Don't talk to the police

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • OneStory

Warrior in God's Army
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 5, 2010
    Wandering
    Please enlighten us to all your police dealings. I think we may all benefit as LE is a little different in each locale.

Okay, I'll do it because I think that you might appreciate the time it will take out of my life to do it. Some won't and it will **** me off that I spent hours preparing for it, only to be ridiculed because my pitiful stories won't include instances where I may have been charged with murder.

Fore-warned is fore-armed.

OneStory

Warrior in God's Army
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 5, 2010
    Wandering
    Okay, I'll do it because I think that you might appreciate the time it will take out of my life to do it. Some won't and it will **** me off that I spent hours preparing for it, only to be ridiculed because my pitiful stories won't include instances where I may have been charged with murder.

Fore-warned is fore-armed.

OH, OH, OH!!! YOU GOT ME!!!

IT TOOK ME THIRTY SECONDS TO CATCH IT!!!

YOU ARE SLICK, MY FRIEND!!! ONE SMART, SMOOTH TALKING, NAME TAKING, SLY AS A SNAKE - MARINE!!! :D
    :):D:rofl:

DO YOU SEE HOW EASY IT IS FOR A GOOD POLICEMAN TO GET YOU TO TALK???

You almost got me to do what I've been trying to oppose here.

You almost got me to talk about an incident...oh, I was tempted...IF ONLY TO HELP YOU UNDERSTAND ME BETTER...

NOW, EVEN THE FACT THAT I SAID THAT I WOULD TALK CAN BE USED AGAINST ME IN COURT. or "in the thread", in this case.

Watch what happens next..."He SAID that he would tell us what happened and now REFUSES to talk. He is trying to HIDE something. Why wouldn't he tell his side of the story...unless HE HAS NO PROOF TO SUPPORT HIS CASE!"

That was a little dramatic, but I hope you get my point. :)

You may not have meant me any harm by asking for more info but others, later on, can use what I have said against me.

This is a good example of what you may be up against after a shooting. It took me thirty seconds to figure out the consequences of my talking and I'm sitting here relaxed in my easy chair.

If I ( I'm not gonna say "you" - you decide for yourself )...If "I" don't have a plan in place that begins with "keep your mouth shut", I will likely be in more trouble than if I didn't have that plan. I don't know exactly what will happen but I must plan ahead and I must play the odds...it is all that I can do...oh,...praying would help.

Nolacopusmc

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Oct 22, 2008
    New Orleans, LA
    OH, OH, OH!!! YOU GOT ME!!!

IT TOOK ME THIRTY SECONDS TO CATCH IT!!!

YOU ARE SLICK, MY FRIEND!!! ONE SMART, SMOOTH TALKING, NAME TAKING, SLY AS A SNAKE - MARINE!!! :D
    :):D:rofl:

DO YOU SEE HOW EASY IT IS FOR A GOOD POLICEMAN TO GET YOU TO TALK???

You almost got me to do what I've been trying to oppose here.

You almost got me to talk about an incident...oh, I was tempted...IF ONLY TO HELP YOU UNDERSTAND ME BETTER...

NOW, EVEN THE FACT THAT I SAID THAT I WOULD TALK CAN BE USED AGAINST ME IN COURT. or "in the thread", in this case.

Watch what happens next..."He SAID that he would tell us what happened and now REFUSES to talk. He is trying to HIDE something. Why wouldn't he tell his side of the story...unless HE HAS NO PROOF TO SUPPORT HIS CASE!"

That was a little dramatic, but I hope you get my point. :)

You may not have meant me any harm by asking for more info but others, later on, can use what I have said against me.

This is a good example of what you may be up against after a shooting. It took me thirty seconds to figure out the consequences of my talking and I'm sitting here relaxed in my easy chair.

If I ( I'm not gonna say "you" - you decide for yourself )...If "I" don't have a plan in place that begins with "keep your mouth shut", I will likely be in more trouble than if I didn't have that plan. I don't know exactly what will happen but I must plan ahead and I must play the odds...it is all that I can do...oh,...praying would help.

Glad I wasn't the onlyone who thought so.:eek3:

Maybe you could tell us about some incidents involving some friends of yours.

Cat

*Banned*
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 5, 2009
    NE of Alexandria, Cenla
    Jesus. Are we still on this???

