How many of you carry a round in the chamber?

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Round in the chamber for carry?

• Total voters

Crusader

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 4, 2007
    Always

One in the chamber for over forty years. When my 4 kids were young the gun was kept where they couldn't get to it. Now when any young kids, teenagers or alduts whom I am not comfotable with their knowledge of gun safety vist the guns are in the safe. Bye the way it has not been the same chamber or round for the forty years. ;)

Last edited:

James Cannon

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 31, 2010
    Laffy
    I was NOT going to finish watching that video, but after that comment, I had to go back and see it. I still wish I hadn't. And I really HATE to say that I'm one who agrees with THAT guy. Of course I'm more worried about shoot off the family jewels than laying unconscious in the woods and a kid happens to walk by.

Modern guns can only go off when the trigger is pulled. Everything else is just needless junk that gets in the way.

St.Francisville

Hardheaded Young'n
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 12, 2010
    Wilson, LA
    I carry a round in the chamber, hammer not cocked, safety off. I carry a Beretta 92fs, which is double action. I feel that carrying this way is no different than carrying a Glock with a hot pipe, as the 92fs is DA/SA. Not much point in carrying a gun if it isn't readily able to be used the second it clears your holster. That's just my $0.02 though.

LA_Huntsman

Call of Booty
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Sep 15, 2006
    St. Joseph
    after the dust has settled and the mess is cleaned up... rest assured that the gun that doesn't have a round chambered will be safer when NOLA disassembles it :D

Doug.38PR

*Banned*
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 23, 2009
    Backwoods Louisiana
    I answered assuming the original post was talking about semi-autos. My answer is "depends on what I am doing" If I am driving home through a city with stoplights or near a rough part of town, a round will be racked in the chamber. Whenever I get inside or at home...the gun comes out of holster and the round is removed IMMEDIATELY.
    If I'm walking in the woods or drivng down the road during the day, empty chamber.

I don't care what all the "dude wheres-my-glock young cops" that want to be Bruce Willis, Keanu Reeves or Mel Gibson say. A chambered round in a semi-auto (except for MAYBE a 1911A1) is an "oops" accident or an "OMGsh" disaster waiting to happen. I don't care how consciencious you are, all it takes is one careless moment...and we all have them).

This is partially why I almost always carry a revolver. In which case all 6 chambers are always loaded (Six for Sure)

Last edited:

Tater

Mud Puppy
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 13, 2010
    Leesville
    Doug, whats the difference between a revolver with all six in it vs a glock with one in the chamber? Both situations: squeeze trigger, gun goes bang, don't squeeze trigger, gun doesn't go bang..

Sin-ster

GM of 4 Letter Outbursts
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Doug, whats the difference between a revolver with all six in it vs a glock with one in the chamber? Both situations: squeeze trigger, gun goes bang, don't squeeze trigger, gun doesn't go bang..

I would imagine the difference in pull weight between the striker fired Glock and DA revolver is Doug's focus. A DA/SA semi-auto would be very similar in pull.

If we are talking about an exposed trigger or ND under stress, I might be persuaded to agree with Doug. But holster carry, I fail to see the difference. And the advantages of point-and-shoot polymer bottom feeders over any other pistol (especially a revolver) makes them the best choice for me. Avoid putting a competition trigger on your striker fired pistol and you should be fine. I think 4.5 is as light as I would ever go, and only if it was necessary to clean up the over all pull, as per my M&P that draws just below 5.

Top Bottom