Fire Mission - Ask Jindal to VETO Hb 523

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • XD-GEM

XD-GEM
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jun 8, 2008
    New Orleans
    A typical scenario for politicians who do not want to get a lot of media attention for something like this is to release the announcement near the end of the day on a Friday or on the day before a 3 day weekend. If the Governor is looking to dodge publicity, look for it to go out this evening or even tomorrow (depending on whether the governmental holiday is observed on Friday or Monday).

spanky

Gold Member
    Rating - 100%
    141   0   0
    Sep 12, 2006
    Gonzales, LA
    A typical scenario for politicians who do not want to get a lot of media attention for something like this is to release the announcement near the end of the day on a Friday or on the day before a 3 day weekend. If the Governor is looking to dodge publicity, look for it to go out this evening or even tomorrow (depending on whether the governmental holiday is observed on Friday or Monday).

Go out as in be vetoed? Or signed?

dzelenka

D.R. 1827; HM; P100x3
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 2, 2008
    Covington
    No, so I put a call in for someone higher up the chain.

On another front, a friend who has had contact with the administration told me that there is very little change of a veto if NRA is ok with the bill. Jindal doesn't want to seem soft on crime.

Finally, I just hung up with the lawyer representing the state associations in the Chicago case. We were going over my final changes to the amici brief. It will go to the printer this afternoon and be filed on Monday. I am working for you guys.:)

XD-GEM

XD-GEM
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jun 8, 2008
    New Orleans
    Go out as in be vetoed? Or signed?

Go out as in an announcement one way or the other going out, not the action itself.

It would be hard to predict how Jindal will handle this one. Dan has given him a cover of citing HB44 as the real crime-fighting tool that punishes the criminal as opposed to this bill punishing the law-abiding; but if the NRA hasn't seen that distinction and hasn't pushed it on the governor, he may not be aware of the opposition from gun owners.

Keep in mind that he does not, to my knowledge, participate in any form of the shooting sports, although he philosophically supports gun rights.

dzelenka

D.R. 1827; HM; P100x3
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 2, 2008
    Covington
    We may be gaining some ground. I was speaking to to an NRA grass roots person who I asked to look into what was going on. He could not tell me; however, when I said that I thought I had gotten 50 or so people to write or call the governor, he responded: "Oh, it has been many more than that."

KEEP UP THE GOOD WORK

We may get there yet.

Dan

CCW

CCW
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    May 19, 2008
    Louisiana
    Dan,

Thank you for your work on attempting to influence to Governor's decision to veto the bill. Whether he signs it, vetoes it or allows it to become law without his signature, we have learned that we can ultimately influence at least the Governor, if not our legislators...
    I don't understand why the NRA has not actively requested the Jindal veto the bill. Is it a lack of information or have they spread themselves too thin?

dzelenka

D.R. 1827; HM; P100x3
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 2, 2008
    Covington
    There may be factors at work that should not be speculated about or discussed - concerning both how we got here and how we may get out.

dzelenka

D.R. 1827; HM; P100x3
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 2, 2008
    Covington
    Here is the thrust of the email:

"Please know the NRA agrees that HB523 would adversely affect Louisiana's law-abiding permit holders. As such, we are and have been working with Governor Jindal's office."

I hope they are on it.

I say keep up the pressure on the governor.

Dan

1911heat

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 30, 2007
    I hadn't seen this thread earlier, but I did get the email notification and immediately wrote Gov Jindal a letter. After reading this thread, I've also sent an email to my State Rep and Senator asking them to ask Gov Jindal to veto HB 523. Also I've written Chris w/ NRA and am writing Gov Jindal again.

KEEP THE PRESSURE UP !!!!!!!!!!!!!

CCW

CCW
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    May 19, 2008
    Louisiana
    Does anyone have an update on the legislation? 7-5-09 was the tenth and final day to veto the bill. I doubt anyone worked over the weekend. Hopefully, Jindal vetoed it on 7-2-09 and his office has not put out the press release. One can hope...

dzelenka

D.R. 1827; HM; P100x3
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 2, 2008
    Covington
    He has 20 days.

Section 18.(A) Gubernatorial Action. If the governor does not approve a bill, he may veto it. A bill, except a joint resolution, shall become law if the governor signs it or if he fails to sign or veto it within ten days after delivery to him if the legislature is in session on the tenth day after such delivery, or within twenty days after delivery if the tenth day after delivery occurs after the legislature is adjourned.

dawg23

Resident Dimwit
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Sep 17, 2006
    Baton Rouge
    Does anyone have an update on the legislation? 7-5-09 was the tenth and final day to veto the bill. I doubt anyone worked over the weekend. Hopefully, Jindal vetoed it on 7-2-09 and his office has not put out the press release. One can hope...

I don't think you are correct. Jindal has 20 days after a bill is sent to him (if the legislature is not in session) -- and HB 523 was sent to him on June 29.

So we need to continue sending emails and phone messages to the governor's office through July 19.

Top Bottom