Does anyone know how SSI works?

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • JNieman

Dush
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 11, 2011
    Lafayette
    BTW - If those posters are truly disabled they are not who I am talking about. There fore the comment was not directed toward them.
    The tactful thing to do would be to reserve your personal ranting for another day, or another place, instead of injecting it into the thread of a kid who appears to have a legitimate claim.

Just tact and common decency. I understand your bitterness. It's also pretty shitty to throw it in someones face when they may not deserve it. Kind of like how I don't **** on every gun seller because I had a bad experience at Academy.

Leadfoot

Low Speed High Drag
    Rating - 100%
    104   0   0
    Mar 4, 2009
    Livingston Parish
    Dave,

I understand CE's statement struck a sour tone with you, as it did me. But I'm satisfied that he didn't intend any harm to anyone here.

I know alot of people find it very easy to say well you should do this and you should do that, but if they were in the same position, I'm sure they'd sing a different tune.

Now I'm going to say this, and it isn't a slight against you in the least, it's just to prove a point that NOTHING can stop someone who is determined.

I know a guy who is one of the best heavy equipment operators ever to sit in the cab of an excavator, makes BIG money, and from the time he was born, has never heard a peep. But like me, he wasn't satisfied with just getting by or just accepting it.

Never settle for less.

deafdave3

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Apr 26, 2010
    Dave,

I understand CE's statement struck a sour tone with you, as it did me. But I'm satisfied that he didn't intend any harm to anyone here.

I know alot of people find it very easy to say well you should do this and you should do that, but if they were in the same position, I'm sure they'd sing a different tune.

Now I'm going to say this, and it isn't a slight against you in the least, it's just to prove a point that NOTHING can stop someone who is determined.

I know a guy who is one of the best heavy equipment operators ever to sit in the cab of an excavator, makes BIG money, and from the time he was born, has never heard a peep. But like me, he wasn't satisfied with just getting by or just accepting it.

Never settle for less.

I understand that, and I agree. However, that's his talent. That's his gift. However, I have a Masters in Health and Wellness Promotion. Ever since I could read, I was was obsessed with the human body and the effects of medicine. So what should I do? "TEACH!" Most people say. Yeah, any time I applied for a position fitting my qualifications, I show up with an interpreter, then they would later tell me the position has been filled. I just got so frustrated and sick and tired of it. I've adapted to life to what I CAN afford and now I am debt free and happy.

I just took my life into my own hands, is all. I truely am happy with the way life has turned out in the last six months. Sometimes I actually wonder if this was God's will.

Last edited:

Leadfoot

Low Speed High Drag
    Rating - 100%
    104   0   0
    Mar 4, 2009
    Livingston Parish
    Whenever I heard the statement "We were all put here for a reason.", I always thought what a line of BS that is. What could possibly be the point to pain and suffering?

But recently, I've come to the realization that indeed, we all do have a purpose, even if we don't know what that purpose is. It could be that our suffering may be what it takes to teach others about whats really important and what TRUE happiness means.

Best wishes and Merry Christmas to all.

deafdave3

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Apr 26, 2010
    Whenever I heard the statement "We were all put here for a reason.", I always thought what a line of BS that is. What could possibly be the point to pain and suffering?

But recently, I've come to the realization that indeed, we all do have a purpose, even if we don't know what that purpose is. It could be that our suffering may be what it takes to teach others about whats really important and what TRUE happiness means.

Best wishes and Merry Christmas to all.

Beautifully worded and Merry Christmas to you and yours.

CEHollier

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Dec 29, 2007
    Prairieville
    Guys - My point is social security is growing bankrupt. There are elderly people who cannot work due to their health. They put into SS their whole working life and will be hit the hardest should it fail. What I am saying is just because someone is eligible for SSI doesn't mean they should get it. Many people who are eligable are able to work. And if they can work they should so there will be money for those who really can't. It is a touchy subject but a real problem that will soon be insolvent. Then those that can work will but what about those who truly can't?

deafdave3

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Apr 26, 2010
    By the way, just for the record... I don't sit around doing nothing all day long collecting gov't assistance, nor am I implying that anyone implied that. I do a bit of volunteer work, mostly involving foster children.

