How many of you carry a round in the chamber?

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Round in the chamber for carry?

• Total voters

FishingBack

Slave to Society
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 30, 2009
    If you leave your gun in your holster, you won't accidentally pull the trigger. Whipping the weapon out should not be done to show off or play around. If you are practicing the draw from the holster, make sure nobody is at any time covered by the barrel.

flamatrix99

Rating - 100%
    62   0   0
    Oct 7, 2008
    Zachary, La
    Also, as the point of kids has come up.

I don't have any, but my plans are simple enough. There will be two pistols loaded and ready to go, hidden and out of reach of the kids, one for me, and one for my wife, on each side of the bed. Everything else will be unloaded. I will educate and shoot with my kids, and as everyone else has said, show them anything they want anytime they way(about guns), but His and Hers guns will be hidden and out of reach of the kids.

I have a pistol loaded in the house and a shotgun. My 15 yo step daughter lives with us and she knows where all the guns are. She knows not to touch them. She actually went with me to my CHP class and the instructor (Gordon Hutchinson) Gave her a certificate for attending an NRA Handgun Safety Class. She has gone shooting with us many times and has allot of fun with it.

My 11 you son is here this summer. He has attended a Hunter's Safety Class back home with his step dad and has also gone shooting. Since he has been here we have gone several times this sumer. You really don't want him shooting at you.

Both know that if they want to see the guns we will take them out and look/talk about anything they like. I hope that the mystery of guns has been removed. God forbid if they are ever at someone's house and that kid pulls out Dad's gun to show off they can either point it in a safe direction and call an adult or get the hell out of there.

goodburbon

Whalmitfahrer
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Oct 9, 2008
    Around
    Loaded.

I have a 3 year old in the house and I keep the loaded ones out of his reach, but I keep guns around him all the time. He knows they are there and he doesn't play with them. When he first saw one he was about 1.5 and he said "pow pow" and went right for the trigger. Since then we have gotten him several of his own toys and trained him strictly not to point them at people. He'll pull them out and clean them when I clean mine. He'll help me clean mine. I'm constantly testing him by putting an unloaded gun where he will find it and secretly watching his reaction. His reactions have varied from going to get his own gun and put it next to it, to saying "mommy's powpow" or "daddy's powpow" to ignoring it, he no longer is compelled to touch them and hasn't done so in about a year. When handling his toys I'm constantly coaching muzzle awareness and trigger awareness. We're covering all the basics of safety plus some and I'm not constantly fearful of "what if my child finds my gun".

I do the same with knives, machetes etc. He won't touch them but he'll let you know they're there.

Now if I could only get him to stop going outside with no shoes on and tearing up his socks.

Gbav1

Concealed Carrier
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 18, 2008
    Marrero,La.
    Always, if not you should just carry a big rock.
    Use common sense around kids, and stupid growups.
    When you chose to carry, some responsibity comes along with it,l
    like knowing every second the statis of your firearm.
    Good Luck

Gbav1

Concealed Carrier
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 18, 2008
    Marrero,La.
    It can get kinda confusing if you start chambering sometimes, but not al the time.
    Let me think, did I chamber my gun or not punk, do you feel lucky, do ya?
    If you do it all the time, you will learn to treat every gun as if it is loaded.
    Sort of like locking your car doors, do it all the time and you will never lock your keys in the car by accident.

tunatuk

Gold Member
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jun 30, 2007
    Ascension Parish
    Had to go over this with some new friends of mine this past weekend.

You see a gun in my house, it IS loaded. I'm not just talking about the 4 fundamentals, where you treat it as if it is...I promise you it is.

I have topgunz1's G22 over here, and even IT is loaded.

LACamper

oldbie
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jun 3, 2007
    Metairie, LA
    Chambered while I'm carrying. Unloaded if I'm not. I've got a kid.

BTW, i read an interview with an Iraeli LEO a while back. It said that they carry empty chamber and train to chamber on the draw. I'd be curious to see the first round times...

WB5QBK

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Oct 16, 2008
    Caddo Parish
    Carrying on my person = chambered round and full magazine or cylinder loaded.

Frequently the G22 is tossed in a gym bag (unholstered) in the front seat while running errands to prevent FINDING the trigger while fishing it out of the bag. If traveling certain areas, it mysteriously comes out of the bag, gets cycled and either held in hand or stuffed beside the seat for ready access. I can cycle the action much faster than I can get a holster off of the firearm and MAINTAIN BETTER MUZZLE CONTROL while doing so.

The secret is to practice what you do and stay familiar with it. If I dump a round from habitually cycling, so be it. I practice reloading with a magazine from the pocket too.

Speedlace

LOL...right?
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 23, 2007
    Police assurances on his gear are music to DJ's ears

BRIAN LEWIS was leaving his apartment, heading to a gig as a disc jockey in January 2005, when three guys jumped him.

Two of them pulled pistols.
    The men wanted his gear, including two CD mixers worth $499 each.

They also wanted Lewis to turn around and go back inside his house with them.

What the robbers didn't know was that Lewis had a gun, and a permit to carry it.

Lewis reached for his gun, telling the robbers he was pulling out the key to his door.

Lewis aimed across his body, drawing a bead on the head of one man aiming a pistol at his back.

Click.

The gun was loaded, but there was no bullet in the chamber.

The two robbers heard the pistol's dry fire and blasted away, shooting Lewis in the back.

"I was able to stand my ground and get a round in there," Lewis said.

"I turned around, started yelling and shooting back. I shot every bullet I had in my clip. I just kept pulling the trigger."

Lewis hit two of the three men, killing one of them. Lewis slumped to the ground and briefly passed out.

He woke up worried about the two robbers still alive.

"I was scared to death," he said. "I was shot. I wasn't going to wait until they finished me off. I got the hell out of there."...

:)

honestlou

Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 17, 2009
    Baton Rouge
    Carrying, or in the car, or in the nightstand (any time it is intended to be available for use)--always one in the chamber. There are more aerodynamic and less expensive things to throw at people.

paddle007

Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Apr 15, 2009
    Covington
    I"m a rookie with CCW but here is my two cents worth.
    Always chambered and in a holster. Damn Glocks and Kahrs draw me in like Homer to the sirens. No safety helps me to focus on the task and NEVER take it for granted. Everyone around me knows if they see one of my pistols it is chambered. Only exception is if I am cleaning it.
    Bought and fell for the pm9 first. Then to keep continuity bought a Glock 23 for the times when a larger pistol was appropiate. I do not want to own pistols with different configurations. No confusion. Draw,squeeze,boom.
    But then there are no young ones in my household. I can understand your situation and often wondered how I would deal with small children bumping around.

Top Bottom