How many of you carry a round in the chamber?

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Round in the chamber for carry?

• Total voters

Guate_shooter

LA CHP Instructor # 522
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Dec 4, 2009
    (Breaux Bridge)
    Coked and locked ALWAYS, eventhough I do remember reading an article where some of the upper states require for you to carry on an empty chamber I believe Virginia is one of them weird places. Instructors from Israel became worldwide famous with their techniques to draw-rack and slide out one step to cover anybody that might be walking with you or a security detail but in modern gunfighting it's as obsolete as showing up to a gum fight with a knife.

I understand your main concern is heaving kids around I have a 4 year old who has been trained since he was born to never touch daddys guns, and eventhough he has his own guns he knows there are rules to follow which involved letting me check to make sure it's offloaded, then he checks to make sure it's offloaded and only then he can take her out to shoot in the backyard with adult supervision, if you allow them to be part of it it takes the fascination away and it becomes a tool, this way he won't feel the anxiety to play with it on his own and if he did he knows the steps to follow. I remember growing up with a military dad and we would clean his guns when we were about 6 years old and to us it was something commun, if you make it a
    tabu you are giving them a reasson to wonder

SirIsaacNewton

Rating - 100%
    31   0   0
    Jul 22, 2009
    New Orleans, LA
    Is this an indirect way of asking us guys if we have had vasectomies? Because if so I don't think Melisa caught on...... Either way my answer is yes so we are good to go.

shootinfool

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 5, 2010
    I'm getting ready to apply for my CCW, so this is new to me... I havent even yet decided on my carry gun yet, but I have given this thought as well.

I have to concur with everyone on this thread who has said you need to be ready, and comfortable enough with the weapon to NOT worry about a chambered round. I was in a potentially life-threatening situation recently involving another firearm in which it would have served me well had I been armed. If I would have had to chamber a round first I MIGHT not have had time.

My thoughts in favor of a 'compromise' for the nightstand and possible kid issues, perhaps, would be to use only a revolver or a double-action semi-auto, because the DA trigger pull requires a lot more force to prevent a possible accidental discharge.

Nolacopusmc

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Oct 22, 2008
    New Orleans, LA
    From another thread....

I just went through this with my 7 year old nephew. I took him to the range one time and he loves it (long story there:rolleyes:). He can recite the firearm safety rules and articulate to you why you do each one. Granted, he is a VERY bright child for his age.

I will honestly say I have absolutely no reservations whatsoever about leaving any gun i own loaded and on the table in front of him and walking away. Now, would I actually do it, no. But I know he knows he is not to touch them and he understands why. He is educated--not curious or scared. It is a thing between him and I to make sure he knows the safety rules and about not touching guns unless I am with him. He is proud to tell them to me and show me he knows them. It is a way for him to show me he is a "big boy".

With me being gone, my wife still has her G19 in her nightstand. When I was home, she would put hers on top of the closet, because I always had a gun or two on me. I did not want her doing that while they were sleeping alone in the house.

So, before I left, I unloaded it, "suspended" the safety rules and told him if he could pull the slide back, I would take him to Toys-R-Us and he could get anything he wanted, and on the way back, we would stop for a snowball.

Well, he could not move the slide even a 1/4".

So, while I'm away, when he is over, and ONLY when he is over, the G19 gets downloaded to magazine inserted and no round in the chamber. This allows her to have the gun available and there is no way he can physically fire the weapon.

CAVEAT!!!!! This is the only time that a gun used for defense IMO should not have a round loaded in the chamber.

Most importantly, we went to the range several times and drilled immediate action to make sure she knew when she pulled that trigger, if it did not go bang, what to do. We practiced to the point that I was comfortable with her ability to do it. ;)

Furthermore, this technique works RIGHT NOW, for THAT CHILD, in MY HOUSE. Each parent or adult has to figure out what will work for them based on the demeanor, age, size, and overall maturity of the child. I can remember growing up, that everyday, my dad's wallet, keys, pocket knife, and gun went on top of the refrigerator. I was never told, but it was common knowledge wether it was a gun or a roll of lifesavers--you don't F with Dad's ****! A lot has to do with how you run your household and the level of discipline that the children have grown accustomed to which will define how far they are willing to push the limits.

I am a firm believer that if you make firearms a part of a child's life, it removes the curiosity. A knife is just as dangerous as a firearm, but children are acclimatized to them through seeing adults and eventually themselves use them to eat. It is just a tool to them that has a utilitarian purpose. They know not to stick it in there eye, and even the most hard cased droolers and window kickers generally know not to stick it in a light socket.

Make firearms a part of your family's lifestyle and take due diligence and common sense in safety, and you should be OK.

Last edited:

deafdave3

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Apr 26, 2010
    I'm getting ready to apply for my CCW, so this is new to me... I havent even yet decided on my carry gun yet, but I have given this thought as well.

I have to concur with everyone on this thread who has said you need to be ready, and comfortable enough with the weapon to NOT worry about a chambered round. I was in a potentially life-threatening situation recently involving another firearm in which it would have served me well had I been armed. If I would have had to chamber a round first I MIGHT not have had time.

