Hey LEO's, Can a Private Citizen Borrow and/or Rent a Traffic Speed Gun?

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Vsotok10

Mad Scientist
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    May 2, 2010
    CENLA
    Maybe check with the parish to see if they have one of these that they can put out for you...

Do any of these keep records such as speed and time. If an LEO has this information then he can be in position when feeding time starts, making a tidy profit for the court and encouraging people to slow down (in that order).

RyanW

Koch-head
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Nov 5, 2010
    Baton Rouge
    Just sit on the porch and start throwing footballs. People slow down pretty quick, especially when you accidently hit the car.

MOTOR51

Rating - 100%
    72   0   0
    Dec 23, 2008
    here
    People normally do not call the Sheriff or Chief of Police for something like this, the person that answers the phone at the SO or PD can probably assist you but you will probably be put on a waiting list.

This is true. Probably better off calling the SO traffic division

bsramzy

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 13, 2011
    prairieville
    my HOA in prairieville is having the same dispute (hopefully your not my president :mamoru:)

We are basically going to add speed bumps in the road to help this issue.

charlie12

Not a Fed.
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 21, 2008
    Pride
    Where we go down on the Diversion Canal behind the gated part they have those really nice little fancy speed limit signs that say 27 mph. (that's right 27 mph)
    If you go very fast in there they go kind of crazy, the only ones that can speed are the people that live there. :rolleyes:

Emperor

Seriously Misunderstood!
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 7, 2011
    Nether region
    my HOA in prairieville is having the same dispute (hopefully your not my president :mamoru:)

We are basically going to add speed bumps in the road to help this issue.

I can't be, because some members wanted to have speed bumps put in ours, but it would take the roads being private. Too expensive not to continue to have the parish own the roads.

If you and your HOA didn't look into that, you need to. We even tried to get gates, but again; parish roads cannot be blocked or privatized, unless you and your guys are going to pay to maintain them. BTW; the parsih will gladly turn them over too.

One advantage we have, is we only have one street in or out. No through streets.

Butrbal

Rok Out Whit Ya Glock Out
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jun 28, 2012
    Prairieville
    I can't be, because some members wanted to have speed bumps put in ours, but it would take the roads being private.
    Emperor, look into the speed bumps again. I used to travel down Tiggy Duplessis Rd in the afternoon on my way home and that road has about four speed bumps down its length, I can't imagine it being a private rd.

sksshooter

Rating - 100%
    50   0   0
    Jul 28, 2008
    Walker, LA
    Emperor, look into the speed bumps again. I used to travel down Tiggy Duplessis Rd in the afternoon on my way home and that road has about four speed bumps down its length, I can't imagine it being a private rd.

Speed bumps.

Actually tends to stop excessive speeders, nobody gets ticketed, everyone wins.

that road isn't private. after enough complaining by residents they installed the speed cushions. now you have people that haul butt from one to the next only to slam the breaks on go over it real slow and then put it to the floor again. i drive that road every day going home.

oh and they are much smoother if you hit them at the speed limit (35mph) or 50 :rofl:

CEHollier

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Dec 29, 2007
    Prairieville
    Actually it's Prairieville. Yours truly is on the HOA Board (would you expect anything less from me); and we have residents complaining about the speeding in the neighborhood for obvious reasons. So, my first inclination is to actually set up in the neihgborhood, stop the neihgbors that are speeding, and explain to them the consequences of their actions, etc.

Now I know what you all are thinking; "You wouldn't put yourself in that position, you would call the police and let them handle it." And I agree to some respect. But we all know each other, and THEY ALL KNOW WHO I AM; and it might be a son or daughter that just needs a friendly reminder that we have little kids all over the place, and blah, blah, etc..

And if that diplomacy doesn't work, I could go Yeager on them! :p

Recently I went through a neighborhood in Lafayette with speed bumps. The streets were public so I'm not sure how they got there.
    I think it's a really bad idea for a civilian to radar and stop people on a public road. Should something happen you will be in a bad legal position. Some of the people traveling through may be friends of neighbors and not know who you are. What happens if one of your stops causes an accident? Or a teenage girl accuses you of propositioning her during the stop. I see too many ways for this to go wrong. I have been on several HOA boards and understand your frustration. Try sending letters to the residents advising them of the speeding problem. Let them know should it continue the police will set up radar until it ceases to be a problem. If they get a ticket they can't say they weren't warned. My two cents.

Barry J

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 5, 2011
    Thibodaux
    To put speed bumps on a public street, the parish council has to pass an ordinance. A housing association cannot do it. Get all the residents to sign a petition and give it to your councilman and see what he says.

Top Bottom