Frozen EVs in Chicago.

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • noob

enthusiast
    Silver Member
    Rating - 100%
    41   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    New Orleans
    As someone that will probably never daily an EV, I literally have dozens of family members and friends with mostly teslas, but few have Porsche taycan and Audi e-trons. Except for the Porsche and Audi people, everyone else said they would never go back to gas. Mind you they ALL have gas cars in their family except for 1 couple (both drive model Y's). I work from home and my daily commute is just a 10-15 mile round trip to drop off the kids at school/day care. My wife the same, for both of us an EV makes sense as we have a house with a garage and we can charge at home. Where it doesn't work is twice a month I drive to lafayette and back for work. That commute is too far for ANY EV currently on the market, including the Lucid Air. The max distance is in a very controlled environment going under 60 mph and and not running AC etc. So 20-30% less is very much to be expected. Which doesn't matter if you have a 250 mile battery capacity, but commute 15 miles a day, you charge once a week or less often. Also I like to take road trips to TX and FL and that would be inconvenient to have to stop for long periods of time to charge.

All that to say, they are very practical cars if you have a home and garage and a "normal" commute. Problem with the Chicago situation is the extreme cold draining batteries and Tesla chargers not working and high population of people living in apartments and townhouses.

machinedrummer

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Apr 5, 2010
    Kingwood, Tx
    Why not just make the roof, hood, and trunk a solar panel? Maybe even a hand crank or bicycle pedals to crank out some emergency power? A ram air turbine rising out of the hood would be really cool too!

John_

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Nov 23, 2013
    Hammond, LA
    Why not just make the roof, hood, and trunk a solar panel?
    I have thought about this in the past. I mean the whole idea behind EVs is to save the planet and get us off hydrocarbon fuels. All of that surface area, the vehicle roof, hood, and trunk, why not cover it with solar cells? Capture whatever power from the sun during daylight hours. I'm sure Joe Biden and Al Gore would approve.

Why wouldn't you cover it in solar cells?

krotsman

Rating - 100%
    104   0   0
    Aug 2, 2012
    Baton Rouge
    I have thought about this in the past. I mean the whole idea behind EVs is to save the planet and get us off hydrocarbon fuels. All of that surface area, the vehicle roof, hood, and trunk, why not cover it with solar cells? Capture whatever power from the sun during daylight hours. I'm sure Joe Biden and Al Gore would approve.

Toyota is testing a Prius with solar cells all over it. It doesn't look like it will totally power the car, but it will help. They were bragging about the newer more efficient solar cells that have a 34% conversion efficiency. I'm not an engineer, but that doesn't seem like it's ready for prime time...

AustinBR

Make your own luck
    Staff member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Oct 22, 2012

Elon talks about this in one of his Joe Rogan interviews and the gist of it is that there isn't enough surface area on the car to really make a difference.

thperez1972

ESSAYONS
    Staff member
    Gold Member
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 28, 2015
    Baton Rouge, LA
    The need to get 500 miles in 5 minutes really isn't something that most people need unless they're driving super long distances frequently.
    The space shuttle has been known to do 17000 miles per hour, but I don't think any vehicle on earth can do 6000 miles per hour, over long distances, frequently! Top speed of the Concorde is just over 1350 MPH!
    Although I don't have the hard numbers to back up my claim, I'd guess that most people don't ride in either the space shuttle or the concorde. And I'm pretty sure neither vehicle is an ev.

AdvancedLaser

Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 15, 2021
    Covington, Louisiana
    As someone that will probably never daily an EV, I literally have dozens of family members and friends with mostly teslas, but few have Porsche taycan and Audi e-trons. Except for the Porsche and Audi people, everyone else said they would never go back to gas. Mind you they ALL have gas cars in their family except for 1 couple (both drive model Y's). I work from home and my daily commute is just a 10-15 mile round trip to drop off the kids at school/day care. My wife the same, for both of us an EV makes sense as we have a house with a garage and we can charge at home. Where it doesn't work is twice a month I drive to lafayette and back for work. That commute is too far for ANY EV currently on the market, including the Lucid Air. The max distance is in a very controlled environment going under 60 mph and and not running AC etc. So 20-30% less is very much to be expected. Which doesn't matter if you have a 250 mile battery capacity, but commute 15 miles a day, you charge once a week or less often. Also I like to take road trips to TX and FL and that would be inconvenient to have to stop for long periods of time to charge.

