Ideas for new 9mm

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • 1911Dave

Rating - 100%
    60   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Mandeville
    Thinking about getting a new 9mm. Not looking for a carry gun. Just looking for something for plinking at the range.

Have been eyeing up mainly Sig's and H&K. I know there are people who will only vote for one or the other due to hating the other but that's cool. Just want some input.

Have it down to to a H&K P30 or a Sig 229 or 226. I thought the H&K felt amazing in my hand and out of all the ones I was holding today, it felt the best. Close second was the Sig P229 Scorpion. I really liked how it felt and the beavertail on it. Not looking at compact versions of either. Also liked the P226 Tac Ops. I know the H&K would be the choice if I were carrying it. Just looking for some opinions.

1911Dave

Rating - 100%
    60   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Mandeville
    I would buy another one of whatever you carry, but I'm boring and think "range toys" are silly.

I don't have a CCW. I said in the second sentence I am not looking for a carry gun. Sorry if range toys are silly to you. Its what I enjoy doing for a hobby

Last edited:

Sin-ster

GM of 4 Letter Outbursts
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    You will enjoy shooting a well put together 1911 in that caliber more than anything else.

My vote would go to an STI-- Trojan or Spartan, depending on your budget, plans to upgrade, etc.

If you're going for a "range toy", you may as well go all of the way. A combat-oriented pistol (especially those with price tags like you're talking about) doesn't seem to fit the bill, especially when one company's QC has tanked notably in the past few years, and the other by definition thinks "you suck, and [they] hate you."

1911Dave

Rating - 100%
    60   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Mandeville
    You will enjoy shooting a well put together 1911 in that caliber more than anything else.

My vote would go to an STI-- Trojan or Spartan, depending on your budget, plans to upgrade, etc.

If you're going for a "range toy", you may as well go all of the way. A combat-oriented pistol (especially those with price tags like you're talking about) doesn't seem to fit the bill, especially when one company's QC has tanked notably in the past few years, and the other by definition thinks "you suck, and [they] hate you."

I can agree along those lines. I had thought of getting a Dan Wesson Guardian, but was a bit more than I wanted to spend right now. I hadnt thought about looking into STI, but will check out and see what they have in my price range.

Guate_shooter

LA CHP Instructor # 522
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Dec 4, 2009
    (Breaux Bridge)
    Sig will have silly levers, decockers and safeties.

HK would be my choice even though those tend to be a little too sweet for my budget.

And I agree with Speed, I find that having a "range" toy is silly since you get used to the platform and controls and then unless your carry gun has them you will be looking for something that might not be there ..............

1911Dave

Rating - 100%
    60   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Mandeville
    Sig will have silly levers, decockers and safeties.

HK would be my choice even though those tend to be a little too sweet for my budget.

And I agree with Speed, I find that having a "range" toy is silly since you get used to the platform and controls and then unless your carry gun has them you will be looking for something that might not be there ..............

I dont have a carry gun or permit like I said, so thats not really an issue with me. I enjoy the hobby of shooting.

Last edited:

Tulse Luper

Besmirched!
    Rating - 100%
    64   0   0
    Oct 29, 2008
    Metairie
    HK P30 LEM. No extraneous crap like levers, decockers or safeties. Is there an echo in here? That way if you every do decide to carry it, it will be suitable. ;)

For a stellar range toy, how about an HK P7. More fun than a barrel of comedian monkeys.

JBP55

La. CHP Instructor #409
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    340   0   0
    Apr 15, 2008
    Walker
    I purchased a new Sig 229 DAO when they first came out in 357 Sig and enjoyed it for years other than the cost of the ammunition. I am sure I would have enjoyed the same pistol in 9mm DAO which would have a little less snap.

Cochise

is not here
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 19, 2012
    Calhoun
    Why a 229? For a range toy, the longer 226 would be better, wouldn't it? Maybe even one of the 226-X5's....:drool:

But if that or the HK's don't fit in your budget, don't forget about Beretta's. They can be found with no "silly levers" also.

Last edited:

1911Dave

Rating - 100%
    60   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Mandeville
    Why a 229? For a range toy, the longer 226 would be better, wouldn't it? Maybe even one of the 226-X5's....:drool:

But if that or the HK's don't fit in your budget, don't forget about Beretta's. They can be found with no "silly levers" also.

I did say 226's are one of the guns I am looking at also. Definitely in the running. Berettas are great guns, but just not what I am looking for.

Top Bottom