I'm having better luck arguing to steal one of these wolfhounds today. It's only as big as a small pony. I think I can fit him under my shirt.

Bayoupiper

New Curmudgeon
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 28, 2008
    Iowa, LA
    Bayoupiper gets the next prize! (see my response to Nolacopusmc)

Most of MY facts are in the video. The video contains mountains of evidence to support my opinion...MOUNTAINS!

If you'd REALLY benefit from me going through all the incidents that I've personally had while being interviewed by LEO and comparing the possible results of talking vs not talking, I'll do it. It may bore you and you'll probably skim through them and not give them any credence. I'll do it - but don't waste my time. I wasn't the one to claim that I have lots of real-world, hands-on, professional experience. So don't be disappointed with my personal experiences.

I meant YOUR personal experiences.

Not some video off the internet.

And remember, it also matters WHAT you were being interviewed for.

And irregardless, a lot of it is going to boil down to what YOU felt and believed over what may have actually been the reason for the line of questioning.

I just want you to be fair.

OneStory

Warrior in God's Army
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 5, 2010
    Wandering
    What is going on here?...what I was trying to interject was a little humor to break the tension. It's just my way of dealing with stress and embarrassment. I use humor - it helps me but sometimes others take it as something else...Sometimes it gets me in trouble...I thought it might help here. :) I hope i was right.

While being humorous, I tried to make a point. Don't get too caught up in the humor and miss the other message.

What I try to do while reading a post is to act out the "smilies" within someone's post...

If someone has a "Big Grin" at the end of a sentence, I read the sentence and then physically grin at the end. It helps me to understand the words more. As the smilies change throughout a post, my expressions change along with them so a post can switch between seemingly conflicting emotions and still convey its proper meaning.

What messes me up is when I and others use the smilies and other techniques incorrectly...or use a :) to disguise a :rolleyes:, for instance.

I try to use the smilies correctly in my posts...as well as CAPS, bold, italics, line spacing, colors, text size, differing fonts, etc... I'm trying to paint a picture with what is available. Sometimes that picture displays on your screen very accurate to what I "painted"...sometimes it doesn't.

A REAL BIG PROBLEM is that browsers don't display everything the same way. For example, when I view BS on my iPhone, lots of things don't look the same as on my PC. This can get VERY CONFUSING as you can imagine.

All this being said, I try to be clear enough in my posts that others might not wonder "What's going on here?".

I hope I was clear enough. If I wasn't, please ask me specifically.

Thanks guys!

OneStory

Warrior in God's Army
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 5, 2010
    Wandering
    Jesus. Are we still on this???

I'm having better luck arguing to steal one of these wolfhounds today. It's only as big as a small pony. I think I can fit him under my shirt.

Yes, Cat, we are still on this...and Jesus is along for the ride! :D

The length of the discussion shows how complex it is...how important it is.

The fact that we've stuck it out this far shows our conviction and/or how much we care about each other.

I KNOW you have something more to say....I can't wait! :)

You are married and so am I - no comment from me about what is under your shirt.
    OOPS! :D

OneStory

Warrior in God's Army
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 5, 2010
    Wandering
    I see you all are still at it. I not going to say anymore about this subject till i talk to my attorney!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:D

Are we breaking through to Det.Blair? :D

Or did I sense a hidden "Roll Eyes (Sarcastic)" :rolleyes: ?

Seriously, I think the lack of name calling so far in this thread says a lot about our mutual respect.

OneStory

Warrior in God's Army
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 5, 2010
    Wandering
    I meant YOUR personal experiences.

Not some video off the internet.

And remember, it also matters WHAT you were being interviewed for.

And irregardless, a lot of it is going to boil down to what YOU felt and believed over what may have actually been the reason for the line of questioning.

I just want you to be fair.

Okay, a quick one for you to "chew on" then I'm back to spending time with my family. I may have more later, if my council advises. ;)

I was pulled over for "speeding". The LEO asked me if I knew how fast I was going. I replied something very close to "My cruise control was set on 55. I was going 55". I knew I was going 55 and thought he pulled me over for some other reason. He then told me he clocked me going 66. I wanted to believe him over the instruments in my car due to the respect and admiration I have for LEO, the fact that he was older than me, he was treating me respectfully, etc...