All that to say, they are very practical cars if you have a home and garage and a "normal" commute. Problem with the Chicago situation is the extreme cold draining batteries and Tesla chargers not working and high population of people living in apartments and townhouses.
    OR stop at the BR Supercharger, or Laffy one (250watt) and grab some charge before returning. Easy trip.

noob

enthusiast
    Silver Member
    Rating - 100%
    41   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    New Orleans
    OR stop at the BR Supercharger, or Laffy one (250watt) and grab some charge before returning. Easy trip.
    When you're on the road for 5 hours on a work day, you don't want to be on the road any longer than you absolutely need to be. I know the super charger can get you up to 80% in 20 min, but I don't want to wait 20 min and let that BR traffic build at the port allen bridge.

AdvancedLaser

Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 15, 2021
    Covington, Louisiana
    Okay fellow EV evangelist's Yall have convinced me to join the Church of Electris Jesus
    and Battery Day Saints.
    Point me to the local indoctrination center post-haste!
    Take my money Shirley!
    You realize you went from a valid contributor, to a clown who makes things up and now is just blurting out childish rants ? Maybe just take a breath and chill for a bit and look less uneducated ?

AdvancedLaser

Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 15, 2021
    Covington, Louisiana
    When you're on the road for 5 hours on a work day, you don't want to be on the road any longer than you absolutely need to be. I know the super charger can get you up to 80% in 20 min, but I don't want to wait 20 min and let that BR traffic build at the port allen bridge.
    Totally valid point. Hate that bottleneck.

noob

enthusiast
    Silver Member
    Rating - 100%
    41   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    New Orleans
    Totally valid point. Hate that bottleneck.
    I've only worked my current job for ~2 years, but since then I have found out what highway 90, I49 and hwy 190 are. And also the little bridge in BR that runs parallel to the big one. NONE of those highways do you want to be stuck with an EV on as it's very rural. I'm a fan, and if my wife wanted a Tesla, I Would get her one tomorrow. But she doesn't want one, and I'm good with not spending money. I prefer her not having to pump gas at night in NOLA. I already wired my garage with a NEMA 14-50 outlet in preparation to eventually get an EV one day (for her). We will always have a full size ICE car for the family and road trips.

noob

enthusiast
    Silver Member
    Rating - 100%
    41   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    New Orleans
    Did they used to be free but now they charge $ for those parking lot chargers?
    Think you have to have a sub 2017 to have free Tesla super charging. They charge now. Also if you get a non-tesla car you have to use different chargers like "charge America" which can charge you by the time or wattage. And usually are slower. GM has some super fast charging in the hummer EV, but those chargers are pretty rare as it's 440v!!!

AdvancedLaser

Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 15, 2021
    Covington, Louisiana
    I've only worked my current job for ~2 years, but since then I have found out what highway 90, I49 and hwy 190 are. And also the little bridge in BR that runs parallel to the big one. NONE of those highways do you want to be stuck with an EV on as it's very rural. I'm a fan, and if my wife wanted a Tesla, I Would get her one tomorrow. But she doesn't want one, and I'm good with not spending money. I prefer her not having to pump gas at night in NOLA. I already wired my garage with a NEMA 14-50 outlet in preparation to eventually get an EV one day (for her). We will always have a full size ICE car for the family and road trips.
    Agree, I always wondered why they didnt market more to the female segment and never having to be told how beautiful they are at gas stations, lol

thperez1972

ESSAYONS
    Staff member
    Gold Member
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 28, 2015
    Baton Rouge, LA
    Well no ones Tesla got charged? Bottom line ladies.

"When You Go Home, Tell Them Of Us And Say, For Your Tomorrow, We Gave Our's Today"
    In the signature, you have a quote from John Maxwell Edmonds. The quote is
    "When you go home, tell them of us and say, For your tomorrow, we gave our today."
    A pronoun like "our" does not use an apostrophe to show possession. The correct spelling is "ours." And that is used in place of a noun. When used before a noun to indicate possession, as it is used in the actual quote, the correct word is "our" without the "s."

Fordfella

Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 8, 2018
    Lafayette, Louisiana
    Although I don't have the hard numbers to back up my claim, I'd guess that most people don't ride in either the space shuttle or the concorde. And I'm pretty sure neither vehicle is an ev.
    Although I don't have the hard numbers to back it up. I'd bet a paycheck or two that you've never written a ticket for an ev 5900 over the speed limit. Dude....You're making my argument for me.

Top Bottom