My thoughts in favor of a 'compromise' for the nightstand and possible kid issues, perhaps, would be to use only a revolver or a double-action semi-auto, because the DA trigger pull requires a lot more force to prevent a possible accidental discharge.

A wise man once said, "you might be spending the rest of your life trying to chamber a round."

themcfarland

tactical hangover
    Rating - 100%
    58   0   0
    Dec 6, 2008
    Destrehan
    I always carry loaded and condition 1..

IF you dont, then you shouldnt be carrying a gun.. it will just escalate the situation..

pulling a gun should be a last resort.. right before bang..

Tim67

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 20, 2010
    EBR
    I am torn between having a round in the chamber or not. The idea that it is there when i need it is obvious. Would I even have time to manually chamber a round if i ever had to use my weapon? <-----that is what i keep asking myself.

Can some of you give me different points of view on the subject, please? My concern is my 2 year old in the house/truck although the gun is always in my holster and out of reach if i am at home.

For reference purposes, I carry a G27 if that makes any difference with either a Blackhawk sepra holster or an IWB depending on my activities for the day.

If you're uneasy about carrying your pistol with a round in the chamber, get a gun that you comfortable carrying ready to go.

If you carry a DA revolver with the hammer on an empty chamber (to prevent an AD if dropped), your first trigger pull will rotate a fresh chamber into the firing position. You get the empty chamber safety and still have "point and shoot" readiness. Your Glock should be pretty safe as long as you protect the trigger. The Glock will not fire due to an impact without the trigger being pulled. I recall that in the first Glock article I saw in G&A, Jan Libourel chambered a primed case and beat the gun every way from Sunday. The striker never released.

As far as the 2-year-old is concerned, secure the gun whenever it is not on your person. In other words, don't try to make the gun safe for him to play with; see to it that he can't play with it.

Last edited:

posse comatosis

Hoo-ahh!
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 15, 2008
    Bayou Perdition

drumz2129

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 29, 2009
    Sulphur, La.
    Smith and Wesson revolvers made after WWII also have an intergal hammer block to prevent AD's. Carry a modern DA revo with a full cylinder.

Transfer bar safety is what you are talking about. All modern revolvers that I have handled have them.

Back to the OP, always, to those who do not due to children, get a safe. Just about every one of my guns that are in the safe are loaded and chambered. The first thing I do when I remove the gun, assuming I am not using it right then, is clear the chamber. As for a night stand gun, bolt one of these to the side of your bed or night stand. http://www.gunvault.com/handgun-safes/mini-mini-deluxe.html They are very quick and easy to get into without looking, your fingers slide right into place and the door springs open.

Hardballing

Rating - 100%
    38   0   0
    Jan 8, 2010
    Metairie, LA
    Well....just to stir the pot a tad...while I personally will always one up the pipe...I was lucky enough years ago to have undergone some training with several gentlemen from the IDF. Those guys were amazing in their ability to pull, rack, present, and boom. That was 1000% a training issue and I never thought, then or now, that it was for me.

And I would also point out that prior to the intro of the M9 (82? 85?), the carry policy of the US Armed Forces was empty chamber carry only. And LOTS of guys were trained that way.

Is it better? No, not imo, slower by a HUGE margin (and there are other issues for me, such as the aforementioned injuries, disabled limb, etc), when seconds or even miliseconds may count. But...if you gotta go that route, you CAN train to be fast on that system. Very fast. I've seen it done. Just not for me.

Last edited:

tea333

Dysfunctional Vet
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 25, 2009
    Shreveport, LA
    I CC either a Ruger SP 101, .357 magnum or Kimber Ultra Raptor II. The revolver is a moot point but in my Ultra Raptor II I always carry in Condition One.

shootinfool

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 5, 2010
    I've heard a lot about the SP series...in particular the SP101 for CCW if going the revolver route. I like .357 magnum a lot...and of course it's easy to train with .38 spl or lighter loaded magnum rounds.

BobKaro

Yellow Boxes? Sweet!
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 16, 2008
    Youngsville, LA
    Not all modern single action revolvers have a transfer bar safety (Not to mention, there are still alot of older ones out there). I carry with an empty one under the hammer just to keep things consistent.

Other than that? Double action revolvers and autos have one in the pipe if carrying.

Yrdawg

*Banned*
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 24, 2006
    Big Woods
    If you can't carry a round in the chamber. Please don't carry.

WOW...it took 101 postses to get to the solution

Don't go around with an unloaded gun ( if pullin the trigger won't go boom it's unloaded )
    Don't have a gun with a manual safety

Dawgs rules of carry

Nolacopusmc

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Oct 22, 2008
    New Orleans, LA
    WOW...it took 101 postses to get to the solution

Don't go around with an unloaded gun ( if pullin the trigger won't go boom it's unloaded )
    Don't have a gun with a manual safety

Dawgs rules of carry

So all those guys with 1911', Berettas, Rugers, HK, etc. are all wrong?:eek3:

Dems fighting words dude.:cool:

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Mikeyy504
    Top Bottom