw it they government won't give me a dime. I personally think the money would be better spent training people to jobs that can be adapted to their impairment. It is way too easy to get on SSI in my opinion.

Last edited:

mike45

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 31, 2009
    LaPlace
    My question is are you self reliant enough? Do you pay for all of your own food, clothes, and other bills?
    I was in the same situation along time ago and asked my mother for "my SSI check". After all it was in my name.
    She said sure, and then I could pay for everything for me on my own. After thinking about it, and adding up the figures, I never asked again.
    That money is to help care for you, if you get it I'm sure you will still expect her to provide a rood over your head and meals while you go and spend
    your extra money.
    But I don't know you I'm sure you would be completely unreliant after you started getting that money.

Leadfoot

Low Speed High Drag
    Rating - 100%
    104   0   0
    Mar 4, 2009
    Livingston Parish
    Damn. All of these people getting SSI. No wonder it's going broke.

Kind of a shitty response.

There ARE people out there who genuinely NEED the help they receive in the form of SSI/SSD.

There are a lot more who exploit the system and have no real disability other than the fact that they've been coddled all of their lives.

Don't lump the two in the same boat, which is clearly what your comment did. I actually just lost a little respect for you.

CEHollier

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Dec 29, 2007
    Prairieville
    Kind of a shitty response.

There ARE people out there who genuinely NEED the help they receive in the form of SSI/SSD.

There are a lot more who exploit the system and have no real disability other than the fact that they've been coddled all of their lives.

Don't lump the two in the same boat, which is clearly what your comment did. I actually just lost a little respect for you.

Sir - I am in healthcare and see a lot of abuse. If my response is "shitty" it's because of my personal experience with the system. We all have physical conditions of one type or another that make us less than perfect. Jobs can be adapted to people. SSI has gone far beyond helping the truly disabled. My wife's cousin was on SSI because of epilepsy. The man could work but chose to get high and ride around in his pickup all day instead. When it comes time for me to draw I will be "means" tested. The current system is going broke and is unsustainable so my taxes will probably go up. So yes. My attitude is "shitty" and will get "shittier" as the abuse grows.

BTW - If those posters are truly disabled they are not who I am talking about. There fore the comment was not directed toward them.

Last edited:

Leadfoot

Low Speed High Drag
    Rating - 100%
    104   0   0
    Mar 4, 2009
    Livingston Parish
    My argument is not that the system isn't broken, we all know it is. But the OP asked a question, related some information about himself, and you come out with a total bashfest about the system, and basically accused ANYONE, legitimately or not, who is on SSI as a freeloader.

I know there are people out there who may have a condition that qualifies them for SSI/SSD that feel like the world owes them something. I have nothing but disdain for these people. But the problem isn't totally the system, it's these people and their attitude. The system was designed to help those who really need help, not to be some sort of source of permanent income for those too lazy to care for their own wellbeing.

Could you live on $600 a month? I know I couldn't, unless it was in a cardboard box under an interstate overpass somewhere.

My story is that I am eligible RIGHT NOW to never have to work another day in my life. I could just say f' it, let society take care of me. I am 39 years old and have held a full time job for most of my adult life, yet even before I was 18, I was eligible to never have to work. But you see, that's not who I AM.

But there are times, when the few dollars that SSI & SSD provided helped me make it when I couldn't work. Don't cast your wide judgment on everyone who is on this system as being like that ******* who happens to be related to you by marriage.

Don't make those who are depending on the help they receive feel guilty about it, cause I promise, MOST of those on it, wish they weren't in a position where they needed to be.

Last edited:

Leadfoot

Low Speed High Drag
    Rating - 100%
    104   0   0
    Mar 4, 2009
    Livingston Parish
    Now, let me address the following message to the OP.

I do not know the extent of your physical impairment, and it's really not important, because it's obvious that you at least have the ability to sit at a computer and make rational statements.

At 18, you may feel like that check is owed you. I promise you, it isn't. Do WHATEVER you CAN, with whatever ability you DO possess to not EVER have to depend on ANYONE for financial support. Life is hard. Life is harder for people with a physical disability, but its no excuse for laziness. Take only the help you absolutely NEED for only as long as you absolutely MUST have it.

CEHollier

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Dec 29, 2007
    Prairieville
    My story is that I am eligible RIGHT NOW to never have to work another day in my life. I could just say f' it, let society take care of me. I am 39 years old and have held a full time job for most of my adult life, yet even before I was 18, I was eligible to never have to work. But you see, that's not who I AM.

Thank you for proving my point. You say you are eligible for SSI and would never have to work. Yet you work and can work. My point is many people who CAN work are getting checks because they CHOSE NOT to work. I would say most on disability COULD work but because they are ELIGIBLE the CHOSE NOT to work. This is what is wrong with the system as you eloquently demonstrated.

You sound like a man of intergity. This country could use a few more like you. Merry Christmas

Last edited:

edman87k5

Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Oct 22, 2007
    Ventress, LA
    My mother was on ssi, and yes she needed it. SHe got a whopping $320 a month!
    Having said that, I still think 75% of the people on it are scamming. I do NOT think it is right that I pay into a system and am told every year that I cannot under any circumstances get back anywhere near what I paid in if I work almost until my death, yet on the same piece of paper, it tells me that if I become disabled now, I cane get more than if I work another 4 years!!!! WTF??
    Since I figure the system will be abolished before I am able to use it, I see it as theft from me!

Neil09

Rating - 93.8%
    15   1   0
    Nov 29, 2009
    church point, la
    I received one because my father was disabled and passed away. Nothing to do with a being crazy in some cases. If you can see she needs it and just isn't pissing it away, don't burn your bridges with mom. Is it that worth it for a check until you turn 19? (Well mine was just until I was 19)

SpeedRacer

Rating - 100%
    92   0   0
    Feb 23, 2007
    Mandeville, LA
    IMO if you live at home, let your mom keep it. Sounds like she pays the bills, probably feeds you and does all your laundry, etc. The check probably barely covers what it costs to house you anyway.

deafdave3

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Apr 26, 2010
    I'll tell you how SSI works. I pay into it . The government gives my money to people that put nothing into it. When it's time for me to draw it they government won't give me a dime. I personally think the money would be better spent training people to jobs that can be adapted to their impairment. It is way too easy to get on SSI in my opinion.

Good Lord, are you serious??? You think I can just walk out there and get "job training"? I would be living under a bridge if it wasn't for SS. Now, granted its only $700/month, but I live in a house that was inherited, and the car that was given to me was about to be thrown away. The point is, I have to live within my means, no matter how far below poverty that is. I have tried long and hard to get good work, including high paying sales jobs with large companies. Eventually, it just becomes obvious that the employer doesn't want to deal with someone with my limitation. I eventually accepted it, got used to it, and lived around it, including with SS. So, trust me... its a lot easier for someone to say, "the should be trained to adapt to their limitation" than it is to actually do it.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    jrsumrow
    Top Bottom