JNieman

Dush
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 11, 2011
    Lafayette
    Guys - My point is social security is growing bankrupt. There are elderly people who cannot work due to their health. They put into SS their whole working life and will be hit the hardest should it fail. What I am saying is just because someone is eligible for SSI doesn't mean they should get it. Many people who are eligable are able to work. And if they can work they should so there will be money for those who really can't. It is a touchy subject but a real problem that will soon be insolvent. Then those that can work will but what about those who truly can't?
    How's that apply to the OP's situation in getting what is his, instead of his mom commandeering it in his stead?

MOTOR51

Rating - 100%
    72   0   0
    Dec 23, 2008
    here
    If the OP lived on his own and his mother was keeping his check then without a doubt he should get it. If he lives with her then I would say she deserves at least some of it to assist with taking care of him. I get child support for my daughter but do not give her the whole check every month.

JNieman

Dush
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 11, 2011
    Lafayette
    If the OP lived on his own and his mother was keeping his check then without a doubt he should get it. If he lives with her then I would say she deserves at least some of it to assist with taking care of him. I get child support for my daughter but do not give her the whole check every month.
    OP is >18 and should start deciding what to do with his money himself. Yes, his mom should get rent, but to take it before he even has the chance to give it to her is stealing.

Or taxation. :P

MOTOR51

Rating - 100%
    72   0   0
    Dec 23, 2008
    here
    That's what I was referring to. I'm sure he is getting a good deal by getting a roof over his head and meals,etc. if he is looking to move out the mother should have no problem giving him his check.

MOTOR51

Rating - 100%
    72   0   0
    Dec 23, 2008
    here
    As far as the child support goes, I'm not giving my daughter money to blow. That money goes towards helping pay for clothing, etc., I can tell you I am not coming out ahead on the deal by any means.

Vigilante Sniper

Guns are my crack!!
    Rating - 100%
    47   0   0
    Jan 28, 2009
    LaPlace
    I can give you two examples good and bad.
    I have a son that is Autistic, his mother and I were divorced. She kidnapped him when he was 3, I didn't find him until he was 13. He started recieving SSI off of my income but he lived with his mother in California, she was spending his money on drugs and I had to go to social security and change everything so she had no access to his money. He is married now and he and his wife are both on SSI and live by themselves on their two $700 checks and he does ok.
    The second instance is with my two kids from my second marriage. When my wife died my kids were young. I got a check for them each month from Social Security Survivor benifits. I asked about the money and what I was supposed to do because you had to account for it. They said I was to use the money to raise my kids and buy their nessecities. Since I had a good job, I put their checks in a savings account in their names at the credit union, and when they turned 18, gave it to them to do with what they needed. They used it for education and a vehicle.

Last edited:

dwr461

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 23, 2009
    Baton Rouge
    Someone who was born with a disability and had it all their lives should know that they're going to have problems in the work place and make allowances for it while growing up. i.e. If you were born with a condition that keeps you in a wheelchair you should have said, "Hey I got to make in the world and get job. What's out there that I can do?"

As the system is we're enabling people to say, "I'm disabled. I can get stuff. I don't have to work."

If we want to give people charity than lets put that back into the hands of charities and their own family. As it is others have decided that I have to give alms to whomever "they" deem worthy. Leave me my money. I'll decide whom to help. I may even be able to help disabled people in my own family rather than let the government decide who I help and how much help I give.

Now please don't read this and say that we should put the handicap under a bus. I'm saying that we as Americans are a good enough people to take care of our own without the government handling it. Will people fall through the cracks in that system? Yes. But people fall through the cracks now. A large amount (the majority) of our money that should be going to help with SSI goes to help bureaucrats.

Dave

Russo

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jun 9, 2008
    Raceland,LA
    to answer the OPs question.. if you can take care of yourself and don't need my money, i would certainly encourage you to get off the entitlement check and become an example to your family.. the family initially will be upset, but they will get over it in due time..

Top Bottom