How many of you carry a round in the chamber?

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Round in the chamber for carry?

• Total voters

BRLAShooter

Smart @$$ Extraordinaire
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 4, 2009
    Baton Rouge, LA
    I have two, both have a round in the chamber at all times. IMHO, If I am going to remove my gun from it's holster and point it at a BG, the situation has escalated to the point where I WILL be firing, therefore, I don't want to have to chamber a round at that point; that would only waste precious seconds I need to defend myself and my family.

jbonnette

Rating - 100%
    27   0   0
    Mar 22, 2009
    Denham Springs
    I'm in the minority. I don't.

I have kids in the house and don't feel comfortable with keeping one in the chamber. Unless you have it secured on your person at the house, I don't feel you can rule out the possibility of one of your kids eventually getting a hold of it.

Personally, I practice drawing and chambering a bullet at the same time as I am raising the gun...seems to work fine for me.

It seems that everyone thinks that if you are ever in the situation where you "need a gun" that you'll have only a split-second to draw and shoot. For me, I don't imagine most situations will be like an old western, the quickest to draw wins. I'd be interested to see any studies/data/first-hand experiences on the subject.

I'm ready... :exnbp:

Gus McCrae

No sir, I ain't.
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Feb 25, 2009
    Colorado
    If you have kids that can access your gun and you have a round in the chamber YOU ARE AN IDIOT! If you have a gun loaded (magizine only) without one in the chamber that kids can access YOU ARE AN IDIOT! If you have unsecure guns around your home that are unloaded as well as amminution for those guns unsecure that your kids can access YOU ARE AN IDIOT!

If the gun is and will stay ON YOUR PERSON IN YOUR FULL CONTROL 100% OF THE TIME I would carry with one in the chamber. If you do not feel comfortable doing so then I would recommend you getting some professional training and practice until you do feel comfortable carring with a chambered round. NEVER do ANYTHING with a firearm that you are not comfortable doing. Training and practice are key. Just because 1,000 people tell you, you are wrong for not having a loaded round, do not feel pressured into doing so just to "go with the flow" get some training and once YOU are comfortable doing so carry with a chambered round.

Now I will let the bashing begin but before anyone retorts ask yourself if you could live after hearing a loud bang and walking into a room in your house and seeing your gun and your kid on the ground.

I don't have a problem with this.

Dave328

Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Jul 11, 2007
    Gretna
    IMHO, if you feel you are ready and prepared to carry a pistol, but are unsure/nervous/leery about carrying it with one in the pipe, well then you need to revisit the whole carrying issue and DON'T. Just like Concyted said, you might as well carry a rock, because that's about as useful it'll be when needed. I do not own a single gun that is NOT loaded and ready to fire in the time it takes me to snake my boogerhook onto the boom lever!

topgunz1

Gold Member
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Sep 13, 2006
    Prairieville
    100% of the time. The only exception being my AR and shotguns due to office policy. An unchambered defense weapon is a $500 paperweight.

If you are unsure of your ability to safely handle a weapon in stressfull situations, you dont need a firearm. You are a bigger liability to yourself and your loved ones through unsafe gun handling than you are unarmed.

A violent encounter is likely to never happen, but you will be handling that weapon every day.

Last edited:

bs875

Rating - 100%
    232   0   0
    Mar 14, 2009
    Baton Rouge
    Carrying on your person, one in the chamber. Having it at home, no round in the chamber. You probably don't need that extra second reaction time in the house like you might on the street. In the car, it's a judgement call but if you routinely have a kid(s) in the car then I could see not having one. You might forget and step out of the car just for a second and leave the two together. Not worth it versus the unlikely need to have that extra time in a carjack situation. But I always stay alert at stoplights and when slowing.

Kraut

LEO
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Oct 3, 2007
    Slidell, LA
    Yeah, I've seen "Point of No Return" where the trainer/mentor guy tells her "Never chamber the first round" as if it's some great way to stay alive to assume your enemy will disarm you and fail to shoot you with your own gun. As much ridiculous bullsh!t was in that movie, that part had to be the most bullsh!t of all! I don't push around a dead vehicle with a full can of gas in the trunk, ready to pour it in when I REALLY need it. I don't keep my cellphone battery in a separate pocket to be attached only when I REALLY need to make a call. Why would anyone thinking about the possibility of having to use deadly force to save their life or the lives of their loved ones even remotely consider carrying without a round in the chamber, thereby giving extra time to their attacker? That's carrying, for which the only purpose is defense of your life and that of others.