Now I was thoroughly confused due to the facts that I had at the time.
    #1 I purposefully set my cruise control on 55. I had every reason to believe myself and my instruments.
    #2 The LEO said that his instruments showed a different result. I had every reason to believe him and his instruments.

I wondered to myself how that could be and then said exactly what was on my mind at that moment. Out of my mouth came the very truthful words..."Now, I don't know how fast I was going."

I took my ticket and drove home. I called a local LEO friend who met me at a place where we could test my cruise control. He "clocked" me with his radar equipment and we established that my speedometer was off 3 mph at 55 mph.

I decided to take it to court. It was your typical case of "he said vs he said".
    I was a teenager and the LEO had more years on duty than I had been alive. It wasn't going well for me but I believed in justice and was desperate for justice to be served because I did not have the money to pay the ticket.

The officer took the stand and the damning part of his testimony was when he flipped his copy of my ticket over and said that he wrote down what I said that day...he said "the defendant said 'I don't know how fast I was going'".

I took the stand next. I told them everything. I pointed out that my words were taken out of context and were missing the key word "now". I told them about the other car that was passing me and when he spotted the police car, dropped back into our lane so it looked like I was pulling away from him instead of him dropping back. I did everthing I could.

I LOST!

Maybe it wasn't my words, as written on the back of that ticket, that decided the case. I believe it was. My public defendant agrees with me.

My question for you guys is "was I better off having said what I said at the scene or should I have kept my mouth shut"?

Nolacopusmc

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Oct 22, 2008
    New Orleans, LA
    Okay, a quick one for you to "chew on" then I'm back to spending time with my family. I may have more later, if my council advises. ;)

I was pulled over for "speeding". The LEO asked me if I knew how fast I was going. I replied something very close to "My cruise control was set on 55. I was going 55". I knew I was going 55 and thought he pulled me over for some other reason. He then told me he clocked me going 66. I wanted to believe him over the instruments in my car due to the respect and admiration I have for LEO, the fact that he was older than me, he was treating me respectfully, etc...

Now I was thoroughly confused due to the facts that I had at the time.
    #1 I purposefully set my cruise control on 55. I had every reason to believe myself and my instruments.
    #2 The LEO said that his instruments showed a different result. I had every reason to believe him and his instruments.

I wondered to myself how that could be and then said exactly what was on my mind at that moment. Out of my mouth came the very truthful words..."Now, I don't know how fast I was going."

I took my ticket and drove home. I called a local LEO friend who met me at a place where we could test my cruise control. He "clocked" me with his radar equipment and we established that my speedometer was off 3 mph at 55 mph.

I decided to take it to court. It was your typical case of "he said vs he said".
    I was a teenager and the LEO had more years on duty than I had been alive. It wasn't going well for me but I believed in justice and was desperate for justice to be served because I did not have the money to pay the ticket.

The officer took the stand and the damning part of his testimony was when he flipped his copy of my ticket over and said that he wrote down what I said that day...he said "the defendant said 'I don't know how fast I was going'".

I took the stand next. I told them everything. I pointed out that my words were taken out of context and were missing the key word "now". I told them about the other car that was passing me and when he spotted the police car, dropped back into our lane so it looked like I was pulling away from him instead of him dropping back. I did everthing I could.

I LOST!

Maybe it wasn't my words, as written on the back of that ticket, that decided the case. I believe it was. My public defendant agrees with me.

My question for you guys is "was I better off having said what I said at the scene or should I have kept my mouth shut"?

I hate to tell you, but you would have lost that anyway. That is just how traffic court is. Maybe he did get the wrong car, maybe you are lying, maybe your instruments and your buddies radar are all off. Point is, in our criminal justice system, we know that there will be occasions where someone may be wrongfully convicted.

On a moral level, that is unconscionable, but in relative and when put in perspective of speeding and homicide, it is the price we pay. The amount of evidence needed to convict you for homicide versus that of a functioning radar gun, experienced non-perjured officer, and the concept that he had no motive to lie, is like apples and oranges.

I see your point, but you are way out of scope to the point that your example, while illustrating the basic principle has no bearing to this discussion.
    We are looking for something use of force based where you were convicted based solely on something you said without the benefit of counsel.

OneStory

Warrior in God's Army
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 5, 2010
    Wandering
    I see your point, but you are way out of scope to the point that your example, while illustrating the basic principle has no bearing to this discussion.

