Fire Mission - Ask Jindal to VETO Hb 523

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • dawg23

Resident Dimwit
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Sep 17, 2006
    Baton Rouge
    Bump.

If you haven't phoned Jindal's opinion line, you need to do so.

You need to let the operator know (respectfully) that you want the Governor to veto House Bill 523.

It's that simple. You don't have to give a reason. Just state your request and give them your name and phone number (they will usually ask for it).

Here are the numbers to call:
    866-366-1121
    225-342-7015

Last edited:

dawg23

Resident Dimwit
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Sep 17, 2006
    Baton Rouge
    Bump.

If you haven't phoned Jindal's opinion line, you need to do so.

You need to let the operator know (respectfully) that you want the Governor to veto House Bill 523.

It's that simple. You don't have to give a reason. Just state your request and give them your name and phone number (they will usually ask for it).

Here are the numbers to call:
    866-366-1121
    225-342-7015

CALL NOW !!

CCW

CCW
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    May 19, 2008
    Louisiana
    Jindal Vetoed HB 523!!!

BATON ROUGE – Today, Governor Bobby Jindal vetoed HB 523 and issued the following veto letter:

July 10, 2009

Mr. Alfred W. Speer
    Clerk of the House of Representatives
    State Capitol
    Baton Rouge, LA 70802

Re: House Bill No. 523 by Representative Ernst

Dear Mr. Speer:

Under current law, it is illegal to carry a firearm “used in the commission of a crime of violence” within a parade zone. The purpose of this qualifying language is to require that the illegal use of a firearm is the primary element of the offense, not the mere possession of a firearm. House Bill No. 523 removes this important provision and criminalizes certain acts of mere possession. The National Rifle Association and others have requested veto of this bill in part because it does not exempt firearm carriers with a valid permit under R.S. 40:1379.3 or unintentional violators. In addition, I have signed House Bill No. 44, which creates the crime of reckless or criminally negligent discharge of a firearm within 1,000 feet of certain public events, including parades.

For these reasons, I have vetoed House Bill No. 523 and hereby return it to the House of Representatives.

Sincerely yours,

Bobby Jindal
    Governor

###

dzelenka

D.R. 1827; HM; P100x3
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 2, 2008
    Covington
    Guys,

That was a big win for us and the movement started with Louisiana gun owners not the NRA. They seemed to have followed our lead. Don't discount their part in this because they are the 800 pound gorilla in RKBA matters, but I am firmly convinced that it was our letters and calls that opened everyone's eyes to this issue.

Thanks again

I am pleased beyond belief.

Dan

Tulse Luper

Besmirched!
    Rating - 100%
    64   0   0
    Oct 29, 2008
    Metairie
    I'm pretty sure it's because I called today, and the girl thought I had a very manly voice and said she would tell the Governor personally about how displeased I was, but I'm willing to give a modicum of credit to Dan, Dawg, the NRA and everyone else involved. Good Deal!!

Last edited:

dawg23

Resident Dimwit
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Sep 17, 2006
    Baton Rouge
    Thanks to everyone who called or wrote to Jindal.

Dan is correct -- the NRA was helpful, but the determining factors were the huge response from CCW gun owners, and the efforts of LSA.

I would love to see a tally of how many messages were received by the Governor. I'm betting it was in the hundreds.

If you are one of those who conveyed your opinion to Governor Jindal, give yourself a well deserved pat on the back.

dzelenka

D.R. 1827; HM; P100x3
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 2, 2008
    Covington
    If you are not already a member of LSA, please join. It is $10 per year. The more of us there are, the better we can be heard.

Dan

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Good2go504
    Top Bottom