Fire Mission - Ask Jindal to VETO Hb 523

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • XD-GEM

XD-GEM
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jun 8, 2008
    New Orleans
    Done.

What a dirty trick. Wrong CCW exempted. I guess it was possible to hate politicians more.

No it's on purpose. When this bill and LAfonta's original HB 44 first came up, I posted about it here, on ARFCOM, and on OCDO. One member of OCDO called LaFonta and questioned the law's constitutionality (naturally) and he also called to LaFonta's attention to the difference between RS 40.1379.1 and RS 40:1379.3. LaFonta said he wasn't aware of the distinction and had lifted the language from the "Firearm Free School Zone Law." After finally understanding the difference, LaFonta said he would modify his bill.
    That happened, then the carry part got dropped from HB 44 altogether, but Ernst's bill still did not have the ".3" exemption.

As Dan has stated earlier, it was eliminated altogether until the conference committee where it was added back in. Conference committees are SUPPOSED to iron out differences between House and Senate versions of bills, NOT add in new stuff.

BTW, up until he made the statement that he finally understood the difference, LaFonta insisted that his intention was to exempt statewide permit holders - so he either truely didn't know or was trying to be clever. If there were actually no difference between the two, then statewide holders could carry on campus. The anti-gunners know this, but they expect that they can bamboozle the general public with the line that they have included a "resonable" exception for licensed carriers.

dzelenka

D.R. 1827; HM; P100x3
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 2, 2008
    Covington
    You also may want to call the NRA-ILA State Liaison, Chris Rager at 703-267-1213 or email him at crager@nrahq.org . Express your unhappiness that NRA is not opposing the signing of the bill. My informant said that it will be extremely hard to get Jindal to veto the bill without NRA opposing it.

Dan

CCW

CCW
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    May 19, 2008
    Louisiana
    Email sent to Chris Rager.

I also called the Governor's office again today. The young man that took the message had a disappointed tone in his voice when I asked him to let the Governor know that I want him to veto the bill and why. It would not surprise me if the bill has already been signed and that information has not bee released. We need to continue to keep as much pressure as possible on Gov. Jindal to veto the bill. Remember the Legislative Pay Raise issue last year. He was not going to veto it until the public spoke and he realized what a mistake it would be not to veto the bill. Keep it going.

Last edited:

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    McFreddieMercury
    Top Bottom