I told you that you wouldn't be impressed...but somebody insisted I share so...

We are looking for something use of force based where you were convicted based solely on something you said without the benefit of counsel.

I do have something "use of force based" but I have NEVER been convicted of anything. That is what I'm trying to avoid...being convicted of something. I'd rather hash this out from my home instead of from prison.

You'd have ask the guys in prison for stories where they have been convicted based solely on something they said without the benefit of counsel.

BTW We are not discussing situations where what a person says is the "sole" reason for conviction. We are discussion situations where what you say can negatively effect your situation in any way.

OneStory

Warrior in God's Army
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 5, 2010
    Wandering
    Point is, in our criminal justice system, we know that there will be occasions where someone may be wrongfully convicted.
    On a moral level, that is unconscionable, but in relative and when put in perspective of speeding and homicide, it is the price we pay.

It is the price I'll pay that interests me.

The amount of evidence needed to convict you for homicide versus that of a functioning radar gun, experienced non-perjured officer, and the concept that he had no motive to lie, is like apples and oranges.

And I don't want to add ANYTHING to that amount of evidence.
    QUOTE]

Nolacopusmc

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Oct 22, 2008
    New Orleans, LA
    You'd have ask the guys in prison for stories where they have been convicted based solely on something they said without the benefit of counsel.

BTW We are not discussing situations where what a person says is the "sole" reason for conviction. We are discussion situations where what you say can negatively effect your situation in any way.

How would you even measure wethaer it had any affect on your conviction or imprisonment?

You are a very weird guy. I do not mean that as an attack, I just mean....you are different....special :confused:

OneStory

Warrior in God's Army
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 5, 2010
    Wandering
    I hate to tell you, but you would have lost that anyway.

Such a good post! I can't get away from it! :)

I think you are correct. I would have lost anyway...

And one FACT in the case is that the LEO made a mistake. It wasn't his first and it won't be his last. We ALL make mistakes on the job and off...but

HE made a mistake and I PAID FOR IT...in more ways than one. My mistake - opening my mouth - did not help me so I should have kept it SHUT.

Since LEO can make mistakes that could determine the outcome of a case, people need to do their upmost to refrain from making any mistakes of their own to add to the human error already inherently there. The biggest mistake that a defendant makes is often opening his mouth.

Nolacopusmc

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Oct 22, 2008
    New Orleans, LA
    Such a good post! I can't get away from it! :)

I think you are correct. I would have lost anyway...

And one FACT in the case is that the LEO made a mistake. It wasn't his first and it won't be his last. We ALL make mistakes on the job and off...but

HE made a mistake and I PAID FOR IT...in more ways than one. My mistake - opening my mouth - did not help me so I should have kept it SHUT.

Since LEO can make mistakes that could determine the outcome of a case, people need to do their upmost to refrain from making any mistakes of their own to add to the human error already inherently there. The biggest mistake that a defendant makes is often opening his mouth.

I may have missed it, but could you please post a proper introduction to yourself in a new thread and give us a little about your background. You are a very interesting fellow.

OneStory

Warrior in God's Army
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 5, 2010
    Wandering
    How would you even measure wethaer it had any affect on your conviction or imprisonment?

You are a very weird guy. I do not mean that as an attack, I just mean....you are different....special :confused:

Thanks! I think...:confused:

You won't find many people like me on this forum or anywhere, for that matter. I am what I am. There are lots of things I'd change about myself, if I could...lots of things I'm working on...with God's help.

--- I don't want any measurement at all. I want there to be a big NOTHING where all the stupid things I said would have been. THE ABSENSE OF THESE STUPID THINGS IS WHAT I'M BETTING WILL KEEP ME OUT OF PRISON.

That void or "big NOTHING" will be filled with all of the HELPFULL THINGS that my attorney advised me to say.

It isn't the best analogy but...I am not going to try to fix my busted transmission while broken down in the rain on the side of the road in the middle of the night in bumsville. Even if I had the tools with me and some idea how transmissions work. If at all possible, I AM GOING TO CALL THE PROFESSIONALS TO HELP ME. When the towtruck driver (who represents the LEO in comparison) pulls up, I am going to be happy to see him and let him do his job but I am not going to ask him how to fix my transmission. I am going to ask the people who specialize in fixing transmissions how to do that.

Top Bottom