How many of you carry a round in the chamber?

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Round in the chamber for carry?

• Total voters

jgreco15

The Zebra
    Rating - 100%
    53   0   0
    Feb 15, 2009
    Lafayette, LA
    I am torn between having a round in the chamber or not. The idea that it is there when i need it is obvious. Would I even have time to manually chamber a round if i ever had to use my weapon? <-----that is what i keep asking myself.

Can some of you give me different points of view on the subject, please? My concern is my 2 year old in the house/truck although the gun is always in my holster and out of reach if i am at home.

For reference purposes, I carry a G27 if that makes any difference with either a Blackhawk sepra holster or an IWB depending on my activities for the day.

gmshooter

Gold Member
    Rating - 100%
    328   0   0
    Jan 21, 2009
    Gramercy La.
    Always
    if thinks happen fast you will not have time to react and get one in the chamber. It is about as useful as an unloaded gun;)

Nolacopusmc

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Oct 22, 2008
    New Orleans, LA
    How is this even a question?

:)

On thing I have been thinking about is ONLY in the situation of a gun in the night stand, not chambering a round.

Reasoning:

It is dark and you are sleeping. Middle of the night sound, you will min most situations have time. WHat I am thinking you would avoid in that sleepy dark, panicky grab for the gun in the middle of the night inadvertently snatching the trigger and send a round in the next room and alerting the BG.

What do you think?

spanky

Gold Member
    Rating - 100%
    141   0   0
    Sep 12, 2006
    Gonzales, LA
    How is this even a question?

:)

On thing I have been thinking about is ONLY in the situation of a gun in the night stand, not chambering a round.

Reasoning:

It is dark and you are sleeping. Middle of the night sound, you will min most situations have time. WHat I am thinking you would avoid in that sleepy dark, panicky grab for the gun in the middle of the night inadvertently snatching the trigger and send a round in the next room and alerting the BG.

What do you think?

I think you should have something covering the trigger guard.

In a quite house, racking a slide can be pretty noisy too.

Nolacopusmc

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Oct 22, 2008
    New Orleans, LA
    I think you should have something covering the trigger guard.

In a quite house, racking a slide can be pretty noisy too.

True, but if i hear the window break or door kick in, I will not be as concerned with the noise I make as much as getting to my gear, that said, the time taken to rack the slide is minimal in a non- FTF encounter.

however, i agree that a simple nylon sleeve type holster or that sexy kydex thing you guys have over the trigger guard alone may do the trick.

kdick3

Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 21, 2009
    Baton Rouge, LA
    If the gun's in my truck depends which one it is. My LCP is constantly in a half cocked position and if it's in my truck I don't have a round chambered. Because I don't want to be paying attention to some suspicious looking characters, and reach blindly under my seat with a chambered round in my gun. Just because I don't know of a situation where I'd REALLY absolutely need my gun right then and there while driving, since I'm careful of my surroundings... Especially at night.

Now if I go through a drive through, or park in a parking lot, or am somewhere where I can't see what's around me or may be in a situation where I will stop paying attention to what's around me I'll chamber one right there.

But other than that, yes, chambered always.

Storm52

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 18, 2009
    Shreveport
    The decision to carry a gun on you/with you brings with it many concerns. You made a conscious judgement, hopefully well thought through, to use deadly force if necessary. You should be thoroughly familiar with your weapon. This being the case and finding the need of carrying, why would you not have your gun completely at the ready should the need arise? The time to draw and present the gun may be critical to your safety as well as those dependent upon you. The situation, already stressful, would be exacerbated by having to remember to rack the slide, insure round has chambered and then take aim. We all think we would go to auto-pilot and our methods, so well practiced, would take over. I doubt if that would be the real case. As adrenaline is released and the fight or flight emotion kicks into full gear, what you have imagined while at the range or at home, probably won't be happening in the real world.
    I don't want to worry with chambering a round when time may be highly important. Nor do I want to be concerned with shaking hands, looking at the gun while I load. I want to come up with the gun at ready and pull the trigger, should that be necessary. My 2¢

Last edited:

nikolai

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Sep 13, 2006
    Houston, TX
    With one in the chamber, you would be lucky to unholster, bring the weapon out and fire a round quick enough to stop someone. Without a round in the chamber, you might as well leave it at home, in a safe, with a trigger lock, and no mag.

Gus McCrae

No sir, I ain't.
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Feb 25, 2009
    Colorado
    Generally, if you need a gun, you need it now. More time to rack the slide and further manipulation just complicates things in what is already a high stress situation. You should have a round chambered and safety on (if there is one), the gun should be in a holster.

Got kids? Keep the gun on you secured in a holster.

Keep it in the car? Keep it in a holster in your car. I generally keep mine in a Jumbo Versipack when I have to keep it in the car.

Keep it by the bed? A holster will enable you to find the gun without the possibility of placing your finger in the trigger hole while searching. Keep it in a familiar location in a familiar position. My bed is low to the ground, and I generally keep it in the same versipack, but with the zipper open. I can quickly and easily grab the gun in the dark without placing my finger on the trigger. If nothing else, you must just be familiar with the position and location of the firearm when in bed.

Conceyted

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 13, 2008
    Metairie, LA
    If you don't want to carry a round in the chamber you may as well leave the gun at home and carry a rock instead. At least then you won't scratch your gun up when you use the rock to hit someone with in self defense situations.

flamatrix99

Rating - 100%
    62   0   0
    Oct 7, 2008
    Zachary, La
    Even I do and my gun sits in my car...most of the time.

This for me too... Even though I have a CHP I don't carry most of the time.

When I first started carrying a gun on me or with me I never had a round in the chamber. As I got more comfortable with it and I got a holster to protect the trigger I loaded a round in the chamber and always do now.

Last edited:

zero_one

Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    May 23, 2009
    Abita Springs
    One in chamber, All guns should be treated as if they are loaded. I've seen to many mistakes and close encounters when people think there gun chamber is empty.

Barney88PDC

SEND IT
    Rating - 100%
    34   0   0
    Jul 16, 2008
    Somewhere over the rainbow
    If you have kids that can access your gun and you have a round in the chamber YOU ARE AN IDIOT! If you have a gun loaded (magizine only) without one in the chamber that kids can access YOU ARE AN IDIOT! If you have unsecure guns around your home that are unloaded as well as amminution for those guns unsecure that your kids can access YOU ARE AN IDIOT!

If the gun is and will stay ON YOUR PERSON IN YOUR FULL CONTROL 100% OF THE TIME I would carry with one in the chamber. If you do not feel comfortable doing so then I would recommend you getting some professional training and practice until you do feel comfortable carring with a chambered round. NEVER do ANYTHING with a firearm that you are not comfortable doing. Training and practice are key. Just because 1,000 people tell you, you are wrong for not having a loaded round, do not feel pressured into doing so just to "go with the flow" get some training and once YOU are comfortable doing so carry with a chambered round.

Now I will let the bashing begin but before anyone retorts ask yourself if you could live after hearing a loud bang and walking into a room in your house and seeing your gun and your kid on the ground.

Top Bottom