In house, a different story depending on your household situation. I used to never leave any guns available anywhere when my stepson still lived with us, he had awful judgment, couldn't be trusted. He's gone now, but my 5 year old is really hitting that independent "I'm just gonna see what's in this closet/on this top shelf/in this box for myself" phase, and has been known to precariously stack all manner of available items to reach high places. Locked up only now, unless it's on my person. Therefore, see the first paragraph.

Last edited:

whbonney26

Rating - 100%
    37   0   0
    Nov 2, 2008
    Pearl River, LA
    I put sometimes because it depends on how and when im carrying. If im going CC I keep one in the chamber. If I have it in my console in my truck I dont have one chambered unless my kids are NOT with me.

My kids shoot with me and know gun saftey. They also know that if they want to see a gun let me know and I will gladly show it to them. That way there is no curiosity to get the gun when im not there but....... I dont want to run the risk of one of them getting it with a live round in the chamber. I figure that there is more of that risk on a day to day basis than being attacked. Its a trade off but im okay with that. I will take my chances on being able to chamber one if need be rather than having a kid get it.

When im CC or with other adults I always have one in the chamber because I also feel that if there is not one in the chamber it does not do any good.

parallel

Often Beside Himself
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 3, 2009
    LaPlace, Louisiana
    I didn't have time to read this entire thread, but I imagine that you have received many responses such as the following. Yes, you should have a round in the chamber, particularly when you are carrying the firearm. The firearm that you carry should be capable of doing so safely, otherwise it is time to rethink your choice of CCW. As for keeping the tot safe. If you are carrying the firearm then retention of that firearm should be a priority to begin with, not just due to having a child present. When you are home and the firearm is not physically on your person, you need to get a good quick access home safe. Don't bother with the "bio vault", I'll post the reasons why later tonight when I have more time as well as provide some insight form my experiences with quick access safes.

kcinnick

Training Ferrous Metal
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Dec 24, 2008
    Baton Rouge
    I don't keep one in the chamber unless my firearm is on my body. My concern is my 2 year old son and the only time I can guarantee he cannot get it is when I am wearing it.

grits

infidel
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Sep 22, 2006
    New Iberia
    I carry a revolver, if the time comes that I need to use it I am sure the bad guy wont wait while I have a Barney Fife moment pulling my bullet from my shirt pocket.

jgreco15

The Zebra
    Rating - 100%
    53   0   0
    Feb 15, 2009
    Lafayette, LA
    Thanks for making the poll public. If I ever decide to be a criminal I know who to stick up. :cool:

any stranger who is found in my home uninvited better have said his prayers!

just to clarify (because I don't think i was clear on some points), i am completely comfortable carrying with a round in the chamber. the reason i asked this question is because i have not found a GREAT place to keep my holstered gun when i am at home and it is not on me. i know my weapon very well and spend lots of range time practicing. i do not keep rifle and shotguns loaded in my house because i have two handguns that are readily available if ever needed and one of those goes with me everyday. both remain in holsters at all times so i'm not at all worried about an accidental trigger pull during a scramble to find said weapon.

My kids shoot with me and know gun saftey. They also know that if they want to see a gun let me know and I will gladly show it to them. That way there is no curiosity to get the gun when im not there but....... I dont want to run the risk of one of them getting it with a live round in the chamber. I figure that there is more of that risk on a day to day basis than being attacked. Its a trade off but im okay with that. I will take my chances on being able to chamber one if need be rather than having a kid get it.

When im CC or with other adults I always have one in the chamber because I also feel that if there is not one in the chamber it does not do any good.

i'm with whbonney26. my son is nearing the 2 year old milestone and i fully intend to teach him as well if not better than my father taught me about firearms. i will always let him see any of my guns anytime he wants to avoid the curiosity. at the same time, i will be strict about safety and teach him. i can already see him eyeing my gun when i get home and play with him on the ground. if we are wrestling and my shirt comes up, he looks at the butt of the gun with the "whats that?" look.

BRLAShooter

Smart @$$ Extraordinaire
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 4, 2009
    Baton Rouge, LA
    For me, it's not about the time needed to pull the slide back, I understand that it's not more than half a second, but, fact of the matter is, I don't pull and point unless I intend to shoot. I don't pull a gun to scare, in hopes that I don't have to use it. I was told by a former LEO a long time ago, You don't pull your weapon unless you are going to pull the trigger as well.

BRLAShooter

Smart @$$ Extraordinaire
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 4, 2009
    Baton Rouge, LA
    Also, as the point of kids has come up.

I don't have any, but my plans are simple enough. There will be two pistols loaded and ready to go, hidden and out of reach of the kids, one for me, and one for my wife, on each side of the bed. Everything else will be unloaded. I will educate and shoot with my kids, and as everyone else has said, show them anything they want anytime they way(about guns), but His and Hers guns will be hidden and out of reach of the kids.

Top Bottom