Don't talk to the police

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • JR1572

Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Nov 30, 2008
    Madisonville, LA
    All this discussion about what to do if you are involved in a self defence shooting.

The chances are slim to none of it happening to any of you internet commandos.

These are the risks of carrying a gun. If they scare you, you obviously didn't think it out all the way when you decided to buy the weapon or take the concealed carry class.

JR1572

RCRAMIE

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Nov 25, 2008
    Lake Charles
    That is the purpose of the forums to discuss things. To learn and share. Never said the risk scare me, but being informed will make a difference.

OneStory

Warrior in God's Army
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 5, 2010
    Wandering
    You want advise from us and we give to you all and are not satisfied go speak to a lawyer so you can get your game plan and be prepared if it ever happens. thats good advice from me.we have to work within the confines of the law no less no more.remember the law is what a reasonable person believes what happened not beyond all doubt in court.

Yes, I want advice from you. I have received advice from you. I have learned from your advice. Thank you for sticking it out with us here. The fact that I have yet to implement your advice stems from the fact that you have failed to convince me. Don't get upset that you have failed to convince me. You are not a "failure". You have done an adequate job of expressing your thoughts. No offense, but I am not convinced.

Someone else said that facts have been presented and ignored. Yes, they are correct, in a way. Facts have been presented - THAT DID NOT PROVE WHAT YOU WERE ASSERTING - but, yes, they were facts. I should have asked you to present facts that supported and/or proved your case.

I may be a dimwit. I have been in the past and this "fact" supports the assertion that I could be one in this case. But, in my opinion, no facts have been entered into this thread that prove your case.

You wrote, "the law is what a reasonable person believes" - you may want to go back and change that. You might have to search long and hard to find supporting evidence that includes that definition of "the law".

Det.Blair

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 2, 2009
    Plaquemine, La.
    All the things I have stated are what I believe is the right recourse but if I had all the answers I could fix the world's problems. I do not consider myself an expert by no means but life expierences in my career of 30 long years hopefully shown me the right things that I can pass on. We can talk for days on this and right the chances of a violent confrontation is slim just like us in law enforcement, but there is always that chance. So be prepared, pre plan in your mind what you are going to do post incident its your decision not mine.
    So in ending lets talk about something else like why they do not keep those thugs in jail longer so we do not have to deal with them.:)

Last edited:

spanky

Gold Member
    Rating - 100%
    141   0   0
    Sep 12, 2006
    Gonzales, LA
    I was racially profiled. Picking up my little brother from BRCC, the officer claims I rolled through a stop sign. I honestly don't remember if I did or not - but the reason I went off was I was in a LINE at the sign and I was the only white guy in a BMW - and the only one that got pulled over. He pulled me over about 20 feet from the sign (he was in a POV (with a broken tail light) and jumped out) and people were BLATANTLY rolling through the sign 3 feet away from him as he wrote the ticket. When I asked him why he wasn't flagging them over, he made some smartass comment about being able to afford it... about then was when I gave him a piece of my mind.

Attorney calls from court a month later... "Did you say... blah, blah, blah and ask him if he was writing himself a ticket for a busted tail light?!?!?!"

Me - "Yep."

Attorney - (sigh)

:rofl:

RCRAMIE

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Nov 25, 2008
    Lake Charles
    All the things I have stated are what I believe is the right recourse but if I had all the answers I could fix the world's problems. I do not consider myself an expert by no means but life expierences in my career of 30 long years hopefully shown me the right things that I can pass on. We can talk for days on this and right the chances of a violent confrontation is slim just like us in law enforcement, but there is always that chance. So be prepared, pre plan in your mind what you are going to do post incident its your decision not mine.
    So in ending lets talk about something else like why they do not keep those thugs in jail longer so we do not have to deal with them.:)

Why is it the used to be back on the street before I finished my 48hr warrant.
    Why is it you have to go to court all day then find out it has been prostponed come back another day.
    Why dont.'t they understand about day off court, training, meeting so on so on.
    As much as I liked the job there is a lot I don't miss.

Bullet

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 31, 2008
    New Orleans - Westbank
    For LEOs here. Can you count the number of times some one's lawyer actually made it down to the sence?

Let me guess what happens if they actually arrive. The person still gives a few details and nothing else until GJ or DA's office decides what is going to happen (providing an arrest isn't made)?

RCRAMIE

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Nov 25, 2008
    Lake Charles
    For LEOs here. Can you count the number of times some one's lawyer actually made it down to the sence?

Let me guess what happens if they actually arrive. The person still gives a few details and nothing else until GJ or DA's office decides what is going to happen (providing an arrest isn't made)?
    I never seen it happen.
    I expect to have to go in and if its is normal time of day maybe my lawyer will make it there if not good chance I spend a night somewhere.

Det.Blair

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 2, 2009
    Plaquemine, La.
    Rcramie you are right about the court thing. it still goes on. I have 2 murder cases postponed in the last two months. I have 4 murder cases stacked up ready to go whenever.

Bullet did you mean station(sence?)I have had lawyers turn there clients in or come in if we want to question someone, but is rare and in between.so people cooperate someone do not. If there is doubt about something we confer with the da and advise them what we have. they listen to us based the FACTS we find out. we even asked to let the grand jury decide before we arrest. not in every case though just the ones we fill would uncomfortable because the lack of evidence. I worked 18 months on a homicide before we went to the grand jury and got him indicted. went to trial and had a hung jury. back in the appeals court.

Nolacopusmc

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Oct 22, 2008
    New Orleans, LA

Never in 13 years of LE have i ever had an attorny on my scene....except for when i pulled a couple over, and they got their ticket and paid. Except for one.

posse comatosis

Hoo-ahh!
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 15, 2008
    Bayou Perdition
    Attorneys don't come to the scene. Just STFU, and your attorney will see you in jail at his/her earliest convenience, or at the end of nine holes of golf, or after the yacht docks or the duck hunt ends.

OneStory

Warrior in God's Army
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 5, 2010
    Wandering
    I know that it seems that some of us were implying that, once the attorney arrived at the scene, we would talk with someone.

I don't think that anyone here reasonably expects to see any attorney until the next day.

What we are saying is that the beginning of "keeping your mouth shut" starts at the scene and ends when the attorney is there to represent you...no matter how long that takes.

Bayoupiper

New Curmudgeon
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 28, 2008
    Iowa, LA
    Thats the thing no facts on why not waiting is better was ever given!
    The last couple of pages between us NOLACOP DET.Blair have been very civil and I think we understand each other position better now.
    Then you come with this crap
    How do you get me wanting to wait for my legal advice and try my best to protect myself from criminal charges with the need to sell my guns.

Crap?

You utterly and COMPLETELY missed me giving you EXACTLY THE FACTS you so wanted.

And scientific facts to boot!

But no, you were all so damned fixated on lawyering up!

So I made a sarcastic post, and what do I get?

You insulting me..............

Were I to respond in kind with an insult, I'm thinking it would be something like "You clueless bastard".

Yeah, were I to insult you, that'd be it...

Last edited:

RCRAMIE

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Nov 25, 2008
    Lake Charles
    Where is these facts you are talking about, and yes your comment about get rid of the guns cause I want legal advice is just that CRAP just like all the other post you have made on this topic.
    I a previous post I have asked for you to quote or tell me where these facts you posted was because I must have overlooked theme im still waiting on that post from you.
    BTW I never insulted you as you claim I said your post and your comment was crap and I stand by that statement!

Bayoupiper

New Curmudgeon
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 28, 2008
    Iowa, LA
    Where is these facts you are talking about, and yes your comment about get rid of the guns cause I want legal advice is just that CRAP just like all the other post you have made on this topic.
    I a previous post I have asked for you to quote or tell me where these facts you posted was because I must have overlooked theme im still waiting on that post from you.
    BTW I never insulted you as you claim I said your post and your comment was crap and I stand by that statement!

Try post #45, clueless.

RCRAMIE

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Nov 25, 2008
    Lake Charles
    Thank that was the one I was looking I did overlook that and that is the reason I asked in two different post for what you were talking about.
    That goes hand and hand in waiting to talk to your lawyer.

OneStory

Warrior in God's Army
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 5, 2010
    Wandering
    Bayoupiper, you've said a lot of good and interesting things but I've lost track of your line of reasoning.

I was asking for facts to prove that talking before attorney consultation was BEST. ( in opposition to my theory )
    AND I THINK
    You gave facts to prove that talking before attorney consultation was WORST. ( in support of my theory )

I'm confused and want to understand your point.

Please restate your point clear enough for me to understand it. Thank you.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    ApplesOranges
    Top Bottom